Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:48:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this game dead or?  (Read 382262 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: November 27, 2013, 03:59:09 PM

Group content is my least favorite part of this game, fractals were basically what lead me to quit for the first time months ago.

I am the .00000001428%
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: November 27, 2013, 08:14:05 PM

So WXP is going to become account wide. Expected change imo, but the odd (promising!) line from the announcement is:

We will be building this change into the public test that [[we are currently holding/ will begin soon]] to test out the newest WvW map, the Edge of the Mists.

Wait, public test? Are we getting a public test realm for just this, or permanent use? Because it would really benefit the game if they'd stop with the private NDA'd test realms.
zumu
Terracotta Army

Reply #702 on: November 28, 2013, 12:21:46 PM

I am under the impression it is a private test (at least initially).

Your guild has to sign up to participate and they run trials of the map at varying intervals.

Link to relevant forum post.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #703 on: November 30, 2013, 08:07:57 PM

Not from what I've seen of Tier 1 play, which seems to be forming up as large a zerg as possible and playing in literally the most boring way imaginable (super cautious siege creeping, little roaming etc...)

This is why I quit the game.

Imho it's the way they handle wxp that causes this. It needs to get split up like in DAoC, instead of everyone who remotely participated in a kill/capture getting full credit.

I can forgive a lot of the games faults (glacial balancing, ascended grinding, necessary PvE... etc.), but the zerg fest pretty much eliminated the only game mode I enjoyed (solo/gank squad roaming).

All that dead horse kicking aside, I'm thinking about giving it another go. Yay, cognitive dissonance.

What classes do you think are best for the zerg? Necro? Engi?

If you prefer solo/havoc/5 man stuff might be worth dropping down in tiers.  Look at servers like eBay, BP,  NSP, yaks

If you really want to run with the Zerg a power wells Necro works fine,   Make sure you take chill on blind and slot plague

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #704 on: November 30, 2013, 08:18:26 PM

People will play TDM for a month, get rolled and then it will be the same little subset of the player base using it that currently use the Capture and Hold maps. Then someone will bitch what they really need is a CTF map!  why so serious?

People run little gank squads so they can claim they are awesome when they win a fight, and that they were zerged/cheesed when they lose. It's the same thing as the random solo duelist guy, just scaled up a little bit. The solo guys hates the duo's+, the duo's hate the 5 mans, the 5 mans hate the gank squads, the gank squads hate the guild groups, the guild groups hate the map zergs and the map zergs bitch that the enemy map zerg has more people... somehow.  why so serious?

Like, how many honest to goodness GvG's actually happen in any given matchup week? Those guys are very much in the minority.

Will be interesting to see how thing shake up with the new gvg arena.   There is a gvg league with rankings.

The gvg guild i am tries to schedule 2 Gvgs a week, and win or lose they are the highlight of the gw2 week for me.    /shrug

We might be in the minority but it is about as "fair" a fight as you can get.  Typically do 15v15 best of 5.  Some nights there are several Gvgs scheduled that run back to back with a decent sized audience.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:20:35 PM by Fraeg »

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #705 on: December 05, 2013, 10:07:37 AM

Actually did a full set of fractals.  YEP. Done with that shit.  Not very fun to PUG at all.

WVW is just dying off now at around 9PST.  I think Jade Quarry is officially done with Season 1 and just wants a break now.  Of course, Blackgate is still fielding full map zergs (HOW?).

Is the upcoming Wintersday stuff any good (ie was it last year)?  I think I quit shortly before it when the game was released.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: December 05, 2013, 10:39:21 AM

Did some WvW for the first time sisce coming back to the game.  For reference, I quit 2 months after release.   Seems nearly everyone in WvW is a warrior or guardian. 

How long after 80 would you say it takes to get fully geared and competitive in WvW?  Playing with a mid-30's alt I got WTFPWND by everyone that came near me. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

Reply #707 on: December 05, 2013, 10:46:39 AM

Uplevels are pretty much rally bots unless you're really awesome at positioning and obviously not playing a front liner.   Still, it just takes one rogue looking at you wrong to die in seconds.

I'd say it takes anywhere from 20-60 gold to get competitively geared at 80.   PVT (power/vitality/toughness) armor can be gotten from Orr temples (not all pieces but most) for karma and for WvW badges.  Buying it off the TP isn't cheap, since it's not a craftable without someone salvaging the inscription.  If you're condition based, you can also get rabid (cond damage, precision, toughness) armor for karma also.  

It doesn't take time.  Your wvw ranks are not super duper important for your effectiveness as an individual.   It just takes gold or an appropriate amount of karma/badges.    I geared my 80 guardian at a fairly low cost.  I spent money on the inscriptions to craft his weapons and his sigils/runes.  But, I had all of that to work with already.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:50:26 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #708 on: December 05, 2013, 10:48:36 AM

Wow that's more expensive than it used to be. I just ran karma stuff until I could buy the Melandru armor and crafted the rest.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

Reply #709 on: December 05, 2013, 10:52:48 AM

Well, I'm speaking from a SG perspective, not a SLAP one.  awesome, for real  The Melandru temple armor is good for 4 heavy pieces (because it's PVT), it's crap otherwise. Plus, I'd rather run soldier's runes if you're utilizing shouts as a warrior on guardian.  Survival stats and extra condition removal is nice.

The tab for my guardian was:

9 gold for 2 soldier's inscriptions (I have another one, but that's not necessary)
7 gold for 2 sigils of energy
8 gold for soldier's runes
6 gold for gems.
30g total before food/oil. Armor/trinkets were karma/badges/laurels.

But that's pretty much best-in-slot (except for the gems) for a front line guardian.  Not everyone's going to go this balls out for a fresh 80.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:56:49 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #710 on: December 05, 2013, 11:13:50 AM

Yeah, I don't think that stuff cost that much back when I did it though? And Melandru runes got nerfed later.  Heartbreak

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: December 05, 2013, 12:00:48 PM

You get shit tons of wvwvw badges from achievement reward chests and you can use those to cheaply buy full exotic armor.  20-60 might be a lot more than it used to cost but it is also a lot easier to get than it used to be.  How quick you can gear up at 80 depend mostly on what your resources are at that point, I don't think it would be hard to instantly gear up between badges/karma/laurels/gold.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

Reply #712 on: December 05, 2013, 12:20:50 PM

Also, before gearing for WVW, have an idea of what you want to do.  Roaming/small group and zerg builds can vary wildly.  If you want to roam, I'd skew your build toward that, because zerg builds are mostly terrible at soloing anything other than staff elementalists or rifle warriors.

-Rasix
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: December 05, 2013, 12:21:22 PM

Don't solo roam on a up level, you're food to the other roamers.

You can do fine on the pin as long as you keep your gear near your level, you'll do piss poor damage but your HP and Armor will be in line with everyone else, it's more about knowing how to dodge the train and not stand in the red circles.

Rasix's numbers are spot on, it's just most people buy everything piece meal over time, instead of one big go, so they don't notice how much they are actually spending.

BG is fielding full map zergs because they are winning/won.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #714 on: December 05, 2013, 12:53:53 PM

Thanks a lot for all of this information.  I've been leveling a mesmer alt and got pretty discouraged entering WvW at level 30.  I used to dominate on my necro at release, but it seems people have figured out the path to min-maxing better now.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

Reply #715 on: December 05, 2013, 12:59:07 PM

Looking at my first character's (thief) equipment from release is painful.  It makes no sense and serves no purpose.  The spec (changed now) didn't make a lick of sense either.

Here's a crap load of information about mesmer shatter specs.  There are some WVW builds in that.  The official forums have some decent condition spam builds as well.

-Rasix
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: December 05, 2013, 01:02:18 PM

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: December 05, 2013, 01:46:13 PM

Looking at my first character's (thief) equipment from release is painful.  It makes no sense and serves no purpose.  The spec (changed now) didn't make a lick of sense either.

Here's a crap load of information about mesmer shatter specs.  There are some WVW builds in that.  The official forums have some decent condition spam builds as well.

Shatter specs can be fun (it's what I use) but it can be very squishy and it's not all that easy to play.  You have to set up your shatters and aware opponents can avoid all that damage.  Far more popular right now are the condition/high stealth Prismatic Understanding builds which are far safer and can whittle away at opponents but lack the high spike damage a shatter can inflict.  Many of the PU builds also use Perplexity runes but those are expensive and might finally end up being nerfed.

Over and out.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: December 05, 2013, 02:02:58 PM

The guardian and ranger heals are perfect and improve already solid builds.  Not sure anything can touch healing signet for warriors.  The necro one seems like a good group utiity heal for dungeons/fractals.  Engineer looks really good for duels and for avoiding one shots in high level content.  Dunno enough about mesmer or elementalist to judge those.

I am the .00000001428%
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: December 05, 2013, 02:27:45 PM

Many of the PU builds also use Perplexity runes but those are expensive and might finally end up being nerfed.

They got nerfed

The 6/6 bonus on Runes of Perplexity now have a 8 second cooldown. This was excluded from the patch notes, but we’re in the process of getting them added.
Thought you guys would like to know.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Perplexity-runes/page/9#post3264438

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: December 05, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #721 on: December 06, 2013, 02:54:31 PM

Wow that's more expensive than it used to be. I just ran karma stuff until I could buy the Melandru armor and crafted the rest.

I don't know how you stand with "pay to win".  But keep in mind $10 will get you 55 or 60ish gold.  Dunno exact exchange at this point,   I could be quite off

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: December 08, 2013, 10:34:05 AM

Personally I tended to run a step down on the runes (not best in slot, but the rare versions or unpopular 6/6 sets) if I was poor. But I did drop around 90G in total re-decking my mesmer out. But that included a few vanity purchases like a rapier. And non min/maxed set of Runes of Speed because fuck memser runspeed.

New healing skills look neat. New ascended armor crafting looks like it will make me roll my eyes and stop playing again for a month.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #723 on: December 08, 2013, 02:01:58 PM

yep

the idea that my toons all geared with exotics are now obsolete come Tuesday is giving me Ruins of Kunark/Trials of Atlantis/Burning crusade flashbacks.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: December 08, 2013, 02:09:19 PM

There will be no gear grind in GW2!  awesome, for real

Over and out.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: December 08, 2013, 02:13:27 PM

It was brought back by popular demand  awesome, for real
Rasix

Reply #726 on: December 08, 2013, 06:25:14 PM

yep

the idea that my toons all geared with exotics are now obsolete come Tuesday is giving me Ruins of Kunark/Trials of Atlantis/Burning crusade flashbacks.

Pffit. It's only like a 10-15% increase in power.   awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real

Yah, I liked when someone made that argument on reddit.  They really need to cap the gear at exotic in WVW or start selling ascended for badges.

-Rasix
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: December 08, 2013, 06:28:29 PM

If they gave a flying crap about WvW, Warriors wouldn't be so obviously grossly overpowered in that setting.

Over and out.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: December 08, 2013, 06:36:26 PM

yep

Pffit. It's only like a 10-15% increase in power.   awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real

Yah, I liked when someone made that argument on reddit.  They really need to cap the gear at exotic in WVW or start selling ascended for badges.

It's actually 5%, and you will be able to get them from pvp eventually.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

Reply #729 on: December 08, 2013, 06:42:58 PM

sPVP or WVW? 

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: December 08, 2013, 07:20:34 PM

They said wvwvw, but now that they are connecting spvp to the rest of the game it might be available there also.

I am the .00000001428%
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: December 09, 2013, 06:32:58 AM

Dammit - i just made my first ascended WEAPON let alone start thinking about armor. Plus, I switch armor and specs around so much that deciding on one set to craft will be almost impossible for me.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Rasix

Reply #732 on: December 09, 2013, 09:05:08 AM

Yah, I'm having a hard enough deciding on which character to play.  I may just say fuck it for the armor and focus solely on weapons.  I could make another staff (for guardian), easy.  I already have a staff (with the wrong stats since I switched specs) for my necro. 

Ohhhhh, I see.

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: December 09, 2013, 09:23:56 AM

You don't really have to do any of it unless you plan on doing high level fractals really, the extremely minor stat increase is hardly worth the massive gold/time sink. Edit: if you don't play much exotics are not worth it either, rares will work just fine.

I am the .00000001428%
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:39 AM

Dammit - i just made my first ascended WEAPON let alone start thinking about armor. Plus, I switch armor and specs around so much that deciding on one set to craft will be almost impossible for me.

I made a set of berserker ascended weapons for my warrior: GS/axe/mace/longbow/rifle/spear/speargun. Hardest part was grinding to 500 in both professions and then grinding the dragonstone. I have a ton of mats waiting for armour to release but will have to run world bosses a fair bit more. I'll make P/P/T gear because I hate pure 'zerker on my warrior.

My other 13 80s will get... nothing and I rotate through them regularly, they aren't shelved. I'm guessing exotic will do unless gear drops for me.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or?  
Jump to: