Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:24:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this game dead or?  (Read 382127 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #630 on: November 10, 2013, 01:15:28 PM

DaoC had the exact same problem though in regards to Population and Participation.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: November 10, 2013, 03:38:32 PM

It's intellectually dishonest to assume that a game made with mmo dollars should slavishly devote all its attention to one game made/rule set. It makes sense to us forum warriors since we only play 10% of any given game anyway and half us will never be better than mediocre at it anyway. But to the average Timmy they want as many game modes as possible because that determines to them anyway whether or not they play for 2 months or 6 years.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: November 10, 2013, 04:41:25 PM

The average Timmy might enjoy a couple well done game modes more than twenty half assed ones also.

I am the .00000001428%
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: November 10, 2013, 05:08:12 PM

The average Timmy couldn't find his ass with both hands, and a map.  I don't know that building your game around his input is that great of an idea.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #634 on: November 10, 2013, 07:01:26 PM

How about building your game around his dollars  Ohhhhh, I see.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #635 on: November 11, 2013, 11:30:33 AM

Regardless WvW is clearly not just a 'checkbox' feature in GW2, so I don't know why we're on this tangent.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: November 12, 2013, 06:22:31 AM

I'm really enjoying this Season WvW stuff and this is coming from a server that wakes up each morning to see all the BLs and EB taken over by the one server with an overnight crew. I cannot think of a way to prevent that and some servers are just going to have much better 24/7 coverage. Population imbalance is something that these types of games will always struggle with and I personally have no idea how to fix that without wrecking some other aspect of it that I would prefer not to lose.

We have basically none unless some of the WvW guilds pull 18-20 hour days playing, which is pretty unreasonable. The prime time fights are ridiculously fun though, even if there is no way for us to win our match this week.

Overall, more people are involved. I know more about all my classes than I did 3 weeks ago and instead of running cookie cutter specs - I am starting to make my own that fit my playstyle. I've actually gotten back to being involved with the server community which is something that hasn't happened since the DAoC days.

Season 1 has been pretty much win for me so far /shrug.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #637 on: November 12, 2013, 11:20:23 AM

Although GW2 WvW is the best so far, it still suffers from "the best time to fight when there is no opposition."  This is a fundamental an anti-casual state. Player vs Door > Player vs Player still the biggest problem with Large Scale PVP.

"Me am play gods"
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: November 12, 2013, 03:00:29 PM

Is that a game design flaw or a human nature one though?

I always feel like games built entirely on the concept of constant achievement through predictable encounters contradict the premise of WvW (a constant fight with uncertain outcome). Of course, PvP in general presents a contradiction between what players say they want (balance) versus what they really mean (for them to win and everyone else to lose).

Unless you do the SB approach of scheduled fights, I don't see a way to get around this problem.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: November 12, 2013, 04:52:02 PM

Don't divide your player base by region would be a start.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #640 on: November 12, 2013, 05:20:29 PM

Although GW2 WvW is the best so far, it still suffers from "the best time to fight when there is no opposition."  This is a fundamental an anti-casual state. Player vs Door > Player vs Player still the biggest problem with Large Scale PVP.

I'm not sure that 'players might try to engage in sound military tactics' is really a problem. Taking undefended targets is always going to be important.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #641 on: November 12, 2013, 05:43:07 PM

Its still a game. If a game can't balance with real life, it not going to work in the long run.  Is it undefended because your opponents have chosen other objectives? Or because they prioritized employment over a video game? That seems pretty key.  Anyway A.net has the population data, they control the scoring system, its not rocket science.

"Me am play gods"
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: November 12, 2013, 05:49:44 PM

Quite frankly in BF4 I always attack poorly defended points. While shooting mans is fun, it's now how the game is (usually) scored.

WvW's problem is that it's very fuzzy as to how balanced the teams were to start with, same issue DAOC had and such. Not the PvD, but the lack of a balanced number of players PvDing you back if you ignore them. You don't really want to tell the players no when they say they want to play with their friends on server X, but you also need some way to encourage play on what is going to be the losing team for quite a while.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: November 13, 2013, 07:07:43 AM

Anyway A.net has the population data, they control the scoring system, its not rocket science.

It's not rocket science, it's revenue generation science.  WvW and its leagues are the result of reading the data and calculating how to get people to spend gems on transferring.  Not only do people transfer to stacked servers to win, but many guilds transfer FROM stacked servers to escape long queues and give themselves more of a challenge.

That said, TC is having fun this season.  Having accepted the fact that JQ will be at least 100k points ahead of us by the end of any week with them, we just adapt.  I think that's the strength of TC from the start and why we get underestimated; we don't rage, we learn from getting stomped.  Even got to kill/be killed by some SLAP folks!  Nice to see ya.  As an extra added bonus, one of our best liked guilds moved to SoS and we really enjoy hunting them. 

"It is what it is"...as skewed as the numbers may be, and whatever balance is, and whatever blobs mean skill-wise, the important thing to remember is that with WvW they're doing what other games have shied away from.  Gotta give them credit for that. 
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #644 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:30 AM

So, they're adding some sort of precursor scavenger hunt (according to data mined shit in the newest patch)?  How much you want to bet it takes longer than farming up for a precursor or ends up costing more?  Or it could cost like $30 in gems.

5 ranks from my wvw meta, which means it's essentially done.  I think I can manage 5 ranks, even with our SRS BZNS matchups coming in the next weeks.  We're (JQ) still getting 2nd, I think.  SOR is shitting the bed and arguably their best guild is probably pissing off back to EU (IRON).  They'll be so damn weak, even attempting to stop the BG train will be futile. Plus, we've had such easy matchups lately, it'll be Tuesday before we're able to get any traction.  Reset day is going to be brutal.

This newest LS update is kind of garbage.  The rewards are OK, and the soloable tiny instances are OK, but the annoying debuff thing is annoying.  Also, giant gauntlets of death are only doable when people are around that will actually do it.  Floor 3 is a bit stupid.  I'm not sure they can do much better.

edit: SoR is ticking at a 45 right now.  Jesus.  BG is a monster right now.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:20:19 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #645 on: November 14, 2013, 10:19:35 AM

I finally finished my WvW meta last night, went around looking for walls and doors to repair to do it. Wouldn't mind the gasmask reward for the LS meta this time around, but not sure I am really wanting to do the stuff to get it. The only time I have really dealt with the toxic crap is because they stuck it in all the PvE content sprinkled in WvW.

We are just finishing up our weekly matchup against the two servers that will probably go 1-2 in Bronze and they leveled us pretty good. I woke up Monday morning and logged in to find that HoD had completely taken over the world overnight. They owned pretty much everything they could and that was the end of this week.

Gate of Madness is definitely a PvE server and every second week on Tuesday WvW becomes a ghosttown for us, even more so because we are a very distant third place. Next week is a better match up for us though, so I expect to see a return once we jump out to a what I anticipate will be a quick lead on reset night.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #646 on: November 14, 2013, 11:36:40 AM

So, they're adding some sort of precursor scavenger hunt (according to data mined shit in the newest patch)?  How much you want to bet it takes longer than farming up for a precursor or ends up costing more?  Or it could cost like $30 in gems.

5 ranks from my wvw meta, which means it's essentially done.  I think I can manage 5 ranks, even with our SRS BZNS matchups coming in the next weeks.  We're (JQ) still getting 2nd, I think.  SOR is shitting the bed and arguably their best guild is probably pissing off back to EU (IRON).  They'll be so damn weak, even attempting to stop the BG train will be futile. Plus, we've had such easy matchups lately, it'll be Tuesday before we're able to get any traction.  Reset day is going to be brutal.

This newest LS update is kind of garbage.  The rewards are OK, and the soloable tiny instances are OK, but the annoying debuff thing is annoying.  Also, giant gauntlets of death are only doable when people are around that will actually do it.  Floor 3 is a bit stupid.  I'm not sure they can do much better.

Money is so easy to get that any scavenger hunt is bound to be harder than the two weeks of half assed farming buying it would cost.  But it allows people to do it in small quantifiable steps, which is really what they want.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: November 14, 2013, 11:52:43 AM

We can beat BG as long as whoever the third is isn't shitting on us too. Week one was that, because JQ has the easy schedule and SoR was SURE it would run over BG, so JQ had to be stopped and blah blah.

SoR bought into it's own hype, then failed and imploded because of it. BG tricked them and it's ruined SoR. They've lost their server identity and morale. The pugs don't trust the pins, the pins are openly berating the pugs and the guilds are all blaming each other for buying BG's snake-oil. TC may very well get 3rd place at this rate.

In order for us to take 1st, I think we basically need to beat BG in our 1v1 and then somehow get BG into a 3rd place in one other week, which probably isn't happening. Not unless SoR somehow pulls its shit together for that last week, if only out of spite for BG.  why so serious?

Rasix

Reply #648 on: November 14, 2013, 11:54:54 AM

Money is so easy

Not here it isn't.  I spend a majority of my time in wvw.  I don't really play enough to supplement this with farming. 

But, I guess it is for some.  There's people in my guild on their 7th legendary.  Some dude has every single thing from the gem store that he's purchased with only gold.  Meanwhile, I can't buy a full set of certain runes.   Sad Panda

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #649 on: November 14, 2013, 12:01:28 PM

Well obviously i meant money is easy if you focus is getting money, it ain't just going to magically appear in your bags.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: November 14, 2013, 12:01:55 PM

I really wish it would!  sad

Rasix

Reply #651 on: November 14, 2013, 12:08:25 PM

We can beat BG as long as whoever the third is isn't shitting on us too. Week one was that, because JQ has the easy schedule and SoR was SURE it would run over BG, so JQ had to be stopped and blah blah.

SoR bought into it's own hype, then failed and imploded because of it. BG tricked them and it's ruined SoR. They've lost their server identity and morale. The pugs don't trust the pins, the pins are openly berating the pugs and the guilds are all blaming each other for buying BG's snake-oil. TC may very well get 3rd place at this rate.

In order for us to take 1st, I think we basically need to beat BG in our 1v1 and then somehow get BG into a 3rd place in one other week, which probably isn't happening. Not unless SoR somehow pulls its shit together for that last week, if only out of spite for BG.  why so serious?

Our offbrand/third-string commanders have this problem too. The second Elvadara Dod (I hate this kid), Molasses Mussles, or someone like Ninja Spawn pin up, people just lose all confidence and start steadily ticking away.  These guys can't win fights and take objectives even when we have overwhelming numbers.  At least Molasses doesn't fill teamspeak with spergy teen tantrums like the others; he just sucks.   It's sad when I look forward to LeeT and HZH commanders.  The alternatives are just that bad.

Heh, I think BG is floating rumors that MERC or waha is leaving.   awesome, for real

I don't think SOS, TC or Mag will go along with us beating BG.  We haven't been nice enough, and they've had too much of us.   Plus, coverage.

I really wish it would!  sad

I needed a precursor to drop.  Last week.   I did get an exotic with a divinity rune doing Orr map completion while waiting for queue.  /flex
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:14:46 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #652 on: November 18, 2013, 09:00:11 AM

Looking like there's a real possibility of a 2 way tie for first in tier 1 NA.  Well, provided BG's EU coverage dominance doesn't kick into overdrive and start steamrolling this week's matchup.   SoR, I believe, had a sizeable lead going into the week in their first matchup and then just got knocked the fuck out.

I have gotten used to jumping with my charr.  Cue end of the world in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1..

Apparently ascended armor is right around the corner. I will not be able to afford any of this garbage.  I wonder what the overall statistical advantage is going to be and how this will assjam wvw.  Weapons are already more than should be allowed.

Full set for one character: 3000 bloodstone dusk/dragonite ore/empyreal fragments (if it requires a vision crystal for each).  5 augur stones.  180 obsidian shards. Thermocatalytic Reagent costs will start to stack up.  Plus material cost and leveling.  Gossamer is going to be incredibly expensive.  So, good luck with that.  Tailoring will be the worst out of  all of them.   I wonder if hardened leather has started spiking yet, although that'll be the least contested.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:13:01 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: November 18, 2013, 09:13:47 AM

I don't think SOS, TC or Mag will go along with us beating BG.  We haven't been nice enough, and they've had too much of us.   Plus, coverage.

I can tell you the general sentiment on Mag is $#%# everybody, let's troll.  Since we are never going to win PPT we just spend all our time sieging up stuff to hell, sneak attacking waypoints, roaming, gvg, and just generally being a nuisance.  We make no deals.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: November 18, 2013, 09:57:14 AM

I can tell you the general sentiment on Mag is $#%# everybody, let's troll.  Since we are never going to win PPT we just spend all our time sieging up stuff to hell, sneak attacking waypoints, roaming, gvg, and just generally being a nuisance.  We make no deals.

How is that different from any other server?  why so serious?

Rasix, unless something truly catastrophic happens, I don't see BG beating our SEA. Our SEA looks like its been staying up to cut into BG's Russian/Euro coverage, which just means we only need to stop the bleeding till our NA logs back in and then it's probably in our favor from then to SEA again. BG had an early weekend lead from reset due to superior bloodlust maintenance, but our insistence on maintaining our keeps and breaking their WPs slowly overturned it.

Still close match so far, like 4-5k separation only.

Rasix

Reply #655 on: November 18, 2013, 10:42:15 AM

This PPT is troubling, Ford.  These guys don't have jobs.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: November 18, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Nah, that's just the EU hole we have. The big issue is when they paper the WP's.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #657 on: November 18, 2013, 12:00:51 PM

http://imgur.com/a/p7DhG

I love that gas mask lol.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #658 on: November 19, 2013, 10:02:12 AM

The papering of keeps is killing more momentum then I'd hoped. The other thing is we don't only have to stop the bleeding on our own stuff, but SoS's as well and we clearly don't have enough in that time zone to do both.

Rasix

Reply #659 on: November 19, 2013, 11:32:21 AM

At about 9-11 PST we start tapering off.  SoS loses any presence and we start to get less organized. Our second string commanders are less effective (sadly even our own guild's).  BG can just blob free on all 3 BLs.   Around midnight or later, they'll have papered all of our keeps.   By then the damage, as you've said, is done.  Enter SoR demoralization syndrome.  100 point ticks during the day when their crazy ass Russians run free.  

I'll give them something, they keep up their zergs 24/7.  You always encounter BG blobs when you encounter BG.  No piddly ass 15 person groups. 30-80 or go home.  They don't suck either, we're losing fights where we'd steam roll any other server.

Do we even have Euro guilds?  Mance joked that 30% of our Euro base is SG daytime players.   awesome, for real

And.. updates to fractals.  I've never done one.  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:44:19 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: November 19, 2013, 11:49:33 AM

EU has always been a hole for us, it's literally NA housewives and college students and stuff like that. We have a few small EU guilds that put in a ton of work, but you can only do so much with whats available.

It's usually a hole for all NA servers (Since EU people would rather play on their own servers usually) so it didn't matter before. It's also why IRON always got so much shit for their shit talking on the forums, since they were essentially fighting no one most of the time.

It's the papering of the WP's though, JQ's plan against other T1 servers was always maintaining a WP on each BL and just being able to Map hop our shitty timezones effectively. Instead of being able to maintain a WP, we have to rebuild one each day so we can't claw back effectively.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #661 on: November 20, 2013, 06:03:17 AM

I can tell you the general sentiment on Mag is $#%# everybody, let's troll.  Since we are never going to win PPT we just spend all our time sieging up stuff to hell, sneak attacking waypoints, roaming, gvg, and just generally being a nuisance.  We make no deals.

How is that different from any other server?  why so serious?

Well it seems substantially different from BG and the "let's buy guilds to super stack our server" and the constant whining from the T1 servers on the official forums about JQ's easier schedule.  I know we have been approached by several of the T1 servers in match-ups to double team other servers in exchange for second place and thus far we have laughed off these suggestions.  awesome, for real

We also had a lot of people pull all-nighters to get into gold league knowing we would get our face smashed just so we wouldn't kitten-stomp in the silver league and would have the luxury of non-stop action in every borderland.  I would say its a substantially different mentality than the T1 PPT servers, not better, just different.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:05:27 AM by amiable »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: November 20, 2013, 09:23:01 AM

Seriously, it's like most of the server collectively decided getting stomped in gold league would be more fun than running roughshod over the silver league.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #663 on: November 20, 2013, 09:28:31 AM

I'm referring to "Since we are never going to win PPT we just spend all our time sieging up stuff to hell, sneak attacking waypoints, roaming, gvg, and just generally being a nuisance."

You have basically just described what WvW is :P

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: November 20, 2013, 09:55:23 AM

I'm referring to "Since we are never going to win PPT we just spend all our time sieging up stuff to hell, sneak attacking waypoints, roaming, gvg, and just generally being a nuisance."

You have basically just described what WvW is :P

Not from what I've seen of Tier 1 play, which seems to be forming up as large a zerg as possible and playing in literally the most boring way imaginable (super cautious siege creeping, little roaming etc...)

While Mag does zerg from time to time (especially when xushin is around) we usually have lots of small groups running all over the place, I haven't seen a lot of 10-15 (what I consider gvg) man roaming groups in from the big 3, it's either 50 folks or 1-5.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or?  
Jump to: