Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:27:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Al Jazeera buys Current TV, announces US channel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jazeera buys Current TV, announces US channel  (Read 14496 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

on: January 02, 2013, 05:05:29 PM

New York Times: Al Jazeera Acquires Current TV

Cue right-wing insanity.

Current will provide the pan-Arab news giant with something it has sought for years: a pathway into American living rooms. Current is available in about 60 million of the 100 million homes in the United States with cable or satellite service.

Rather than simply use Current to distribute its English-language channel, called Al Jazeera English and based in Doha, Qatar, Al Jazeera will create a new channel, called Al Jazeera America, based in New York. Roughly 60 percent of the programming will be produced in the United States, while the remaining 40 percent will come from Al Jazeera English.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 05:29:11 PM

Ahahahah, that owns.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:47:50 PM

Time Warner Cable already announced they would stop carrying Current TV due to this deal (their excuse is "removing channels with low ratings" which the ownership change allows them to do without paying a contract penalty).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:18:14 PM

Actually its interesting to see a different perspective  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? .  Although I doubt a lot of carriers will carry this channel and like Time Warner more than a few will drop it. 

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:40:31 PM

Tweet from a reporter I once worked with in Sydney, who now works for Al Jazeera English @ajecathturner:

To opponents of Al Jazeera cable deal: watching the news is a consumer choice. You control your remote. Land of the free, remember?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:26:21 AM

Time Warner Cable already announced they would stop carrying Current TV due to this deal (their excuse is "removing channels with low ratings" which the ownership change allows them to do without paying a contract penalty).

I very much enjoy AJ's coverage, but I can't help but think this will be universal and they're not going to get a whole lot for their purchase.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 07:45:56 AM

Fucking with big Arab money in this way kinda raises the hair on the back of my neck.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 07:54:55 AM

Fucking with big Arab money in this way kinda raises the hair on the back of my neck.

What?

beer geek.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 07:55:50 AM

I don't watch any news networks, so who cares. Now if AJ buys ESPN, it's time to start a crusade!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:06:50 AM

What?

I dunno, we're trying to screw them out of a lot of money (not that we dont already do that in many ways) along with taking away free speech privileges here.  You dont think that would piss 'em, their board, and their viewers off?
Big moves like this are essentially sabre-rattles at the corporate scale.  I'm saying I'd prefer not to sabre-rattle at the corporate scale.

Follow fundamentalist funding for more reasoning.

Either way it's a cockstab move and we shouldn't do it.  More deal particulars (of note, Al Gore is now $100m richer):

Al Jazeera did not disclose the purchase price, but people with direct knowledge of the deal pegged it at around $500 million, indicating a $100 million payout for Mr. Gore, who owned 20 percent of Current. Mr. Gore and his partners were eager to complete the deal by Dec. 31, lest it be subject to higher tax rates that took effect on Jan. 1, according to several people who insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. But the deal was not signed until Wednesday.

Uhh, why is this in 'serious business' btw?  This needs to be in politics.  

edit: More juiciness,
...Like this one from Glenn Beck: "Before Al-Jazeera bought Current TV, TheBlaze looked into buying it but we were rejected by progressive owners."
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:43:02 AM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:37 AM

What?

I dunno, we're trying to screw them out of a lot of money (not that we dont already do that in many ways) along with taking away free speech privileges here.  You dont think that would piss 'em, their board, and their viewers off?
Big moves like this are essentially sabre-rattles at the corporate scale.  I'm saying I'd prefer not to sabre-rattle at the corporate scale.

Either way it's a cockstab move and we shouldn't do it.  More deal particulars (of note, Al Gore is now $100m richer):

Al Jazeera did not disclose the purchase price, but people with direct knowledge of the deal pegged it at around $500 million, indicating a $100 million payout for Mr. Gore, who owned 20 percent of Current. Mr. Gore and his partners were eager to complete the deal by Dec. 31, lest it be subject to higher tax rates that took effect on Jan. 1, according to several people who insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. But the deal was not signed until Wednesday.

Uhh, why is this in 'serious business' btw?  This needs to be in politics.  

edit: More juiciness,
...Like this one from Glenn Beck: "Before Al-Jazeera bought Current TV, TheBlaze looked into buying it but we were rejected by progressive owners."

wut?

"We" aren't screwing with them.  Who the hell is "we"?  TWC made a business decision.  A cowardly one that may not work out the way they think but it's not to fuck with Arabs or whatever.  As for the 1st Amendment I'll just wait for one of the in-house lawyers to help you out.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 10:50:30 AM

This is going well.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 10:56:16 AM

What?

beer geek.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 11:28:57 AM

I'm surprised this wasn't immediately moved to Politics.   Ohhhhh, I see.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 11:49:59 AM

One media company buying another really doesn't strike me as political.

beer geek.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 11:55:03 AM

But they are turrrrrirrrrisssts.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 12:00:45 PM

But they are turrrrrirrrrisssts.

Oh, right. Of course, how silly of me.

beer geek.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 12:36:15 PM

I could care less because I'm perfectly capable of getting the news I need, but Major multinational  newsmedia conglomerates playing musical chairs with eachother is not political at all?   awesome, for real

That's like saying Murdoch has no agenda.

Regardless it's a blow to progressives who wanted better news.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 12:38:39 PM

Also Al Jazerah sounds an awful lot like Al Qaeda.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 12:39:15 PM

No more than Al Jolson or All State.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 12:41:13 PM

I could care less because I'm perfectly capable of getting the news I need, but Major multinational  newsmedia conglomerates playing musical chairs with eachother is not political at all?   awesome, for real

Most progressives I know watch AJ for news anyways.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 12:43:28 PM

I think you have some massive misconceptions about AJ.

You still haven't... really... explained at all who "we" is or anything else.

Seriously.... What the fuck are you babbling about?

beer geek.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 01:26:37 PM

No more than Al Jolson or All State.

You're in good hands with Al Jazeera.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 01:27:16 PM

I think you have some massive misconceptions about AJ.

You still haven't... really... explained at all who "we" is or anything else.

Seriously.... What the fuck are you babbling about?

You're supposed to guess.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 01:44:51 PM

Does anyone actually watch Current TV? So TWC goes 'great , ownership changed we can get out of paying fees for this shitty channel' and they're supposed to not do this because we might offend the Arabs? Because they like us so much already?

Watching the reaction of both the lunatic left and right to this will be more amusing than anything actually on Current TV right now.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 01:45:31 PM

No, but the conversation surrounding said acquisition was 100% going to be.   why so serious?
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 03:17:41 PM

Does anyone actually watch Current TV?

Yes.  And since you opened up with stupid, I'm going to assume the rest is too.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 07:47:13 PM

I only seem to have Current TV in SD so it looks like it straight out of the 80s.  A lot of the production value is pretty low from what I've seen.  They also have that dickhole Keith Olbermann
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 08:35:20 PM

Does anyone actually watch Current TV? So TWC goes 'great , ownership changed we can get out of paying fees for this shitty channel' and they're supposed to not do this because we might offend the Arabs? Because they like us so much already?
I think it's just nice timing for TWC. They get to ditch a low rating channel and get a bit of a right wing dogwhistle boon from it.

I like AJ's coverage. I actually find them more balanced than the slanted shit that passes for "news" on the U.S.-branded channels.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 04:41:17 AM

Tweet from a reporter I once worked with in Sydney, who now works for Al Jazeera English @ajecathturner:

To opponents of Al Jazeera cable deal: watching the news is a consumer choice. You control your remote. Land of the free, remember?

It's so cute when you ferigners think we mean that shit applies to anyone not-white.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 08:20:25 AM

Can you not tell the difference between literally and generally or did you just login to insult someone? I usually don't care but the inanity of this post bugs me.

Current TV's overall viewership failed to meet Nielsen's minimum reporting standard, which means that the network's average audience was not large enough to be rated
  (some Reuters article that took all of 30 seconds to find)

I know it won't fit into most people's conspiracy theories about the right and big business but if Al Jazeera or Current TV or whatever had decent ratings TWC would pimp the shit out of it if they could make money. Christ the channel could be called 'TWC is a bunch of fucktards' and if it was profitable they wouldn't fucking care. Big business is evil and only cares about the dollar remember? Or they only care about white people..I forget...

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 08:37:14 AM

What bothers me most is people who haven't watched AJ and immediately assume all sorts of stuff about it, when in fact its a professional institution on par with the BBC, doing journalism of quality the US hasn't delivered since the 70s.

I wouldn't be surprised if half the reason Current sucked was due to underfunding, the other half being Olberman. It'll be interesting if it thrives under AJ. My only worry is that commentators like TYT will now be lumped in with 'crazy arab people' in the popular mindset, simply due to the xenophobia of the average American viewer.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 11:52:00 AM

Can you not tell the difference between literally and generally or did you just login to insult someone? I usually don't care but the inanity of this post bugs me.

Current TV's overall viewership failed to meet Nielsen's minimum reporting standard, which means that the network's average audience was not large enough to be rated
  (some Reuters article that took all of 30 seconds to find)

I know it won't fit into most people's conspiracy theories about the right and big business but if Al Jazeera or Current TV or whatever had decent ratings TWC would pimp the shit out of it if they could make money. Christ the channel could be called 'TWC is a bunch of fucktards' and if it was profitable they wouldn't fucking care. Big business is evil and only cares about the dollar remember? Or they only care about white people..I forget...

TWC has no idea if AJ will make them money or not at this point but I would guess it's going to get higher ratings than Current did.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 12:04:44 PM

Quick, name the largest single investor in NewsCorp.  Hint: It's not Rupert Murdoch.  If Al Jazeera had named themselves 'Stuff we heard' and gotten some lilly white frontman, they wouldn't have a credibility problem with Americans.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 12:20:30 PM

- Viin
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Al Jazeera buys Current TV, announces US channel  
Jump to: