Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:15:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2013  (Read 93508 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #525 on: December 11, 2013, 02:57:23 PM

"On average" doesn't mean as much when you talk about superstar-level players. I think more than half of the deal will be OK, in part because I think the market value of players has taken a big jump up and we haven't caught up to it in our thinking.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #526 on: December 11, 2013, 03:43:11 PM

It still doesn't make financial sense to cut these deals, especially since this isn't the NFL.

Who honestly hasn't ended up regretting one of these mega contracts? I'm asking, because the examples of Arod, Zito, Howard, Pujols, Uggla, and others jump to mind.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: December 11, 2013, 03:58:08 PM

Bonds initial deal with the Giants was the biggest in history at the time IIRC, and that certainly worked out. Miguel Cabrera has I think 2 more years left on a 8 year, 150 million+ deal that has been a good value.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #528 on: December 12, 2013, 08:38:38 AM

How old was Miggy when he signed his deal though? Cabrera is just NOW 30, while Cano is 31. Giving Cabrera an 8-year deal makes sense because at the age he was when the deal was signed, he was already an All-Star and you could reasonably expect you'd get 7-8 good years out of him (barring injuries that you can't account for like collisions or hamstrings or such). Signing a guy at age 31 to a decade-long contract is just NUTS. You KNOW a player after the age of 30 is going to miss time or need time to rest. By the time the contract is over, you'll be lucky if the guy is still able to start, much less if he's still playing. It's one of the reasons the Yankees A-Rod deal was so bad this last time - he had already started to decline in production and there's no way he plays out all of that contract. If he won't sign a 5-year deal, MOVE ON - there are other players you can get for less money that might not be quite as big a splash, but will at least be productive.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #529 on: December 12, 2013, 08:47:32 AM

Yeah I think that's a key factor. Any deal that give you more than 2 years after a guy hits 35 seems like a downer to me. I don't have the numbers on it, but my gut says it's not favorable.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #530 on: December 12, 2013, 08:56:06 AM

Yeah I think that's a key factor. Any deal that give you more than 2 years after a guy hits 35 seems like a downer to me. I don't have the numbers on it, but my gut says it's not favorable.

I can certainly see it for guys that you consider "face of the franchise" types. The Derek Jeter's, Barry Bonds (FWIW), Pujols (if St. Louis had come through with money), etc. But a guy going to a new team at the age of 31? Not a chance.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #531 on: December 12, 2013, 09:02:35 AM

Yeah I mean the Braves paid Chipper Jones until he was 40. Did they get value out of it? I'd say yes, but they knew going in that he was going to be more of a leader from a clubhouse stance than a production guy. He had one AMAZING year at 36, and the rest was basically good. He was never a huge detriment. But his value was in getting guys on the same page in the clubhouse and coaching up the young guys at the plate.

WayAbvPar

Reply #532 on: December 12, 2013, 09:08:31 AM

Unless you develop young players and then sign then to extensions before they hit the market, you will have to pay top dollar for top talent. I am just relieved that the one who signed was the one with skill set that will age the best. Hamilton last year and Fielder the year before scared the shit out of me. Cano can transition to a DH/1B role when the time is right and still provide some value (although diminished, since a decent chunk of his value is the offensive production from a non-traditional offensive position).

Mostly I am just glad I don't have to watch abortions like Michael Morse and Raul Ibanez run after balls that a Pony Leaguer would have run down with ease. Although it sounds like they expect Corey Hart and Logan Morrison to play OF. Sigh. This FO loves power and hates defense, so they overpay for the former when they could be getting deals on the latter. No matter- everyone is getting fired in September anyway.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: December 12, 2013, 09:31:18 AM

I have to watch Morse instead.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hopefully Bochy handles him like he did Burrell.

WayAbvPar

Reply #534 on: December 12, 2013, 09:47:31 AM

At least he might be healthy enough to hit for you. He was bashed up most of the year and kept getting stuck back in the lineup before he was fully healed because Mariners. He will keep the ballpark nice and breezy with his swings, and occasionally make contact and knock a ball into the bay. He is also proficient at picking up batted balls after they roll to a stop and getting them back in to the infield. Eventually.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #535 on: December 30, 2013, 08:14:19 AM

One of my Twitter Followers put this together for Dan Uggla after my recent blog post idea.

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/Bravesmeme/view/16400362

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #536 on: January 01, 2014, 12:15:23 AM

You so mean.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #537 on: January 08, 2014, 12:48:20 PM

Glavine and Maddux made it so I'm happy.

Biggio didn't make it, but I don't really care. He'll get in next year.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #538 on: January 08, 2014, 01:51:31 PM

The big hurt made it too? nice.

I feel old as shit now since I grew up watching (and idolizing) Maddux.

And in other news...
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/08/the-indians-are-changing-their-primary-logo-from-chief-wahoo-to-the-block-c/related/

Indians changing primary logo to the block-C. No change to uniforms, Wahoo still on home cap, sleeves.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2013  
Jump to: