Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:15:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Valve Steambox 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Valve Steambox  (Read 35148 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #105 on: September 22, 2013, 07:17:52 PM

Valve would be the last company I'd expect that to be a problem with - as such, I believe that even being a worry is totally unfounded.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #106 on: September 23, 2013, 04:41:36 AM

It would make sense for them to use Half Life 3 as a selling point for the Steam Box though.  Valve originally used Half Life 2 as a way to force everybody to install steam back in the day (back when I and everybody else I knew was very against this whole crazy 'no disk, digital download' thingy.  They only got away with it because HL2 was litterally the most hyped/expected game in history at that point, so valve had everybody by the balls.  I'm not sure if steam would have been the dominate success it is without them doing that (or at the very least, it would have taken them a lot longer to get to the point they're at now).

So, it would make sense for them to cash in on HL3 to give it a boost somehow.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #107 on: September 23, 2013, 08:56:16 AM

Yes, it sure would make sense. awesome, for real

Instead of HL3:

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #108 on: September 23, 2013, 10:23:22 AM

"You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!"

Huh.  Wonder if any current consoles enable this.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: September 23, 2013, 10:29:45 AM

I wonder how the latency is over wifi.
schild
Administrator

Reply #110 on: September 23, 2013, 10:33:48 AM

Deserves it's own thread.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #111 on: September 23, 2013, 11:45:49 AM

"You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!"

Huh.  Wonder if any current consoles enable this.

Sony's doing it in the other direction with PS4 -> Vita or VitaTV.

But I don't think either they or Microsoft have ever discussed streaming PC content to the console.
schild
Administrator

Reply #112 on: September 23, 2013, 12:12:25 PM

There's almost no way Microsoft would actually want to compete with Valve on the gaming front. Valve is loved. Microsoft is, ahem, boned.

End of the day, Valve gets to make all the plays here because no one really CAN compete with them. For Steam, and gaming in general, their coffers are basically bottomless at this point. Also they have the largest delivery platform for _actual_ games on the planet. They get to make all the plays, other people are off dicking around on another court.

Sony has their own ecosystem - but even Valve plays nicely with them. Maybe we'll see Sony TVs with built-in Steam TV some time in the future.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #113 on: September 24, 2013, 12:14:47 PM

I wonder how the latency is over wifi.

You've gotta think that being local it'll be orders of magnitude than that thing where you're streaming everything over your Internet connection (the name'll come to me right after I hit Post), and that thing was allegedly very close to playable.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Paroid
Terracotta Army

More Grief Titles Than Posts

Reply #114 on: September 24, 2013, 01:51:04 PM

I watched someone at work playing an FPS on OnLive a couple days ago. The latency didn't seem to be a big issue.

Wired lan delay is sub millisecond, so it shouldn't be an issue when you have 16 milliseconds to display the next frame. Wireless lan can have latencies around 5 or 10 milliseconds if there's some interference, but I don't see that as a problem as far as input goes. The real issue is how fast the video output can be compressed and decompressed. Given how easy it is to stream from your computer to a service like Twitch (And how many extra cores modern PCs have to do the encoding work), I think the most common problem you'll have is figuring out how to set your big screen into game mode to get it's signal latency down to something reasonable.

Oh, here is a reasonably recent article on TVs with some latency numbers: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57587317-221/game-mode-on-cnet-tests-tvs-for-input-lag/. Yep, it looks like the vast majority of the latency apparent to the user is going to come from that.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: September 24, 2013, 02:00:54 PM

Do Twitch and OnLive support 720p streaming?
Paroid
Terracotta Army

More Grief Titles Than Posts

Reply #116 on: September 24, 2013, 02:05:16 PM

I think Twitch is primarily 720p streaming. I didn't check the resolution when we were playing with OnLive, but I didn't notice any video compression artifacts on the big screen, so it was probably about that resolution, as I can definitely tell on Twitch when I'm viewing at 480p.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: September 24, 2013, 09:37:03 PM

Twitch can do 1080 or whatever the insane one is, it's just most streamers don't have the upload to actually stream that themselves.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: September 25, 2013, 02:02:33 AM

... does anyone actually want on-live though? Their library was small, their prices not that great and they'll always have some degree of latency / bandwidth issues. And from memory the other secret was they were bleeding money to offer that service.

I'd rather buy a console or HTPC Steambox. The streaming from PC is just a freeby and bonus for early adaptors when the library is thin.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:04:26 AM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: September 25, 2013, 02:49:31 AM

When they say that this will stream dirct to your TV, does this mean something like Chromecast or AppleTV? Because if so, I'm already sold; we're trying to eliminate all the wires at home because our TV is wall-mounted and wires are an eyesore. The lack of wireless streaming for the PS5 or Xbone is a real nuisance.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: September 25, 2013, 04:56:41 AM

They mean it will stream video from your main PC to the steambox. Unless you have some kind of wireless dongle thingy to stream from the steambox to your tv, you'll still need to plug the steambox into the tv.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Valve Steambox  
Jump to: