Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:42:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or? 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this game dead or?  (Read 382303 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #770 on: January 23, 2014, 02:50:12 PM

How can anything be mandatory?

I am the .00000001428%
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #771 on: January 23, 2014, 02:53:25 PM

I think he means 'grouping is mandatory if you want to do that stuff'.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #772 on: January 23, 2014, 03:01:18 PM

The amount of people required is quite large too.  Marionette is 75 players and Wurm is minimum of 60, but you'd be crazy to try it with that amount.

There's some guild for taking this sort of shit down.  TTS: Tequatl Terror Squad and it has filled up 11 guilds.  They're the first ones to down the wurm.  I don't think they're opening up more guilds for a little while and those will fill fast. 

-Rasix
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: January 23, 2014, 07:01:34 PM

I'm at the "flatlining stage" with GW2.

So much content, so little depth and devs who have no idea what to do.

Current patch is pretty pathetic all in all.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: January 23, 2014, 07:46:55 PM

And what content they do add is gone between two weeks and a month later.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: January 24, 2014, 06:51:29 AM

The worst part of this update is that the temporary boss is good while the permanent one is horrible.

I am the .00000001428%
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:42 AM

I haven't looked back since getting back into SWGemu.  Well, ok I lied.  I logged in last week in time to do a quick Maw, and promptly logged back into the emu afterwords.

My play style relegated me to dragon timers for gold and WvW for fun.  Exploration was cool for the first few months but then it took a back seat to the timers, which meant that I was spending most of my time at a handful of map points.  

WvW became less fun because it became serious business.  Somehow, large groups were frowned upon even though it was large scale pvp.  Arenas are that way, SPVP is that way.  COD is that way.  Etc etc.  I got into large organized PVP guilds and it was fun to an extent, but the leaders were yelling too much.  Other guilds would stay on their own voice chats, commanders would not show their tags.  It became too cliquey, at least on my server.

I enjoyed roaming around and just zoning out with PVE for awhile, but the process got old because drops are basically crap.  And we know they're crap because diminishing returns, because gem store.  

There should've been some starter dungeons, like Wailing Caverns and such.  Easy dungeons for players to learn basic game mechanics without dying 70 times.  Easy level 80 dungeons too, that people could just do for shits.  "Every boss has a 1 shot every 10 seconds" isn't difficult content, it's unimaginative content.  It's like the Dragon's Lair arcade game, if you went up up up left right down left left right DOWN instead of up up up left right down left left right RIGHT, you died.  Dirk falls down pit.

Teq Rising was further evidence that they had no idea what they were doing.  Again, when everyone dies, the event mostly fails, and only a handful of players keep attempting the encounter, something is amiss.  Raiding is raiding, and that means it's the same players committed to doing content together at set times.  Open world bosses are for random players who happen to be online and in that zone (or able to GET to that zone) at a given time.  Anet tried to combine the two, which anyone with any raiding experience could've told them was a bad idea.

There were also some pretty fabulous things about GW2.  Combos, dodging, weapon abilities...there's a long list of cool stuff.  It just got drowned out by the things that were frustrating.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:46:12 AM by Crumbs »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: January 24, 2014, 07:47:40 AM

There were also some pretty fabulous things about GW2.  Combos, dodging, weapon abilities...there's a long list of cool stuff.  It just got drowned out by the things that were frustrating.

I think this sums up my experience.  The things that GW2 does well, it does very well.  The parts that weren't thought through become very apparent... and frustrating to the point of me losing the will to go back. 

Great game.  No stickiness.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #778 on: January 24, 2014, 08:04:48 AM

I feel the same way. Love the cool things they did but after 3 80's and some other random alts, I only find myself logging in to do a daily on occasion with my wife. It's still our go to game when we want to play something together cooperatively, she still loves it but I'm fairly burnt on it.

The other real problem GW2 caused for us, is that I enjoy the combat/abilities style of play so much that it's ruined that part of other MMO's for me. Couldn't get past starting area in TSW for this reason. Just decided to give SWTOR a try since I haven't yet and find the same experience, I like everything about the game until combat starts, then I yawn and log out. I'd give any other MMO a shot that has combat similar to GW2 but I just don't know of any. Tempted to try FFXIV, but I fear the same. Of course the GW2 combat does break down in those boss fights and dungeons where it's non-strategy and just an 'everyone beat on this quickly' fest.

So anything out there with combat resembling GW2 style?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: January 24, 2014, 08:08:18 AM

Wildstar is the closest I can think of, thought that doesn't mean it will satisfy.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rasix

Reply #780 on: January 24, 2014, 03:23:48 PM

The Marionette fight isn't bad, but a few unskilled/shitty/poorly geared/lagged/unlucky characters can throw the entire thing.  With one platform failing, you lose the entire phase.  We had our lane win twice but the whole thing failed due to one lane losing by one platform twice and other lanes failing theirs.  There's insta kill mechanics and melee unfriendly mechanics.   

Still, it's pretty winnable in an overflow if you have a few commanders in there, but there are just too many variables to not make it much more than a crapshoot in that scenario.

-Rasix
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #781 on: January 24, 2014, 03:28:48 PM

I'd like to complain about the lack of "stickyness"... but since I got multiple hundreds of hours of gameplay for one box price that would feel pretty churlish.

Though I do agree with the comment of some things done really well, possibly from the early design phase, but they're not convincing in how they fill the gaps. And having done some dungeons I don't really like the dynamics, classes really add to multi-player RPG content.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: January 27, 2014, 12:52:09 PM

WvW became less fun because it became serious business.  Somehow, large groups were frowned upon even though it was large scale pvp.  Arenas are that way, SPVP is that way.  COD is that way.  Etc etc.  I got into large organized PVP guilds and it was fun to an extent, but the leaders were yelling too much.  Other guilds would stay on their own voice chats, commanders would not show their tags.  It became too cliquey, at least on my server.

This and the gear grind are what finally did it for me.  WvW became rife with obnoxious prima donna's yelling about "bads" and screaming at the few commanders who actually took the time to organize folks in the public mumble.  To be honest though after a year of gameplay I imagine it becomes self-selecting for those types of folks.
Rasix

Reply #783 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:22 PM

Weird.  Swaguma right? Or TC?

The never changing T1 epic struggle still remains the same, except SOR is a shell that can occasionally defend with overwhelming numbers when badly pushed.  Otherwise, they've pretty must lost by the weekend, because they don't PPT for shit. BG is still frightening and the numbers they can pull out of nowhere is crazy.  Plus, they can fight and have decent commanders.  SOR commanders seem one step above the random TC commander leading his squad of rally bots face first into a PVT wrecking ball.

A couple days ago, one of our more spastic French Canadian commanders decided to chug a few Red Bulls and lead EB.  The result was possibly the funniest thing I've ever heard.  I wasn't even in EB, but the comms were priceless. "Go go gogogogogogogog.  PUSHPUSHPUSHPUSH. ROLL LEFTLEFTLEFT.  BUFFSBUFFSBUFFS. EMPOWER. GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO. STAAAAAAAAAAABS. TOMETOMETOMETOMETOMETOME. Ohh, shit I died."

WVW is still fun for me, and I'll likely just go back to that since I finished the living story meta and FUCK THAT WORM.  Only 70 points from the 5k chest too.  awesome, for real

edit:

I could say that my guild is probably a bit guilty of cliqueiness. We, at times, are on private coms.  We do not get along or really respect one of the bigger wvw guilds (individual relationships with members are fine).  NA relationships in general are a bit weird on the server. We can tend to be a little trolly. 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:17:11 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: January 27, 2014, 02:57:51 PM

TC.  Guild arcs are almost textbook identical these days, would you guys agree?  Everything's great, then people want to break off, then etc.  That kind of happened server wide on TC, probably because of the nature of server voice chat and large scale organization across guilds.  It can't last.

Overall it was fun, it really was the kind of thing I was waiting for for a long time.  Maybe it was enough.
Rasix

Reply #785 on: January 27, 2014, 03:05:03 PM

I got lucky enough to land in a pretty established pvp guild that predated GW2. The roster fluctuates and recently we did lose some core members to an offshoot guild (which I believe was just some merged members going back to reform their old guild), but it has stayed roughly the same size and activity level since I've joined.

Overall, if the guild participation did decline to the point where they're no longer a presence, I would probably stop playing.  Given they're a PVP focused guild across multiple games, a significant enough shiny could cause this.

-Rasix
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: January 27, 2014, 03:11:06 PM

Luck had nothing to do with it! 

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Rasix

Reply #787 on: January 27, 2014, 03:16:41 PM

Lucky that you were in SLAP and SG?  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:18:13 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: January 27, 2014, 04:35:51 PM

It's my bizarre super power, the ability to get other people into stable communities and have said communities like them more then myself.  why so serious?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: January 27, 2014, 04:40:44 PM

Find one for me in SWTOR, since I think the days of Slap ever all playing the same game together are gone.  tongue

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: January 27, 2014, 08:44:34 PM

That's your own fault, stop disappearing for months at a time then getting annoyed when other people stop playing!

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #791 on: January 27, 2014, 10:44:14 PM

I thought this game might be an interesting experiment in "casual" MMO's, something like minecraft where half the fun is logging in to an interesting world to work on your own goals. Which might be a bit grindy but would be something you could work on by yourself (but scale up if you have friends or randoms) and at your own pace. Sure, the "achievers" would hate it but it matched the fact it was a non-sub MMO that wouldn't be able to put out the content to keep the raiders entertained anyway.

But of course they've fallen into the same trap as every other MMO developers. The end game wasn't well thought out, a lot of the lovely levelling content went nowhere.  Meanwhile class balance is being held hostage to PvP concerns while the current world content is basically raids (no doubt demanded by the forum crowd). Without the drops to make it worth doing for the progression types and with too many people required (so you need to get in early before enthusiasm ebbs and the keen are bored) and requiring coordination that is a high bar for a public event and punishing for low end systems or those with slow reactions.

On the positive side, as someone on the forums noted, their dreadful ideas are quite well implemented.

- Simond
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #792 on: January 28, 2014, 12:00:18 AM

Find one for me in SWTOR, since I think the days of Slap ever all playing the same game together are gone.  tongue

My sister's in some guild she's enjoying, you could always ask her! Me, I like our current guild name too much to leave it.

I logged into GW2 the other day and ran around on my engineer for a little bit. I cannot begin to describe how little I care about the Living World stuff. I almost feel guilty about it.

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: January 28, 2014, 12:28:44 AM

It's hard to care about something when they take away all the stuff that came before so you could catch up on wtf might be going on.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: January 28, 2014, 03:08:48 AM

I logged into GW2 the other day and ran around on my engineer for a little bit. I cannot begin to describe how little I care about the Living World stuff. I almost feel guilty about it.

Some of it's fascinating in a "what are they thinking" way. The new worm encounter takes ages, needs 80 people (really fun in Australian timezones), has a tight time limit requiring co-ordination (all 3 bosses, with different mechanics, must be killed with one minute) and the reward is some achievement points and progress towards some repulsive armor skins with a green fog coming off them.

Apparently the Anet developers were also at one event no doubt wondering why our server has only had a single success. It's just so wrong-headed.

- Simond
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: January 28, 2014, 06:05:28 AM

When they started the entire 'living world' thing, I was still heavy into this game (it was my only MMO, basically) and I had a chance to play through the content as they released it. Back then I felt that the living world stuff was fine: it shook things up and gave some new objectives to work for (that were sometimes pretty fun). Some of the LW events were great, such as the solo pve arena and even the clockwork invasions -- others were more hit-and-miss like the 'mega jumping puzzle' sky crystal patch or Teq v2.0. But even then I felt that this was basically trying to keep people playing (and buying stuff from the store) using "if you don't play through the latest LW content, you'll miss out on this awesome cosmetic armor piece that will never be available again!" as the main motivator.

However... I haven't logged in since mid-Sep (SAB 2, basically), and I'm not really feeling the urge, either, even though I'm sure there is a whole new LW content cycle going on right now. I'm with Ingmar -- there's so much I know I've (permanently) missed out on, and I'd probably come in at the tail end of a cycle, so that the boss / dungeon / openworld encounter / scavenger hunt / jumping puzzle / whatever'd disappear before I could experience it.

Seriously, they should just make ALL living world stuff permanent. If they're so hell-bent on making permanent changes to the world, use phasing or some sort of timey-wimey notCavernsOfTime gimmick so that trying to experience past 'episodes' doesn't interfere with the current state of the world. If there's group-only LW content, add it to the LFG system and/or give some shiny incentives for everyone to do it. Etc etc.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:22:17 AM by Zetor »

Rasix

Reply #796 on: January 28, 2014, 06:39:47 AM

There's really no reason they couldn't at least have the Nightmare Tower to present available.  The problem with catching up on the living story is that is it presented in a rather disjointed manner where you get some of it through large group activities and others through solo instances.  They should have really treated the main thrust as just a living story extension, but, heh, even there a group instance was plopped onto the end of the LS(fuck you, I won't do Arah).  Heh, they even gated Scarlett's secret room behind energy probe killing and, honestly, everyone should see that. 

-Rasix
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: January 28, 2014, 07:20:21 AM

WVW is still fun for me, and I'll likely just go back to that since I finished the living story meta and FUCK THAT WORM.  Only 70 points from the 5k chest too.  awesome, for real

Do you have much in the way of queues for WvW? I tend to spend the majority of my time out there, even if my WvW rank doesn't show it (please combine those ranks SOON) and it's nice never having to worry about queues.

Problem is weeks with new PvE content, WvW in the lower tiers is either a ghost-town or just a massive zergfest. I stuck with The Gate of Madness because LOL Bat Country (I'm the only one in that guild on GoM and I still use it as my extra +5 supply guild), but I am wondering if for my playstyle that I would be better off moving up a Tier or two for my WvW.

Be nice to actually have groups to run with that aren't the zerg for a change, but I don't think I should sacrifice my non-queue server for one where I have to sit around waiting to get into a BL.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Rasix

Reply #798 on: January 28, 2014, 08:19:04 AM

Well, I start pretty late compared to most, 9-10pm PST, so my queues aren't bad. We had some queues this week (maybe 5 minutes on borderlands?), but that's just because we're making a serious effort to beat BG.  And with beating BG, you have to go really hard during your prime time because they can cause massive point swings in the Euro timezone.  We have 4 largish (generalization, the compositions are a bit more complex) NA guilds hitting the borderlands this week, with pretty much constant main guild commander pins.  I don't do EB much, so I can't speak for that queue, it's generally longer.

During season 1, the queues were bad.  We have a fairly large PVE/achievement hunter crowd on JQ and they were clogging up queues pretty fiercely.  It wasn't unheard of to have 1-2 hour queues well into the night.  While this allowed us to steamroll the tier 2 servers, this was a giant impediment in beating the other tier 1.  Plus, the enigmatic queue system pretty much fucking broke under all of that strain.  Some people would get completely different queue times even if they queued for the same map and the same time from the same place.

edit:

The first few weeks of tier 1 can be a bit jarring, especially if all 3 are in try-hard mode. When I first started we had FA and TC at times in the mix.  I didn't get a full BG/SOR/JQ matchup until like a month in. It was a bit overwhelming and discouraging at the same time.  There can be times where there's not a lot of objective capping, and facing giant map blobs that can also fight is an eye opener.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:09:25 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #799 on: January 28, 2014, 08:41:13 AM

I saw a norn warrior in full plate with the jetpack, chainsword and the gauntlets from the flame and frost LS, it was a perfect space marine costume.  That made me wish i had not missed those events.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

Reply #800 on: January 28, 2014, 11:25:30 PM

They really need to work on some simple quality of life improvements.  Why can't I ignore some asshole by right clicking his name?  This stupid Russian ratted our golem rush to BG after he was guild kicked for gloating on SoR's teamspeak after we wiped them.  He spent the next 2+ hours (and is still going for all I know) spamming WvW map chat with nonstop drivel about how much our server sucks and why he's going back to EU.

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #801 on: January 29, 2014, 07:22:31 AM

You can? Right click name, block.  Not sure how you can possibly miss it.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

Reply #802 on: January 29, 2014, 08:31:41 AM

Not sure how you can possibly miss it.

It not being there might make that a possibility.

It would only let me report them from the chat interface. That was the only option.  Dude's name was obnoxiously long and strangely spelled (it was a "murloc noise") or I would have taken the time to try and type it into the ignore interface on the social tab.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:33:42 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: January 29, 2014, 09:10:01 AM

You right click their name and block them, no need to type it out at all.  In the chat window.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

Reply #804 on: January 29, 2014, 11:29:45 AM

Did you read the words I typed previously?  ANYHOW, it seems to be a bug. Which apparently people that want to spam you endlessly know about.

And now for something completely different, anyone got a suggestion for a mesmer build that's effective solo, but also in a large group setting?  I've been thinking about trying a PU power build that I've seen recently, but a little wary due to the incoming crit damage nerf (which might not be so bad).  Obviously for larger group combat I switch out utilities adding feedback/veil/null field as needed.  And power over condi, as I've found condi to be somewhat poor in larger settings, although my mine contributions will be for the fields and boon stripping.

Just want a sanity check from an experienced mesmer before I use my stack of traveler's runes.  awesome, for real

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:42:21 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or?  
Jump to: