Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:00:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: So it looks like im headed back to paper 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So it looks like im headed back to paper  (Read 38880 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 08:28:09 PM

Ingmar, do you play Magic competitively?

No, but I have been trying to keep track of what is going on in case I ever do decide to jump back in, so I watch the metagame, look at the weekly winners, etc. I play a little draft on Magic Online when new sets hit usually, but I don't currently have the time to jump into the real thing with the level of effort I'd have to put in to really have a chance at success.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 04:37:21 AM

I had a mono-red cube. That was fun. I'm about 120 cards from foiling out the Powered Magic Online Holiday Cube. Which is maybe the best cube I've ever played.

Doesn't that one cost approximately thirty fucktons thanks to including the power nine?
I proxied the Power. Obviously. I mean, I have 5 of the 9 pieces of Power, but it's not the Power that is relevant here. Nonfoiled it's ~$14,000. Foiled it's about $25k. I already owned about 400 of the cards. It's a 540 card cube and I have about 100 cards left, almost none of which are expensive (1 is, but only to foil). The thing about the Holiday cube compared to other cubes is that nearly every card is a staple in their respective formats, so if you're deep into Magic, you already own 50% of it. If you take the power out of the cube it's still a $10,000+ cube. HOWEVER, this cube is by far the most fun I've _ever_ had with Magic.

Edit: I feel like I should note, foil cards have only recently jumped up in value. I started picking them up about 3-4 years ago when I noticed the price of a few vintage cards start to spike and I'd just started playing EDH. From there I was like "foiling legacy decks is cheap" and now that modern has been created, well, we can imagine where that's going. Foils have exploded. So while I got my foil stoneforge mystics for like $9 and my foil Noble Hierarchs for around the same, those cards are now $40-$50. My foil Bobs (Dark Confidant) have gone from $20 to about $105. These things just sort of... happened.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:03:55 AM by schild »
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 05:52:10 AM

I had a mono-red cube. That was fun. I'm about 120 cards from foiling out the Powered Magic Online Holiday Cube. Which is maybe the best cube I've ever played.

Doesn't that one cost approximately thirty fucktons thanks to including the power nine?
I proxied the Power. Obviously. I mean, I have 5 of the 9 pieces of Power, but it's not the Power that is relevant here. Nonfoiled it's ~$14,000. Foiled it's about $25k. I already owned about 400 of the cards. It's a 540 card cube and I have about 100 cards left, almost none of which are expensive (1 is, but only to foil). The thing about the Holiday cube compared to other cubes is that nearly every card is a staple in their respective formats, so if you're deep into Magic, you already own 50% of it. If you take the power out of the cube it's still a $10,000+ cube. HOWEVER, this cube is by far the most fun I've _ever_ had with Magic.

Edit: I feel like I should note, foil cards have only recently jumped up in value. I started picking them up about 3-4 years ago when I noticed the price of a few vintage cards start to spike and I'd just started playing EDH. From there I was like "foiling legacy decks is cheap" and now that modern has been created, well, we can imagine where that's going. Foils have exploded. So while I got my foil stoneforge mystics for like $9 and my foil Noble Hierarchs for around the same, those cards are now $40-$50. My foil Bobs (Dark Confidant) have gone from $20 to about $105. These things just sort of... happened.

Your foil Hierarchs and Bobs?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 05:58:30 AM

Your foil Hierarchs and Bobs?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Well, to be fair, you need 4, not 1 of each. But that said, I moved into a Japanese foil Hierarch for my cube. I can give better older examples (for example, I have 5 foil Dazes, all gotten long before they hit $60 or my Tangle Wires which were picked up when they were around $12).

Bah, here. Versions noted: http://deckbox.org/sets/192989
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 09:42:41 AM

So can someone explain this cube business?

There's actually an off-chance that there are people here (in Cotonou) who might actually be willing to play Magic. Obviously, no tournaments, but if there were interesting formats to play 1v1, that'd be helpful to know.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 11:03:02 AM

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #41 on: February 25, 2013, 12:15:40 PM

And this can be used in a 2-player format?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 12:18:53 PM

Well no, what I linked back a few pages (Winston Format) is the 2-player variant I would suggest with a cube. Grid Draft is pretty good as well.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 03:57:51 PM

I was writing a lands primer for the site I stream on with one of my friends, I'll cross post it here when it gets done.

Mind posting/PMing a link? Wouldn't mind watching you draft or play once and a while.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 09:59:59 PM

I will post here next time I stream. Articles and whatnot will be posted at Drecktech.com.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 09:08:39 PM

Let me just say, the first 10 non land cards they have spoiled for Dragon's Maze are a little warped.  I'm not quite sure what to make of the following...

Master of the Cruelties
5 cost BR 1/4 first strike, deathtouch, must attack alone and if it attacks a player and isnt blocked that player drops to 1 life.  Is this their idea of a negative thragtusk?  Who cares that you've bounced Thragtusk 3 times and have 35 life; 1 attack step with a rogues passage or glaring spotlight and you're still dead.  What?

new Izzet planeswalker
first two abilities are nice, but the ultimate is "flip 5 coins, take an extra turn for each heads"?!?  If i remember my stats right thats likes a 26/32 chance (just over 81%) of getting at least 2 heads.
Coin flipping is back in magic for extra turns - what could possibly go wrong with that in a tournament setting...  "Judge! it fell off the table/hit my deck box/didn't revolve 3 times in the air/is a two headed nickel!"

Things are getting weird.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 10:47:21 PM

The format is clearly being built with Theros in mind. Innistrad block and m13 are but an accidental fart in the wind. I will not miss Thragtusk, Bonfire, and a couple other of its greatest hits.
Aza
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 12, 2013, 08:39:07 PM

The format is clearly being built with Theros in mind. Innistrad block and m13 are but an accidental fart in the wind. I will not miss Thragtusk, Bonfire, and a couple other of its greatest hits.

You sound pretty optimistic that Wizard's got their shiz together. I do think they've come a long way in regards to the draft format (Pack Rats  awesome, for real), I hope they continue to keep things good. With the Constructed cards you mentioned though, I wonder how you feel about Boros Reck and Sphinx's Revelation.
schild
Administrator

Reply #48 on: May 12, 2013, 08:46:39 PM

Boros Reckoner and Sphinx's Revelation don't bother me.

Thragtusk bothers me. Big dumb creatures that allow people to play poorly are pretty much why I walked out on Standard this week. Just done with it. Which is fine, as Legacy is my jam.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:49:50 PM by schild »
Xilren's Twin

Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 03:44:38 AM

Boros Reckoner and Sphinx's Revelation don't bother me.
Thragtusk bothers me. Big dumb creatures that allow people to play poorly are pretty much why I walked out on Standard this week. Just done with it. Which is fine, as Legacy is my jam.

Snapcaster is my personal least favorite, especially when paired with Resto angel fun, and yeah i think i lot of people are looking forward to the next set rotation.  But i do have to say, whatever WotC is doing with standard it continues to bring out a bunch of new players.  Every FNM my son and I have been to in the past 2 months has had between 1-4 brand new players come.  Whether they stick with it, we shall see, but more players is fine.  Course the established folks pretty much pound them, but in a nice way with lots of helpful advice, introduction to rules and general good cheer, and the trade opportunities are a plus.  Due to said new players i can honestly say i beat an ultimated Ral Zarek at the prerelease, and managed to have a 100% match win percentage this past friday night.  Ohhhhh, I see.  I also steal candy from babies.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 07:38:42 AM

Restoration Angel shenanigans are obnoxious. Like, Wizards and the FutureFutureLeague did a terrible job with this last block in terms of "this seems reasonable." That something as natural as Boros Charm/Azorius Charm/Reckoner exists is a problem. Restoration Angel + anything with an ETB/LTB is dumb. Removing Doom Blade AND Go for the Throat was stupid. 

Standard has become more popular due to people liking the idea of playing big dumb creatures that hit eachother in the face.

FNM for about 7 months now, has been a constant streak of 4-0s and 3-0-1s for me (because I draw with a friend). One of the shops I go to changed the Friday Night Format from draft to standard because i'd gone infinite and banked positive on store credit.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: So it looks like im headed back to paper  
Jump to: