Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Teh ghey...is on its way 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Teh ghey...is on its way  (Read 33364 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 02:42:45 PM

They could have written the romances to be gender-neutral but that would have resulted with less authentic and interesting romances. Neither straight or gay players deserve boring gender-neutral romances. Gay relationships have different problems than straight relationships, men and women interact with each other differently. If they had the foresight to leave the dialogue gender-neutral, we wouldn't have ended up with romances like Corso's. Whether you him or not, his romance and dialogue is at least interesting.

I actually agree with you here, but the promise of a Corso-free world almost makes me wish we had the gender-neutral romances instead.  why so serious?  But then I think there wouldn't be the Doc romance either, and I'm back with ya.

God Save the Horn Players
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 03:09:25 PM

Let's not shit the thread up, k? No one gets to be spokesperson for all the whatever, unless you can prove you were elected as such.

And I would have preferred gender-neutral romances, not like any of the ones in ToR are that well written.
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 04:06:58 PM

People still care about this shit? Really?
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 04:08:55 PM

Part of me wants to be cynical and think that they're adding this in since it's not super complicated outside of some script writing and extra voice acting, knowing that it might cause enough controversy to get people looking at the game again.

Won't this be the first MMO with actual "canon" same-sex romance stuff?
Well, I'm not sure on other MMOs but off the top of my head....
http://www.wowhead.com/item=87530
Marcus galloped on his warhorse towards the remote building, bringing an almost imperceptible flush to one of the curvier guards as he passed.  He dismounted and handed his reins to the ever-present stablemaster, placing one hand on her shoulder before speaking.  "Kama, have you considered our last conversation?" Marcus asked, furrowing his eyebrows in mock seriousness.  

Kama rolled her eyes, her Pandaren markings exaggerating the movement.  "I doubt my life-mate would think much of it."

Marcus let out a bellowing laugh, looking over his shoulder as he walked away, "I'd still like to meet her one day!"

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=62935/kama-the-beast-tamer
Lesbian panda NPC mentioned casually in a throw-away line in a fluff item. There's also a few NPCs that might be, or might just be heterosexual life partners or something (Kinelory & Quae, for example) and the lesbian NE Sentinel in Dragonblight (but the flirtee in that one doesn't seem at all interested). There is also the pair of druids in Firelands but again that's possibly only supposed to be a bromance instead and the shippers are (of course) just taking it too far.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:15:32 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 07:58:58 PM

No.

As a gay male I don't just want copy-pasted relationships with the gender pronouns changed. I'm free to express that in a post and I'm certainly not going to change what I post to cater to you. Your only contribution to any thread I have read on F13 has been to stifle conversation. If you have a problem with my post, either elaborate on what you disagreed with in it or fuck off.
As a lesbian, I don't want copy-pasted romances, either, but I still disagree with most of what you said.  I won't elaborate here.  Nor do I want to stifle conversation.  But I will ask people to stop saying offensive shit, especially if it's stuff I'm inclined to rant at length about in a place it doesn't belong.

If you want my feelings, feel free to start a thread in politics where I'll be glad to eviscerate what you said.  This isn't the sub-forum for it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 06:52:44 PM

Lots of griping about the same sex romance in the game tonight.  From folks who knew there was going to be same sex romance in said game.  People are funny.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 08:35:34 PM

Surely they couldn't be trolls trolling.

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 09:36:23 PM

Lots of griping about the same sex romance in the game tonight.  From folks who knew there was going to be same sex romance in said game.  People are funny.

We were laughing in guild chat about all the "accidental gay" people were getting.  Since the flirt options aren't very straight forward in some parts.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #43 on: April 24, 2013, 01:59:20 AM

They could have written the romances to be gender-neutral but that would have resulted with less authentic and interesting romances. Neither straight or gay players deserve boring gender-neutral romances. Gay relationships have different problems than straight relationships, men and women interact with each other differently. If they had the foresight to leave the dialogue gender-neutral, we wouldn't have ended up with romances like Corso's. Whether you him or not, his romance and dialogue is at least interesting.

No to reopen a debate or anything, but I just wanted to add that there's nothing wrong with gender-neutral romances. Sure, I see "your" point and I see why it works for you. But you are enforcing and reinforcing the gender binary and well, sorry, some feel really uncomfortable with that. So my only polite invitation would be to, eventually, if possible, consider that there's more than gender stereotypes and "men and women interact with each other differently" out there.

Thanks  Heart

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 24, 2013, 04:19:37 PM

I think there is plenty of room to please everyone really. Some of the relationships already in the game could easily be gender-neutral, it's just nice to not restrict the writers to having to write every relationship as gender-neutral.

On-topic: I have not hit level cap or played the expansion, how did the SGR stuff turn out?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 05:59:07 PM

The main Republic chick is bisexual because God forbid a woman not be available to the men who also want to hump her. In fact, all the women I've seen with flirt options in the expansion are bisexual, wheras Mr. Empire Dude is not only the only dude ANYONE can flirt with that I've seen, he is gay, so female characters interested in dudes are shit out of luck on both sides. It's an imbalance I find bizarre. Both main people gay, or both bi, okay sure, but ... it is perplexing that straight women have zero people to flirt with in this expansion, but there are a bunch of bisexual ladies to flirt with (although I believe you only get kissyface with Main Republic Lady and Empire Man, so I assume those are the only ones people "count."). Even more frustrating, the gay dude gets shuffled offscreen halfway through the Makeb storyline, never to be seen again, while the Republic lady is there throughout, even allowing you one last chance to hit on her during the final conversation.

So basically, from this (narrow) angle, the expansion is fine if you're into ladies, really pretty obnoxious if you're not.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 06:07:34 PM

Also "romance" is a little excessive as a word to describe it; it is normal planet story level stuff rather than companion level stuff.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 08:52:52 PM

Yeah, the same sex romances have been pretty much a let down so far.  I was hoping my female SI would have some options with the woman that shows up with the gay Sith lord but nothing. Heartbreak  Since my highest female Republic toon is under level 20, I don't think I'll ever see it happen.  And I agree, it was kind of a cop out to make the female bi but the male gay only.  I guess that reflects our society where its much more ok for a woman to be bi than for a man.  I'm still pissed my male BH sent the Sith lord to his death so soon.  I was hoping to see how it progressed from just flirting and see if it went further.  It might have pissed Mako off, though, since we had just gotten married after we reached Makeb. awesome, for real
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 10:06:21 PM

So yeah, when you shuffled him off? You missed one (1) more conversation with him, then he goes away anyway, never to be seen again.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 25, 2013, 05:50:23 AM

I'm so glad I'm not playing.  I would have fumed over those 'options'.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Teh ghey...is on its way  
Jump to: