Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:45:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Valve Steambox 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Valve Steambox  (Read 35130 times)
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: February 18, 2013, 10:42:00 AM

The content providers are the largely unbeatable obstacle in Apple's path. You can make wonderful hardware that no one will buy if they can't get the content they want on it for a reasonable price.

And I think the Wii proved the profitability of going for the super-casual gamer console market. After everyone went nuts over the Wii, bought one, and got tired of Wii Sports it became a debacle.

Pretty sure the Wii is still considered one of the most successful consoles of all time, not a debacle.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #71 on: February 18, 2013, 03:05:31 PM

If Wii was a debacle, Nintendo is only hoping to have 10 more such failures in a row.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: February 18, 2013, 05:58:48 PM

And I think the Wii proved the profitability of going for the super-casual gamer console market. After everyone went nuts over the Wii, bought one, and got tired of Wii Sports it became a debacle.

The console sales were growing thanks to Smash, Mario Kart and Wii Fit. Sure these were titles that came out in the first year and a half but it took a few years for overall sales to crater. The software library was stronger for casuals than insinuate by only claiming Wii Sports was a system seller that attracted them.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #73 on: February 19, 2013, 06:38:22 AM

The content providers are the largely unbeatable obstacle in Apple's path. You can make wonderful hardware that no one will buy if they can't get the content they want on it for a reasonable price.

Pretty sure the Wii is still considered one of the most successful consoles of all time, not a debacle.
It was successful for quite a while...for Nintendo. Notsomuch anyone else if their 3rd party support and title line up meant anything.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #74 on: February 19, 2013, 08:43:28 AM

The attach rate on the Wii was shit and it only really made money for Nintendo. Quick, name any successful third party Wii game in its entire life cycle.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #75 on: February 19, 2013, 08:49:15 AM

The attach rate on the Wii was shit and it only really made money for Nintendo. Quick, name any successful third party Wii game in its entire life cycle.

Just Dance?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #76 on: February 19, 2013, 09:33:36 AM

Also available on every other platform.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #77 on: February 19, 2013, 09:49:06 AM

Quick, name any developer outside of Nintendo that took the Wii seriously, even after it kicked Sony and MS' butt on sales numbers.

Wii had it's issues, people not taking it seriously being chief among them.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #78 on: February 19, 2013, 10:08:10 AM

Quick, name any developer outside of Nintendo that took the Wii seriously, even after it kicked Sony and MS' butt on sales numbers.

Wii had it's issues, people not taking it seriously being chief among them.

I absolutely agree. It's one of the biggest disappointments of the system. I thought it had huge potential but was pissed away by developers not giving a shit.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #79 on: February 19, 2013, 10:34:36 AM

Developers are myopic idiots mired in the past. Film at 11.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: February 19, 2013, 08:24:50 PM

Also available on every other platform.
That's only true for the later entries; the series made it's name on the Wii.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #81 on: February 20, 2013, 01:09:33 AM

Future console devs should thank their gods that the Wii existed - it provided a gateway for those not familiar with consoles to start paying with one.

You give someone who hasn't played video games in the last 10 years an Xbox controller and they'll look at you blankly, while a Wiimote is usable pretty much instantly.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #82 on: February 20, 2013, 01:32:05 AM

Huh. I found the wiimote to be terrible in the one game I tried while at a friend's place. I don't remember which game it was, but it was used to unlock some lock or something.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 02, 2013, 04:36:19 AM

Wii was a brave but limited idea but the kinect did it better.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #84 on: March 02, 2013, 05:14:25 AM

The following generation usually does.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 01:16:21 PM

Oh yes. The Kinect brought ridiculous hand-waving to a whole new level of ludicrous that the Wii could not even hope to compete with.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: March 07, 2013, 12:44:30 AM

The following generation usually does.

Not always true though, for example : popular music.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: March 07, 2013, 05:25:43 AM

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: May 20, 2013, 05:26:08 PM

I'm not against firing people for cause. Maybe they were given direction and totally failed.

The whole thing is great for some, but I think it's a minority of the workforce, which is why they try to hire those types of people. If anything, this indicates that either their system wasn't working, or their hiring process wasn't working.

There's an article at The Verge suggesting part of it was an internal competition between AR and VR, and Valve went with the software approach. Which probably makes good sense, they need to keep some degree of focus and they're not really a huge hardware company.

Allowing the employees who developed some of the tech the legal rights to it is quite a generous gift though.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: September 17, 2013, 03:48:11 AM

Gabe @ linuxcon

"Next week we're going to be rolling out more information about how we get there and what are the hardware opportunities we see for bringing Linux into the living room," Newell said.

I don't expect anything impressive. They don't have the money to compete with Sony / MS but they might be able to provide some focus for the PC hardware companies.

- Simond
schild
Administrator

Reply #90 on: September 17, 2013, 09:30:20 AM

I would say they probably DO have the money to compete with Microsoft / Sony since all they have to do is shove a PC in a box and make the OS itself STEAM. Microsoft AND Sony probably put more money into software / platform development than they do hardware. They still aren't anywhere near the quality of Steam and Valve already has the software covered (for the most part).
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #91 on: September 17, 2013, 05:27:40 PM

I'm trying to think of a way the Steambox really works without being tied to windows since pretty much every AAA title people want to play uses DirectX.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: September 17, 2013, 11:10:04 PM

Since games are going multi-platform and a lot of the graphics is probably handled by higher level libraries I would think it's pretty possible. It's not like games on Mac or PS4 are using directX. I assume they're using openGL but as long as it's not proprietary it should be possible to get it onto linux.

Indeed I think there is linux support for directX to some extent. Pretty sure Killing floor on linux offered me a selection of drivers including openGL and directX.

The driver was pretty spazzy though, which is always going to be a headache. But that's fixable, especially if they put some boundaries on what hardware constitutes a "steambox" and can convince Nvidia/ATI to take it seriously.

- Simond
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #93 on: September 18, 2013, 05:22:08 AM

Well, WINE kinda works but "kinda" is the operative word there.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #94 on: September 18, 2013, 10:50:55 AM

How can the industry get away from drivers/Directx/Open GL?  My acute lack of programming basics is obviously at the core of that question but it does seem like a problem that could be solved. 

I have never played WoW.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #95 on: September 18, 2013, 11:00:44 AM

Wine is terrible.  Not sure how it will improve.

Also, no one has invested a lot yet in Linux friendly controllers.  Be interesting to see what pops up (bluetooth LE) for this.  Think Valve is also building a controller set? 
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #96 on: September 18, 2013, 11:58:49 AM

How can the industry get away from drivers/Directx/Open GL?  My acute lack of programming basics is obviously at the core of that question but it does seem like a problem that could be solved.  
The *nix crowd can't even decide on a common audio stack.

OpenGL is fine; it's open source and is in very wide use since it's used for 3d by literally everything that doesn't run windows.

Video card drivers are a big thing however. Nvidia and AMD (ATi) drivers for Linux have swung wildly back and forth from "Pretty good!" to "Absolute unworkable shit" over the years.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: September 18, 2013, 03:59:24 PM

I know valve is doing some work on controllers, but not sure if that's supporting existing controllers better or doing something a bit more flashy and forward looking.

Wine is not really relevant, I don't think these games depend on the windows desktop API that much / at all.

- Simond
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:13 AM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #99 on: September 20, 2013, 11:38:04 AM

THREE BUTTONS ON THE CONTROLLER

HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: September 20, 2013, 12:24:35 PM

That, and maybe the Linux gaming revolution we've been waiting for.  A SteamOS that can replace Windows?  Bring it.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #101 on: September 20, 2013, 01:33:46 PM

Would certainly explain the diversity of software they have on the apps section.
schild
Administrator

Reply #102 on: September 20, 2013, 08:25:32 PM

GUYS

VALVE HAS 3 ANNOUNCEMENTS NEXT WEEK

HALF, LIFE, 3
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #103 on: September 22, 2013, 06:55:56 PM

Half Life 3 as a launch title for the Steambox that is due out December this year.

*EDIT: This is a guess, obviously.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: September 22, 2013, 07:01:54 PM

Just what I always wanted, Half Life 3 to be designed with a controller in mind.  ACK!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Valve Steambox  
Jump to: