Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:26:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 605834 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #2415 on: November 16, 2021, 10:05:09 AM

I did like 90% of the what ifs

the problem is you
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2416 on: November 16, 2021, 11:27:26 AM

The only thing keeping me somewhat optimistic was the initial strength of the Didny+ shows (Wanda/Cap/Loki, though Cap stumbled a lot). What Ifs were just not my jam. At least a couple episodes of the Star Wars anime stuff were worth watching, in comparison (and I dislike anime).

I did see Black Widow (didn't realize it was included with Didny+ yet) over the weekend. It was...ok? I'd rather have seen a Crimson Dynamo movie, tbh (and the Weinstein stuff was just pure cringe). I really have zero interest in Shang-Chi (I don't even remember him from comics at all) or the Eternals, they just look bad with no nostalgic mitigation.

But seriously. Crimson Dynamo.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2417 on: November 16, 2021, 11:32:34 AM

Red Guardian, you mean?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2418 on: November 16, 2021, 04:59:45 PM

Well, dialing down expectations from SAVE HALF OF ALL THE LIVING BEINGS IN THE GALAXY is a bit of a heavy lift. I won't call the code on the MCU until Multiverse of Madness sucks.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #2419 on: November 19, 2021, 08:22:54 AM

Well, dialing down expectations from SAVE HALF OF ALL THE LIVING BEINGS IN THE GALAXY is a bit of a heavy lift. I won't call the code on the MCU until Multiverse of Madness sucks.

--Dave

spider man no way home looks like an utter masterpiece

anyone thinking the MCU has even missed a beat after Wandavision and Loki is a hack and a liar

no one should have ever expected eternals to be good and captain america shit has always been inconsistent and falcon just doubles down on that
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2420 on: November 19, 2021, 02:02:04 PM

Let me put it this way. When folks were going har har har Guardians of the Galaxy looks stupid, there's a talking racoon in it, folks who'd read the comics were like "no wait actually guys this has a chance to be really good, the source material is fantastic".

When people were like "hey they pulled off Guardians of the Galaxy, I bet Eternals will be great", folks who'd read the comics were like "man, I dunno, the source material kind of sucks and I have no idea why they're doing it".
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2421 on: November 22, 2021, 07:05:18 PM

--Dave

I don't think you got to tell "BIG MASSIVE THE UNIVERSE IS ENDANGER" type of stories for all movies going forward. I mean Black Widow worked not because of the "secret evil plot by yet another super secret organization who runs the world from the shaaaaaaaaadows" but because Natasha was reconnecting with her family and the complex feelings of knowing in your head they weren't real but also wanting them to be real. The marvel tv shows mostly the same diff, even loki explores the emotional center of loki as a character with the whole multiverse being a backdrop.

Compare that to say Shangi-Chi and Eternals, "So my dad really wants me to help bring back my really dead mom who we both know is really dead and oh yeah he keeps sending assassins after me and my sister like he's cobra commander" or "So we gotta save this planet cause we live here sorta and kind of like this place even though we spent 7000 years waiting to go home..wooah".
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:31:30 AM by MediumHigh »
schild
Administrator

Reply #2422 on: November 23, 2021, 08:52:44 AM

black widow was actually terrible and i would argue it didn't work

and I'm a stan for half the cast
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2423 on: November 23, 2021, 10:31:48 AM

Opps
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2424 on: July 23, 2022, 08:40:53 PM

oh thank god we can stop wondering what phase 4 is about

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2425 on: July 23, 2022, 08:52:58 PM

That image is missing the Thunderbolts

Also Phase 6:

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2426 on: July 23, 2022, 09:01:38 PM

Worth noting that none of the animated stuff is listed on there (probably for the best). Also nothing mentioned of the previously announced Armor Wars D+ series.

These release dates will likely shift, as they always do. I'd be very surprised to see two Avengers movies release in one year. A Spider-man movie would likely release sometime during the phases also as they had been cranking them out every couple years up until this point.

No Shang Chi or Eternals sequels on the list, but it took Captain Marvel and Black Panther both 4 years to get sequels out (granted, Covid was obviously a big factor there). GotG took 5 years to get from 2 to 3 (even more factors beyond Covid).

Also Phase 4 - 6 has been dubbed the Multiverse Saga.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2427 on: July 24, 2022, 09:25:04 AM

I'm beginning to think more and more that the end of Phase Six is going to be a huge recasting + adding in the mutants.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2428 on: July 24, 2022, 09:34:03 AM

Also interesting that there's no Young Avengers on there. Maybe early in Phase 6, or they'll be part of the two part Avengers wrap-up as a separate team.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2429 on: July 24, 2022, 11:13:51 AM

Also interesting that there's no Young Avengers on there. Maybe early in Phase 6, or they'll be part of the two part Avengers wrap-up as a separate team.

There’s two more unannounced movies in 2025 (one in Feb and one in July IIRC). Also none of the phase 6 D+ shows are really announced, aside from potentially Armor Wars which hasn’t been slotted anywhere in phase 4 or 5 so far.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2430 on: July 24, 2022, 11:37:42 AM

Have we established what a secret invasion show even means?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2431 on: July 24, 2022, 11:39:21 AM

I'm beginning to think more and more that the end of Phase Six is going to be a huge recasting + adding in the mutants.

Worth noting that the phase terminology seems to just refer to the year now.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2432 on: July 24, 2022, 11:46:48 AM

Have we established what a secret invasion show even means?

Skrulls.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2433 on: July 24, 2022, 11:49:19 AM

I get that, but are these new baddie skulls? Is it even earth getting invaded? Is this a shield show or a team up show? Do we even know who is in it? Is it captain marvel 2 but on tv?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2434 on: July 24, 2022, 12:07:18 PM

I get that, but are these new baddie skulls? Is it even earth getting invaded? Is this a shield show or a team up show? Do we even know who is in it? Is it captain marvel 2 but on tv?

We know Fury, Talos, and Maria Hill are in it. Word is that Rhodes is in it also. They showed a trailer at comic-con but not one that is being released to the public. Descriptions are out there but I don’t know that it reveals all that much about what’s going on with the Skrulls.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2435 on: July 24, 2022, 02:05:50 PM

Secret Invasion has to be somewhat different than the comics version. I think you got the clearest sense of what it's going to be like in the endcredits thing for the second Spider-Man.

Looks like they've decided Kang is the big bad who gets us to the next "everybody's involved" movies.

Don't really see where the Eternals fit into the picture going forward--they may just want to forget about them entirely, who knows. Love and Thunder kind of showed they're not thinking terribly seriously about the Celestials as much of anything.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2436 on: July 24, 2022, 02:40:33 PM

We know Fury, Talos, and Maria Hill are in it. Word is that Rhodes is in it also. They showed a trailer at comic-con but not one that is being released to the public. Descriptions are out there but I don’t know that it reveals all that much about what’s going on with the Skrulls.
From what Feige said last year it's much smaller scale than the comic series. It's basically a show about Fury and Talos rooting out a group of Skrulls that have infiltrated positions of power on Earth.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvel-secret-invasion-avengers-series-kevin-feige/

Comic-Con reveal spoilers:
https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-secret-invasion-coming-to-disney-plus-next-spring-san-diego-comic-con
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2437 on: July 24, 2022, 07:17:26 PM

Secret Invasion has to be somewhat different than the comics version. I think you got the clearest sense of what it's going to be like in the endcredits thing for the second Spider-Man.

Looks like they've decided Kang is the big bad who gets us to the next "everybody's involved" movies.

Don't really see where the Eternals fit into the picture going forward--they may just want to forget about them entirely, who knows. Love and Thunder kind of showed they're not thinking terribly seriously about the Celestials as much of anything.

Eternals could end up in anything from FF, to GotG 3, to Secret Wars, or an Eternals sequel in one of the open 2025 spots. Covid and reshuffling took a bit of a toll, but aside from Sony cranking out Spider-man movies, sequels to the Phase 3 movies took 4-6 years (Dr. Strange being on the extreme end of that spectrum). Rumors have been coming out lately that Marvel is starting to work on an Eternals 2 although Zhao isn't expected to return.

Other random tidbits that came out yesterday:

- The Russos are not involved in either of the Avengers movies.
- Daredevil is apparently going to be 18 episodes long.
- Maria Bakalova is going to be voicing Cosmo in GotG 3. Chukwudi Iwuji came on stage in costume as the High Evolutionary for that movie as well.
- In addition to Secret Invasion, trailers were also shown for Quantumania and GotG 3 that were not released online.

Also Disney's annual D23 expo is Sept. 10th, and while there's probably not a whole lot left to reveal, maybe we'll see a bit more of the Werewolf by Night Halloween Special thing, or the GotG Holiday Special.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2438 on: July 25, 2022, 12:55:29 PM

From what Feige said last year it's much smaller scale than the comic series. It's basically a show about Fury and Talos rooting out a group of Skrulls that have infiltrated positions of power on Earth.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvel-secret-invasion-avengers-series-kevin-feige/

Comic-Con reveal spoilers:
https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-secret-invasion-coming-to-disney-plus-next-spring-san-diego-comic-con

Sounds cool. But I sort of wonder why it isn't billed as a Nick Fury show.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2439 on: September 11, 2022, 11:10:21 AM

Thunderbolts main cast announced at D23 yesterday:

David Harbour -- Red Guardian
Florence Pugh -- Black Widow
Hannah John-Kamen -- Ghost
Julia Louis-Dreyfus -- La Contessa Valentina Allegra de la Fontaine
Olga Kurylenko -- Taskmaster
Sebastian Stan -- The Winter Soldier
Wyatt Russell -- U.S. Agent

Currently scheduled release date: July 26, 2024

Artwork: https://twitter.com/andyparkart/status/1568731451608436736
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2440 on: September 11, 2022, 03:47:48 PM

They'd better fix Taskmaster before this goes up.

Also, wow, that's a Russian-heavy cast (in terms of the fictional backgrounds of the characters)...that might be a challenging thing if they decide they want these folks to be anti-heroes you can (kind of) root for.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2441 on: September 11, 2022, 04:48:19 PM

That's what happens when you keep killing villains for no good reason.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2442 on: September 11, 2022, 05:22:34 PM

Not announcing a Hulk/She-Hulk movie was a mistake.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2443 on: September 11, 2022, 09:52:21 PM

That's what happens when you keep killing villains for no good reason.

On the plus side though they're finally bringing Tim Blake Nelson back as the Leader for the next Captain America movie.

Also most of the villains the killed off wouldn't be suitable for a Thunderbolts movie anyway.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2444 on: September 11, 2022, 11:17:03 PM

True but oddly enough they killed off the ones that would’ve made the most sense like Batroc in the “prequel” series.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2445 on: September 12, 2022, 01:33:05 AM

That thunderbolts movie seems really tough to write.

Ghost and taskmaster are nonentities that seem very difficult to humanise. US agent is unlikeable by design. Winter soldier is the most boring character in the canon. Red Guardian is one joke.

Even if this is really Black Widow 2, it seems like a lot of work to do in a movie with many characters.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2446 on: September 12, 2022, 04:30:43 AM

In the comics, Thunderbolts has been great on two occasions.

1) In the very first run, when they were pretending to be heroes and nobody spoiled it in advance and so everybody picked up the comic thinking it was just a team of new superheroes only to be blown away by the last page. Then they did a respectable 12-15 issues that worked off the interesting tensions in that idea pretty well.

2) When Warren Ellis wrote it in the aftermath of Civil War, where it was just sick fun--villains exploiting patriotic pseudo-post 9/11 security theater and doing mostly villainous shit while also being more complex and interesting as characters than when they appear as bad guys.

The follow-up to Ellis was pretty decent in the same vein. It was also sort of good later on when Luke Cage ran the team out of a high-security prison, though that was much closer to Suicide Squad in basic feel.

This only works if these guys are mostly nasty but interesting and if the people forming the team have a compelling if cynical/lightly evil reason to do it.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2447 on: September 12, 2022, 04:54:56 AM

None of these guys being actual villains does seem to limit the script quite a lot.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2448 on: September 12, 2022, 08:09:21 AM

I think what it means is that they need something really nasty that needs doing that only folks who have been on the darker side of things can do well. Red Guardian is kind of the one-of-these-kids-is-not-like-the-others here--he's loud, clumsy etc. whereas everyone is stealthy, able to kill if need be, combat-trained, etc.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2449 on: September 12, 2022, 08:28:04 AM

They should've called it The C-String
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: