Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:52:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: War Thunder 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 141524 times)
Bungee
Terracotta Army

on: January 17, 2013, 05:18:29 AM

Kind of like what World of Warplanes should have been, another Russian developer has this in open beta now. Servers should be up for the same regions as WoT has them up afaik.

What I love about this game:
-Arcade mode
-mouse and keyboard control like Freelancer had

If you liked World of Tanks and like planes - you'll love this!

They also seem to be planning on incorporating ground and naval based player controlled units somewhere in the future. We'll see about that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niqAngrcO80

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:35:44 AM by Bungee »

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 05:57:41 AM

I downloaded it last night and it gave it a spin, did a couple tutorials and jumped into an arcade battle.  I like it so far, still have no clue about researching new planes and skilling up pilots but so far it seems like something I'll keep playing.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 06:24:24 AM

I really like this game.  Arcade mode is very playable with keyboard and mouse, it has proper damage modelling so there are no HP bars to whittle down & it doesn't force you to fly planes you hate to progress a la World of Tanks because you level up your nation rather than individual planes.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:15:09 AM

I like it so far, still have no clue about researching new planes and skilling up pilots but so far it seems like something I'll keep playing.

That may be because it's so different in that aspect to WoT.
1st difference: you don't research any plane, you research a new tier as a whole. So once you are tier 1, ALL tier 1 planes can be bought immediately, be it bombers or fighters and independent of what you achieved the unlock with.
2nd difference: when buying an additional "slot", what you actually do is buy another "crew". And that costs much more than the actual planes - at least in the beginning. So what you can do, is just move an existing crew into the new plane. Your crew will never unlearn flying the just swapped-out plane though and will keep all the XP for that plane.
3rd difference: All XP gathered in a battle/mission is moved to the overall XP needed to progress to the next tier. HOWEVER- this overall XP is split to individual crews based on how well you performed with the plane they were sitting in. You can see those XP values via mouse-over in the mission report screen.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 07:40:36 AM

Thanks, that helps.  Also I skipped around the video posted above and it cleared up some of the individual crew stuff and economics.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:05:00 AM

Who the hell are you people with no avatars?
You scare me.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:26:03 AM

I may get around to finding one in honor of my 10th anniversary on this site in June.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 03:15:35 AM

Something else about this game I just love especially when knowing the way WoT handles stuff like this:

You unlock camouflage and decals for your planes as you go along. While you can switch your camo literally on the fly, right before you hop into you plane, decals can be out all over the plane with complete freedom as to size and rotation. There are some pretty sweet looking planes out there.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:45:37 AM by Bungee »

Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:12:39 AM

I tried signing up this morning. The signup page only asks for a nickname, email, and CAPTCHA so I assume they must e-mail you a password. That e-mail did not arrive so after a half hour I went to the war thunder website and requested a password reset. If I make a address with random letters @ my provider it says the address is unknown. If I type in my real address it says it sent a reset e-mail but that e-mail also does not arrive. After another half hour I tried doing the reset through the yuplay site which also says it sends an e-mail but it also does not arrive. Any messages my provider thinks are spam get put into a special folder but the e-mails are not showing up in it either.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 11:44:41 AM

Yeah, their signup seems to be broken from time to time. Friend of mine had to wait a day from his first signup attempt until it worked properly. Worth the wait though!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:47:44 AM by Bungee »

Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 10:05:08 AM

Yeah, their signup seems to be broken from time to time. Friend of mine had to wait a day from his first signup attempt until it worked properly. Worth the wait though!
Still not working. Have requested a reset every day.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 11:03:16 AM

Still not working. Have requested a reset every day.

Sounds like a problem with your e-mail then, provider related or not. Don't you have some secondary e-mail address available?

Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 04:41:35 PM

Unless they have the provider black listed and lie every time they say have sent a reset e-mail I don't understand what the problem can be. I sent an e-mail Monday morning to one of the devs that posted an address on the boards but have not heard back. The post was in response to a person having the exact same problem I am.

They said when I signed up if I did not log in within 2 days the account would be deleted. That is a lie too because the e-mail address is still valid to type in for a reset and the nickname is still taken for trying to sign up with a different e-mail address.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 01:37:40 AM

Signed up last night, just played my first match. Gmail dumped their confirmation email into my spam folder. I like so far.

Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 08:48:21 AM

This morning my nickname was cleared and I signed up and got e-mail immediately. I used an e-mail address that is actually the same provider but but has different domain name. Provider gives these extra e-mail addresses to manage spammers or be unanimous because real address has part of real name in it.

Edit: Yes that should have been anonymous. I had the wrong spelling and then chose the wrong word from the suggested spellings.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:24:47 AM by Pendan »
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 02:17:07 PM

This morning my nickname was cleared and I signed up and got e-mail immediately. I used an e-mail address that is actually the same provider but but has different domain name. Provider gives these extra e-mail addresses to manage spammers or be unanimous because real address has part of real name in it.

Anonymous? (In before Trippy!)

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 03:31:53 PM

What, what?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 07:19:45 AM

I'll have to give this a try and see how it compares to another multiplayer air combat game I've been "playing". 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 07:25:00 AM

I don't much care about air combat games but I did become an alpha/beta tester for another flying game.  Then one day I took this out for a spin.  Since I created my WT account I haven't logged in to any other air combat game.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 07:44:23 AM

Does this game utilize rudder control sticks and is there sufficient speed bleed to avoid turning contests?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 08:13:18 AM

The flight models change based on which game type you pick (arcade is far less simmy, with regenerating ammo and other such things). My main complaint with this otherwise nice game is that matchmaking does not appear to be implemented yet. So there is a "reserve" tier where you fly rank 0 planes with other people in the same, and then there is "everything else" where your biplane gets to fight high altitude jet bombers.

If they fix that, it would make the game far more playable. But as is, I don't think they have the active playerbase to tier things properly yet. And without tiering things properly, they'll never get a very active playerbase.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 09:40:49 AM

If they fix that, it would make the game far more playable. But as is, I don't think they have the active playerbase to tier things properly yet. And without tiering things properly, they'll never get a very active playerbase.

This. Unless you get to play on the RU server, the matchmaking can be quite shaky. Granted, it's Beta and not a whole lot of people know about it yet in the EU and US server zones. Given the different play options (SP campaign, arcade, realistic, ...) I'd say they covered pretty much every potential customer out there so just like WoT, it'll pick up.

Does this game utilize rudder control sticks and is there sufficient speed bleed to avoid turning contests?

They (claim to) support everything from mouse+keyboard over gamepads to full-on joystick+rudder pedals+throttle control + headtracking setups. As for turning contests- while the flight model is very simple in arcade, you won't perform well at all if you don't play to the strengths of your planes.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:42:53 AM by Bungee »

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 02:41:00 PM

Gonna try this out. The videos look pretty sweet!
WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 09:10:21 AM

Downloaded this overnight. Been in the World of Warplanes beta for ages, but have never tried it (word of mouth has kept me from bothering). This sounds a bit more promising.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 10:30:09 AM

I need to give this a try.  I want to see how it compares to  NDA

The most difficult aspect of these flight games is that they struggle to find balance between sim and arcade.  If you get too arcade, you can dominate matches by exploiting problems with the flight physics.  If they are too sim, then the learning curve gets too steep for people to hop in and enjoy. 

-  Mark Twain
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 02:56:07 PM

The most difficult aspect of these flight games is that they struggle to find balance between sim and arcade.  If you get too arcade, you can dominate matches by exploiting problems with the flight physics.  If they are too sim, then the learning curve gets too steep for people to hop in and enjoy. 

Well I think they solved that quite well. If you're new to flight sims, just want a fast paced pew-pew dogfight - go arcade! Gathered some experience or are kind of a simhead? Jump into the Historical Battles and see what it's like aiming without the lead-indicator and being able to blow your own wings of by flying to fast. Still not enough? Go full on Realistic mode!

Best thing is: you get far more XP and credits in Historical Battles than in arcade ones so it actually pays off techtree-wise!

Did I mention that I love this game? It's awesome...

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 03:02:24 PM

Well I think they solved that quite well. If you're new to flight sims, just want a fast paced pew-pew dogfight - go arcade! Gathered some experience or are kind of a simhead? Jump into the Historical Battles and see what it's like aiming without the lead-indicator and being able to blow your own wings of by flying to fast. Still not enough? Go full on Realistic mode!

Best thing is: you get far more XP and credits in Historical Battles than in arcade ones so it actually pays off techtree-wise!

If this is true, then I really need to find the time to give this game a shot.

-  Mark Twain
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 05:04:30 PM

It's true, however most of the action is in arcade battles so you can wait a few minutes for a battle to pop and there is no respawn option in Historical or Realistic.  If you get shot down or crash you can stick around and watch the battles or jump out and queue for another battle, also there doesn't seem to be any locking so don't have to wait for a battle to end to fly the same plane again.
WayAbvPar

Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 08:53:12 AM

Played this for a couple of hours last night...had a blast. Worked my way up to a Hurricane and Blenheim on the Brit tree, and trained my pilot and gunners up a bit. Only got 1 game in with the Hurricane, but holy crap what a difference from the biplanes!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 08:59:05 AM

I keep playing a round or two. It has a lot of promise, the only real issue I have is with the matchmaking choices. Basically if it has a small pool of players, it would rather make a shit match than make people wait. I sort of get the idea, but I spent a lot of time in completely unwinnable matches.

I absolutely love the instant information with XP earning, and the bonus XP for shit like landing your engineless plane safely.
WayAbvPar

Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 10:00:51 AM

Does it allow grouping yet? Haven't gotten that far into all the options. That would help make battles a little more survivable.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 10:18:20 AM

Does it allow grouping yet? Haven't gotten that far into all the options. That would help make battles a little more survivable.

Squads are in, yes. I think you need to have a premium account to invite more than 2 people (or have more than 2 people?) to a squad.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 17, 2013, 06:26:28 AM

I've been playing this all week it's really cool, the arcade mode is fun especially with a squad. The initial curve was quite tricky for me, lost a lot of planes to stupid things like trying to land, stalling your engine etc.

Basic things that may help people starting out. These mainly apply to fighter class.

• Don't train gunner skills for single cockpit planes, these only affect turret gunners. Do train them a little bit to get the qualification boost, but not as much as I did.
  • Don't chase stragglers towards their spawn in the early stages of a match, if you see someone on other team doing this he's yours.
  • Watch out for the furball in the center of the map, only enter this when you know what you are doing.
  • Beaufighters mean business, do not play chicken with them !
  • Fly Beaufighters and play chicken with other people it's hilarious
  • If you are tailing a plane, be prepared to shut down your engine so you can finish him off. Only do this when losing energy won't leave you prone.
  • Landing: Right before the strip shut engine off and pull back hard to lose speed quickly, make sure you are at least under 300kmh preferably 250kmh before touchdown. When on the ground apply brakes and zig-zag.

Try these basic tactics starting out.

• Defend the base from bombers or defend the airstrip if it is taken.
  • If you see one of your team being tailed, get in there and help out.
  • Look for stragglers near your base and try get behind them.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:22:55 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 06:59:12 AM

• If you are tailing a plane, be prepared to shut down your engine so you can finish him off.
  • Landing:Right before the strip shut engine off and pull back hard to lose speed quickly, make sure you are at least under 300kmh preferably 250kmh before touchdown. When on the ground apply brakes and zig-zag.

Ad 1) Don't do this. Energy = win. Shutting down your engine makes you lose energy for no reason. If you are about to overshoot, pull up and trade speed for height and then drop down on your prey again. It's hardly ever worth it to lose all the energy for just a killshot. Also, use your flaps. When engaging in a dog fight, get the flaps down (press F) and get them up again when you try to gain speed.

Ad 2) Zig-zag in the air using your rudders to burn speed before hand. Works better than pulling up dramatically.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 07:48:11 AM

If it guarantees a kill then that's a reason right? But yeah I should have stated you should probably only use this when you are 1v1 or in a have to kill situation. Like a lot of things it's quite situational.

Weird, Ive tried zig zagging and pulling back, I find pulling back bleeds a lot more speed especially when the engine is off. A mixture of both would be optimal. Pulling back is a good starting point for beginners cause you still get to hold your line which can be tricky at first. Oh and don't do this at low speeds you will nosedive ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:01:09 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: War Thunder  
Jump to: