Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:13:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rocksmith 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocksmith  (Read 148659 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #280 on: November 06, 2014, 07:54:30 AM

I haven't learned any of the bass lines, I played a lot of Hendrix on guitar when I was a kid; then didn't play any until a couple years ago (skipping my bass period).

I'd say off the top of my head the later tracks with Billy Cox would probably be a bit less technical than Noel's stuff (Noel was a guitarist as well).
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #281 on: November 10, 2014, 10:38:23 PM

Holy shit, multiplayer is great. Finally got a second cable. And a second guitar. And then a stand that could hold four more...

We're sticking at three instruments for the time being. Trying to learn on the rhythm guitar track has given me loads of dexterity on the bass. I need to try playing it with a pick soon.

Just had a worthwhile family jam session. The kiddo was scared to play on the 12th fret on Godzilla. I showed her after, we had to take another go. Hendrix DLC is a bit out of our league at the moment, but I'll probably still buy it for later.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: December 16, 2014, 04:37:14 PM

So does anyone have a recommendation for an entry level bass guitar? Nevermind the guy at the guitar store set me up with an Ibanez Mikro Bass small enough for my daughter to somewhat handle yet still big enough for me to play, plus other than the chrome plastic knobs it seems fairly well made.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:39:11 PM by Salamok »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: December 17, 2014, 08:16:15 AM

I need to pick up something like that. Unless I really want to dedicate myself to the bass again (by that I mean a return to 8 hrs/day avg rehearsal), I need a shorter scale due to my stubby fingers. I kerpwn the bass stuff in Rocksmith but even easy lines wear my hand out, especially since the guy who transcribed it likes to do things the hard way :p I normally play with my fingers, but the other night I was playing Holy Diver with a pick and it's just so perfect with that punchy tone.

I have to get my hermit buddy over to play on the big screen with my buttload of DLC.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: December 18, 2014, 11:58:59 AM

Lots of Rocksmith songs 50% off for the holiday sale.

Song packs are also on sale, but only 25% and it's cheaper to buy all the individual songs in them instead.  swamp poop

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: December 24, 2014, 07:19:56 PM

Got this for Christmas with the intent of learning to play from scratch. As this thread is showing a bit of age, can anyone recommend a good inexpensive guitar to pair this with for beginners of the current generation?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #286 on: December 24, 2014, 08:46:26 PM

Epiphone Les Paul Special II

That's what I bought a few years ago when I was getting back into playing. Suprisingly good guitar for the price.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #287 on: December 24, 2014, 08:52:58 PM

The Fender Squier is also a good, cheap model.

Or at least it was the last time I knew anything about guitars.  Someone else can correct me if that's changed in the last few years.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #288 on: December 25, 2014, 03:58:55 PM

No, you're right. Fender makes a Squier model that's about the same price and is a decent guitar as well.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: December 25, 2014, 05:00:22 PM

A good Epi or Squier is better than a bum Gibson or Fender. I've played $300 guitars that play better than $2000 guitars.

Might also want to ask to have it set up. Some shops will just put them on the wall, a good shop will have the local setup guy come in and go over the stock every now and again.

I've been playing a bit more lately, though my DLC list is getting a bit unwieldy these days...I'm getting lazy to where if it's not in E Standard I just skip over it...dammit Mastodon! Though I did finally splurge on a decent little Snark headstock tuner which helps a lot. Rocksmith is a bit cavalier about tuning.

Though the amount of 'Miss' when I clearly hit a note is silly. At some point I might just turn off learning modes and have it throw the 100% notes at me. And then laugh at trying to learn a Megadeth solo with their shoddy guitar hero 'tablature'. :p
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 05:03:51 PM by Sky »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #290 on: December 25, 2014, 07:57:08 PM

Yeah, I bought a $99 Laguna for my daughter that I enjoy playing far more than the $200 retail guitar I picked-up at a garage sale. I'm starting to believe the real players who say just find something that works for you.  (wish I could find a short-neck that also was also wide enough my stubby-ass fingers wouldn't hit two strings when going for one.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: December 26, 2014, 10:48:23 AM

Thank you all for the info. I went with the Fender Squier. Geronimo!  awesome, for real

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: December 26, 2014, 08:42:04 PM

Nice! Have fun and remember it takes a long time to get good. The nice thing about Rocksmith is that you can have fun while learning, though you'll eventually need to do some real learnin' to supplement the bits it gives you. Ask me here when you're ready and I'll post my instruction book recommendations (or go back through the thread if you prefer, I've posted them a few times).
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: December 26, 2014, 09:58:49 PM

Learning guitar is HARD!  Who woulda thunk it?  I've never played guitar at all, and this was my first day of practice.  I actually did a lot better than I thought I'd do.  It's tough trying to keep your left and right hands somewhat coordinated.  Does the unholy pain in your wrist from strangling the neck eventually go away?

In any case, I can't say I'm having "fun" quite like I did in guitar hero, but it is really encouraging seeing even minor improvements come quickly and I'm definitely still engaged.  Awesome tool so far!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #294 on: December 27, 2014, 12:23:12 AM

The wrist pain should go away but it'll transfer to your fingers awesome, for real
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #295 on: December 27, 2014, 08:57:20 AM

The fun gets there, Gulp. Especially as you start to teach yourself a song, only to have it level-up and become a whole new exercise in "wtf how am I supposed to transition from fret 12 to fret 7 THAT FAST. I'll never do that." and "Wait.. 21? Where the fuck is 21.. I've never gone below 12.. aaaahhh"

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: December 27, 2014, 09:07:06 AM

I've been playing for 30 years now  why so serious? DRILLING AND MANLINESS

My fingers still get sore if I don't practice enough...daily. Even then, I mostly play nylon strings so the electric guitar's wires will still make 'em sore. But you'll build some base callus that will prevent most real damage. I played a show on bass when I had only been playing guitar, maybe 2005 or 6, so my right hand calluses were gone...ended up going through blister - pop - blood - wounds. Felt bad for bleeding all over that kid's bass. It was an awesome show. I then played guitar for an hour, and drums for an encore set :p I don't feel the pain until the adrenaline buzz of playing is gone.

I still have to struggle to remember where the 21st fret is. The trick is to remember the fret markers are on the odd frets. I always remember 15 and 17, so I just pop up two markers from 17. Since I have a 22 fret guitar you think I'd remember it's the last marker.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: December 27, 2014, 09:09:39 AM

Also, for the newbs: the 12th fret is the same as teh open string but one octave higher. The high frets aren't new stuff to learn, just the 0-12 fretboard repeated.

Getting over the B string tuning difference is a big early obstacle, too. It's why I'm a big fan of learning the CAGED system asap, then the fretboard makes a lot more sense.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: December 27, 2014, 01:14:26 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: December 27, 2014, 09:43:51 PM

Hulk Rock

That was my reaction to learning CAGED after I'd been playing for 20 years or so.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: December 28, 2014, 05:25:44 PM

Broke down and snagged two of the packs I wanted that didn't go on sale (and probably won't for a while). Wind Cries Mary transcription is off, Hendrix plays it thumb over neck.

I highly recommend everyone grab a clip-on tuner, Rocksmith's tuner is a bit, um, loose. I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/Snark-SN-5-Tuner-Guitar-Violin/dp/B004XNK7AI
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: December 30, 2014, 11:17:11 PM

Spent the evening tackling some of the session mode challenges after chilling out to some [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjZXmJJc2Gs]All Them Witches[/url]. Beat up my fingers pretty good, decent chance of blister on each one...I just get in the zone when improvising and changing up the challenge every ten minutes or so keeps it pretty fresh. Tough to sustain any real repeating melody kind of thing, but great for just running scales and trying out melodies over different stuff.

Also, ouch. Going from nylon to 11s with a thicker G because I always broke them, now I just detune them after a while.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: February 05, 2015, 01:21:31 PM

Every Rose Has It's Motherfuckin' Thorn, Bitches!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #303 on: February 10, 2015, 01:55:13 PM

I picked up Rocksmith during some sale a while back (maybe it was the last summer sale?) and finally fired it up last night.  I'm pretty impressed.  How long does it take to get over the fact that the view is upside-down compared to tablature, and once your brain finishes rewiring (which I assume will only take a week or so) are you still able to read tab?

(edit) I went to the start of the thread to see if this was covered.

Game default is flipped, the idea bring you are seeing the fretboard as if it was transparent. Fortunately there is a setting to flip it for people that can read tablature.

Oh thank Christ, doing that before I confuse myself any more.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:57:09 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #304 on: February 10, 2015, 02:49:56 PM

I suppose that didn't bother me so much because I primarily use Rocksmith for bass, but I also treat it like a suped-up Guitar Hero which makes sense to my brain.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #305 on: February 10, 2015, 03:10:53 PM

That mapping would help me more (I do have pretty good Guitar Hero muscle memory) if it weren't sideways with the colors going vertical instead of horizontal.  I think.  I suspect that once I flip it into tab orientation that set of instincts will take over and it'll get 1000% easier.  Right now I'm having to actively fight the muscle memory that tells me where my fingers go.  

It's especially bad when chord shapes come up, because I see the name of the chord and my fingers automatically make the shape, then I see what looks like tab and my fingers say "oh, this is some funny variation" and they move to THAT, and then my brain arrives and says "no, fingers, this isn't tab" and then starts trying to invert what the screen is showing to show the fingers that it's the same chord shape they were doing the first time, but by that point it's too late and everyone is just angry at each other.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #306 on: February 10, 2015, 04:17:01 PM

Where in the settings is the tab orientation thing?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #307 on: February 10, 2015, 04:24:45 PM

It's been a while but I believe it's the "Invert" strings option.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: February 10, 2015, 07:23:00 PM

Yes, absolutely flip it. It's stupid the default way. And I believe I've ragged on about the need for an 'advanced' tablature mode. With just, you know, tablature.

There are some pretty simple songs I can't play because of how they weirdly break up chord arpeggiation in an almost unreadable way; in tab I can see it's just a C chord or whatever. Respect people who can read, ffs.

I know I bitch about that a lot, but it's really what is holding the game back from being as close to perfect as it can get with the technology (I'll give it a pass for not understanding why I bend notes or my guitar going sharp because I clamp the fretboard like a robstah craw).

Wait, they also need to number the note EVERY TIME. Stop showing me every now and again when you feel like it. Just put the number in the box, ffs. Or do tabs. Blah, I love this game so much until these things make me GRR.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:24:47 PM by Sky »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #309 on: February 11, 2015, 12:49:04 AM

I'm doing much better with strings inverted, but I can see what Sky means about wanting to just have tablature.

The DLC is quite a racket -- $3 per song, seriously?  I'll probably still buy a bunch because I'm a sucker.  And they know it.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #310 on: February 11, 2015, 06:45:07 AM

Buy the packs as they're a better deal since they're usually 5 songs for $12. Not much of a deal but it's there. They haven't gotten me for single songs yet and I haven't cared enough about some of the more recent packs.

I think other than the RS1 songs I've only picked-up Muse, Iron Maiden, Smashing Pumpkins and Tom Petty.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #311 on: February 11, 2015, 07:14:27 AM

I'll admit that I'm not very good to begin with, but the Tom Petty bass lines kicked my ass a lot more than I was expecting.  REM is a ton of fun on bass, too.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #312 on: February 11, 2015, 11:00:54 AM

If you are looking for more songs, find the stuff on using custom songs created by people. I probably have close to 200 songs in my library that were free customs. Not all of them are good translations, mind you, and some fuck up things like the effects on the guitar itself, but it's still a good way to branch out without paying those silly prices for DLC.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: February 11, 2015, 08:42:55 PM

Steam sales are your friend for picking up tunes. But oddly it's better buying them individually when they are on sale, as the packs get less of a discount and end up costing more than the individual songs.

I'm a sucker for the DLC but as long as they keep allowing me to migrate it forward I'm ok with that. I like having a big library of relevant stuff when I play the random thing. There are so many great tunes in DLC, but Maiden is my favorite (and I was ever so briefly in the top 10 for The Trooper bassline in Master mode!). Good Enough is my favorite Tom Petty and fun to play.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #314 on: December 21, 2015, 11:49:51 PM

Stone Temple Pilots six pack this week. Apparently this was scheduled before Scott Weiland passed away, which they made clear because they didn't want to come off as trying to cash in on his death. I've never been a huge STP fan, but sometimes I forget how many of their songs I really like, to the point where there's a six pack of good songs and yet I look at and think "those are all good songs but I wish Trippin’ On A Hole In A Paper Heart, and Big Bang Baby were in there". However we do get:

Big Empty
Creep
Interstate Love Song
Plush
Sex Type Thing
Wicked Garden
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rocksmith  
Jump to: