Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Necro talk 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Necro talk  (Read 32305 times)
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 07:47:28 AM

Spec and abilities:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQAQNBmQDbkRrdvYzcjfPRI94ZXjXQPc/ucGVB3B

The skills that you choose in Spite and Death Magic are interchangeable, except maybe II and V in Death Magic. 

The job as I see it:  stay alive, cc, and collect bags.  Staying alive is important not just for selfish reasons, but also because you can be there to revive.  CC is to slow down and debuff targets, while making large groups scatter and/or run away.  Collect many many bags because you can hit so many targets at once. 

-Staff is for nearly all offensive operations.  The staff is like a torch when you're surrounded by zombies...for some reason people hesitate to cross the marks.  9 times out of 10 they set them off and will run back/away from you.  The staff is, like you say with ele, also perfect for keeping keep defenders away from the walls while your team gets the door down. 

-Dagger/Warhorn is for defense and running around.  Skill 5 gives a speed boost (I also switch out Corrosive Poison Cloud for Signet of the Locust if I have to run a good distance, but SOL is kind of useless in combat).  If you're outnumbered and need to run away, lay down some marks if you can, and switch to DW and hit 5, and runrunrun...you go faster and they go slower.  Another cool thing about the warhorn is that you can use Locust Swarm during a melee fight (the dagger autoattack is strong) and it's basically a DOT while you're standing near your target. 

-Healing/staying alive:  people want well of blood, but in all honesty, too bad.  The guardians and eles should be putting down the heals/fields, and Consume Conditions is what will keep you alive more efficiently.  I use Death Shroud when I'm about to die---this is why I use those last 10 points in Soul Reaping, with skill II making DS last longer.  Another great "oh shit" button is Plague.  For example, if I'm caught running alone by 5 or 10 people, I pop plague and they nearly always seem to scatter, before I even do any moves.  It's also great for big fights.  The only time I die while in Plague form is when there is heavy incoming AOE damage.  Finally, the best way to stay alive is to stick close to a good commander and follow directions (unless they tell you to put on well of blood :))

-Corrosive poison gas cloud:  I've tried the rest, and keep coming back to this.  Those debuffs are huge and it's a combo field.  Place it at a choke point when an enemy group is approaching, and place it on your group (which is hopefully stacked) during big fights.

-Epidemic:  This is the fun part.  Once I've got the gas cloud down, I hit Signet of Spite and then Epidemic, and then I sit back and watch the numbers fly.  Epidemic can be tricky because oftentimes my target will die before I can cast the spell, but when it works it's so worth it.

-Why a Power/Toughness build when you're inflicting conditions?  The conditions are there to tag targets.  Most people shed their conditions somehow, so I don't want to rely on that.  I like the power, maybe it's just psychological, but when I had a condition build it simply did not feel as effective.  This is the build that keeps me alive and helps me escape in situations where other builds/professions did not.

That's all I can think of for now.  I'm wondering, how is it that you're floundering?  Die too fast/often, or?  If I didn't answer your question above, maybe I can if I know where you need help specifically.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 07:50:16 AM

Also, for gear I get as much Invaders stuff as possible.  Rare is a fairly inexpensive Karma purchase, and they've made the exotic level cost less badges (plus some money).  Check the vendors in EB.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:46 AM

That's all I can think of for now.  I'm wondering, how is it that you're floundering?  Die too fast/often, or?  If I didn't answer your question above, maybe I can if I know where you need help specifically.

Floundering because I'm not sure I'm being as efficient as I should be, and because it's my least played of my 3 characters right now. Your write up helps tremendously, thank you.

The well of blood was something that confused me - coming from ele it doesn't seem very good, frankly, so I thought I needed it, but that's a good point about guardians and eles.

My necro is only 61 or 62 so far, but I've got plenty of badges and karma for gear once she hits 80.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 03:03:14 PM

Cool cool...give it a go and let me know how it works.  You'll know you're being efficient if you see that you are keeping people at bay (on walls and bridges especially) with marks, if you see a lot of numbers flying after epidemic, and if you stay alive after big fights, and if you collect them bags  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 01:08:32 PM

So been a few weeks since the patch.  I just so happened to have a build that got a massive buff and have been loving it.  Full rabid gear, terror build with staff, sceptor/dagger.   Pulling off a quad chain fear in a 1v1 makes me giggle

How are the other Necro's out their feeling?

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 03:09:01 PM

OP as usual  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  for real.  Between staff marks, plague and epidemic, my inventory fills up in about 10 minutes.  Survivability and damage for days....Necros are GW2's best kept secret.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 04:26:26 PM

OP as usual  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  for real.  Between staff marks, plague and epidemic, my inventory fills up in about 10 minutes.  Survivability and damage for days....Necros are GW2's best kept secret.

It's no secret.  They went on the chopping block the following day after the Terror patch.  I suspect they are being very careful with how they nerf them and that is why it hasn't happened yet.  Enjoy it while you can!

most often known as Drevik
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Necro talk  
Jump to: