Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this game dead or?  (Read 382116 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1120 on: September 11, 2014, 10:05:13 AM

Colin's reply really gets at the root of the problem, that they are trying to bandaid progression onto a game that was explicitely designed to have very little meaningful progression, and have now realized that they were wrong but are too constrained by their existing gameplay systems.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1121 on: September 11, 2014, 10:11:05 AM

I still don't know what was wrong with the GW1 model. Flat power curve reachable quickly (except prophecies, but screw prophecies), then xpacs every year with some new variants on skills, new classes, etc. Money hats!

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1122 on: September 11, 2014, 10:22:52 AM

Only Achievers need the ding.  I was perfectly happy with the system we had before.  Give me all the tools from early levels and let me at the world.

The GW1 progression and skill system is a great example.  I had my main class, but there was a whole game around unlocking all the skills and mixing-and-matching for both a secondary profession and heroes.  There were uniques to discover, weapon mods to perfect, and all kinds of small improvements that let you still have a goal after reaching max level.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1123 on: September 12, 2014, 07:21:26 AM

I'm at the stage where I'm crafting ascended weapons for myself. I still like the game and play it every day, but a lot of these seem to be tinkering for the sake of tinkering.

One of the problems Anet has is that they seem to be relying on contract staff now rather than paid full timers. The usual classdoor ranting http://www.thefogbow.com/special-reports/people-remember-president-obama/friends/

However, Its starting to give me that feel of the stuff that eventually made me leave STO - it became filled with pointless shit that you have to do to get the shiney which is stopping you from doing the stuff you enjoy doing. That "chop down 200 trees to get a foxfire cluster" was giving me that horrific STO "Chasing cats and hitting dilithium cluster minigames to fill the daily progression tick" feel, and I don't like that at all. Luckily it had the side effect of making me have a lot of elder wood to turn into spiritwood so it allowed me to actually get going on crafting ascended gear, but its still annoying as all hell.

Luckily I waited till now when the prices are down to make Maudrey, (I want the pet, the backpack can go hang) but I'm stuck as I HATE fractals, I'm useless at fractals, but I have to do fractals to make the thing. I tried it and I fucked up the fractal for everyone and eventually left as I was doing so badly. I'm physically dreading doing them now. I've done 4 fractals in my life and failed 2 of those, so I have to succeed in 3 more. AAAARGH!!!

I don't get the hate on the dungeons on the game however. They are still pretty enjoyable for me. Though its hilarious that people who call themselves leet players are STILL insisting on stacking at the Spider Queen spot in AC when that was patched out months ago.

The crying over the FGS nerf has been glorious however. The #4 skill against a wall bug was ludicrous, everyone knew it was ludicrous, yet now people are crying that they have made Eles totally and completely useless because they have fixed one broken overpowered "this is a nuke" skill. What they really mean is "WAAAAH I CANT KILL THINGS INSTANTLY SO I'M DYING CAUSE I'M WEARING ZERKER GEAR!!!"

Hic sunt dracones.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1124 on: September 13, 2014, 03:12:10 PM

The trait unlocks are a real headscratcher, but nothing in comparison to the new trading post ui.  The only thing I can think of is that it's designed to cause people to sell things instantly by accident, therefore acting as a goldsink within a goldsink.  At least now there doesn't seem to be "trade suppression," but only because transactions take frustratingly longer.

Luckily I may never have to deal with levels 1-20 ever again regardless of how many alts I make, since the level 20 boosters drop often enough to stack up in the bank. 

The original reason I was excited about GW2 when I first heard about it still exists today:  large scale pvp and open world events.  EOTM is an obvious target for criticism, but it has fast paced gameplay for both of those things.  I spend most of my time there, make plenty of gold, and get plenty of loot.  WVW is something different now, and I'm not quite sure what because I stay away from it, but EOTM is what WVW was at launch only with more loot.  I'm with the rabble.

NGE is a high bar to compare anything to, I don't think they've gotten there yet!
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1125 on: September 13, 2014, 04:41:43 PM

EotM is what? It's a drama filled karma train that was good for fast leveling a Ranger. I'm not sure it does anything it's supposed to very well. The best thing about EotM is the Gold level people who come to WvW and get smoked because they have no clue wtf they are doing.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1126 on: September 13, 2014, 08:36:45 PM

I think EOTM is to cater for a different crowd than WvW, and thats perfectly fine.

Yeah, the New trade interface is pretty freaking terrible.

Hic sunt dracones.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1127 on: September 14, 2014, 07:52:45 AM

Anything GW2 does well gets moved to the gem shop and/or broken as soon as it's detected.  I'm just riding the wave.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1128 on: September 14, 2014, 09:05:43 AM

What do i do for the wvwvw tourney after finishing my five weekly events?

I am the .00000001428%
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1129 on: September 14, 2014, 08:49:55 PM

Wait till next week. awesome, for real

Yeah, its a bit silly to be totally honest.

Hic sunt dracones.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1130 on: September 25, 2014, 10:32:54 AM

Wait till next week. awesome, for real

Yeah, its a bit silly to be totally honest.

5 events is pretty much done in 5 minutes or less.  It is kinda weird.  Eotm is still my main focus, I thrive off the mindless chaos what can I say.  It's good gold too.

So I've been walking around with much more gold than I'm used to, like 50-80.  That's still low relatively speaking, but on a whim I tried the Taimi's dye pack for 125 gems.  Even though I read the description a few times, I couldn't help but be surprised at what a major rip it was.  One banana dye (one of 20 randoms) worth 1.20 silver, for a 16.55 gold exchange for the gems?  This is where GW2 really stinks it up and I'm glad I don't have a serious gambling addiction.  I've stayed away from the mystic forge and have always been wary of when the gem store uses the phrase "chance of..." but they got me this time!

OTOH I finally sprang for the Celestial Dye, since it's account wide now, and boy was that worth the 37g.  What a beautiful dye.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1131 on: October 21, 2014, 09:41:11 PM

So I just read that players may now only trade gold for gems in increments of 400 gems, in order to "remove confusing rounding points".  To think, once upon a time I liked Anet from the work they did on Guild Wars 1.  How times have changed.

Over and out.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1132 on: October 22, 2014, 12:20:17 AM

That blows, but since most things I buy tend to cost 800 gems it won't be a huge deal for me.  Especially since these days I only log in for story updates and Holiday events.  Speaking of which the Holloween event started today.  Haven't tried it yet but I've had fun with it in the past.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1133 on: October 22, 2014, 07:21:07 AM

It doesn't look like they actually added anything but a costume and pet though.  Report back if that is incorrect, as I can't even be bothered to log in and check.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1134 on: October 22, 2014, 08:26:31 AM

I think I am finally just about done with GW2. The Living Story doesn't interest me, the events are just rehashes of previous years. WvW is where I spend the majority of my time, but that has become pretty much the exact same experience every single time I log in. I imagine if I could find a good WvW guild to run with instead of basically going out on my own each time that might help a little, but I am finally burnt out on it all.

There's just nothing on the horizon that interests me and ANet just seems to be taking steps back with each patch. They are doing so much to try to attract new players that they seem to have forgotten the veterans and how the experience has changed for the worse if you've been around for a long time.

I haven't gone without a MMO since DAoC, but I think I am finally just about done with them. I wanted to like Archeage but I just couldn't get into it.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #1135 on: October 23, 2014, 12:55:54 AM

I've pretty much quit as well (although can you really quit a game with no sub? that's like a zen koan  awesome, for real) and it really is a story of one ridiculous decision after another. One of the, if not the strongest launch for an MMO I can remember followed by an endless stream of mediocre to bad updates.

As far as attracting new players goes, I'm sure that's what they're hoping, but as a valediction I rolled a new character a few weeks back to check out their newbie NGE and let me tell you: it's unbelievable how much worse they've made it. I didn't make it past level 12 and if they had launched like this I'm not sure I would have back then either.
It's the perfect example of how they refuse to understand that supporting a casual playstyle with a lot of QoL is their unique selling point, instead actively trying to dismantle that concept by adding more and more grind.
Oh and somehow still believing their small PvP arenas are E-sport worthy.

WvW was an interesting experiment in a more casual approach to sieging and the place I got most fun out of the game by far as well, but there's a very long list of things they could've done to improve. Probably the most interesting part of the game and they did next to nothing to develop it past launch; adding/removing some minor buffs and (of course) adding a grind for 'WvW levels' is about it.

Overall I still think it's the best and most fully realized MMO to launch in the past decade, but it's such a shame they couldn't build on it.
That said, I'll probably log back in when they continue the living story, like the good little battered MMO wife I am.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1136 on: October 28, 2014, 04:47:08 AM

The rumours that are coming out of Anet are basically that the original team have mostly quit and have been replaced with contract people that are literally thrown at the game and expected to sink or swim. I read somewhere that the team are proud of the game at launch but yeah that vision is basically gone.

And you are right, I have no fucking clue how the new experience is supposed to be better than the old one. I started a new character before my move killed my proper internet and it annoyed the fucking hell out of me.

That said I'll be back once I get my internet in but I wont be playing as much.

Hic sunt dracones.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1137 on: October 28, 2014, 12:43:10 PM

Speaking of WvW, I had a thought: would it be viable in an MMO to have a warfare module that *didn't* require active, real-time participation, but passive, stat-based contributions?

I can't visualize such a system very well, but the idea intrigues me. It would be a side game similar to how Assassin's Creed has its guild development handled via a management system, but hopefully more involved and interesting.

Then again, maybe I'm thinking of Star Wars: Galaxies Conquest system. Yeah. Probably. Carry on.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1138 on: October 28, 2014, 02:55:16 PM

on;less you want the amount of PVE to count in WVW. At which point the glorious cry of CAREBEARS will rise and the universe will fall to its knees. If it had knees. Er.

Hic sunt dracones.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1139 on: October 30, 2014, 06:00:11 PM

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: October 31, 2014, 02:51:03 PM

I appreciate them announcing to the public they have no clue and no plan.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1141 on: November 11, 2014, 05:29:17 PM

New living story is pretty cool. Guides and Info

The engineer flamethrower build is too fun.  Tag everything in sight with high damage.  I'm using it in pvp and pve and it's got a lot of versatility & survivability.   Here's the build

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1142 on: November 11, 2014, 10:48:26 PM

Oooh!! *stolen*

I've just get my internet back so I'll be trying the new story as soon as I feel up to it.

Hic sunt dracones.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: December 21, 2014, 12:58:36 PM

Started playing WoW for the first time ever (a bunch of friends just started and coaxed me into it).

Even though I still feel that in a lot of ways GW1 was better than GW2, I definitely appreciate some things that GW2 did a lot more now and I'm almost tempted to go back.  Just the general act of questing, exploring, and even the ability to play with friends is so much better in GW2. 
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1144 on: December 24, 2014, 10:57:03 AM

Started playing WoW for the first time ever (a bunch of friends just started and coaxed me into it).

Even though I still feel that in a lot of ways GW1 was better than GW2, I definitely appreciate some things that GW2 did a lot more now and I'm almost tempted to go back.  Just the general act of questing, exploring, and even the ability to play with friends is so much better in GW2. 

The things GW2 gets right + no sub fee + megacasual = I'm still playing and having a great time.  I came very close to resubbing to WOW but backed out at the last minute, thanks to my mobile authenticator not working at all.  I was about to send in a new ticket to get my authenticator removed, but then I thought....

--no dodging
--no combos
--no flamethrowers
--have to be in a group for res or heal
--racing people to nodes

AFAIK this stuff still applies. 
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: January 08, 2015, 07:57:21 PM

A perhaps interesting thing:  The transaction rate for gold to gems in the last few months has been between 58 and 64 for 400 gems.  Last week it was over 70 for one day...the day total makeover kits were on sale.  After the sale, price went back down.  Coincidence?  Did the price go up with the sale?  Was the gold driven up for the sale?  Seemed to be a popular thing in general chat, people were buying several.  I myself bought 5.  I'm pretty good at barking up wrong trees though, maybe it was just coincidence.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1146 on: January 09, 2015, 08:29:54 AM

Nah, people love cosmetics.  I don't think it's surprising at all.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: January 13, 2015, 10:35:14 PM

Expansion coming?

Spoilers for the very end of the living story episode released today - but ends with an announcement about the PAX South chat on the 24th, which I'll be at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yUExT2SSA0

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1148 on: January 14, 2015, 09:16:04 AM

Also new storyline chapter this week if you're logging in to unlock those.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1149 on: January 14, 2015, 10:16:38 AM

"Me am play gods"
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1150 on: January 20, 2015, 06:10:01 PM

Would anyone happen to remember one of my character names ? I happen to have problems retrieving my password.  awesome, for real Helm.7206 Is the account name.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1151 on: January 21, 2015, 03:44:55 AM

Finally got around to doing the penultimate storyline thingie. Kinda crappy playing as Ciath the whole timewere a thief without the "macro these!!" inititive bullshit . Also they messed up the lore by making Faolin a firstborn rather than a secondborn [/Nerd] Probably get around to doing the final storyline this week.

How come you need to know one of your character names Helm?

Also I have to give a shout out to the GMS. I accidently (dont ask) deleted a tequatl's hoard before christmas and they gave it back to me withthe "never again" warning, which is fair enough. Much appreciated, chaps.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1152 on: January 21, 2015, 07:42:59 AM

Would anyone happen to remember one of my character names ? I happen to have problems retrieving my password.  awesome, for real Helm.7206 Is the account name.

I see a "Helm" that was in SLAP.

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1153 on: January 21, 2015, 09:01:07 AM

Which sorta would have been the first thing i would have thought to try!

I am the .00000001428%
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1154 on: January 23, 2015, 11:00:35 PM

Which sorta would have been the first thing i would have thought to try!
I did and it did not work. But I got it figured out now, thanks guys.   Heart

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or?  
Jump to: