Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rocksmith 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocksmith  (Read 148652 times)
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 06:45:19 AM

The Bass expansion comes bundled after the European release. The retail box mentions it if you're unsure.

That's blowing my mind right now, because I get the exact opposite picture.  Something to do with the flipping you mention in your alter post?

I flipped the strings the first time I ran the game out of the default setting before I even unlocked any of the minigames.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 01:24:14 PM

This thread is fucking hot!  (fingers and stuff!!!)  I hope my nephews like it as much you guys seem to.  The bass expansion is a must have for one of my nephews as that was his first and most loved instrument.  His dad was a professional bassist in a previous life so it runs in the family.  Maybe he'd like this game, too!  

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 01:56:49 PM

Bought this last week, man it gets tough alright, pretty fun. I'm doing gig in a few weeks and we're covering Gary Clark Bright Lights which is part of the DLC package, although I have to say his album version is nowhere near as tasty as the live version.. I'm especially liking the riff mastery and the leveler/accelerometer for going over tunes part by part, with a fine toothcomb.

My only gripe is the lack of incentives to level up outside of just plain wanting to learn the songs, it would have been nice to have a real game under the hood.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 09:34:55 AM

They need to ditch all versions of this game and focus on bringing iPhone/Android versions to market, figure out some little universal phone->guitar mount and the ability to use the headphone jack as a lineout to a real amp.  I paid $130 for a pod I never use and an Android version of this game with a little tweaking would do everything the pod does +more.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 01:53:52 PM

They need to ditch all versions of this game and focus on bringing iPhone/Android versions to market, figure out some little universal phone->guitar mount and the ability to use the headphone jack as a lineout to a real amp.  I paid $130 for a pod I never use and an Android version of this game with a little tweaking would do everything the pod does +more.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig/
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 05:20:37 PM

Wow, what cool looking toys. Finally something I can tell my wife I'd like for the holiday... You've made her very happy.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 06:08:23 AM

http://theherofeed.com/5087/rocksmith-gets-funky-next-week/

I have nothing against Funk, but these songs are at the bottom of my list of DLC to get. Ok, yeah, it's "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer in disguise, but still.

Last year there was a free Christmas DLC, iirc. Where can I grab that instead?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:14:49 AM by Gets »
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 06:53:20 AM

Not much in the way of guitar in those tunes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:56:33 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 09:45:55 AM

http://theherofeed.com/5087/rocksmith-gets-funky-next-week/

I have nothing against Funk, but these songs are at the bottom of my list of DLC to get. Ok, yeah, it's "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer in disguise, but still.

Last year there was a free Christmas DLC, iirc. Where can I grab that instead?

They've got like 3 free rock holiday tunes you can DL but you've got to dig for em on your console physically as I dont believe they show up on the website.
I was hoping they were classical versions of the songs but they are indeed very rock and require accompaniment so don't bother if you intend to play xmas solos in front of the family.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 09:58:11 AM

Not much in the way of guitar in those tunes.
It's good to learn funk rhythms on guitar...and the bass lines, wooohooo!

Be careful on Xmas tunes. Some of those chords get gnarly...

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 10:43:09 AM

[...]console[...]

There's that dreaded word I was afraid to hear.

Playing all the songs Rocksmith recommends right now on ez-mode since that's the most fun. Looking for a new "go to" song to master though since I did "Next Girl" to 100k already. I was considering "Someone Like You" by Kings of Leon, but found it too difficult for my goddamn spring-loaded pinky to grasp.

Completely guesstimating here, but who thinks the holidays are the only reasonable chance to see a sale on DLC songs? All copyright rigmarole considered.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 01:46:53 PM

I'm hoping it's a day after xmas sale, since I won't have it until then (one way or another).

(I'm gonna find ya)

(I'm gonna gitcha gitcha gitcha gitcha)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 07:18:50 PM

My 10yr old brother had his electric guitar phase last year.  He put it down (gets bored easy) somewhat due to cost of lessons.  So... I just got him this for his b-day.   Aaaaand now he's all gung-ho about guitar again.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 01, 2012, 03:05:55 AM

It's good to learn funk rhythms on guitar...and the bass lines, wooohooo!

I'm fairly ok with the rhythm though I tend to over rely on the wahwah, I've been looking to learn some different funky chord shapes.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 08:08:03 AM

Rick James and Chic but no James Brown? Criminal. Or even Sly or Curtis Mayfield. But James IS funk.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 01, 2012, 09:01:08 AM

Meh.  Show me some Parliament, Sly, Isley, Kool and the Gang, etc.  2nd gen. funk.  P-Funk for life baby!  And Tower of Power for the jazz band geeks.  This stuff is so much fun to play!  Shit, now I want an electric guitar.    swamp poop

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 01, 2012, 11:26:52 AM

The omission of James on funk week is just as criminal as the total ommision of any Jimi in the first place. There I said it undecided

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 01, 2012, 03:02:58 PM

Playing Hendrix's rhythms would be brutal. I think his leads are ok, but his rhythms are phenomenal.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 01, 2012, 04:02:49 PM

Depends on the songs, tunes like Red House or Little Wing would have been fairly ok and then Hey Joe could be the easy mode Jimi, maybe I'm wrong but I reckon most beginners could manage that after a week or two. Just rule out songs where he thumbs the e-string the whole way through.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 01, 2012, 04:03:47 PM

Wind Cries Mary makes me cry at my wee stubby hands.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 13, 2012, 09:39:29 AM

Can I lose RSP over time? I was level 4 and a Steam achievement can prove this, but I'm back at 3 now. Might because I switched PCs.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 13, 2012, 01:23:49 PM

Wind Cries Mary makes me cry at my wee stubby hands.

Damn right, I have normal sized meathooks & it causes me issues. On the upside I'm convinced people with smaller hands have more propensity for 'fast twitch' muscle, which should return greater speed over the fretboard. This is based around a bass player I used to play with who had tiny hands and Yngwee Malmsteen who also famously has short stubbies.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 13, 2012, 01:42:44 PM

One of the last songs I wrote on bass was like a

__________________11____________________
__11/12______11/12_______7____7/9__9/11__
_9_________9___________5____5____7______
7_________7___________3____3____5_______

Roughly, from memory, I think. It was a bitch to play on a fairly long scale bass, but it was a great tune. Unfortunately the guys I was playing with had no idea what to play over it, one of my last attempts at putting together a new band.
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 14, 2012, 02:36:08 AM

Can I lose RSP over time? I was level 4 and a Steam achievement can prove this, but I'm back at 3 now. Might because I switched PCs.

Pretty sure they don't drop. Almost certainly a steam cloud sync issue, they've been cropping up recently.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 19, 2012, 04:52:26 AM

New DLC: 5 songs by Foo Fighters (no "Learn to Fly" though) and the free Xmas song pack (which I couldn't get loaded).

One thing keeps irritating and messing everything up. Despite not having fingers long enough to reach frets a lot of times they are apparently still fat enough to lightly touch the string below the one I'm pressing on, muffling it completely. If I try to move the finger away to prevent that I'm no longer on the string I'm supposed to play. Goddamnitall.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 19, 2012, 05:02:16 AM

Heh, that sounds like me.  Fat, stubby fingers make for awesome natural guitar skills.   Ohhhhh, I see.

If you get the Foo fighter pack...does it let you rehearse single notes (as opposed to only chords/combos)?  That's the difference between "must have" and "might suck" as far as I am concerned.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 19, 2012, 07:26:59 AM

One thing keeps irritating and messing everything up. Despite not having fingers long enough to reach frets a lot of times they are apparently still fat enough to lightly touch the string below the one I'm pressing on, muffling it completely. If I try to move the finger away to prevent that I'm no longer on the string I'm supposed to play. Goddamnitall.

Focus on a more vertical approach. One of the more difficult things about playing guitar (that you'll completely forget) is the amount of attention you'll have to pay to cleanly fretting notes. You'll gain a whole new appreciation of your third knuckle!

You could also look into guitars with a wider neck, but I'd only go that far after focusing on technique. It's difficult for me to play electric after a couple years on a wide classical neck.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 19, 2012, 10:11:34 AM

What do you mean by vertical?  Coming down perpendicular to the string?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 19, 2012, 10:47:00 AM

Having bigger fingers, I've found that as the calluses on my fingertips get thicker/stronger, whatever, I have less of an issue with my fingertips spreading out when I fret a note, so it's a good bit easier to avoid hitting other strings now. 

When I first started, I couldn't believe that I'd ever be able to play chords without mangling them.  Then one day, I played a D chord correctly.  Well, correctly for me, anyway.  I'm sure a guitar teacher would cringe in horror at how I play some chords, but oh well.  Barre chords still are a pain in the ass, though.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 19, 2012, 03:35:20 PM

Yup. You'll probably have to scoot your thumb south behind the neck. It's why we bitch about playing Hendrix (and SRV), they had hands big enough to wrap the thumb over the top and still have a good vertical placement. Bastards.

I also hate barre chords. Some things are just evil. I usually just play them on the top four strings if I can get away with it.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 19, 2012, 10:42:44 PM

Yup. You'll probably have to scoot your thumb south behind the neck. It's why we bitch about playing Hendrix (and SRV), they had hands big enough to wrap the thumb over the top and still have a good vertical placement. Bastards.

Yeah, see, that's the kind of advice I need to hear.  I thought that was a big no-no, so I try not to do it.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 20, 2012, 02:35:09 AM

After the last patch the game no longer opens the Steam browser when you select Rocksmith Shop, so I get to see what the real store looks like. Apparently all the songs are already on your PC for you to browse, even though nothing happens when you try to "buy" them.

Still can't get the free DLC to show up.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 20, 2012, 06:29:30 AM

I thought that was a big no-no, so I try not to do it.
Which position? Guitar is really weird, for every taboo, there is usually a valid style that makes use of it. For instance, apparently I do some movement with my right thumb that's forbidden in classical guitar. A friend said her old teacher would swat her for doing that (which is why she dumped him...). As a mishmash guitarist coming to classical, I find it very hard to maintain left hand thumb discipline, it's supposed to basically sit at the center of the neck's backside. I've adopted a bunch of classical posture and technique, it really does help make playing classical music a lot easier.

Edit - if there are a few specific things you want to see, I could see about shooting a couple quick videos. I have my camera tripod set up (for shooting minis) in the same room as my guitar setup right now.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:31:36 AM by Sky »
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 22, 2012, 05:19:02 PM

Couldn't resist, had to purchase the PC version of Rocksmith (yeah $20 steam sale), hopefully I will play this version more since I wont feel like I am tying up the only TV in the house with my fumbling.  Also hoping the ps3 cable works with PC.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #69 on: December 23, 2012, 01:22:40 AM

Yes it works on any platform. It even works on the Mac for things like GarageBand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rocksmith  
Jump to: