Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Dust 514 now open beta 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dust 514 now open beta  (Read 5581 times)
Terracotta Army

on: January 23, 2013, 04:55:16 AM

Dust 514 has now entered open beta and the NDA has dropped.

It's not bad, but it's not great [yet], the Eve integration is practically non-existent (Dust contracts can flip 50% of a low-sec faction warfare system, assuming it has 6 terrestrials, Eve pilots in faction warfare can respond to orbital strike requests from Dust mercs) and I can't see it ever being significantly meaningfull to Eve (until/unless it comes out on PC).

The Eve contracts are a bit of a joke right now (the defender can win by simply not accepting the contract, thus the match doesn't happen and the planet cannot flip - obviously non Eve players are unlikely to care about this and take a contract anyway!). Both attacker and defender put down 1 mil collateral for the contract with the winner getting 1.9 mil on completion (presumably the defender gets zip)

The real money prices went through the roof as soon as open beta started (up from ~50 arum to ~5k arum) with less than 24 hours notice for us in closed. But the good news is you really don't need the real money stuff [yet] unless you are truely terrible at FPS (to the tune of about 50 deaths per match).

Eve's skill system is used in Dust (with a lot of identical, but renamed skills) but on top of the passive skill gain there is also an active one (currently capped per day ~10 games, but this is still being worked on) so there is going to be a power imbalance between those that can play everyday and those that can't (boosters for both active and passive can be purchased for real money). I'm currently using just an active booster and I'm on about 1.3mil SP compared to the people starting yesterday with 500k sp.

No clones yet (which is good as I can't see Eve's clone system working in Dust without a massive price decrease) but, unless you are using blueprint items (of which there is only a small number) each death will cost you 1 of each item you were carrying (so buy stuff in bulk unless you are testing a new fit out).

Militia items require no skills to use but are the least powerful (think Civillian items in Eve) 99% of blueprint items are militia (there are a few exceptions).

There is currently no shared finances between the two games. Corps have a 'hidden' wallet division that Eve cannot currently access and Dust mercs cannot spend although they can donate (they _may_ be able to use it to pay for merc contracts, no idea haven't tried) and there is no ability to trade, contract or even sell unwanted salvage to NPC buy orders.

Chat channels are shared but voice chat between Eve and Dust requires the Dust player to purchase a consumable item for arum.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:51:06 AM by 5150 »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:38:07 AM

How big are the battles?
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:59:43 AM

24 x 24 I think. It's no planetside.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 01:35:49 AM

Just saw it come up as the main promoted item on Playstation Store, so came to this thread to find out what it was all about. Not convinced i should bother, but i imagine lots of randoms with no clue what Eve is are currently taking a look.
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 03:03:13 AM

How big are the battles?

16 v 16

Just saw it come up as the main promoted item on Playstation Store, so came to this thread to find out what it was all about. Not convinced i should bother, but i imagine lots of randoms with no clue what Eve is are currently taking a look.

In a blatant act of self promotion if anyone is thinking of trying Dust out here's my referal link. Details are light but I believe both of us get some shiny.

https://dust514.com/recruit/gDoaVJ/

Unless you are doing mercenary contracts (read: Eve faction warfare contracts issued by the NPC empires) then Eve doesn't really [need to] exist atm (beyond shared chat channels) as the instant battle games that 99.9% of people are playing are completely isolated and orbital strikes are provided by NPC's (that don't appear in Eve space over the planet).

So it's basically a F2P, FPS with persistent character progression where you play ~15 minute* 16 v 16 matches, in beta.

*This does vary slightly as ambush games can be over a lot faster, as can skirmish games if one team gets rolled off all the objectives.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:50:42 AM by 5150 »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 03:05:14 AM

Either it's 24 or 16 per size, that's a huge letdown. Wow, seriously. Hard to care, EVE or not. Unless they manage to pull out something unbelievable and unthinkable with the in-game economy which would be an absolute first for an FPS.

Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 03:54:02 AM

Either it's 24 or 16 per size, that's a huge letdown. Wow, seriously. Hard to care, EVE or not. Unless they manage to pull out something unbelievable and unthinkable with the in-game economy which would be an absolute first for an FPS.

Well bear in mind it's still beta but I don't recall seeing anything on larger match sizes (having said that I don't recall ever seeing a roadmap for Dust features)

The economies are currently unconnected. Apparently they are going to introduce this gradually and I think currently the smart money is on a huge tax on ISK transfers to Dust characters when it finally arrives.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:05:01 AM

It really does seem a step backwards for CCP if this is all there is. At the very least I was expecting something Planetside-ish, not Battlefield-ish.

EDIT: It's a F2P title for PS3 only, correct? Although that throws it up against all the other FPSs like CoD et al, the F2P angle might mean it can gain a following. But it certainly sounds pedestrian.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:07:07 AM by UnSub »

Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 06:05:37 AM

It's a F2P title for PS3 only, correct?

Yep, alot of [Eve] players are holding out for a PC version, I personally don't think CCP will be 'allowed' to give Dust any significant impact on Eve unless/until there's a PC version because there are just too many Eve subs to lose if they are powerless to intervene.

There was a 360 version planned but Microsoft won't let xbox games go outside their walled garden.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 03:35:40 PM

Passed through a solar system (in EVE) yesterday where there were 16 pilots and 230 infantry in the channel.  Listened to 5 minutes of "Anyone have a mic?" "I have a mic!" chatter, with some corp adverts and some "Now what do I do?" questions.  I asked "Who has a mic?" just as I jumped away through the gate; not sure if it appeared in their chat window.

EDIT:  As of last Friday they apparently had 600k beta accounts.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:37:50 PM by ajax34i »
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 04:48:45 AM

do?" questions.  I asked "Who has a mic?" just as I jumped away through the gate; not sure if it appeared in their chat window.

Yes it will, the question is how many people were looking smiley

The chat window in Dust has to be invoked and pops out from the right hand side of the screen, from that Windows the local channel then needs to be selected.

Personally I use that window long enough to form my squad and invite my corp mates (at which point squad voice chat kicks in and you dont need the window anymore)

If/when I need to co-ordinate with Eve pilots we'll all be on TS or whatever.......
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 10:57:30 PM

Just read @CCP_CmdrWang on Twitter saying that 24 v 24 is coming soon and that they want to get bigger than that
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 02:50:55 AM

Just read @CCP_CmdrWang on Twitter saying that 24 v 24 is coming soon and that they want to get bigger than that

*snicker*
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 06:34:01 AM

Given CCPs track record "Soon" means sometime next year, or two.

Hic sunt dracones.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 07:24:09 AM

About 30 minutes to download, and install the game.  About 15 minutes of playing before it was uninstalled.

I've no idea how anyone can play an FPS on a console.  Maybe there's some setting buried in a menu somewhere, but aiming with the thumbstick was slow, and not terribly accurate.  Movement felt even clunkier than the avatar stuff in Eve.  The UI actually managed to make Eve's UI look good by comparison.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 08:04:10 AM

About 30 minutes to download, and install the game.  About 15 minutes of playing before it was uninstalled.

I've no idea how anyone can play an FPS on a console.  Maybe there's some setting buried in a menu somewhere, but aiming with the thumbstick was slow, and not terribly accurate.  Movement felt even clunkier than the avatar stuff in Eve.  The UI actually managed to make Eve's UI look good by comparison.

All other points aside, are you aware it has keyboard/mouse support?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 08:20:45 AM

I gave it a few hours a couple months ago.  It lived up exactly to my expectactions, which was to say it was pretty terrible.  I was one-shotted over and over across three different maps.  I couldn't actually learn anything about the game because I was dropped into the center of action and never given a chance to play. 

I know it has been said to death, but I still don't understand what their thought process was in not offering a PC version.  Or for that matter, developing for the PC as the main platform. 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 08:40:06 AM

I heard a large Eve battle recently crashed all Dust Servers.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 11:31:52 AM

I, too, would like to replace my PC with a console with a keyboard and mouse.

Hic sunt dracones.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 02:47:18 PM

What Sir T said, basically.  I am aware there is keyboard/mouse support, but trying to juggle a wireless keyboard, and mouse while sitting on the couch probably isn't that much better than the clunky controller.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 05:12:05 AM

I gave it a few hours a couple months ago.  It lived up exactly to my expectactions, which was to say it was pretty terrible.  I was one-shotted over and over across three different maps.  I couldn't actually learn anything about the game because I was dropped into the center of action and never given a chance to play. 

I know it has been said to death, but I still don't understand what their thought process was in not offering a PC version.  Or for that matter, developing for the PC as the main platform. 

It's true that there is an increasing sniper problem in the instant action games as people realise there no real 'point' to trying to win and are just padding their k/d

I heard a large Eve battle recently crashed all Dust Servers.

Can't say I've noticed any fallout over this, pretty sure that Dust games are hosted on separate servers than Eve

What Sir T said, basically.  I am aware there is keyboard/mouse support, but trying to juggle a wireless keyboard, and mouse while sitting on the couch probably isn't that much better than the clunky controller.

Fair point, just wanted to check you knew it was an option
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Dust 514 now open beta  
Jump to: