Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:12:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mech Builds and Build Planning Sites 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mech Builds and Build Planning Sites  (Read 30533 times)
Segoris
Terracotta Army

on: March 21, 2013, 04:07:56 PM

Build Planning Websites (provide links to these for updating into the build index):
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab
http://mechromancer.wordoflowtax.com/
http://www.mechspecs.com/forum.php (discussion forum)

Builds
-These are pretty general, most build will fluctuate with +/- a heatsink, ammo, AMS, etc.
-Try to add tips about chasis/mechs to help newer people. Example -
Catapult tips: XL engines work well because they have small sides
Hunchback tips: XL engines suck because they have huge sides, and everyone aims for the side torso since most HBK's have the bulk of their firepower there

Light

Commando (25 ton) - The smallest Mech available currently, but very quick and has been known to be underestimated at the wrong times

COM-1B

COM-1D

COM-2D

COM-3A

COM-Death's Knell (Hero)

Spider (30 ton)

SDR-5D

SDR-5K

SDR-5V

Jenner (30 ton)

JR7-D

JR7-F

JR7-K

Raven (35 ton)

RVN-2X

RVN-3L

RVN-4X

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:02:45 AM by Segoris »
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:19:49 PM

Medium Builds

Cicada (40 ton)

CDA-2A

CDA-2B

CDA-3C

CDA-3M

CDA X-5 (Hero)

Centurion (50 ton)

CN9-A

CN9-AL

CN9-D

CN9 Yen-Lo-Wang (Hero)

Hunchback (50 ton) - Great starter mech as it is good at everything and great at nothing, while being very cheap too. Does not do well with XL engines as it has huge side torsos which everyone aims for since, in all but one chassis, your right torso stores most of your firepower. Arguably made obsolete by the Trebuchet, but still does very well. With an energy hard point in its head and side torsos in every version, it is capable of running in "zombie mode," but not quite the zombie capability of the Centurion

HBK-4SP - Only Hunchback which is symmetrical in its weapon hardpoints, so losing one side torso is not as devastating as it is in other versions of the HBK.

HBK-4P - most laser hard points of any mech currently. Saves weight by not needing ammo, but runs very hot if utilizing all of those energy hard points.

HBK-4J - 2x missile hard points like the 4SP, and one bonus energy hard point, but bulk of firepower is in a side torso.

HBK-4H - 1x ballistic and retains respectable energy weapon capabilities, most fire power is in the side torso again

HBK-4G - 3x ballistic hard points, all in the side torso. Being only 50tons, that many ballistic hard points is tough to utilize to their fullest potential, but can still pull some decent pin-point damage

Trebuchet (50 ton)

TBT-3C

TBT-5J

TBT-5N

TBT-7K

TBT-7M

Kintaro 55 ton

KTO-18

KTO-19

KTO-20

KTO-Golden Boy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:34:49 AM by Segoris »
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:26:09 PM

Heavy

Dragon (60 ton)

DRG-1C

DRG-1N

DRG-5N

DRG-Fang (Hero)

DRG-Flame (Hero)

Catapult (65 ton)

CPLT-A1

CPLT-C1

CPLT-C4

CPLT-K2

JagerMech (65 ton)

JM6-A

JM6-DD

JM6-S

Cataphract (70 ton)

CTF-1X

CTF-2X

CTF-3D

CTF-4X

CTF-Ilya Muromets (Hero)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:06:50 AM by Segoris »
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 04:26:28 PM

Assault

Awesome (80 ton)

AWS-8Q

AWS-8R

AWS-8T

AWS-8V

AWS-9M

AWS-Pretty Baby (Hero)

Stalker (85 ton) Lots of weapon hard points and the tonnage to make use of them makes the Stalker a deadly mech. Does well at boating, but is not a fast mover with its limited engine capacity. Huge side torsos make using an XL on Stalkers a major risk. Most commonly purchased are the 3F, 5M, and 5S

STK-3F Has the most torso twist of the stalkers, making it the best stalker for a majority of builds (exception being for boating SRMs which goes to the 5M)

STK-3H the only stalker with 20 missile pods on the arms, while the rest have 10 on the arms. That is the only bonus to this mech, which is minimal. Generally, avoid this mech as it is a subpar 5M, 3F, or 5S

STK-4N No reason to pick this mech. It is subpar to the 3F and 5S while removing a missile hardpoint on the left arm

STK-5M Best for SRMs by gaining 1x missile slot but it loses 1 an energy hard point compared to the 3F and 5S.

STK-5S Same as a 3F but without the bonus torso twist range, while gaining an extra AMS slot.

Atlas (100 ton) The largest mech available. DDC has ECM capability and is generally viewed as the favorite, but other AS7 mechs can laydown a big pile of hurt. Not the fastest mech (given its size that is understandable and only to be expected), but definitely a powerhouse. Most commonly purchased are the DDC, D, and RS.

AS7-D Usually picked so you don't have to play the -K version, this is a subpar DDC. The 2 energy hardpoints it gains over a DDC are in center mass limiting their potential on a mech of this tonnage, no ECM, loses a missile hard point. If mechs had a sales pitch, the D's would be "at least it's not a -K!"

AS7-DDC The most desired of the Atlas due to ECM, the most missile slots, 2x ballistic (with the tonnage to use them well), and the most modules (which is now more important thanks to consumables) means this is usually the main choice for an AS7 pilot. The only real reason to play this and go with an -RS would be if someone wanted to do some energy based build with 4x energy hard points split between its arms.

AS7-K At an increased price tag of over 3mil cbills than a DDC, you can own your very own -K model, which will get you an extra AMS slot. I want to put more, but seriously....that's it. Move along.

AS7-RS Great energy alternative to the -D model as it has the energy hard points on the arms. It does lose a ballistic slot compared to the -D, and does not have ECM, but it is still VERY capable of some mass destruction. A good option for someone that is not wanting to be on a DDC

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:06:25 AM by Segoris »
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 04:51:19 PM

Nice start, thanks Seg. @Gonna edit this post with some of my favorite builds, descriptions of how they  act, and why I think they are good.@

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 04:53:35 PM

Kong Approved Builds:
http://pastebin.com/eXwbLR00

Kong Interstellar being 4ch's /vg/ open corp. They have voice and anyone can drop with them if desired.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:23:47 PM

What I'm currently running: Atlas RS - 325 Standard, 4LL AC20 2xSSRM2

Beware that acclimatization to arm aiming may destroy your ability and/or tolerance to roll in anything else.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 06:27:47 PM

Haven't checked a number of the Kong builds, but some of them seem to just be the standard build. Basically, if a link it given which is standard, I'll probably note it as such, creative builds (or ones I've seen less often) I'll just put whoever linked them
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:38:23 AM

Alright, spent a little work time in updating a couple more. Going to try and add some notes to each chassis as well to help people looking at buying mechs. I tried to stay neutral and objective, but then I ran into the STK-3H, the -4N, and AS7-K in that order and noticed I was becoming less and less neutral since I could not in good conscience reccomend any of those.

Feel free to add notes and/or suggestions about the formatting and layouts for what works best for people. I'm going back and forth about using /list coding, but I may do just that with the additional chassis info. Any input/info about chassis is welcomed to help out people, and would be helpful if someone could write up a couple sentences about certain mechs I have less experience with or against (Dragon and Jager being the main ones I am the least knowledgeable about, the rest I can confidently throw down some info on).

Will be updating the first post to include some common terms. Example: saying "brawl(er)" in a build link will usually mean it is equipped with SRMs and Medium Lasers, sniper build usually means PPCs and/or certain ballistics.

Zaljerem
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:40:16 AM

FLAME "Mnementh" 4 MPL, SRM 6, XL 360, DHS, AMS

Slay whipped this one up for me while going through my mechlab. Fast for a Heavy, packs a good punch, with good survivability.

AWS-8R - 4 LRM15+Artemis, TAG, 2 MPL, DHS, BAP

60 LRMs coming down on your dome hurts. BAP for the hell of it, TAG to help target/cut ECM, 2 MPL for close range

CTF-2X - LL, 2 ML, 2 LRM5+Artemis, AC/10, DHS

A weird, not-the-most-efficient, but fun and versatile build.

CTF-3D - 2 PPC, AC/10, 2 MPL, DHS, AMS

Another weird Cataphract build, kinda sniper. Can run a little hot.

Every problem has a better solution when you start thinking about it differently than the normal way. - Steve Wozniak
When is [Minecraft] going to get together with DF, have a nice cuddle and a bottle of wine and finally produce the Baby that I want ? - Ironwood
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all." - GlaDOS
Zaljerem
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 10:45:37 AM

(Note: your Kong link for CN9-D is pointing to a CN9-AL build)

CN9-D - Gauss, SSRM2, 2 ML, DHS

"Sprinturion" w/Gauss Rifle.

AS7-K - 2 AMS, AC/10, 2 LPL, 2 MPL, LRM20, DHS

As I already had a D-DC, I chose the K instead of the RS, if only to annoy Slay with dual AMS  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

AS7-D - 2 LBX10, 2 LL, 2 MPL, 2 SRM6, DHS

Had to do something with my Founder Atlas, so why not dual LBX10?  why so serious?

AS7-D-DC - Gauss, 2 LL, 3 SRM6, ECM, DHS

Yes I left the Command Console in ... I expect it will be used for something ... eventually ...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:12:02 AM by Zaljerem »

Every problem has a better solution when you start thinking about it differently than the normal way. - Steve Wozniak
When is [Minecraft] going to get together with DF, have a nice cuddle and a bottle of wine and finally produce the Baby that I want ? - Ironwood
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all." - GlaDOS
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 07:27:05 AM

I've had a lot of success with my Cicada 2A with 6 ML and a max XL engine. It does 151Km with the elite speed tweak and it has it's armour maxed. Heat isn't too bad either.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 08:32:25 AM

(Note: your Kong link for CN9-D is pointing to a CN9-AL build)

Thanks

I've had a lot of success with my Cicada 2A with 6 ML and a max XL engine. It does 151Km with the elite speed tweak and it has it's armour maxed. Heat isn't too bad either.

That is one of my favorite mechs/buildouts even now. The XL340 is the way to go, but if someone has a 325 or 330 they are perfect alternates. The XL325 gives 2 more DHS and max armor, the XL330 does the same but lose 8 armor.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 05:31:31 PM

Slay's Stable: The CN9-D Zombie Assassin

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=29&l=c6a1b0ed22247936c39bd9d56c5676825ec9a0fc

My original overly fast medium mech. Sure, it costs as much as 3 well fit other mechs, but it's a real stud. Nothing better than running around armless as a speak tweaked 135 kph Centurion. It's a tough nut to crack, unless you manage to shut down at the wrong place. Basically, chew up lights and back rape assaults. You biggest problem is smart mediums/heavies legging you. Lack of JJ and ECM makes it a high skill threshold mech. Don't forget to open bay doors, and never stop moving and juking.

If you like centurions and lights, it really doesn't get any better than this one.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:41:55 PM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 05:40:19 PM

Slay's Stable: Spiders are ...Awesome?

SDR-5D

Badass little mofo right here. Never stop moving and use the terrain to your advantage. You are an assaults worst nightmare. Beware of Raven 3L and Commando 2D. Enjoy making Cataphracts cry.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:48 AM

Slay's Stable: I have too many C-Bills Awesome

AWS-9M 3 LPL, 3 ML

This mech moves like a hunchie. Rapes like an Atlas. 45 point laser alpha, absolutely brutal. It has a speed tweaked 85 kph that can get you out of a bind, and really able to torso twist well between salvos. Drawback: Short Range

AWS-9M - 4 LL , SRM4

My first 9M love, great at medium range engagements. I pity the fool that lets you manuever around behind em.
Drawback: Not tough enough for up close brawl. Must dictate range.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 08:56:04 AM

Slay's Stable: 6 PPC Awesome

AWS-8Q

This is a horrible mech. This can be the most entertaining mech in the game. 1 shotting that pussy in the Raven-3L sure makes life better. Blow off just about any leg in 1 salvo.

Drawbacks: Alpha twice and you will be out of the fight forever.Pretty slow. Big. Ugly. Large center torso. and HEAT. and SHUTDOWNS

Seriously, don't build this mech. If you do, you can blame me for being fuckin AWESOME.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 08:07:47 AM

Slay's Stable: SDR-5K - I'm stuck leveling, might as well have some fun!

SDR-5K

Works ok without DHS.

SDK-5V - Bad Mech, JUMP HIGH

SDR-5V

I just used the XL 225 in all my spiders, until eventually buying some expensive mech that came with an XL 250 (TBT-7M maybe?)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:22:50 AM by Slayerik »

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 08:30:02 AM

Slay's Stable: CDA-3M  - The Original Cicada Madness

CDA-3M

My first back attack mech. Why do they even call this a Medium? Oh yeah, 4 MPLs. Fast, fun, and deadly - the CDA-3M's held my attention for a long time, and put a lot of mechs in a smoldering heap on the ground. And hey, it's cheap by my standards...coming with a very versatile XL 320 engine (I have used that engine in a lot of builds).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:32:03 AM by Slayerik »

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 11:55:07 AM

Slay's Stable: CTF-3D - Destroyer of Worlds

CTF-3D

I like Cataphracts. They hit hard, take a beating, and hit hard again. Too bad they lack manueverability. At least, the OTHER ones do. With this mech, you shouldn't be right in the middle of the brawl...you should just behind it, jumping up and down like a buncha white boys in a house of pain video. When shit gets up-close and personal, this mech does just fine with its 42 point alpha. Heat can be a factor, but that Gauss keeps laying down fire...heat or not (as long as it hasn't assploded by then). "JUMP AROUND!"

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 12:34:57 PM

Good God, what the hell is that ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 02:35:33 PM

The build, or "House of Pain" :)

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 02:42:11 PM

Slay's Stable: CTF-4X - Best Build.

CTF-4X

I've heard this is a bad mech. I liked it back with Ultras, and still like it now. Looked at my stats and noticed I have a 3.0 - 1 kill/death. Guess it's worth posting! Some people hate on the XL in a cata, well I am almost always center torso dead...so it really doesnt bother me. Low heat, high DPS. THE 4X build.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:43:43 PM by Slayerik »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 02:58:47 PM

Yeah, that's exactly (from memory) my build for the 4x.

It works well and you can even drop the heatsinks if you need to.  The only problem is speed - it ain't the fastest.  But if you get those four cannons on them, it's game over.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 08:19:19 PM

Slay's Stable- TBT-5J

2 Large Laser
3 Medium Laser

17 DHS, endo, FF
5 Jumpjets
XL 300

Badass mech.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 08:50:39 AM

Toss up a link. Until then, I'm guessing you did not mean to include FF and you dropped the armor down to 304/338 so I'm posting it as I just described. I kept all armor max but dropped the legs to 31, though I'm not sure how you have your armor arranged
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 09:20:47 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure what my issue was last night!

TBT-5J

Found that legs eat a lot of fire, I will probably be adjusting even more down there.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 09:41:32 AM

Slay's Stable - DRG-1N - Dragons are...good?

DRG-1N

I used to think the Dragon was a shit chassis. Sorta fast, underpowered...basically my AWS-9M without balls. I have to admit, once I started using them I realized I underestimated them. This 1N is a great mid range skirmisher. The AC5s do a lot of damage with little heat, LRM harass is nice, and medium lasers are solid enough. Once I got speed tweak on this I changed to this build DRG-1N with XL 340

DGN-1C - BA-WOW

DRG-1C

This was an incredibly satisfying laser boat. Can take some damage, but if you are good with positioning you will be the one dealing it. Sold this after getting my CTF-3D as my LL platform, but kinda regret it. Very solid mech. Can mess with engine sizes and heat sinks a bit as well.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 10:31:59 AM

Slay's Stable - CTF-2X - Me Thunk you

CTF-2X

Don't go around that corner. This CTF-2X could be waiting to ruin your day. This build is a lot less effective with the large maps, but you can still make your way to <270 and demolish things. Might be my favorite brawler. Burst, turn and arm soak damage. Standard scrapping rules apply.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 07:41:00 AM

Slay's Stable: TBT-3C Mid/short Range Pain locker

TBT-3C

Yeah, it's not all that fast. At speed tweaked 80, it's as slow as you'd ever want to be in a medium. On the plus side, it rips shit up. With the alpha of a 9 Medium laser HBK, and less heat by a fair amount (29 to 36), this sucker knows how to say hello. It's surprisingly tough, with its large arms soaking up damage (and being blown off, losing weapons unfortunately). It brawls pretty well, and harasses nicely with 3 LL.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 12:01:17 PM

LanLabs Presents:  The Cataphract

CTF-3D - Bouncy with Pulse Lasers

CTF-4X - Double-Barreled Shotgun

CTF-2X - Dark Alley Brawler

Although I have an alternate 3D configuration with PPC and Gauss, I much prefer brawlers.  These builds are approximate, but the weapon loadouts are correct.  I'll tweak ammo, DHS, and other equipment every few fights.  The 3D is my newest build, but so far it's done very well, even on huge maps like Tourmaline.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 12:53:21 PM

What the hell is the CASE for ?

There's not even any ammo there....

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 03:24:02 PM

In the legs.  Ammo explosion will go to the side torsos, then the center.  It's not something that'll matter every fight, but it has saved my ass a few times.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 03:45:53 PM

Wait what ?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 07:11:25 PM

Excess damage transfers.  Arms and Legs to same Side Torso.  Side Torso to Center Torso.  Ammo explosions only hit internals.  CASE stops explosions in their location, even if it's transferred damage.  (It also improves the chances of salvage in table top, and pilot survival.)

So say someone strips my leg armor or I overheat and it cooks my ammo... first it cores out my limb, then the excess fries my side torso.  If I have CASE, it stops there.  If I don't and there is still damage to do, it goes to the Center Torso.  BOOM.

That's one of the huge advantages of Clan 'mechs.  Weightless CASE in any limb instead of just the side torsos.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mech Builds and Build Planning Sites  
Jump to: