Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:59:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: J.J. Abrams and Valve planning on doing movies and a game together 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: J.J. Abrams and Valve planning on doing movies and a game together  (Read 8525 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: February 06, 2013, 06:25:22 PM

They announced at the 2013 D.I.C.E. Summit that's going on right now that they'll be collaborating on a game and movies together.

http://techzwn.com/2013/02/half-life-portal-films-announced-by-j-j-abrams-and-valve/
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:31:57 PM

Where does Abrams find the time to do all this stuff? Half Life, Star Trek, Star Wars, a couple of TV shows on top. My life seems empty.

Anyway, Yay!? I'm not sure a portal movie will be easy to do at all though, given the general lack of backstory, narrative or any characterization. At least the normal methods.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 09:28:18 PM

Portal would be hard in that there's only one character against one other voice-only character for the entire thing. But I kinda thought I am Legend the movie worked. Needs a really strong female lead and the world itself needs to be treated as a character.

Half-Life would be curious. Dystopian future with mysterious alien-like stuff and government coverups, kinda passe right now, no?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:43:40 PM

Portal would be good as a very low key, indie style film. Nothing on a star trek type scale, very much a horror movie in theme.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 10:12:52 PM

The story of everyone dying or escaping at aperture and the rise of glados could be a decent story. Portal 1 and beyond, I don't see.

If you accept the assumption that portal and half life exist in parallel it gets even harder.

Also, J Coulton soundtrack!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:14:59 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 02:04:31 AM

So we'll get Halflif: Lensflare and Portal: Lensflare?

Awesome.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 03:36:33 AM

Ok, I think the lense flare jokes have reached the end of their shelf life.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 04:17:43 AM

Portal would be hard in that there's only one character against one other voice-only character for the entire thing. But I kinda thought I am Legend the movie worked. Needs a really strong female lead and the world itself needs to be treated as a character.

Half-Life would be curious. Dystopian future with mysterious alien-like stuff and government coverups, kinda passe right now, no?

It's not impossible to envision a Portal film, it could be a film very similar to 2001, Moon, or Buried; it would be interesting to see a woman in the role of the person trapped in a claustrophobic environment. I doubt it would be a summer blockbuster, but I could see the outline of a great film in there.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 05:52:11 AM

I used to say that videogames were show business for geeks.  Now, I guess it's all just show business.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 06:50:07 AM

I hope they scrap the idea personally.  Half Life and Portal are masterpieces designed for gaming media.  I see no reason to move their stories to the big screen.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 06:50:17 AM

It's been that way for a good long while.  Where the fuck have you been ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 06:59:43 AM

I used to say that videogames were show business for geeks.  Now, I guess it's all just show business.

--Dave
Sure, in 1991.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 07:15:45 AM

Frank Darabont already did a film about Half-Life - it was called "The Mist".  I quite liked it.

Edit: a quick google shows I am not alone in thinking this.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:17:42 AM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 07:31:59 AM

No.  It pretty much was a film about what happened after a resonance cascade.

If it hadn't been for the awful, awful fucking ending, it would have been a good film.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 08:17:21 AM

I liked the ending.

But personally, rather than a Portal or Half-Life movie, I'd rather just see Half Life 2, EPISODE FUCKING THREE.

Comma Goddamnit.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 09:14:31 AM

I liked the ending.

But personally, rather than a Portal or Half-Life movie, I'd rather just see Half Life 2, EPISODE FUCKING THREE.

Comma Goddamnit.

Can I get an Amen?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 11:35:02 AM

I'm over Episode 3.  Episode 2 was dumb.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 12:47:33 PM

I quite liked episode 2.

But yeah, christ, Abrams has cemented himself as the gold standard nerd director at this point.  Not sure how he's going to balance all of these projects.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 01:27:27 PM

But yeah, christ, Abrams has cemented himself as the gold standard nerd director at this point.  Not sure how he's going to balance all of these projects.

There's a lot of assumption going on about this whole story but there really isn't any news. Despite what the geek press are saying, this isn't an announcement at all. Sure it's the closest Newell has come to saying he'd grant the rights to make a Half-Life movie (and given that Abrams, Del Toro and Duncan Jones amongst others are all massive fans of the series, he knows he'll get a director who isn't Uwe Boll) but at best it's a pre-pre-production statement. It's "wouldn't it be cool if we made a Half-Life/Portal movie!"  There's no production company attached, no budget, no shooting schedule, no script - and even if Abrams stuck to his word and got someone to write it, that doesn't mean anything either because Newell could still turn around and say "Yeah, you know what - this isn't going to happen."

Even if it does happen (and I will be first in the queue for a ticket!), I reckon Abrams would produce and get someone like Matt Reeves or Drew Goddard on board to direct.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 01:34:07 PM

Producing takes a lot of work too. Mostly likely he'll just be one of the Executive Producers.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 07:03:35 PM

When Abrams said the project status of any Portal / HL movie is that "they'll get a writer on it", it really means it probably won't happen. Which is a good thing, since the movies would be terrible because the sources are terrible to make a movie out of.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 02:49:46 AM

When Abrams said the project status of any Portal / HL movie is that "they'll get a writer on it", it really means it probably won't happen. Which is a good thing, since the movies would be terrible because the sources are terrible to make a movie out of.

No they're not. Well, Portal, perhaps but Half-Life could totally be done. Half-Life 1 is Die Hard in a science lab with aliens instead of terrorists. It has the perfect structure for a movie - first act set-up with the resonance cascade, a second act filled with jeopardy, betrayals and escalating threat and a final act on Xen that might just work in a movie even though it didn't work so well in the game.

Half-Life 2 is obviously a film about a dystopian future but is also a war film and is an easy sell really in this age of insurgents, occupying forces, social control and cultural imperialism. Three act structure also in place - but personally I'd make Gordon less reactive and certainly make his motivation of assaulting the Citadel less about rescuing Alyx and more about stopping Dr Breen.

Yes, I have spent far too much time thinking about this over the years.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 03:26:17 AM

And I'd think portal would be somewhat like a new version of the cube, which I thought was a brilliant movie. vOv

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 04:17:54 AM

Yes.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 08:01:57 AM

And I'd think portal would be somewhat like a new version of the cube, which I thought was a brilliant movie. vOv

But only if they got J.K. Simmons back as CAVE JOHNSON!!!!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 08:25:52 AM

I think we are talking about Portal, not Portal 2: The Lengthening.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 08:58:06 AM

That would be a shame. As good as Portal 1 is, Cave Johnson makes everything better. Almost like bacon in voice form.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 12:59:07 PM

I'm torn.  Would cut into GladOS time.

When I grow up I'm going to make a System Shock movie.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 01:02:43 PM

Yes.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 01:46:29 PM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 02:00:45 PM

I think you could make a pretty decent movie by taking the basic structure of Portal 1, eliminating all the puzzle repetition, and using some of the background material exposed in Portal 2 to flesh out the second half where Chell is running around "behind the scenes".  There's no reason that you couldn't have Chell stumble across the old Cave Johnson labs during that segment.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 02:12:21 PM

It just isn't the right kind of narrative for cinema. As much as people complain about games trying to look like movies, I am nearly certain that trying to turn this game into a movie would be far worse.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 12:14:07 AM

Nobody's rooting for a L4D movie? Son...
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 07:47:03 AM

Do we really need more zombie media?  Really?

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 08:00:35 AM

Do we really need more zombie media?  Really?
Zombie media for the braindead audience? why so serious?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: J.J. Abrams and Valve planning on doing movies and a game together  
Jump to: