Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:49:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this game dead or?  (Read 382304 times)
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: September 16, 2013, 07:02:20 AM

You won't level any slower doing lower level content, that's how the game is designed.

Cool, thanks. I'll go slum it then.

You can also level in WvW if

A)  Your server has a decent population in there capturing objectives.  Just follow the group and xp rolls in; I've found that the last 10 levels really fly in WvW.
B)  You like WvW

If you're more inclined to head to the lower level areas, just do as many events as possible.  Queensdale now has a zerg group doing the events racetrack style, usually with a commander tag (again, depends on your server).  

If you're on a low pop server and are bummed out by empty zones, you might want to consider a transfer or reroll.  It won't get any better once you hit 80.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #421 on: September 16, 2013, 08:00:25 AM

edit: If it's not broken on your server, there's an event in northern Harathi Hinterlands that is the usual powerleveling spot. Use food + oil (for the xp bonuses, so even level 10 food works), and go nuts.

If that's the Modniir centaur one, I tried that one once when I was appropriately-leveled for the zone and there were like 3 other people doing it with me. We failed hard on the final boss. Also, I hate centaurs. Them and Risen Brutes. Fuck getting launch ping-ponged by multiple dudes, it's not fun.

You can also level in WvW if

A)  Your server has a decent population in there capturing objectives.  Just follow the group and xp rolls in; I've found that the last 10 levels really fly in WvW.
B)  You like WvW

If you're more inclined to head to the lower level areas, just do as many events as possible.  Queensdale now has a zerg group doing the events racetrack style, usually with a commander tag (again, depends on your server). 

If you're on a low pop server and are bummed out by empty zones, you might want to consider a transfer or reroll.  It won't get any better once you hit 80.

I'm on Gunnar's Hold (Int'l EU), which seems to control at least 50% of the WvW screen every time I open it; I've gotten into the zerg twice, but I can't quite figure out my place in WvW yet. Going to the frontlines = near instant death. Hanging around in the back = event XP only.

I've definitely seen the Queensdale champion train; people even announce the next objective in /map. So there seems to be a decent enough population for the established activities, just nothing in the 70-75 range. I figure everyone who's in that range is pretty much in a guild or something.

I did just spring for an orange greatsword, so I might play reaper in one of the 30-60 zones. Kill twenty dudes? Sure, that's just a bit of training and a Hundred Blades.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: September 16, 2013, 08:30:37 AM

As a warrior, spec for some level of survival (15-20 in the defense tree) and make sure your gear has at least one tank stat on it. Then make sure you have dolyak signet or balanced stance on your bar. You should be comically survivable in WvW, just keep moving and you'll learn when to dive and when to gtfo.
Yoru

Reply #423 on: September 16, 2013, 08:40:36 AM

As a warrior, spec for some level of survival (15-20 in the defense tree) and make sure your gear has at least one tank stat on it. Then make sure you have dolyak signet or balanced stance on your bar. You should be comically survivable in WvW, just keep moving and you'll learn when to dive and when to gtfo.

Last time I went in with my warrior was probably in the 30s or early 40s, still wearing late-20s +power gear and without a single point in defense. My current gear is power/vitality and I've got 15 points in defense, I think, (the one that gives extra regen for higher adrenaline levels) so I'll give it another shot some time.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: September 16, 2013, 09:55:32 AM

Go to Frostgorge Sound.  Make sure you have the necessary Waypoints discovered to follow this map:

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/gw2-champions-frostgorge-sound-map2.jpg

Ask in /map where the train is.  Follow the above sequence once you've found the train.

Profit.

It should be good xp and you'll rake in the gold.

most often known as Drevik
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #425 on: September 16, 2013, 10:05:02 AM

I've never seen our zerg do ooze .  Honestly, I just do fish, kodan, norn and then skip over to drake.  I tend to miss wurm about 50% of the time because the zerg gets it so fast and then you have to hope you load really quick and that people aren't already killing drake.  And troll is just as bad as you can then miss troll entirely due to super mario jump misses and then you'll maybe miss fish.  

I have the worst luck with exotic drops.  A harpoon and a trident two days ago and then a bow with terrible stats yesterday.

I'm getting pretty bored with the champ farming, but it is good money, especially if you can upgrade the rare crafting mats.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:07:07 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: September 16, 2013, 11:07:39 AM

So how are classes these days? I haven't played in quite some time and the last time I did:

I had a 60+ Mesmer that was kind of meh. Cool shatter or condition build. Real squishy, but didn't feel satisfying.
I had a 70+ Engineer that is just hurts playing. I was playing a shotgun like build where I would jump into a mob, blow it up and knock it back. Was kind of fun, but a lot of work for not much damage comparatively.
I had a 80 Necro that I really enjoyed playing as a pool/power build. Condition builds were annoying to me in any multi person fight because of stacking issues.

I had a 30+ Thief that was entertaining, but it got boring.

I never got past 20 with a Guardian/Warrior/Ranger/Ele

Has anything changed that made some of these classes much better? I would really like to dive back into my necro or engi but they had real limited builds. Also Ranger pets were always ass.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: September 16, 2013, 11:14:09 AM

Worm and Troll I can never hit on JQ. Too large a zerg, and shit tends to drop in under 10 seconds.

As for classes: Mesmers are amazing, wonderful, and fucking awful to actually play imo.

Warriors are little gods with amazing access to everything who should never be allowed to whine about shit since their condi removal issues were worked on.

Necros are little gods with amazing access to everything but stability who should never be allowed to whine about shit, ever. But if you want to play condi you need to use exotics in order to steal room in the bleed stacks (basically if you're capping out a champ, it will prioritize the people with the highest bleed damage. Be that person, or use a power spec.)

Engineers are fiddly fucks. I enjoy playing mine, but dear lord does that class make you put in work to do the same shit everyone else has on one skill bar. They're amazing (especially condi, but same rules as condi necros in a group), but holy shit does it get tiring to play after a while.

I switched from a zerker nerco using the 100% crit in DS build to full condition (using Rabid and Dire) and that wonky condition spike build with dhuumfire and terror. It's absolute bullshit in WvW, and pretty bullshit in PVE as well. The only real thing it's bad at is tagging champs in the frostgorge train. But Epidemic in large encounters like Aether farms? Amazing.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: September 16, 2013, 11:16:43 AM

I remember trying forever to get a DS build to work. Never really did.

What wonky condition build are you using with those runes?

Outside that, looks like nothing really changed.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: September 16, 2013, 11:49:39 AM

Power DS specs are 30/0/0/0/30. 10 free points people usually put in spite. They rely heavily on the new GM trait that gives you +50% crit in DS, so you wander around tossing out 6-8k lifeblasts like it's going out of style.

Personally, I'm running 30/20/0/0/20, which is a dhuumfire/terror build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQQQNArYWjMaF7tbKb87JEoH9CuAiRKOmghSR5kOA-jEyAINBRaBIVJQ5wioxWNLiGrmBTlSEV7RKiWtQAPWDA-w

At least one of those Rabid items is secretly Dire, because Rabid is hard to come by. But all but two pieces you can buy for temple Karma if you're sitting on 600k or so. Signet of Spite  can be swapped for Corrupt Boon if you're planning on hitting a bunch of guardian abusers, it's primary purpose in life is just to give you something long ranged and rapid to spread with epidemic.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: September 16, 2013, 11:54:40 AM

I switched from a zerker nerco using the 100% crit in DS build to full condition (using Rabid and Dire) and that wonky condition spike build with dhuumfire and terror. It's absolute bullshit in WvW, and pretty bullshit in PVE as well. The only real thing it's bad at is tagging champs in the frostgorge train. But Epidemic in large encounters like Aether farms? Amazing.

I'm running the Zerker 100% crit DS build on my Necro and having pretty limited success in WvW. Partly this is me because I'm just not very good at it right now, but I think I would do a better job with a different spec and keep looking at full condition.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: September 16, 2013, 12:03:07 PM

I'm running the Zerker 100% crit DS build on my Necro and having pretty limited success in WvW. Partly this is me because I'm just not very good at it right now, but I think I would do a better job with a different spec and keep looking at full condition.

Zerker can basically burst someone down before they can blink. But it lacks staying power in my mind. Condi allows you to disengage without completely removing pressure from the target. But be aware that condi's meta is a bit too strong right now and will likely eat a nerf in the near future.

Right now Condition builds are absolutely destroying small scale pvp, and hit a wall against organized WvW due to stacked AE condition removal. As long as you're okay with that and understand that sometimes you won't be able to dent a group, it's awesome.

Also: epidemic steals other people's conditions and applies them with your condition damage to the new targets. I have done a comical amount of damage by spreading 10stacks of confusion and guardian burns all over the place. Why does that skill only have a 15s cooldown, WHY?
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: September 16, 2013, 02:44:52 PM

Necros are little gods with amazing access to everything but stability or block or vigor or invulnerability, making them the class with the worst defense in the game.

So yeah, they do have something to whine about.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #433 on: September 16, 2013, 02:47:49 PM

Ehh, not really. Their incredibly long health bar and lifestealing makes up for a lot of that.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: September 16, 2013, 03:04:13 PM

Not even close.  The entire game seems designed around dodging or blocking big attacks, and Necromancers are hands down the worst at doing that.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #435 on: September 16, 2013, 03:16:55 PM

Maybe in PVE. In WvW necromancers are very noticably slower for me to kill than, say, elementalists, engineers, or rangers.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: September 16, 2013, 04:11:34 PM

Necro's big weakness is just the lack of stability, if they had access to easy stability they would be utterly overpowered. They also have the added bonus of having a universal zerg weapon in staff. Doesn't matter what spec you are, or even what level, equip staff, collect bacon. Very similar to thieves and shortbow, just a standard secondary zerg weapon to carry around.

Warrior's are just like, in the wrong game currently. They passively regen more health the most classes can actively heal and spam long duration stuns like it was DaoC before immunity timers. They can stack ridiculous amounts of stability, invulnerability and condition removal and baseline have more armor and hp then most bunker specs. They also have one of the best long range weapons in the game that they hardly ever use because their melee weapons are just that good. There's a reason your standard WvW zerg is like 30% warrior.

Ranger's are the best at anything where their pet A) lives and B) hits. This is sadly limited to Solo PvE and defending nodes in SPvP. They have bunker specs that make them immortal and single target condition damage comparable to necros. Their power builds are sub par, but they can tag zergs easily enough. Contribute not as much, but tag easy. In large scale stuff, the pet just gets jibbed and it's gone and your at 75% power at best. Really fucking good at solo pve though, if your goal is just casual leveling and exploration, can't go wrong with the ranger.

Mesmers are portal/veil/timewarp bots.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #437 on: September 16, 2013, 11:25:16 PM

Necros are pretty good in WvW (I live a surprisingly long time, considering I am upleveled when I play her), but I prefer my staff elementalist for that when I'm being "serious." I just ... I really like dropping fields for people, I guess. A lot.

I want to love my mesmer, but it's pretty meh in WvW. My main role as a mesmer seems to be "help golems get around and tear down doors faster." I wish GW2 mesmers were more like GW1 mesmers, basically.

God Save the Horn Players
Yoru

Reply #438 on: September 17, 2013, 01:44:07 AM

Warrior's are just like, in the wrong game currently. They passively regen more health the most classes can actively heal and spam long duration stuns like it was DaoC before immunity timers. They can stack ridiculous amounts of stability, invulnerability and condition removal and baseline have more armor and hp then most bunker specs. They also have one of the best long range weapons in the game that they hardly ever use because their melee weapons are just that good. There's a reason your standard WvW zerg is like 30% warrior.

Which ranged weapon is that? I currently use the rifle as my ranged weapon, largely because I like the aesthetic. I found a shitty gun with a cool model a while back and I've been transmuting it onto all my newer, better-statted rifle finds. It's also nice as I can stay at range when fighting special mobs and bosses.

The longbow is just too Legolas for my taste, but if it's better at Murderin' Folks, I'll use it in WvW.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: September 17, 2013, 01:57:48 AM

A lot of tears over warriors being OP on the forums - it makes me love my warrior even more.

I so want to try this, going to take one of my warriors into WvW with it tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5FiSGEhyxM

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: September 17, 2013, 02:02:53 AM

Longbow yes. (Rifle is fine too mind you, just more gimmicky)

Most ranger would walk over their own mothers to get their hands on the warrior longbow. It works for either power or condition builds, doesn't need much (if any) trait support and has some of the best individual skills in the game that also all work together as a complete weapon. It's also a bag farming machine.

It's just usually overshadowed by stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_syOEID1nU

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: September 17, 2013, 02:30:01 AM

Well, there is veil and feedback too, but yeah. I'd say staff elementalist is the best class for a wvw zerg. Playing a warrior is much more personally rewarding (longbow / greatsword for a combination of ranged aoe tagging and high melee damage + mobility), but a well-placed elementalist field can swing the balance of the battle right there. Though in practice I find that most group v group engagements depend on who gets the jump on the other first, which is where portals / veil matter a lot.

Warrior survivability is pretty good in general pve, too. My [staff or S/D] ele feels a lot more squishy in dungeons, even though my warrior is in full zerker gear and my elementalist is in a mix of PTV and Celestial. However, I'll say that the warrior needs a bit of support to be effective: someone making sure that the trash mobs aren't attacking the warrior (via aggro stealing or aoe blinds), or putting down fields to whirl around in. Only weakness is condition damage, at least in the cookie cutter 'omg max dps' build that I use right now...

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: September 17, 2013, 02:36:52 AM

Just thought I'd share my main warrior Setanta De Danaan (PvE spec 30/0/0/10/30 Axe/Mace + Greatsword) and his weapon skins:

The GS skin is why I am in no rush for a legendary and I love the back-piece. I have had them since their respective events and finally decided to equip them rather than cash them in on the market. He runs knight's gear with ascended jewellery.

So far the GS is ascended Zojja's (berserker) and I'm hoping to make the axe tonight or tomorrow followed by the mace in another 4-5 days.

My alt warrior Cuchulain De Danaan runs full berserker in the same spec - I love the Greatsword - and it was a cheap karma one at that:

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: September 17, 2013, 06:30:46 AM

That warrior video is crazy. The guy never took any damage.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: September 17, 2013, 06:59:43 AM

The rifle warrior? At least in the first half nobody actually targeted him for some reason. The fight in the lord's room was particularly bad for that in that I didn't see that many friendlies and everyone was just letting him walk around.

But in zerg fights a decent amount of the fight is determined by how well your tanky folks draw attention and how well your dps-y folks pick out soft targets. If we're doing well at that, I'll frequently take nearly no damage during a clash on my necro. If we're doing poorly at it, I'll get chain stunned into the dirt in seconds.

The one time that's not the goal (avoid tanks, kill squishies) is if you have Corrupt Boon up and want to snipe one of their guardian tanks. That skill is seriously dickish against Guardians and I laugh every time one goes into bullshit bunker mode just to immediately die to boon stripping/some other dude hitting him once + auto spinal shivers.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: September 17, 2013, 07:09:18 AM

re:  Necro

Apparently I'm getting very lucky or doing something right in WvW, as my Necro hardly ever dies.  The extra health and DS have been mentioned a million times.  Also plague:  for some reason I stop getting attacked when I pop it.  

Necro is great for getting people to stop attacking you.  People tend to run away when they set off a staff mark, especially chillblains.  That and Plague 3 cause cripples which usually cause panic.  People also tend to run away when feared :)  Staff 5.

Staff 4 is a blast finisher which should be placed at your feet when your group has stacked and put fields down.  Get some of that sweet combo lovin.

I've gone back to using wells.  If you've got suffering/corruption/power on your bar, plop them down during big fights and watch what happens.  It was difficult for me to give up epidemic, as a successful hit would cause a million bags to drop, but the advantage of wells to my allies and I was so obvious after a few big battles that I don't miss it as much.

Here's the build (I found it on the forums with a search for "wellomancer."  It's working quite nicely):

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/necromancer/?5.0|7.1g.h2.g.1g.h1|6.1g.h15|1n.7r.1g.7r.1n.7r.1g.7r.1n.7r.1g.7r|2t.d13.2v.d1a.3v.d16.2v.d14.3v.d16.2v.d14|0.p60.p57.k38.0|15.7|3r.4d.4a.48.4f|e
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: September 17, 2013, 09:29:10 AM

I am the .00000001428%
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: September 17, 2013, 10:47:35 AM

Looking like all the leaked class changes are still pending for the mid-october patch. So this is just boss updates, WVW map/bloodlust change, and bug fixes.
apocrypha
Terracotta Army

Planes? Shit, I'm terrified to get in my car now!

Reply #448 on: September 17, 2013, 12:03:43 PM

Is the LFG tool in this update?

"Bourgeois society stands at the crossroads, either transition to socialism or regression into barbarism" - Rosa Luxemburg, 1915.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: September 17, 2013, 12:09:11 PM

It's in limited beta like the trading house at launch.  And making a world boss so easily griefed is fucking retarded.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #450 on: September 17, 2013, 01:10:25 PM

My server has not figured him out yet.

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: September 17, 2013, 01:16:05 PM

Pretty sure no one has, even with people doing the right thing on the cannons and about 100 people dpsing him you still only get him to like 75%.  We had a dev helping us and didn't get him under 90%.

I am the .00000001428%
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: September 18, 2013, 07:35:45 AM

Blackgate took him down last night apparently, with over 120 people in TS.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: September 18, 2013, 03:08:10 PM

After playing last night I wondered which Blizzard devs had just moved to the GW2 team. They've ramped the difficulty up a tad too high.

Gollem MK2 is togher but ok, Wurm and SB are fine, FE is a prick as melee and on a 180 ping, Teq was un-doable with 50 randoms.

I was already ignoring Jormag because it was tedious and not fun. Teq is now added to that list.

For bosses that drop shitty greens and blues, the time/effort is ridiculous and when you factor in having to do them for mats for ascended I really questioned the game for the first time since release.

They have made the horrible assumption that after 12 months of the game, these bosses should be harder, despite the fact that on Yak's Bend, we always had enough people to take them down and the fine balance between numbers and difficulty were there. I'll be interested to see where the fine line between numbers and overflow is.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: September 18, 2013, 03:22:17 PM

I completely disagree. Games need challenging content and this game only challenges your patience with the farming. All the content doesn't need to be hard, but I think they did a pretty good job making one encounter pretty difficult. Probably needs tuning, but soemthing that isn't immediately facerolled by everyone is a good thing.

It gives the game depth.

If they made all the other bosses "hard" by just adding hps so all you are doing is safely wacking away at it for an extra 10 minutes, that's just bad design.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or?  
Jump to: