Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:46:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Al Jazeera buys Current TV, announces US channel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jazeera buys Current TV, announces US channel  (Read 14546 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 12:23:50 PM

Voting vs Financial.

Financial shareholder dude is some saudi prince, as I recall.

but.. still.. so?

beer geek.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 12:24:25 PM

One media company buying another really doesn't strike me as political.
How naïve.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 12:25:11 PM

Voting shares aren't the only kind.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 12:26:03 PM

One media company buying another really doesn't strike me as political.
How naïve.

Please explain.

beer geek.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 12:36:09 PM

No, but those are the shares that control the company.

- Viin
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 02:24:09 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 02:26:54 PM

1.) Murdoch family trust and Rupert Murdoch - 39.74pc (38.4pc plus 1.34pc owned by Mr Murdoch)

The Murdoch family controls nearly 40pc of the votes at News Corp, despite owning just 12pc of the company. This is because of its two-tier share structure. Only holders of News Corp 'B' shares are allowed to vote on proposals.
Murdoch owns only 1.34% directly, vs 7% for the saudi prince that has been bankrolling him since before he changed citizenship in order to build his US networks.

If a Saudi prince was the largest single shareholder in MSNBC, we would never hear the end of it.  Yet very few Fox viewers would have any idea about Newscorp.

--Dave
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:29:35 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 02:50:52 PM

What does this have to do with this case?

Yes, shit CAN have political implications especially involving regulation and monopolistic crap.. but we aren't talking about that sort of thing in this case. One media company buying another isn't necessarily inherently political, was my point.

beer geek.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 04:23:28 PM

It is indeed inherently political when in the end TWC will have to settle for a lesser per viewer fee to charge AJ-English after pretty much every other carrier already has a deal with AJ's new network AJ-America.  Everything I've read so far pretty much paints TWC as a laughing stock right now, especially with business.

Since TWC axed current and its channel intentionally AJ only really has a station and its staff right now, and nowhere to broadcast.  Had TWC simply smiled and took the "filthy brown Arab's" money you'd be watching AJ-English right now while AJ got their American network up and functional.

So yes, it's political.  And yah, dont be naive.

Do I really care?  No.  I don't even use Time Warner.  But it still makes an extremely large American conglomerate look bad and keeps a station everyone wants to see (AJ-English) in limbo.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/03/time-warner-cable-al-jazeera-america_n_2404879.html
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:34:03 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 04:24:23 PM

No, but those are the shares that control the company.

Do you think Rupert picks up when the prince calls?

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 05:13:17 PM

It is indeed inherently political when in the end TWC will have to settle for a lesser per viewer fee to charge AJ-English after pretty much every other carrier already has a deal with AJ's new network AJ-America.  Everything I've read so far pretty much paints TWC as a laughing stock right now, especially with business.

Since TWC axed current and its channel intentionally AJ only really has a station and its staff right now, and nowhere to broadcast.  Had TWC simply smiled and took the "filthy brown Arab's" money you'd be watching AJ-English right now while AJ got their American network up and functional.

So yes, it's political.  And yah, dont be naive.

Do I really care?  No.  I don't even use Time Warner.  But it still makes an extremely large American conglomerate look bad and keeps a station everyone wants to see (AJ-English) in limbo.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/03/time-warner-cable-al-jazeera-america_n_2404879.html

TWC's dicision to not carry it is indeed "politiical".

AJ buying CurrentTV is not. That is what I was referring to all the way back up there.

beer geek.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 05:31:40 PM

I only seem to have Current TV in SD so it looks like it straight out of the 80s.  A lot of the production value is pretty low from what I've seen.  They also have that dickhole Keith Olbermann
Wasn't Olberman shitcanned months ago?
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 05:39:52 PM

Way back in March.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 11:04:18 PM

Olbermann got fired for the umpteenth and likely final time. It was a combination of his well known tendency to be a complete prick who is nearly impossible to work with, and Current TV having literally public TV quality equipment and staff. The heating/cooling didn't work, feeds cut out suddenly, the set was cheap as shit even after he threw a fit and had it changed, the production was awful, and the lights went out during a live broadcast more than once (IIRC Keith actually had a candle brought out and continued on once, which pissed his bosses off). Keith likely expected too much going from MSNBC which is flush with money and the best production/technology/sets in the business (Fox is arguably the most cheap/chintzy looking news channel in the big 3) to a network that was barely surviving (and dropped what amounted to their whole year's production budget on his overpriced contract) but Current really was clownshoes.

Keith will likely never be hired to do political TV ever again. He has burned every single bridge he could burn, and even when some places built new ones he burnt those too and pissed on the ashes. He's toxic, and it looks like he's done with major political talk anyway since he seems to be happy just writing MLB blogs. Zucker apparently likes him still and he's taking over CNN, and I STILL don't think they'd feign to hire him despite how hilarious it would be to watch Erick Son of Erick respond to a guy everyone in the biz hates waltzing back in to a contract that'd likely dwarf his.

But anyway, fun fact: During the early part of the Iraq invasion/war Fox had the fewest field reporters of any news network over there, and one of their major ones (Geraldo) got kicked the fuck out of the country for giving away troop positions. To get their awesome war roll footage they had to buy it from other places...can you guess who they bought the bulk of that footage from? You get 3 guesses and the first two don't count.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:08:35 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 05, 2013, 06:27:43 AM

MrBloodworth?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 01:22:52 AM

Oh well played.  That was truly clever.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Al Jazeera buys Current TV, announces US channel  
Jump to: