Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:43:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this game dead or?  (Read 382179 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1190 on: May 03, 2015, 05:20:44 AM

The drop rate is extremely low, and anyway its just for a few hours closed beta access

Hic sunt dracones.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1191 on: June 23, 2015, 12:28:04 PM

I just noticed a week ago or so that there is a major patch today. I have no idea on the context of this. Downloading the game now as I haven't in many years. Download is slow as shit though.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1192 on: June 23, 2015, 03:42:00 PM

It's a big patch to update everyones skills and talent trees and junk, in preparation for the expansion.

http://dulfy.net/ has all the info more or less.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1193 on: June 24, 2015, 03:00:01 AM

Looks like they continue to have the same issues with designing skill trees. Lots of skills with extremely marginal and situational effects that you have to take to get to few useful ones you can make a build out of. Weak class roles and PvP balance ensuring most of it is deadly dull.

I might have missed the good bits, the "meh" was too much.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1194 on: June 24, 2015, 05:00:24 AM

They also changed the final stage of the personal story from a dungeon run to a soloable instance.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1195 on: June 24, 2015, 07:39:18 AM

Their skill system makes me long for the GW1 model.  I know it was harder to 'balance', but it was a lot more fun.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1196 on: June 24, 2015, 10:35:07 AM

Logged in after 4 months of not playing, looked at the new skill tree - boring.

Zoned to Lion's arch and watched my framerate drop 40 frames and my fans go into overdrive for an insipid, generic city that has none of the character of the original.

I see nothing that makes me want to buy the expansion or go back to the game.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1197 on: June 24, 2015, 02:51:19 PM

I really like the new Lion's Arch - there's tons of personality in it and hints for future events. The Karka hunter event has been a lot of fun and great way to check out what the city looks like.

The skill trees... ehhh. Not a huge fan.

There was a big time power creep in this update and PvP is more of a gunfight, where whoever shoots first and straightest wins. My Engineer was doing ridiculous damage last night to absolutely everyone.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1198 on: June 25, 2015, 03:17:52 AM

I like Lions arch. it has a coastal Middle eastern feel to it that's very interesting. Karka hunting was fun as well. I liked the old Lions arch too but this one has a better layot with crafting at one place rather than 3 places, for example.

The skill tree stuff was "wtf?" for me. I know for my older chars I could just basically unlock everything which means skills I was used to using were not behaving in the ways I usually use them (wall of reflection was suddenly ground target-able for example) The new system is certainly simpler but also very generic and samey.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1199 on: June 25, 2015, 07:56:46 AM

I didn't put much effort into understanding the last round of changes they made to skills, this new one is even less interesting for me.  Since I just wander around aimlessly with my 80 mace/shield bow warrior I'm not really concerned about the nuances of the changes, from what I can tell nothing major changed for my build. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1200 on: June 25, 2015, 09:44:45 AM

Other than helping condition builds, the skill/trait thing looks like it's mostly it's a UI change and prevents stacking multiple lower-tier traits.  Of course I tended to take 4-5 lines so it also restricts me to three.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1201 on: June 25, 2015, 11:08:18 AM

Their skill system makes me long for the GW1 model.  I know it was harder to 'balance', but it was a lot more fun.

My biggest turn off of GW2 was because the class customization system was awful. The traits, which are apparently better now, are still bad overall. You're still stuck with the same 5 skills per weapon.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1202 on: June 25, 2015, 11:12:03 AM

I quit playing around christmas, logged in after this patch and i am so completely lost.  I remembered to blow 2k gold on snowflakes before quitting, maybe i'm rich now.

I am the .00000001428%
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: June 25, 2015, 03:39:29 PM

My biggest turn off of GW2 was because the class customization system was awful. The traits, which are apparently better now, are still bad overall. You're still stuck with the same 5 skills per weapon.

Yep... I update about once per year, log-in look around at all the minor changes to my favorite classes, and log-off for another year disappointed that there are no new weapons, no fixes to shitty weapon abilities, and just a general lack of character enhancements.  Nothing but minor iterations on the same set of uninspiring abilities tied to the same weapons.  First game where the R sucks but the P and the G are pretty darn good.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1204 on: June 25, 2015, 05:42:10 PM

This has been ANet's problem the entire history of GW2.

They take FOREVER to do even the smallest of changes to their mechanics. It's literally taken from the games release to just NOW, to have the longbow actually function as a weapon that can hit moving targets as a baseline.

There is something incredibly screwed up in their dev process/culture or something.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1205 on: August 29, 2015, 10:55:12 AM

So this is going F2P for the base game, today.  As soon as this douche on stage stops talking.

I am the .00000001428%
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1206 on: August 29, 2015, 12:26:30 PM

Not only f2p, but f2p with less restrictions than almost any other f2p MMO on the market for non-subbers / non-box-buyers. The ultimate goal is to get everyone [both the old players and the new influx of f2p'rs] to buy Heart of Thorns 'cos that's where the money is, I guess?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1207 on: August 29, 2015, 12:34:15 PM

Yup, that and the cash shop i guess.

I am the .00000001428%
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1208 on: August 29, 2015, 03:20:16 PM

Would like to try this again, but I neglected to deactivate 2-step auth on my old phone before I lost it. Let's see how customer service is these days :D

Edit: And fixed in 10 minutes via email. Nice :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:41:54 PM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #1209 on: August 30, 2015, 08:10:15 AM

I hate my internet lately, and although they insist my speeds are fine, for gaming it seems to be shitty lately. Was downloading this because of PAX f2p announcement, and instead playing games with the bandwidth downloading/installing. The installer package and screen was basically useless info wise. Totally could be the F2P "bottleneck" but I think is combination my crappy connection, and ArenaNet not being ready for F2P avalanche.

First the installer tried connecting over and over.. and would connect and maybe reach 20kb/sec and drop back to 0

Then after that it starting giving some really not informative error.

Finally got it to start connecting, but somehow bounces to 800kb/sec all the way to 0. It's been 18 hrs. Also btw it has a mark that says "Playable" on launcher but can't actually Play. /shrug

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1210 on: August 30, 2015, 08:46:58 AM

I started it up and it's playable but it left a big mess on my desktop.  Folders and silly crap all over the place!  Messy, messy game.

It's kind of mean that people who have bought this game will be in the same place as those who are just starting for free.  You only get the benefits if you buy the expansion.  Don't get me wrong, if I decide to play this game it's very likely that I would buy the expansion.  The fact that it doesn't seem to matter if you've bought the game and played for three years or if you just dl'd it today seems wrong.  Unless I've missed something which is very likely.  In that case, nm.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: August 30, 2015, 09:01:26 AM

I started it up and it's playable but it left a big mess on my desktop.  Folders and silly crap all over the place!  Messy, messy game.

It's kind of mean that people who have bought this game will be in the same place as those who are just starting for free.  You only get the benefits if you buy the expansion.  Don't get me wrong, if I decide to play this game it's very likely that I would buy the expansion.  The fact that it doesn't seem to matter if you've bought the game and played for three years or if you just dl'd it today seems wrong.  Unless I've missed something which is very likely.  In that case, nm.

Well there are a few restrictions to the free accounts, mostly to prevent exploitation by gold sellers or throwaway accounts (in WvWvW).  But the free accounts do have less storage space and less character slots.

I am the .00000001428%
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1212 on: August 30, 2015, 12:03:32 PM

I am the .00000001428%
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1213 on: August 31, 2015, 01:07:40 PM

It's worth buying and playing.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1214 on: August 31, 2015, 07:13:27 PM

I probably will play it.  I played for a bit some time ago and I don't remember how far I got, but probably not as far as I would have liked.  I think I got one character into the 40s. 

I miss you in games, Soukyan!  And generally around F13. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1215 on: September 02, 2015, 05:54:45 AM

I do wish this game was more sticky to me, but somehow I just wasn't feeling it.  I think it was the combat.  Can I assume things are basically the same on that front?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1216 on: September 02, 2015, 09:29:18 AM

Yup - still basically the same. I actually love the combat as it's just enough abilities that I don't get lost in what to do next, especially in the PvP side of things.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1217 on: September 02, 2015, 11:41:22 AM

I updated and logged in the other day, had a birthday present waiting and some kind of anniversary outfit.  I didn't do anything but look through my inventory and check out the guild tab.  Bat Country is still there, but attendance is a little sparse.  I'll probably get the expansion since I do log in and play a bunch more in the winter and I don't mind tossing a few bucks to them every couple years or so.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1218 on: September 03, 2015, 07:27:20 AM

Yup - still basically the same. I actually love the combat as it's just enough abilities that I don't get lost in what to do next, especially in the PvP side of things.

I think it's more to do with the animations or general feel.  Not certain.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1219 on: April 19, 2016, 01:32:10 PM

Big update today.  Features include:

Level 80 boosts (only if you bought the expansion, though)
Retooled Maguuma jungle maps
Improved LFG
Improved dungeons and rewards
Account wide shared backpack for special items that can be used by any character on your account, like the max level boost token
Easier and streamlined leveling

A shit load more info in the link.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-April-19-2016
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1220 on: April 20, 2016, 01:59:22 PM

A lot of good things in the patch.  They still don't make up for turning off SAB though.

I am the .00000001428%
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1221 on: April 21, 2016, 03:03:40 AM

Given that I played the expansion for 40 minutes and got thoroughly sick of the game and what it had become, is it worth logging in again after this patch?

Bonus points if they returned Lion's Arch to its original character rather than the bland look it had when it was rebuilt.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1222 on: April 21, 2016, 07:30:00 AM

It really depends on why you quit.  The only way to enjoy this game is if you have set goals for yourself.  Currently i am working on collecting the ley line armor set, which gives me something to do short and long term every time i log in.  If there is no area of the game you enjoy then you are not really going to have a good time.

I am the .00000001428%
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #1223 on: May 26, 2016, 12:23:09 PM

I haven't played this game for years and I was thinking of jumping back in.  I have a level 80 sword/shield/greatsword warior with a full celestial set and a level 80 engineer with full celestial and the legendary pistol.

any thoughts on which would be better if I wanted to mainly WvW?  Or are they all crap now and I will have to re-gear?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1224 on: May 26, 2016, 03:14:57 PM

I haven't played this game for years and I was thinking of jumping back in.  I have a level 80 sword/shield/greatsword warior with a full celestial set and a level 80 engineer with full celestial and the legendary pistol.

any thoughts on which would be better if I wanted to mainly WvW?  Or are they all crap now and I will have to re-gear?

You should be fine with either of them. I have no idea what's "good" in WvW, but I know it really won't make a huge difference in blob vs blob fights.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or?  
Jump to: