Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:46:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up  (Read 149424 times)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: June 24, 2014, 06:53:23 AM

It's due to be released on the last day of the Steam sale, June 30th. If they put it out on sale then I'll probably get it, otherwise I'll just peruse the reviews.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #71 on: June 24, 2014, 07:00:40 AM

But in what state is it? Is it really done?

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 24, 2014, 07:02:58 AM

Oh right, I have no idea.  awesome, for real
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: June 24, 2014, 07:11:18 AM

Hard to say in terms of promised content (e.g., quests, places to go, etc.), but in terms of mechanics, features, etc., it's done. And so far I'm fairly impressed.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #74 on: June 24, 2014, 10:04:42 AM

Yeah I've thrown way more time than I should have in to it in the last few days, considering my save will be wiped on the 30th. The game's stable, except for global chat, which comes and goes infrequently.  I've only encountered one bug which is a known issue that will be fixed in the patch according to steam's forums.  In all it's stable and complete, you just need to get used to the camera.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #75 on: June 24, 2014, 12:08:12 PM

The game is absolutely feature and content complete: I think they might just give another pass to class/spell/skill balance, and also tweak a few companions abilities. The only thing they cut (and that was promised as a stretch goal in the KS campaign) are day/night cycles, which they meant to integrate with some spell characteristics (plus with NPC schedules). It's still uncertain if they're going to implement them in a later patch.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: June 25, 2014, 12:21:20 PM

I'm just using this week to try-out different character pairings.

I'm a little concerned with the strangely uneven class abilities; they seem to think that they have 4 distinct spell casting classes; and yet Melee is just one big lump of abilities.

Stealth for me was clunky and I don't get why all the rogue (early) abilities have 10+ turn cool downs.  You could get the Melee catch-all bucket... but that requires editing the pre-builts.

Many of Talents seem odd - or, more accurately - hard to understand why they would be helpful - like: talk to animals.  Not, summon a pet to attack/defend, but as far as I can tell, a linguistic ability.  For all I know it will be wildly important somewhere in the "story" but it's hard to fathom why you would allocate one of two starting points to it.

I really like the look and feel of the game, and the optimistic side says that release will bring better documentation on why/how personality skills might be helpful... or possibly simply playing the game will have enough content and "forgiveness" that a point in Good Luck (or whatever it is called) will not be wasted.  The pessimist in me wonders if the game is put together to appear open worldy, but is really just a book read backwards where "talk to animals" is really really important - but only the authors know why.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #77 on: June 25, 2014, 06:20:35 PM

Good points, particularly about the melee vs spell skills.

The spell classes are also WILDLY uneven, at least in the early game.  Fire is useless as it applies burning, which is only extra damage.  Considering how you have to scrape for XP before the things outside the starter city won't kick your ass, that extra damage pales in comparison to "Freeze for x turns" or "stunned for 3 turns" or "knocked down, unable to move for 3 turns."

Then you compare the AP cost for skills and lighting pulls ahead pretty quick. Stuns often and works on all mobs you find in the early game and (at least on my caster) costs 1ap less than the fire or melee stuns.

2h weapon is so superior to 1h it's a joke to even try the latter. You can't dual wield and while I'm finding 1h that do 12-36 damage I'm finding 2h that do 36-76.

The talk to animals skill is useful for quest hints.  There's always an animal or two around (typically a rat) that will drop a hint about enemies near by or what you should be doing to advance. The dog was pretty clutch to figure out part of the murder quest for me, too. (Though what he told me was also revealed later.)  I can't imagine it's worth more than a single point, unless later on you can talk to Chimeras, etc.

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: June 26, 2014, 05:56:24 AM

Good points, particularly about the melee vs spell skills.

The spell classes are also WILDLY uneven, at least in the early game.  Fire is useless as it applies burning, which is only extra damage.  Considering how you have to scrape for XP before the things outside the starter city won't kick your ass, that extra damage pales in comparison to "Freeze for x turns" or "stunned for 3 turns" or "knocked down, unable to move for 3 turns."

Then you compare the AP cost for skills and lighting pulls ahead pretty quick. Stuns often and works on all mobs you find in the early game and (at least on my caster) costs 1ap less than the fire or melee stuns.

2h weapon is so superior to 1h it's a joke to even try the latter. You can't dual wield and while I'm finding 1h that do 12-36 damage I'm finding 2h that do 36-76.

The talk to animals skill is useful for quest hints.  There's always an animal or two around (typically a rat) that will drop a hint about enemies near by or what you should be doing to advance. The dog was pretty clutch to figure out part of the murder quest for me, too. (Though what he told me was also revealed later.)  I can't imagine it's worth more than a single point, unless later on you can talk to Chimeras, etc.

And obviously fire magic and 1h weapons should be far superior to everything else, just like every other rpg in history.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #79 on: June 26, 2014, 08:02:29 AM

That doesn't even deserve a response, so it's not getting one.

Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #80 on: June 26, 2014, 11:01:54 AM

And obviously fire magic and 1h weapons should be far superior to everything else, just like every other rpg in history.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Don't

him up!

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 27, 2014, 02:56:56 AM

Divinity Editor should be available sometime today: was supposed to be released yesterday, but apparently Steam didn't push the right buttons to deploy it :P (as the other toolkits, you will find it in the "Tools" section).

Here's yesterday Twitch stream where they teach a few of the basic stuff (they plan on releasing a series of video tutorials in the next few weeks) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz_BHdOmHdg

Don't expect a "tight" session full of info: there's improvisation, some downtime here and there, but also lots of decent info about the terrain manager, how to place objects, activate shadows and light sources and more.

First, official, written mini-guide about the editor basic setup:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=276611375

And finally, here's the Editor trailer  awesome, for real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyWpSpdiKhY
------

They also published the last early access update, 2.3GB; no patch notes, saves from previous build are not compatible.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #82 on: June 27, 2014, 07:15:55 AM

Pagz: +10

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: June 27, 2014, 07:39:02 AM

Written guide, part 2: Creating your first mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=276641529

Editor will be released at 10am PDT .

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: June 28, 2014, 03:09:25 PM

..."Two days later"... :P

From this post by Swen (Project Director and founder of Larian):

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=502044&page=2

We're still waiting for Valve to review it. Normally that happens within 24 hours but the Summer Sale is taking up all their time, so I'm afraid it'll only be there once the sale is over. There's nothing we can do on our side. The editor is on their servers so the moment they ok it, it'll be available for all

Yep, looks like Gabe is all

...nothing new, really :P.
--------------

In other news, it looks like some content has been cut, after all:

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=502142#Post502142

I can finally answer the question, since we just locked everything down and bar any critical issues, the version I'm playing now is the version that's being released on monday.

Pretty much everything we planned is in there, but we had to make a few changes to get things ready as Murphy has been rather active here in Gent, Belgium. Extra companions will come later but the henchmen are in (most likely extra henchmen will be added in function of the needs we see). There's one extra AI personality (loyal i.e. the same as if you had no cooperative dialog) and the others will be patched in afterwards. We've also cut some of the Phantom forest dungeons levels and may make those available for people to fool around with as mods.

As I mentioned before, given the scope of the game those are minor things, and if it weren't for the Kickstarter campaign, we'd probably not even communicate about it. As it stands, I think the game is highly enjoyable and feature packed. Obviously if you wait, you'll have the advantage of patches and a bit of extra content, but there seriously is already a big & fun adventure to be had.

So, nothing critical, although I might wait 'til more A.I. personalities are patched in; that post provoked an immediate and not so happy reaction, as you can imagine, both on the official and the Steam forum.

Swen replied:

You know, before answering the other question, there's something I want to say here which I think is important . A game is not a feature list. I look at D:OS and I can't believe how much we put in there - it's 5X the game we originally planned and I'm very proud of what my team accomplished with the few resources we had. What I'm the proudest of however that each feature that's there has sense, and isn't just something for the back of the box.

Whenever it came to deciding where we'd put our effort, we always prioritised according to what we thought would be the best for the game experience. If an existing area needed an extra iteration to make it more fun, we preferred that than just adding a region for the sake of quantity or feature boxes. It's a lot easier to make large boring areas than fun ones. If it came the improving the quality or importance of certain features in the game(e.g. perception or charisma) we preferred that over adding new things. Obviously that means that resources are used in a more focussed manner, but I think it benefited the game experience tremendously.

Tha said, we planned on 4 companions - 2 more will be added once we've taken some fresh air. The AI personalities are going to pop up when they're done which I expect to be fairly soon. As for the dungeons, that's really a non issue. The size and especially density of the world and dungeons that are there largely compensate. This was supposed to be a 40 hour game, it easily is a 60 to 100 hour game.

And I can easily believe him about the density and the length (and hopefully, that will ultimately translate in a fun game as well ) of the game, having played the original Divinity game. Looks like they REALLY needed to start raking in some money. They probably couldn't afford one more delay (maybe three weeks/one month delay would have been enough, considering the cuts they've done).

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: June 29, 2014, 07:41:21 AM

Cuts happen, that's part of software. I've seen nothing to lead me to believe they are really "rushing" the game, which is genuinely surprising. The amount of work completed and the professionalism of the product so far is very impressive.

The only reason they seem to be mentioning cuts at all, is because they Kickstarted the game. But I think they've delivered what they promised they would, and arguably more than that. And software (particularly game software) has an organic development process; if you want a fun game you can't just make bullet point features and call it a day.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 30, 2014, 03:27:41 AM

Seems to be 20% off currently on Steam. Any idea the exact time when it goes from Beta to release?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: June 30, 2014, 03:36:53 AM

Seems to be 20% off currently on Steam. Any idea the exact time when it goes from Beta to release?

I'll keep an eye on Swen's Twitter (https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian) throughout the day, but I suspect sometime after the end of the Steam sale (so, after 10am PDT - 7pm CET), maybe together with the release of the editor.

Reminder: this will also get released today on GOG. Patches on GOG will be slightly delayed compared to the Steam counterpart. Mods installation, editor compatibility between GOG and Steam etc. might also be a little tricky, at least in the first few weeks if Larian needs to make some adjustments on that part.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:46:45 AM by Lucas »

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: June 30, 2014, 07:26:47 AM

Downloading 1GB update to beta client now... says full version release. 

Given the large pre-release patch a few days ago, and no additional notes, I'm assuming it is just later stage content and no further ability or systems tweaking.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: June 30, 2014, 08:20:40 AM

Yep, game has been released  Thumbs up! In love on Steam. Looks like they're experiencing some troubles with KS key redemption, global chat disconnections and whatever else you might expect from a release day on the online/infrastructure side.
---

Last pre-release KS update (includes info about KS codes, slight delay of translations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKQObTZJEM4
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/894881

Editor should come out later today as expected. Here's a new, brief video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBzzYVK7cEI

As this video explains, since you can modify the main campaign, you can alter how existing skills, traits and whatever else comes to your mind (trap damage, for example) works.

schild
Administrator

Reply #90 on: June 30, 2014, 08:50:23 AM

Is there any random element to this game or is the entire thing scripted, worthy of a single playthrough? I simply don't expect good writing from Larian, so if there's no replay value, I'm going to wait for it to be $5 in 6 months.
WayAbvPar

Reply #91 on: June 30, 2014, 08:56:05 AM

Pulled the trigger on this today with 75 minutes to spare on the sale. Looks promising.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #92 on: June 30, 2014, 08:59:27 AM

It gave me a man voice despite choosing a female character.  :(

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #93 on: June 30, 2014, 09:13:38 AM

Is there any random element to this game or is the entire thing scripted, worthy of a single playthrough? I simply don't expect good writing from Larian, so if there's no replay value, I'm going to wait for it to be $5 in 6 months.

Wait.

schild
Administrator

Reply #94 on: June 30, 2014, 09:17:04 AM

Wait.
I asked for a review copy instead. We have a frontpage afterall.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: June 30, 2014, 09:31:03 AM

Twitch stream going on at Larian (in collaboration with Eurogamer), showing the very early game:

http://www.twitch.tv/larianstudios
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:35:29 AM by Lucas »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #96 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:10 AM

Wait.
I asked for a review copy instead. We have a frontpage afterall.

That works too.

It's a sandbox RPG. The 'main story' is secondary to the game anyway.  Skyrim's story wasn't all that great, but the game was worth it.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #97 on: June 30, 2014, 09:46:08 AM

Steam's frontpage says "Full Version Available", but the game's store page still says "Early Access".  Oh well, bought it today and won't get to play for two weeks anyway.  Woo, vacation!

E: No longer says "Early Access".
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:28:54 AM by Phildo »
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: June 30, 2014, 11:21:02 AM

Editor now available in the "Tools" section of the library ("The Divinity Engine"); size is 400MB
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:32:08 AM by Lucas »

schild
Administrator

Reply #99 on: June 30, 2014, 06:39:27 PM

I will theoretically be doing a review of this.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: June 30, 2014, 08:37:22 PM

Is there a manual for this game? The tutorial is more or less useless.
schild
Administrator

Reply #101 on: June 30, 2014, 08:40:41 PM

Tutorial is bad. Movement is horrifically slow out of combat. Non 360 degree rotation is obnoxious.

That said, I think I like it, even if its a time machine to 1999 with better graphics.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: June 30, 2014, 08:44:36 PM

Yeah the limited rotation annoyed me too. Is there some game design reason for it? Is it a graphical issue? I don't get it.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #103 on: June 30, 2014, 08:50:26 PM

There's an option to unlock full camera rotation under Game Settings, not video settings. When you do it warns you the base campaign isn't made to support it and it's there more for custom scenarios. I haven't bothered to try it, not bugging me that much yet but I'm barely past the tutorial.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:53:29 PM by CaptainNapkin »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #104 on: June 30, 2014, 10:50:18 PM

Uhh, I like how it gives me a bunch of magic schools/disciplines to choose from and tells me fuckall about them.   I could really use a manual here.

edit:  Eh fuck it, LET'S TRY THIS.   

I'm good now, but man, the initial character creation is no picnic.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:27:31 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up  
Jump to: