Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:31:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rocksmith 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocksmith  (Read 148689 times)
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: February 04, 2013, 08:55:57 PM

Asked for Sky's fret numbers on the colors as they scroll down the screen

The option to import tablature, or create our own, preferably that one could then play.

Lastly more/better feedback on where you're making mistakes, and also the ability to play the whole song in the Riff Repeater, rather than just sections.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #106 on: February 04, 2013, 09:27:31 PM

I only jumped into riff repeater quickly, it could use some work. Needs to have a mode where it doesn't cut out as soon as you nail the piece. I turned off adaptive or whatever, which helped. But then it kept backing me up when I was playing the riff correctly (the Godzilla main riff...wiggaplease). My fiancee told me to turn it off, first time it annoyed me badly.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: February 08, 2013, 12:50:41 AM

Next DLC: The Clash
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: February 17, 2013, 08:39:51 AM

Anyone been able to pull off a Megadeth solo?

I'm getting better with the wonky tab, but with someting that fast it's difficult both to keep my bearings as they shift the fretboard around (so the numbers on the boxes thing would help greatly there) and also when playing very fast to see what order the notes are in, they get a bit jammed together.

I almost hit 100k on Jessica last night but I had to pretty much ignore the tab and just play it. Every time I'd screw up the old lady would say 'stop reading the tab'  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: February 18, 2013, 03:37:42 AM

DLC for tomorrow: Judas Priest "You've Got Another Thing Coming" and Kansas "Carry On My Wayward Son"

I've been having trouble getting Rocksmith to recognize chords. Gave up on trying to master "Gobbledigook" since it seemed the game haphazardly decided if and when to accept my intonations. Having the same issue in "America's Suiteheart's" chorus, but it also doesn't help when my ring finger changes position when I'm shifting between the doublestops. Someone in the SA thread mentioned they got some leniency from changing the guitar volume, but only temporarily.

As for Megadeth solos it's way way too complex for me, not that I didn't check it out.

Yesterday when I launched the game it mysteriously opened up a new venue with an extra event comprised entirely of three Fall Out Boy songs. Found that rather odd.

EDIT: ... and Ram Jam "Black Betty"  Yahoo!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:55:28 AM by Gets »
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: February 18, 2013, 07:26:47 AM

I only jumped into riff repeater quickly, it could use some work. Needs to have a mode where it doesn't cut out as soon as you nail the piece.

Finally got around to testing a theory, seems you can do this (if I've understood what you mean correctly):

Go into the song from the songs menu rather than the 'continue journey' menu, choose riff repeater-accelerator.

Once the section has started, pause it and manually set the speed. Then even if you complete the section it'll still repeat at the same speed until you pause it again and choose 'resume acceleration'. Far as I can tell it'll keep on repeating until you've failed 30 times. Works at 100% speed too.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: February 18, 2013, 07:31:35 AM

I used the riff repeater once to work on Godzilla, it kept failing me on one chord. There's also a bug where it won't recognize my bass while tuning up. I can switch to the emulated bass mode, hit an octave E to fool the game, then switch back to regular bass and it's fine. It also doesn't like my vibrato (which is pretty aggressive << <<).

I haven't had any issues that I've noticed with Gobbledygook. It's odd how it hides the bonuses and feedback in such a muted text. Good in a way that it's not very intrusive but I'm watching the tab and often wondering whether it's a 'streak bonus' or 'streak over'.

Also, I'm totally getting that new Tom Petty album. That track rocks.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: February 22, 2013, 09:06:44 PM

Best song in the game: the Octaves and Fifths technique challenge.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: March 05, 2013, 03:13:58 AM

Rock Hits 80s 02 (Singles)

• Blue Öyster Cult “Burnin’ For You”
• Violent Femmes “Blister in the Sun”
• Living Colour “Cult of Personality”

A good DLC once again. It's back to bi-weekly DLC from now on though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: March 05, 2013, 11:28:45 AM

I've been making a list of stuff to grab during the next sale. $3 a pop is a bit steep. But definitely some decent titles.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: March 05, 2013, 12:53:22 PM

Don't forget there's about 500 variously cobbled together custom songs out there that you can track down while you wait for sales.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: March 05, 2013, 01:07:12 PM

Say what now

oh...oh my....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:53:03 PM by Sky »
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: March 05, 2013, 08:42:18 PM

oh...oh my....

This. 

Played around with creating a custom song, and it took about 2 hours to get it up and running.  Not terribly hard, other than getting the correct gear selected so that what I'm playing sounds right.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: March 06, 2013, 09:09:06 AM

I really didn't need another time sink. But creating songs sounds cool, especially as I'm picky about how the lower levels of dynamic difficulty are chosen....
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: March 06, 2013, 11:50:20 AM

Looking over the way to make songs, that looks complicated.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: March 06, 2013, 02:11:31 PM

It wasn't too bad, actually.  Granted, I didn't mess around with adding dynamic difficulty, and the riff repeater, etc.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: March 10, 2013, 09:32:36 AM

Once you get a slightly more advanced level in your overall competency in playing the electric guitar you start getting drawn towards all the various expensive accessories. Browsing different amps, pedals and cabinets is a nice way to keep your interest going, but it's a financial commitment. I'm at the point where I'd like to get some more equipment to complement my cheap Epi. I'm drawn towards the Vox Mini3 modelling amp right now. It's portable as well as affordable and has good reviews. I'm hoping to use the cable-split method that I linked a while back and start playing Rocksmith that way to get the best latency. Later I'd like to build a cheap mini-ATX computer optimized to run Rocksmith that I can also travel with.

The Vox Mini3 has a retail price of $100, but the only one on sale where I live is 120€, so half as expensive. I also have 2 floor speakers that are missing their own amp right now, so something that could power those would be perfect.

Oh yeah, and I keep messing up the same double-stops. Tempted to go back to learning easier songs even though I'm at Rank 7 now.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: March 10, 2013, 06:27:37 PM

I had a fun run where I simply couldn't nail a fairly simple song because it wasn't giving me enough points to hit 90k. My buddy was laughing because I was 98% accuracy with a 228 note streak. Then I took that out of the show lineup and put in his request of Soul Man, and for some reason it wasn't registering me playing my bread and butter style triads. E major, ffs. Pretty much the game gets a bit more tedious when you need 90k to qualify all the songs.

The game is fun as hell, but it is pretty wonky.

And the note blocks need to have an option for numbers. When they start sliding the fretboard around it's a pain to keep spatial awareness.

As far as gear recommends, I'm not the guy to ask. I've never been a gadget guy. That vox thing looks cool enough.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #123 on: June 11, 2013, 02:05:03 AM

So this doesn't get lost in the E3 thread, Rocksmith 2014 Edition is releasing in October on PC, Mac, PS3, and 360. No cable version for $20 off for people who already have cables, although that just makes it $60 rather than $80. Backwards compatible with original Rocksmith songs. There's also 50 new tracks, the new Session Mode which was the focus of their announcement at the Ubisoft conference, a more customizable Riff Repeater, a Master Mode that somehow makes it easier to learn playing by memory, and an improved UI. Pre-order bonus is "Cherub Rock" from Smashing Pumpkins.

Trailer

More info on the website.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: June 11, 2013, 07:27:14 AM

Is the console version less prone to latency? I might hold off for a PS4 version. The latency was really getting to me, along with the steep playing requirements for qualification later on (which in turn was a pain due to the crappy riff repeater mode which almost saw my SG put into my TV). When I'm clearly playing the note and the game just isn't registering it, the game needs to be fixed. That episode I mentioned with Soul Man ended with me putting the game down and I haven't picked it up since.

Another barrier is that I like my X-Fi for gaming, but for Rocksmith I have to disable it, enable onboard audio, change the connections then go in and tweak the settings to be Rocksmith latency-friendly.

So I haven't played in months, though I've thought about it quite a bit.

edit - oh, and they need numbers on the note boxes. Badly.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #125 on: June 11, 2013, 12:27:21 PM

Is the console version less prone to latency? I might hold off for a PS4 version. The latency was really getting to me, along with the steep playing requirements for qualification later on (which in turn was a pain due to the crappy riff repeater mode which almost saw my SG put into my TV). When I'm clearly playing the note and the game just isn't registering it, the game needs to be fixed. That episode I mentioned with Soul Man ended with me putting the game down and I haven't picked it up since.

Another barrier is that I like my X-Fi for gaming, but for Rocksmith I have to disable it, enable onboard audio, change the connections then go in and tweak the settings to be Rocksmith latency-friendly.

So I haven't played in months, though I've thought about it quite a bit.

edit - oh, and they need numbers on the note boxes. Badly.

I haven't really noticed any latency issues on the PS3. The only real technical issue I've had on a regular basis is that the game frequently locks up when I try to replay a song, to the point where I usually back out to the song menu and select the song again instead of even trying the replay song button. Haven't seen what changes the new game has made to the UI when you're actually playing yet.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: June 11, 2013, 01:21:44 PM

On the pc there is an issue where it will stop recognizing input from the bass. I go and change it to emulation mode (this happens in the tuner, I can hear the bass but it won't register) and then back to bass mode and it will work fine. If it happens during a song, I have to restart the song. Which sucks at the end of a long set, because you have to run it all again (ok, not the worst thing, but I like changing up the set list).

If there's no latency, say on Pantera? I'm buying a console. It's usually noticeable with long passages of fast notes like a Pantera rhythm section.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #127 on: June 11, 2013, 01:58:45 PM

On the pc there is an issue where it will stop recognizing input from the bass. I go and change it to emulation mode (this happens in the tuner, I can hear the bass but it won't register) and then back to bass mode and it will work fine. If it happens during a song, I have to restart the song. Which sucks at the end of a long set, because you have to run it all again (ok, not the worst thing, but I like changing up the set list).

If there's no latency, say on Pantera? I'm buying a console. It's usually noticeable with long passages of fast notes like a Pantera rhythm section.

I mostly play bass so it's possible I might not notice any latency as much. I've noticed some occasional lag on the UI when a friend of mine and I are playing 2 player guitar and bass though. I'm also not any sort of trained musician so I'd probably notice latency a lot less than you where I'm sure even slight latency must be annoying. Obviously it also depends a lot on your audio setup, but I'm guessing you've probably done a fair amount of research on your end to get the best setup you could (for the PC I've seen people talking about editing the .ini file and such).

Before buying a console, you might be better off just waiting on reviews of the new version when it comes out or maybe a demo and seeing what problems have been fixed.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #128 on: June 11, 2013, 08:20:30 PM

Gamespot also got some footage of BandFuse which is a competitor to Rocksmith. What little they showed of the UI seems a little more basic, but that might just be because they had four people playing.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: June 12, 2013, 07:30:46 AM

I'm sure even slight latency must be annoying.
Exceedingly.

And yeah, I've tweaked everything I've found to tweak (which made it mostly playable, it wasn't before). The last thing to try would be splitting the signal out to an amp and muting the guitar in-game, but then I'd lose all the modeling that makes the guitar sound appropriate for each tune. Doesn't help that I play through a separate audio receiver, so there's a fairly long signal chain (though a console would run through that as well).

Latency is why I don't record on the computer and bought a small multi-tracker a few years back. I'm so painfully aware of latency it kinda sucks.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #130 on: August 23, 2013, 03:22:20 PM

Looks like they're really improving the learning tools for this one.

Somewhat mixed feelings on what they've announced so far for the setlist though:

Aerosmith – Walk This Way
Alice In Chains – Stone
Bob Dylan – Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
B’z – Ultra Soul
Oasis – Don’t Look Back In Anger
The Smashing Pumpkins – The Chimera
Fang Island - Chompers (Source)
Iron Maiden – The Trooper (Source)
Tak Matsumoto – Go Further (Source)
Radiohead – Paranoid Android (Source)
Slayer – War Ensemble (Source)
Weezer – Say It Ain’t So (Source)
Jack White – Sixteen Saltines (Source)
White Zombie – Thunder Kiss ’65 (Source)
Avenged Sevenfold – Bat Country (Source)
Red Fang – Wires (Source)
R.E.M. – Losing My Religion (Source)
The Kinks – You Really Got Me (Source)
Mastodon – Blood and Thunder (Source)
Arctic Monkeys - R U Mine? (Source)
Splashh – All I Wanna Do (Source)
EarlyRise – Wasteland (Source)
Kiss – Rock And Roll All Nite
La Sera – Love That’s Gone
Pantera – Cemetery Gates
Paramore – Now
Rise Against – Savior
Screaming Females – Rotten Apple
The Rolling Stones – Paint It, Black
The Shins – For A Fool
The Who – My Generation
The Dear Hunter - Stuck On a Wire Out On a Fence
PAWS – Sore Tummy
Magic Wands – Black Magic
More to be announced!

Pre-Order DLC:

The Smashing Pumpkins – Cherub Rock
Tame Impala – Elephant
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:51:48 PM by Velorath »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: August 23, 2013, 03:31:47 PM

Well, it's one step toward where they need to be. They're showing the fret numbers on the board under the boxes. If they could just make it optional to show the 2013 style, the 2014 style or the Sky style (numbers on the boxes, ala standard tab formatting more or less), it would be dialed in.

On the other hand. I've spent a shitload on DLC (albeit on sale so 66%+ off), and unless that carries forward, I'll just stick with the old one, I think.

Nice what they're doing with lessons, I don't really need that part though. It's just a glorified play a long for me.

Wait, The Trooper? Dammit. I'm in. It's got some real nice tracks in there. I wonder how much they pulled demographics from DLC sales, seems a bit heavier than 2013.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: August 23, 2013, 03:37:12 PM

Oh. Fucking SNAP.

Will I be able to use DLC from the original Rocksmith with Rocksmith 2014 Edition?

Yes, you will. Your previous DLC purchases will be transferable without any sort of re-payment, as long as you’re moving them on the same platform (i.e., trying to move your original Rocksmith DLC you got on your Xbox 360 console to a copy of Rocksmith 2014 Edition on PlayStation®3 system will not work). This means that Rocksmith 2014 Edition will see new DLC releases in addition to the vast library already established with the original Rocksmith.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #133 on: August 23, 2013, 04:17:58 PM

Nice what they're doing with lessons, I don't really need that part though. It's just a glorified play a long for me.

For experienced players though, at least they're allowing you to set the difficulty level from the start with the songs now instead of making you play through a few times with most of the notes missing and Master Mode fades in and out during a song depending on how well you're do on a particular section.

According to some Q&A stuff they did on Twitter and stuff that's been said elsewhere, they've also cut down load times quite a bit, it sounds like you won't have to go through the tuning thing before every song, sorting through songs is easier (and in the PC version you can use the keyboard to search for a song), they've apparently improved note detection (people complained about the game having trouble recognizing when certain chords were being played correctly), and some songs will now support capos (the alternate arrangement for Paint it Black requires one is the example they gave).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: August 23, 2013, 08:36:25 PM

Man, note detection. Soul Man utterly crushed me on note detection fail, kept me from hitting 90k I needed SO. MANY. TIMES.

And the game hates that I bend notes a lot. A lot. And it doesn't like my vibrato much, either.

Still, nice they're moving forward. I'm looking forward to that pseudo numbering thing, that could be an important step in the right direction. I mean, try playing a Megadeth solo off the cuff with no damn reference numbers! Give me some frets on those blocks and I can at least wing it close. The current version you basically have to memorize any tricky passage because the notation is a little retarded and too easy to get disoriented.

Capos are for hippies.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: August 26, 2013, 06:31:24 AM

I'm really looking forward to the 2014 edition.  I'm happy to see they got enough response from players to keep this going.  I was afraid it would be too niche and have a slow death.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #136 on: August 26, 2013, 04:25:28 PM

Comment on latency from a Joystiq article:

Beyond it's automatic difficulty, another criticism of the original Rocksmith was the lag between playing a note and hearing it on-screen. Executive producer Nao Higo explained that Ubisoft has worked very hard to reduce latency in Rocksmith 2014. When the game's output is connected directly to a stereo or amplifier – Ubisoft's recommended setup – Higo said the latency is down to 20 milliseconds. Latency on a television depends on a number of factors, from manufacturer to display options. Obviously, any options that speed up image processing should be enabled ("game mode" etc). With proper settings, latency should be "virtually imperceptible," said Higo. After playing one song (poorly), I'm hard-pressed to disagree. I'm certainly not a musician, but I didn't notice any latency at all. (For reference, the game was outputting directly to the sound system in my demo.)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: August 26, 2013, 07:42:05 PM

Forgive me if I don't find a non-musician's opinion of playing a song badly to be the slightest bit credible.

Even with things at fairly playable latency, playing 16th notes always lags noticeably. I think there's some cpu overhead on effects processing, too. Since songs with a lot of 16th notes also tend to lay on a few layers of effects...

If they can get it to a point where I don't notice it, I'll be amazed.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #138 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:43 PM

Forgive me if I don't find a non-musician's opinion of playing a song badly to be the slightest bit credible.

Even with things at fairly playable latency, playing 16th notes always lags noticeably. I think there's some cpu overhead on effects processing, too. Since songs with a lot of 16th notes also tend to lay on a few layers of effects...

If they can get it to a point where I don't notice it, I'll be amazed.

I wasn't really posting that due to the author's impressions so much as the producer saying that getting latency down is something they've been working on and that he claims to have made an actual measurable improvement. How noticeable it will be for each user depending on their setup obviously remains to be seen.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: August 27, 2013, 07:26:50 AM

Right, but that's also their current recommended setup and how I have it connected. I even disable my X-Fi and use the mobo optical to reduce time through the breakout box the X-Fi needs to do optical surround.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rocksmith  
Jump to: