Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:47:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this game dead or?  (Read 382152 times)
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

on: March 29, 2013, 02:35:49 PM

So I logged in first time this week since september. To check stuff out.  On gear side apparently there are infinite levels of grinds introduced since then with "ascended"  gear and some "purple weapons". Another thing is that I am stuck on low pop server and transfer now costs an arm and a leg (it was free before).

So really I am not sure if I should continue  -stuff I liked about the game  kinda still there (great world, fun combat) , but some zones were completely devoid of people and dynamic events was what made game much more fun. There is also seem to be gear grind and  I dont even have the old gear (my gear is lvl 80 rares).   Spvp is apparently totally dead now though  -  there is new tourney system (without tickets!) but no one doing em?

Is this game worth sticking around or is in slow decay?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:50:43 PM

I personally don't know anyone still playing this.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:55:41 PM

All of my guild still plays... but playing intensity has decreased substantially. The game doesn't lend itself well to 'endgame' play (except for wvw) and since there's no monthly fee or 'crippled-unless-you-sub' features, there's no cost to check on things say, once a month. This isn't really different from GW1, btw (except that there was barely any reason to keep playing GW1 as a pve player after you've finished an expansion's story quests).

So yeah, pretty much everyone still logs in once or twice a month... and there are 3-4 people playing regularly (ie. every day). It's more than what I can say for my guildies' presence in SWTOR, Rift, LOTRO or even WOW, sooo.. /shrug
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:59:39 PM by Zetor »

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 03:17:34 PM

I dunno, the way they have changed dragon chests has brought a few people back. I think server choice matters a lot too. Northern Shiverpeaks for example hosts an "Orr Raid" every night. You run with a huge Zerg to all the temple events. Some nights it's a bit too busy.

I still do a fractal a night and try to complete my daily. But I'm on the catass end.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:15:17 PM by Furiously »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 03:42:52 PM

All of my guild still plays... but playing intensity has decreased substantially. The game doesn't lend itself well to 'endgame' play (except for wvw) and since there's no monthly fee or 'crippled-unless-you-sub' features, there's no cost to check on things say, once a month. This isn't really different from GW1, btw (except that there was barely any reason to keep playing GW1 as a pve player after you've finished an expansion's story quests).

So yeah, pretty much everyone still logs in once or twice a month... and there are 3-4 people playing regularly (ie. every day). It's more than what I can say for my guildies' presence in SWTOR, Rift, LOTRO or even WOW, sooo.. /shrug

I have more reason to this day to go back to GW1 than GW2, so I'm not sure I agree with you there. Hunting down companion outfits, skill collecting, etc.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:25:00 PM

Well, the mods haven't graveyarded this subforum yet.

...mind you, they haven't moved the TSW subforum eitherOh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 09:20:18 PM

Yak's Bend is constantly in overflow for chest events as are our two Wx3 sparring partners. Warbands in Wx3 can become a sea of red and green. It seems far from dead from my perspective - just as well as I only went back to the game this month :) ToG has at least 20 members on an (Aussie) evening and we run instances/fractals etc.

Living story is a bit hit and miss but if great for levelling alts on - well, the PvE portals are anyway.

I gave up on GW because:WoW - but now that I'm thoroughly disillusioned with WoW I got back into it and am having a blast (4x80 and warrior at 30)

I can't say it's dead, just humming along quietly.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 09:30:09 PM

That's because TSW is still interesting.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:37:04 PM

Is this game worth sticking around or is in slow decay?

It still seems to be going fairly healthy from what I've seen. If your world is dead guest somewhere else. If you read other threads here instead of just starting your own you will find people complaining about guesting making the dragon zones overcrowded, hardly the sign of a dying game. I log in every couple of days and do a daily and I usually find quite a crowd in the various zones where I have alts parked to do dailies.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 12:02:24 AM

Well, obviously with all of the new, fantastic AAA MMOs that we're all playing right now, we need to make some room.  We'll get right on that.

In the meantime, enjoy:

-Rasix
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 10:00:53 AM

I'm still playing on the GoM server, although I just wvw. The pve in this game doesn't particularly interest me.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 10:17:10 AM

I have more reason to this day to go back to GW1 than GW2, so I'm not sure I agree with you there. Hunting down companion outfits, skill collecting, etc.
Different strokes, I guess. I could never stomach the skill collection and companion outfit things myself (way too grindy and/or annoying)... I mean I still log into GW2 to do a dungeon, and that's more fun than what I could do in GW1. Considering how un-fun GW2 dungeons can be, that's probably not a good thing. :p The only reason I went back to GW1 was to finish my HOM for GW2, and occasionally play some FA or JQ.. 'cos honestly, the rest of GW1 pvp was either unenjoyable, or inherently unpuggable.

e: to be fair, there isn't that much more to keep coming back to gw2 either (aside from wvw and spvp). The new living story thing is worth an hour or two I guess, as are the rewards from monthly achievements... but I personally won't be playing much until they add some kind of LFD. Also, screw the legendary weapon grind.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:26:51 AM by Zetor »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 11:17:34 AM

Having to do dungeons and fractals for monthly/gear is what made me quit.  Everything else with the game was fine, although it certainly did not have as many things to do as GW1 did.

I am the .00000001428%
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 01:12:13 PM

WwW is what burned me out of the game first place  my guild was too hardcore and l www queues at release were insane. I liked spvp tourneys quite a bit but then again it requires a lot of dedications and other ppl to run with which seem resulted in fact that spvp is mostly dead now (or the tourneys displays are bugged?)

I still love pve side and world exploration Last night I was just running  around and world is still gorgeous and worth exploring every bit even if its a bit  lonely. I done one event quest (quaggan wants become pirate) and it was great fun and hilarious too ( i do pity the pirates though). Some NPC dialogue is pure gold . I just wish there was more dynamic events going on - not the chest stuff which seem to be plenty populated but its centered around a few boss mobs in few areas - standard gear grind i suppose

Also I been trying to lvl on my thief alt who was lvl 4 , and for some reason its so much more painfull than on my engi (well who is lvl80 but still) -no ranged aoe and have to melee mobs which hit  so hard i am down in 2 hits :(
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:54:13 PM by Dark_MadMax »
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 05:26:52 PM

Easy trick with the thief is offhand pistol. That aoe blind means you can kill stuff with impunity. It just takes a bit longer than other classes.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 08:35:22 PM

Having to do dungeons and fractals for monthly/gear is what made me quit.  Everything else with the game was fine, although it certainly did not have as many things to do as GW1 did.

I haven't done that at all. I did some fractals for a monthly (it was like, 5 for one month. Which are 10 minute affairs), we'll see what next month's is. All my gear is crafted.

If anything, I'd argue that the daily vendor stuff for ascended is the worst of the lot, simply because it makes you feel like you HAVE to play every night for at least an hour or you are screwing yourself.  And it's also alt-unfriendly as all fuck since it's account wide for one laurel/day, and 35 laurels for an item.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 08:37:00 PM

Easy trick with the thief is offhand pistol. That aoe blind means you can kill stuff with impunity. It just takes a bit longer than other classes.

Can do a few cheese with thief leveling. Offhand pistol for vets. Dual dagger #3 spam for packs of random things. Sword/Pistol #3 for large things that barely hurt. Use the healing signet for all of this as it's the only on-hit heal that heals per every hit instead of per skill activation.

Both of those #3s include evasion frames, so you basically take no damage for spamming them.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 11:01:37 PM

Lion's Arch in overflow today - haven't seen the game this busy. Lots of people in group scenarios at all levels and you bump into people in the wilds which is nice. Lots of people doing the guild events.

Currently I'm levelling my warrior but at 47 the signet build has just about done it's dash. I'm running a GS/Rifle P/P build. Any advice on a levelling build from 50 on?

When I started this game I got my Ranger to 39 and gave up on the game completely. Too hard to level. I got back into the game at the start of this month and in the process of hitting 80 on the Ranger, I realised the class is a bit underwhelming.

This month I've got the LBow/SBow ranger to 80. Followed by a Flamethrower/Elixir Engineer - against all advice this has been fun and a face-melter when levelling as long as you can keep the cone of fire centred. Once I learnt to forget the underwater weapon and use grenades I had a lot of fun.

Guardian next - bloody fast to level after 60 with GS/Hammer - prior to that I was levelling ok with Sword/Focus and Mace/Shield. This has to be the most enjoyable 80s I have in PvE although...

Mesmer was the next to 80 and omg - send in the clones and watch it level fast. I took it out into Wx3 and had a ball.

So 36 hours ago I started my warrior. Quite brutal when he hits things and can melt 4-5 normal mobs at once - but without the finesse of a guardian. I'm having a ball playing him, but I've been reading up on warriors in Wx3 and am a bit worried that it will be face-plant city.

This game is far from dead to me and is refreshing after my love-hate relationship with WoW.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 06:58:55 AM

Can do a few cheese with thief leveling. Offhand pistol for vets. Dual dagger #3 spam for packs of random things. Sword/Pistol #3 for large things that barely hurt. Use the healing signet for all of this as it's the only on-hit heal that heals per every hit instead of per skill activation.

Both of those #3s include evasion frames, so you basically take no damage for spamming them.

I mean I do know thiefs spvp tricks - I won about 200 tourneys or so with thief, so quite familiar with LDB/caltrops condition build and with blind,  but for pve leveling its quite different. I think LDB /caltrops probably could be best option once I ever unlock them but I was just reading caltrops got  nerfed in half and I am like wtf.... -conditions were always awful for pve events (other people kill shit so fast you can barely get credits for it and there is cap on condition for bosses so you are SOL)

One thing is having 1200 range grenades on engy with turrets for distraction where you can basically never get hit and do any packs as long as you are not "glancing ", all you need is grenade kit unlocked. And with my thief its been royal pain to get even to 20, let alone unlock the traits for effective build (because as stock thief without traits you have no ini and cant do shit)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 12:19:02 PM

Grenade engies are pretty shit until post-60 (due to the third grenade/throw trait being the only thing that makes it better than just spamming flamethrower in events)

Caltrops in pve zergs aren't bad as long as you have condition damage. The way condition stacking works sucks, but if you have any decent amount of cond damage, your bleed ticks will still trigger (the way it works on bleed is that the last dude to apply doesn't own the whole stack, everyone basically gets their slice. So my engie constantly has bleed ticks running, while his burning tick is pretty rare since it stacks duration)

DB/Caltrops in general will level a thief easy though. You only need to re-evaluate life around 60-70 where you get a normal build and start spamming point blank range Cluster Bombs for DE tagging. Seriously, the best tagging class in the game due to shotgun cluster bombs.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 12:48:55 PM

Yeah slowly getting hang of it . I was also doing the zone from "wrong" side and mobs were 5 lvls above me lol.caltrops are still good finally unlocked them :)  I might have forgotten all the leveling woes of the engi since he is lvl 80 now and just facerolls anything  .Its funny though that I never played thief in pve and first 20 levels are like fighting with both hands tied  after  getting used to  fully unlocked skills and gear in spvp

Finally done the monthly thing (the damn master crafter achieve was royal pain) to my dissapointment it was only 10 laurels (for some reason i thought if u do all 4 tiers u get extra 10).  I kinda want ascended stuff but seems best way is to grind dungeons and guild events.Seems I have  to look for guild  now

Also  world is not quite dead indeed I did kessex and around there  -  less people than at release but still enough to do most events. I just now guest to other servers if on mine it looks empty

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 06:31:32 PM

I'm still logging in and periodically leveling my Necro. The new April content looks pretty great and I have a feeling that'll drag me back in pretty heavily.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 11:24:49 PM

I still need cooking for master crafter - I'm not looking forward to levelling it - the others were all easy

TheDreamr
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 03:55:24 AM

I still need cooking for master crafter - I'm not looking forward to levelling it - the others were all easy

If you're not against following a guide then cooking isn't hard - went from 0 to 400 in an hour (plus shopping time) last night for around 1.8g plus a small amount of karma and still had a little inventory space left at the end.

Still finding GW2 Crafts a useful resource as it works out the cheapest materials to use based on latest TH prices and then provides a crafting plan.  Big thank you to whoever dropped that link in one of the other threads btw, has been most helpful.

edit button addict.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 05:39:56 AM

Thanks for that, I'll give it a shot :)

Just got my warrior to 80 in 3 days. I'm a bit ambivalent towards the class since the signets became weak. Currently my rating of classes is Guardian = Mesmer > Engineer = Ramger > Warrior. Compared to a GS/Hammer Guardian, a GS/Bow/Rifle Warrior with shout-heals is weak - Orrians pulverise him into the ground compared to the Guardian (both in Knight's armour). The burst on the warrior seems higher but needs more finesse than the Guardian which just mows everything down. The mesmer GS/Scepter/Focus is just all-out awesome and has to be one of the most fun kiting classes I've played :)

With 3 classes to go, I need a break from levelling and to sit back and enjoy the classes I have levelled. I like exploring but have no wish to map-complete and TBH, I'm  a bit burnt out on the levelling process.

As far as races go, I love the Charr backstory (Warrior and Engineer) and the Norn was "OK" (Ranger). The human story was boring which is sad because the Mesmer and Guardian are both... human).

I have an Asura Thief at 8 but as an earlier post pointed out, it feels fragile. I might have to dig out the tree-necromancer when it next comes time to level and just take it easy.

I'm assuming that a necro is easier to level than a Thief or Ele.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 06:33:02 AM

Minor derail, but the April 1st thing GW2 is doing is pretty fucking  awesome, for real DRILLING AND MANLINESS why so serious?.

It's basically an 8-bit style minigame with some really crazy stuff. They'll have it going until end of April, so get to de choppa!

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 06:56:35 AM

I'm assuming that a necro is easier to level than a Thief or Ele.

I have a 61 mesmer, 61 necro and 80 ele. The ele was the most difficult to level, then the necro, then the mesmer.

Ele just doesn't feel strong enough to make up for its fragility (unless you go D/D bunker type). It's a little disappointing.

It does seem to me that there are fewer people playing the past couple of weeks, but maybe it's just my server. I mostly stay in wvw. The two servers we play against doesn't change very often. One of them just got a huge number of transfers, so that we are now outnumbered by a good bit, which isn't a whole lot of fun much of the time. We're down in the second to last tier, and in third place in our tier, so I suppose we'll be dropping to last tier soon. I don't know how this could be fixed by the developers in any long term way, really.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 07:10:21 AM

I hear there are some low pop servers, but Tarnished Coast is one of the full ones and it's anything but dead. 

I'd suggest trying the Adventure Box dungeon.  It made me want to kill myself because I hate jumping puzzles, but the community is going apeshit over it and it does look pretty amazing.

That and the game is still fun.  The grinds are entirely avoidable. 
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 07:23:47 AM

I tried the Super Fun Adventure or whatever it's called. It made me want to stab myself, because I am terrible at jumping. I avoid jumping puzzles.

I made it through the first world but will not be playing further.

I did very much like the whole 8 bit platform-y Japanese style theme, however, but sucked at it.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 07:43:35 AM

You can always talk to the cloud and use baby mode. No jumping then.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 07:45:11 AM

Dat end boss.  ACK!

I guess he's soloable, it just takes foreverrrrr... unless there are some [hidden] skills that make the process go faster.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 07:45:33 AM

I was using baby mode. I am that terrible at jumping.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 07:59:06 AM

Can you still get the chests?  I'm not aware of any rewards except scattered baubles with the chance of skins in the chests. 

I'm tempted to explore this dungeon solo, but I don't want to do the bauble grind.  If there was some other chance of something dropping, I'd invest the time.  Other than that, I've seen it, it's pretty, I'm fine to never go back.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 04:14:17 PM

I was using baby mode. I am that terrible at jumping.

Same here, it's a neat idea, but not for me. 
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 04:39:00 PM

I'd suggest trying the Adventure Box dungeon.  It made me want to kill myself because I hate jumping puzzles, but the community is going apeshit over it and it does look pretty amazing.

Yeah its full of jumping puzzles but I like most puzzles. Its pretty long though if you go for all chests  and end boss takes forever too
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or?  
Jump to: