Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:17:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Cheese Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cheese Thread  (Read 9801 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

on: December 16, 2012, 12:42:02 AM

Eh ?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:03:46 PM by Samwise »

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:58:25 AM

Young (aged less than 60 days) unpasteurized (raw milk) cheeses are illegal in the US.

Edit: which are common in France so you have to smuggle them into the US if you want to eat them here
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:01:41 AM by Trippy »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 01:08:10 AM

Odd.  Fair enough.

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:25:38 AM

Cheese in the USA is wierd though. I once brought a pot of Stilton over for some friends and they treated it like an unexplored landmine.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 05:15:11 AM

Because trying new foods is not common.  When you say 'cheese' to an American they typically think cheddar, velveeta, Americcan, Colby, pepper jack, or Swiss.  Even blue cheese is given the stink eye by a lot of us.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 05:35:40 AM

Those cheeses are illegal because French Brie killed a bunch of people back in the 80's because it wasn't pastuerized and hadn't aged enough for for whatever it was that was in it to die off. It's not like it's an unreasonable thing, anything here that should be pastuerized is usually required to be.

Also, they probably eyed the stilton because to anyone who doesn't like blue cheese it smells like a rotten ass and look even worse. People here usually sort out whether they like blue cheese or are disgusted by them by the time they're out of elementary school and it's not something you change about.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:10:57 AM

Cheese in the USA is wierd though. I once brought a pot of Stilton over for some friends and they treated it like an unexplored landmine.
Could have been worse: you could have taken some haggis with you.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 08:46:39 AM

Those cheeses are illegal because French Brie killed a bunch of people back in the 80's because it wasn't pastuerized and hadn't aged enough for for whatever it was that was in it to die off. It's not like it's an unreasonable thing, anything here that should be pastuerized is usually required to be.

Also, they probably eyed the stilton because to anyone who doesn't like blue cheese it smells like a rotten ass and look even worse. People here usually sort out whether they like blue cheese or are disgusted by them by the time they're out of elementary school and it's not something you change about.

No, we sort out bleu cheese by how much of it is in the ranch sauce we dip our buffalo wings in.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 09:20:50 AM

You guys should totally try blue cheese on gingerbread biscuits.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 09:20:58 AM

No, we sort out bleu cheese by how much of it is in the ranch sauce we dip our buffalo wings in.

You don't want to eat anything sauce-based with blue cheese in it. In high school I worked in a Bar & Grille and the cook and I used to play a game called "What can you put in blue cheese dressing that people won't notice". The answer is anything that doesn't crunch. The greasy dust-bunnies from under the grille, crushed up dead bugs, boogers, and the contents of more than a few tied-off used rubbers. This was also a place where the Owner fished uneaten pieces of steak out of bus trays and re-used them to make sirloin tips, stew/soup meat, etc. This was a pretty fancy place in Columbus too, and he was rich as fuck so it wasn't like he was barely keeping the doors open. He also had me working there under the table while I was in high school and wanted me to sell bottles to people at school for double price and spit the profits with him. Greedy fucker, like he wasn't already making a profit from the retail price.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:15:32 AM

Oh, I know all the gross stuff that can go in food that customers won't notice.

Not that I've... had any experience doing that, of course.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 11:31:01 AM

Why are there sawn-off and revolver weapons listed as automatic?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 11:34:21 AM

That chart is wrong on the cheese side as well. I have seen many of those cheeses available at Whole Foods, even the ones that are name-protected.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 12:21:23 PM

If you went to any other western nation such as Australia, New Zealand, the UK, etc, you'd find that we consider such cheeses a normal part of life, particularly Brie and Camembert. We make them locally, as well as importing some from France.

We don't die of them, and they're not some kind of rare French thing. You're in more danger from eating all that salami, etc.

It's sort of sad watching you talk about food.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 01:19:34 PM

If you went to any other western nation such as Australia, New Zealand, the UK, etc, you'd find that we consider such cheeses a normal part of life, particularly Brie and Camembert. We make them locally, as well as importing some from France.

We don't die of them, and they're not some kind of rare French thing. You're in more danger from eating all that salami, etc.

We still import them from France too. The ones we import just have to be made from pasteurized milk and/or aged 60 days. I forget if it's just one or both. It also doesn't matter where it's from, it's not like other country's cheeses are immune to that rule and we only enforce it against France. It's just that France makes the largest variety and largest ammount of cheeses that break that rule. So you can still buy any of those cheeses in the states as long as they comply with our regulations.

It's also not like the pasteurization requirement came out of thin air. Most of the time they're perfectly fine to eat however they're made. But in at least one instance a batch was bad enough to kill enough people that something had to be done. Same with milk. Same with fruit juices. Frankly, I'm glad all that shit has to be pasteurized. Drinking unpasteurized milk or juice is as fucking stupid as not getting vaccinated and comes from pretty much the same mindset.

As far as whatever you meant about "all that salami" being worse for us, I doubt there's anywhere near the bacteria count in a piece of salami as there is a glass of raw milk. If you just meant worse in general, it probably is. But whatever your country's diet considers normal you guys are almost as unhealthy as us - especially concerning heart disease. Now Japan, there's a country who's diet we should copy for healthy hearts. I wonder how much unpasteurized soft cheese they eat. It says something that a country that came up with natto and egg enema omlets turns it's nose at soft cheeses.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:22:33 PM by angry.bob »

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 01:26:23 PM

We still import them from France too. The ones we import just have to be made from pasteurized milk and/or aged 60 days. I forget if it's just one or both. It also doesn't matter where it's from, it's not like other country's cheeses are immune to that rule and we only enforce it against France. It's just that France makes the largest variety and largest ammount of cheeses that break that rule. So you can still buy any of those cheeses in the states as long as they comply with our regulations.

It's also not like the pasteurization requirement came out of thin air. Most of the time they're perfectly fine to eat however they're made. But in at least one instance a batch was bad enough to kill enough people that something had to be done. Same with milk. Same with fruit juices. Frankly, I'm glad all that shit has to be pasteurized. Drinking unpasteurized milk or juice is as fucking stupid as not getting vaccinated and comes from pretty much the same mindset.

As far as whatever you meant about "all that salami" being worse for us, I doubt there's anywhere near the bacteria count in a piece of salami as there is a glass of raw milk. If you just meant worse in general, it probably is. But whatever your country's diet considers normal you guys are almost as unhealthy as us - especially concerning heart disease. Now Japan, there's a country who's diet we should copy for healthy hearts. I wonder how much unpasteurized soft cheese they eat. It says something that a country that came up with natto and egg enema omlets turns it's nose at soft cheeses.
Cheese is rare as shit in Japan, and expensive.  Honestly though, I'll pass on the natto. chotto nai.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:29:23 PM by brellium »

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 01:35:54 PM

Your forum name would make an awesome soft cheese though...

"I'd like a half pound of the Brellium and a bag of the toasted crackers please!"

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 01:38:55 PM

But in at least one instance a batch was bad enough to kill enough people that something had to be done.

Not an attack against you, but oh the irony.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 01:46:07 PM

Yeah, I avoided that one too.  Seemed too on the nose.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 03:13:15 PM

Really? I put it in there almost on purpose. Probably because a batch of apple juce that killed a dozen dozen kids because a migrant worker put a gound apple in the bin was enough to get the FDA to enact broad regulations, but this latest thing won't cause anything to happen. We'll probably have to wait for someone to storm a mother/baby unit and kill three dozen fetuses in utero to get anything done.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 04:01:46 PM

Really? I put it in there almost on purpose. Probably because a batch of apple juce that killed a dozen dozen kids because a migrant worker put a gound apple in the bin was enough to get the FDA to enact broad regulations, but this latest thing won't cause anything to happen. We'll probably have to wait for someone to storm a mother/baby unit and kill three dozen fetuses in utero to get anything done.

And then, only because the pro-lifers got involved with the killing of fetuses. Hell, the two demographics eating themselves would probably open up a quantum singularity of stupid.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 04:02:20 PM

Much as I didn't want to be part of the first politics of cheese diversion raw milk (unpasteurized) cheeses are illegal to sell in Australia too. There's a number of food fans and cheese producers who get really angry about it. Our local cheeses are pretty good, but apparently there's some interesting flavors you just can't do.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 01:29:42 AM

And then, only because the pro-lifers got involved with the killing of fetuses. Hell, the two demographics eating themselves would probably open up a quantum singularity of stupid.

The only way to square that circle is to arm all foetuses.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 01:57:35 AM

Much as I didn't want to be part of the first politics of cheese diversion raw milk (unpasteurized) cheeses are illegal to sell in Australia too. There's a number of food fans and cheese producers who get really angry about it. Our local cheeses are pretty good, but apparently there's some interesting flavors you just can't do.

GUYS, I JUST DIDN'T KNOW.  STOP MAKING IT INTO AN ARGUMENT, I JUST DIDN'T KNOW.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 02:18:42 AM

Yeah, stop making baby Ironwood cry! You meanies!

*pulls Ironwood closer and gently strokes his head* There! There!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 02:33:45 AM

GUYS, I JUST DIDN'T KNOW.  STOP MAKING IT INTO AN ARGUMENT, I JUST DIDN'T KNOW.

YEAH WELL MAYBE YOU CAN EAT SOME UNPASTEURIZED CHEESE AND SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 04:42:17 AM

Your forum name would make an awesome soft cheese though...

"I'd like a half pound of the Brellium and a bag of the toasted crackers please!"

I, swear to god, shit you not, actually thought it was a cheese.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 01:37:47 PM

I came here to a fresh page 34 of the Awesome/Funny Political Pictures thread expecting awesome/funny political pictures.

I walk away disappointed.  Heartbreak

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 02:04:15 PM

We now have an official cheese thread.

why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 02:13:31 PM

I just didn't know....

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 02:30:49 PM

I typically eat rosemary or wasabi hardened goat cheese on peppered water crackers, with a dash of fruit spread on top to even out the taste.  It's pretty yum.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 02:50:24 PM

This is what brie is meant to look like

I'm pretty sure if you pasteurise it or let it get too old then it goes all stodgy.

And Ironwood agrees with me.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 03:05:34 PM

He hasn't disagreed with you explicitly, so I think that's a fair assumption.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 03:44:56 PM

I typically eat rosemary or wasabi hardened goat cheese on peppered water crackers, with a dash of fruit spread on top to even out the taste.  It's pretty yum.

Mozzarella and tomatoes with styrian pumpkin seed oil. Some brown bread to go with it. Perfect in summer.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 04:12:59 PM

I just didn't know....

Well next time you'll Google before asking a question on a board full of Geeks, won't you.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Cheese Thread  
Jump to: