Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:27:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: War Thunder 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 141528 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 10:09:00 AM

Funny how this works...first couple dozen matches I was pretty lost, just kind of learning how the game works (I am still fuzzy on a lot of it). Then something clicked. I am far more situationally aware now, I am very tough to shake once I am on your tail, and I am racking up kills and points in my bombers like a madman. Haven't topped the leaderboard in score yet, but have come 2nd about 10 times (there is always 1 guy in a super high tier plane that kicks the shit out of everyone, it seems). I am having a blast. It is a perfect change of pace from World of Tanks- dive in and get some crazy furball action instead of being patient and careful all the time  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 03:20:21 PM

The ability to bring multiple planes is really what makes this fun. There's no "fuck, I can't be out of position or take any risks" feeling, because the risk doesn't mean you're completely out of the game.

Not sure how I feel about the repair system, or it being hidden behind ~100 games per plane of free/instant repairs.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 03:46:21 PM

Is a joystick mandatory for this? I haven't had one in years and I'm not sure I can convince the wife I need one for some fly by night free to play.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 08:01:07 PM

Oops double post.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:03:55 PM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 08:03:36 PM

Don't use a joystick, they suck for aiming from what I hear.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 04:10:21 AM

Is a joystick mandatory for this? I haven't had one in years and I'm not sure I can convince the wife I need one for some fly by night free to play.

Unlike a certain other plane game, a mouse works just fine.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
WayAbvPar

Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 08:44:12 AM

I won the Internet last night. Was in a game vs a B-17, whom everyone wanted to kill. I spawned in my Beaufort and was bombing ground targets, and ignored him, figuring one of the Beaufighters or someone would take him out. Got shot down in my bomber, switched to my Hurricane (which has 6 rockets on it). When I spawned, the first thing I saw was the B-17 1.17 miles away! I got on his six and then hit him from below and behind...let all 6 rockets go from about 50 feet. He insta-popped and I rammed myself to death on his flaming wreckage  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Got Hercules and Balancer achievements, plus a giant gaming erection. Good times.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 09:09:56 AM

This game is massively fun. There are a few issues, such as a very odd menu/gui system and the inability to see the rank of planes in the sky, but I figure this stuff will be ironed out or someone will make a mod at some point.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 09:18:22 AM

Good point about the menu...it is like it came from a console port or something. It is especially noticeable when trying to add decals to planes. Having to back in and out of every menu is just mind-bogglingly stupid.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 22, 2013, 12:39:30 AM

There's a lot of issues including those you mentioned, what about attackers and bombers having the same symbol. But really the main issue at the moment is if the game crashes or you lose connection you are removed from the battle. According to my stats I've played 200 games but really 150 cause I crash and lose connection a lot, I hate that I can't rejoin battle albeit with one plane less.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #45 on: February 22, 2013, 04:59:09 PM

You still playing with a tethered blackberry from the back of Irish hillock, Blindside?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 23, 2013, 09:39:11 AM

Hehe, I moved out of the hillock and got myself a nice ol' patch in broadband central, I may have purchased a faulty network card though.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #47 on: February 25, 2013, 11:17:34 AM

So I think this game may be my new thing for a while. I played it all weekend, ignoring the x5 xp on WoT.

WayAbvPar

Reply #48 on: February 25, 2013, 07:09:15 PM

Good- learn all about it so you can teach me  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 05:59:11 AM

This is fun.

Not sure I'm sold on the mouse control thing. 3rd person view and mouse can get real wierd at times. The first person view on the plane I had though was so restricted that it was pretty useless. Still this is fun.

Going to try gamepad tonight. Tally ho.

f13 squadron?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 09:11:34 AM

Game is sorely missing a detailed stats page, yes I'm a stat whore.

WayAbvPar

Reply #51 on: February 27, 2013, 09:20:14 AM

Game is sorely missing a detailed stats page, yes I'm a stat whore.

I would love this. Yes, I am a stat whore, but I also like to use them to better understand game mechanics. Things are a bit out of whack now...most maps are ground strike, so taking out ground targets wins the game. However, the XP/lions gain for doing so pales in comparison to taking out aircraft. They need to balance that better. When someone takes the time to do the boring task of taking out 25+ ground targets, he/she should be commensurately rewarded. Instead the fighter jock who took his level 20 jet out and whacked n00bs in bi-planes gets top score.

WayAbvPar

Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 03:07:01 PM

Here's to hoping that getting greenlit on Steam will grow the playerbase enough to A) require a North American server, and b) give enough liquidity in the player pool to keep the matchmaker from putting tier 20 jets in with fucking reserve planes. Doesn't happen often, but god it sucks when it does.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 02, 2013, 12:39:50 PM

Something seems to have upped the player count. Last night I was down to about 10 seconds to get into a new match, and never had a tier inappropriate match. Wound up playing russians pretty often, but the ping really isn't bad.
WayAbvPar

Reply #54 on: March 05, 2013, 09:53:48 AM

Unlocked the Ki-61 (tier 5 Japanese fighter) last night. Just tried it out today...WOW. I love it. It is agile as hell and packs quite a punch. Flew it once and immediately bought the talisman for it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Engels, you are going to love it.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 05, 2013, 10:00:43 AM

Japanese fighters are nimble as fuck, but they bleed speed so badly in turns. SO BADLY.

I was trolling like hell with my brits last night. I need to upload a few pictures. But my favorite bit was a domination map starting with my Hurricane II. Rushed the enemy cap point. Put one midair rocket into a hurricane, two into a landed Spitfire, and the last three (hurricanes turn for shit, couldn't line up a good shot) on someone taking off from the initial cap, then zipped off at 500mph.

Dick move? Yes. But totally fucking worth it. <3
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 05, 2013, 12:30:56 PM

Man this game becomes a lot of fun when you have something with punch.

What's amusing is watching those players who tend to have half a clue waiting for the inevitable ground level furball to develop so they can swoop down for a quick kill. Kind of like a bunch of vultures. Then you have those players eyeing each other off waiting for the first one to make his dive before they commit.   Eventually you get greedy and dive on some noob checking your 6 the whole time hoping you aint being followed....and hoping you can exit the furball to regain altitude and speed for the next attempt.

Oh and fuck Beaufighters.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 05, 2013, 12:41:25 PM

Beaufighters are so trolly. Fast, over gunned, and turns like a goddamned bus. Every time I've died in mine has been to a friendly ramming me while I try to turn after my attack run. Some nimble fucker turns from under me far tighter and takes my wing right off.

The damned things never go down to gunfire. Dear lord do they take forever to drop with gunfire.

Also, MG damage mostly sucks and you will enjoy fighters whenever you get cannons. The exception to this are US and British planes with like 12 fucking MGs. The Hurricane 2 turns like a whale but has an absolutely silly number of shitty MGs on it. However, you cannot strafe a patrol boat enough to actually kill it.

I think my dislike of Japan right now is entirely that they can't respond to boom and zoom fighters. They'll win any clusterfuck turn fight, but the moment they try to engage they drop to stupidly low speeds and cannot possibly disengage. The Hurricane 1 and 2 also have this issue where if you get into a turning fight you'll wind up bleeding so much speed that you can't keep your nose level.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 05, 2013, 02:44:18 PM

Yeh the beaufighters are crazy, especially the Mk X. I've stopped playing British since I realised how amazing the Russian fighters are, the Yak 9-T and Yak-3 are awesome.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #59 on: March 05, 2013, 07:18:41 PM

Downloaded it. Pressed "play." Computer crashed so hard it rebooted into safe mode.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #60 on: March 06, 2013, 09:31:45 AM

LOL holy shit. Inauspicious. Hope you give it another try. It is really damned fun.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #61 on: March 06, 2013, 10:17:50 AM

Update video drivers? I think you'd really dig this one Aba. And of course, if there aren't enough -J- folks playing WT, ex-Chickens are welcome back into the fold  and our TS server for WT goodness.

WayAbvPar

Reply #62 on: March 06, 2013, 10:21:24 AM

There are few things as amusing as seeing one of your buddies on TS corkscrew his plane into the earth right in front of you  awesome, for real

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 11:41:24 AM

There are few things as amusing as seeing one of your buddies on TS corkscrew his plane into the earth right in front of you  awesome, for real

Looking behind you and watching the three planes trying to slip into your 6 all crash into each other? <3

At times, the furballs in this game make WoT players look elegant when trying to get out of their spawn.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 06, 2013, 01:58:59 PM

I had a match last night where I lost 3 out of 4 aircraft all by having people run into me, either friendly or enemy. It's a little overdone.

And still...fuck Beaufighters.

WayAbvPar

Reply #65 on: March 06, 2013, 03:09:33 PM

I yelled at a guy on my team for ramming me, only to have him insist I ran into him. Even though he hit me from behind.  headache

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #66 on: March 06, 2013, 07:18:03 PM

Turns out if was the sound. Got it fixed and playing with the tutorials.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 07, 2013, 08:45:41 AM

Learn to land in arcade mode from shitty angles. It's sadly required to play one of the modes and it's comical to see the number of crashes 45 seconds into the match.

Side note: finally out of my free repairs on some planes. Uh, I hope this isn't done yet. My spitfire's repairs: 20m. Okay! My beaufighter's: 6h. I was curious how dickish the repair timers would be to force you to use pay for repairs.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 07, 2013, 08:53:00 AM

Gack I haven't hit repair timers last night.

Don't cap airfields, let other suckers do it for you. Your just asking to get strafed doing that. I only land to get repairs.

I'm amazed by the sheer number of players who dive to the deck and can't wait to get into a turn fight. I was a shitty pilot on ww2ol but even I know better. Was racking up some nice kdr numbers last night.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #69 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:28 AM

Depends. If you're in a turn fighter, such as a spitfire, going to the deck deprives boom and zoom fighters of some of their advantage. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: War Thunder  
Jump to: