Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:21:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: It's not you, it's me. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's not you, it's me.  (Read 186301 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: January 21, 2013, 06:22:27 PM

It also doesn't help that apparently in everyone's memory, Diablo 2 sprung full-formed into existence with LoD 1.10/1.11 patch level stuff right from the beginning.

Edit: On second thought I don't remember when I played Diablo 2, so never mind.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:24:14 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #351 on: January 21, 2013, 08:54:05 PM

I never played LoD  awesome, for real

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: January 25, 2013, 02:24:18 PM

So the new work orders are pure farming dailies and require 8 farm plots per daily and reward 300 rep per quest. swamp poop

Yo dudes, we hear your feedback about rep grind and dailies so we're giving you more dailies that you can only do once you've ground out this other rep.  Oh, and we hear that you like playing wow to bash monsters for loots so you'll love this rep where you can grow plants by clicking twice on a pile of dirt and solving this awesome puzzle to germinate the seed.

Dicks.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: January 25, 2013, 03:28:36 PM

Fuck.... me

Are you serious?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #354 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:56 PM

The idea of risk at all in a video game is fucking stupid. Fucking neck beard virtual achievers need to quit fucking the fun out of our pixels with that whole risk versus reward bullshit. Give me my treats as my reward for spending time in your shitty virtual world.

LOL. I left WoW in 2007 because I didn't enjoy fake gameplay that caters to players who feel entitled to rewards. I pop into this supposed exit thread in 2013 and find someone imagining that I'm a neckbeard looming over his pez dispenser.

Give me the adrenaline of catastrophic consequences for catastrophic failure. Unimaginable reward for total success. And everything in between. That's a game.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #355 on: January 25, 2013, 05:49:06 PM

You described dating, not WoW.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #356 on: January 25, 2013, 05:57:14 PM

Yah, that mentality.. no thanks. Once I could play these games like it wasn't some sort of half job, half practice in masochism; I never wanted it again.  There's a reason you won't see anyone trying to bring back EQ style suffering to market anytime soon; no one wants it.

edit:

Alas, old argument.  Not sure we need to rehash.  

Related to the topic: I'm still not getting drawn in by anything in this expansion.  I can really only think of one think that would 100% bring me back at this point, but it will never, ever happen.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:12:07 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #357 on: January 25, 2013, 07:30:25 PM

Don't leave us hanging, you asshole, tell us what it is!  Heartbreak

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #358 on: January 25, 2013, 08:08:05 PM

I'm guessing SWTOR style companions added, and the one for his class is voiced by Eve Myles.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #359 on: January 25, 2013, 08:14:52 PM

That's your thing. He might just want Ashley.

God Save the Horn Players
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: January 25, 2013, 09:35:46 PM

I'm guessing precasting.  why so serious?

Rasix

Reply #361 on: January 25, 2013, 11:22:01 PM

I'm guessing SWTOR style companions added, and the one for his class is voiced by Eve Myles.

That would be.. fantastic.   Love Letters

That's your thing. He might just want Ashley.

Why not both?

If they announced some sort of story/solo mode for all dungeons/raids.  That'd be the thing for me.  Doesn't even have to drop loot.   That's my pipe dream.

Although, shit, that Merril thing would be nice as well.

-Rasix
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: January 26, 2013, 03:07:58 AM

People bitch about rep.
Blizzard adds a way to get 1200 rep of any MoP faction of your choice once/day for a couple of minutes time on your farm.
People bitch about 'having' to spend a couple of minutes time to get rep.  awesome, for real

If they announced some sort of story/solo mode for all dungeons/raids.
They have.
(Sorry if you're one of the lesser, non-hero, classes) See what I did there?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #363 on: January 27, 2013, 01:33:18 AM

The idea of risk at all in a video game is fucking stupid. Fucking neck beard virtual achievers need to quit fucking the fun out of our pixels with that whole risk versus reward bullshit. Give me my treats as my reward for spending time in your shitty virtual world.

LOL. I left WoW in 2007 because I didn't enjoy fake gameplay that caters to players who feel entitled to rewards. I pop into this supposed exit thread in 2013 and find someone imagining that I'm a neckbeard looming over his pez dispenser.

Give me the adrenaline of catastrophic consequences for catastrophic failure. Unimaginable reward for total success. And everything in between. That's a game.

Go play Vanguard.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #364 on: January 27, 2013, 08:13:12 PM

Go play Vanguard.

Why would I play an old, bad game? I've been enjoying Planetside 2 quite a lot.

Once I could play these games like it wasn't some sort of half job, half practice in masochism; I never wanted it again.  There's a reason you won't see anyone trying to bring back EQ style suffering to market anytime soon; no one wants it.
You described dating, not WoW.

I didn't ask for a time-consuming game. The replies put that assumption on me. I don't have the time anymore either. I asked for the return of gameplay where I can risk losing everything, if the reward for success is worth it to me. That's not dating, that's gambling. It's poker. Double or nothing. Risks people take in games for fun and potential gain, if they are prepared to deal with the loss (or even if they aren't!).

It's not an offensive thing to ask for. Unless, apparently, you love living in a loot dispenser.

I wandered into this thread because I'd noticed it burning along to an 11th page in 2013 and wondered why. I'm still puzzled. Possibly also a bit freaked out by people playing WoW.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:22:49 PM by Tale »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #365 on: January 27, 2013, 08:27:27 PM

I'm puzzled why you walked into a WoW thread and expected to find the Kentucky Derby betting window.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #366 on: January 27, 2013, 08:43:20 PM

I'm puzzled why you walked into a WoW thread and expected to find the Kentucky Derby betting window.

I didn't, I found this comment and responded to it:

The idea of risk at all in a video game is fucking stupid.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #367 on: January 27, 2013, 09:11:08 PM

Well it IS stupid. Risk in gambling is money. You win or lose an asset. Risk in a video game? You're risking time, if that. Then you descend into a realm of Wargame-esque the only way to truly win is not to play.

If at the end of the day no matter how you play a game, the time you've committed to what's supposed to be a fun pursuit, you end up where you started except slightly older and/or entertained. Are you really living on the edge in a game you think has risk, or are you creating a false sense of risk by instituting completely arbitrary factors that will ruin your game? Perhaps others have to have their games ruined for it to be fun for you. Or perhaps you have to have the potential that you could be unhappy after playing a game. Or even worse, perhaps you seek false risk in a safe environment because your life is blandly mediocre.

There's no risk in chess. There's no risk in RISK. You have nothing on the line except pride. If you want true risk, play poker, or the stock market, or go overseas to volunteer in Africa.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #368 on: January 27, 2013, 11:05:11 PM

There's no risk in chess. There's no risk in RISK. You have nothing on the line except pride. If you want true risk, play poker, or the stock market, or go overseas to volunteer in Africa.

In 1997 I got on an $850 bicycle in Scotland and cycled to Poland, mostly alone, camping most nights for four months, via Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, and then newly post-communist nations Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Hungary again, Slovakia again, Poland. I sold my bike for $50, caught a train to tourist-unfriendly Moscow, then a train across Russia, Siberia, Mongolia and China, casually wandered into town from Beijing's northern railway station at 3:20pm on a Monday and found a hotel, then caught trains, buses and a boat on a journey to southern China.

I got sick in Hong Kong and had to come back to Australia, but in 1999, I went to Singapore and caught a local boat to Sumatra, ignoring the travel warnings not to go to Indonesia during their first post-Suharto election. I stayed with locals next to a mosque at Lake Maninjau for a while, swam out into the middle of the crater lake, then took local buses all the way to Bali, with people clutching their chickens in the aisles, eating Padang food with my right hand as they did, came home and a colleague introduced me to EverQuest, in which I became an enjoyably addicted raider and quite fat until I really couldn't take any more sitting around.

It was all more self-indulgent and less worthy than volunteering in Africa (I've volunteered on an Aboriginal settlement in the central Australian desert, if that makes up for it), but I think some of the things I've done in life have had risk. I recovered from a huge and bloody crash in Slovakia. I escaped an attack by gypsies in Romania. I'm now fairly settled with a good job, a mortgage and a new relationship. But when I take the time to enter the imaginary world of a game, I do not want it to be safe. I want to feel adventure and the perception of danger, which to me requires there to be the perceived risks I have described. Maybe I have become a different beast.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:15:15 PM by Tale »
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: January 28, 2013, 05:01:58 AM

In 1997 I got on an $850 bicycle in Scotland and cycled to Poland, mostly alone, camping most nights for four months, via Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, and then newly post-communist nations Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Hungary again, Slovakia again, Poland. I sold my bike for $50, caught a train to tourist-unfriendly Moscow, then a train across Russia, Siberia, Mongolia and China, casually wandered into town from Beijing's northern railway station at 3:20pm on a Monday and found a hotel, then caught trains, buses and a boat on a journey to southern China.

I got sick in Hong Kong and had to come back to Australia, but in 1999, I went to Singapore and caught a local boat to Sumatra, ignoring the travel warnings not to go to Indonesia during their first post-Suharto election. I stayed with locals next to a mosque at Lake Maninjau for a while, swam out into the middle of the crater lake, then took local buses all the way to Bali, with people clutching their chickens in the aisles, eating Padang food with my right hand as they did, came home and a colleague introduced me to EverQuest, in which I became an enjoyably addicted raider and quite fat until I really couldn't take any more sitting around.

It was all more self-indulgent and less worthy than volunteering in Africa (I've volunteered on an Aboriginal settlement in the central Australian desert, if that makes up for it), but I think some of the things I've done in life have had risk. I recovered from a huge and bloody crash in Slovakia. I escaped an attack by gypsies in Romania. I'm now fairly settled with a good job, a mortgage and a new relationship. But when I take the time to enter the imaginary world of a game, I do not want it to be safe. I want to feel adventure and the perception of danger, which to me requires there to be the perceived risks I have described. Maybe I have become a different beast.

I'm sorry, but if a post ever demanded this response, its this one: Cool story bro.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: January 28, 2013, 05:37:35 AM

The 'No risk in RISK' confused me.

Tale's follow up post just blew my fucking mind.

MY MIND.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #371 on: January 28, 2013, 05:40:04 AM

I think it was his attempt to call Paelos to the carpet on his, "Or even worse, perhaps you seek false risk in a safe environment because your life is blandly mediocre. " comment.

It didn't work out.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #372 on: January 28, 2013, 06:33:09 AM

Tale, good grief. I'm not even sure why in the world you felt the need to defend your life in an WoW thread, but come on.

Just don't wander into a subforum with a post of LULZ PPL STILL PLAY THIS? NO RISK NO REWARD YOLO!

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: January 28, 2013, 06:59:22 AM

In 1997 I got on an $850 bicycle in Scotland and cycled to Poland...cool story...Maybe I have become a different beast.

I'm sure you've seen things people wouldn't believe, like, attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, and c-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All that aside what does your story have to do with how wow is now shitty because of people like you?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #374 on: January 28, 2013, 12:54:39 PM

I'm sorry, but if a post ever demanded this response, its this one: Cool story bro.

Haha awesome.

Tale, good grief. I'm not even sure why in the world you felt the need to defend your life in an WoW thread, but come on.!

"Defend my life"? I told a story about the level of risk in my life, now and then.

You said if I wanted risks, I should go and find some in real life instead of games. I gave you an example of some risky adventures I've had, which were very rewarding. I theorised that now my life is more settled, where "risk" means "mortgage", my experiences have turned me into someone who enjoys increased virtual risk for increased virtual reward (or virtual catastrophe), rather than merely being rewarded for spending time in a game. In a thread about how WoW no longer does it for whoever.

Keep up smiley
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:33:17 PM by Tale »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #375 on: January 28, 2013, 01:31:43 PM

I'm trying to think of a good way to compare pre-Trammel UO to the time me and my brother saw one of his best friends get ran over and killed by a drunk driver in front of our house.

Something something pk character permanence fethers

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: January 28, 2013, 01:36:31 PM

I don't think I've seen trolling this blatant since Sinij was banned.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: January 28, 2013, 01:43:17 PM

I don't think I've seen trolling this blatant since Sinij was banned.

Well it's about time someone stepped up their game then. You people think you can just log into F13 and have a nice daisy-chain reach-around circle-jerk where everyone agrees, and you get rewarded for just showing up? Didn't I ever tell you newbs about the time I got chased barefoot across the polar ice shelf* by a gang of angry Mongolians? You can bet your risk vs reward that I wasn't thinking about a video game then!

* (Uphill, both ways.)

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #378 on: January 28, 2013, 02:05:00 PM

I'm trying to think of a good way to compare pre-Trammel UO to the time me and my brother saw one of his best friends get ran over and killed by a drunk driver in front of our house.

Very sorry you went through that.

I should point out that my MMORPG experience began with the entry into EQ I mentioned above - I didn't play UO. So my perspective on risk vs reward is mostly about PvE, thinking of corpses stuck in Plane of Fear and the early days of SWG which had a similar dynamic (when the game even worked, that is). I know a lot of people don't like that kind of risk, but I'm a fan of it and I missed it in WoW.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #379 on: January 28, 2013, 02:14:33 PM

Very sorry you went through that.

I should point out that my MMORPG experience began with the entry into EQ I mentioned above - I didn't play UO. So my perspective on risk vs reward is mostly about PvE, thinking of corpses stuck in Plane of Fear and the early days of SWG which had a similar dynamic (when the game even worked, that is). I know a lot of people don't like that kind of risk, but I'm a fan of it and I missed it in WoW.
It was like a billion years ago. Also you're the first person I've ever seen that liked the planes of hate/fear break in stuff. My WoW guild was ran by a bunch of EQ burnouts and they told horror stories about how shitty those were.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #380 on: January 28, 2013, 03:11:01 PM

The experience was totally shitty, but for a 20-something with plenty of time it was unique and memorable.  Time gives all shitty things a rosy color, though.   

Nostalgia & the mind have this funny way of taking shitty experiences and making us say dumb things like, "Well I wouldn't be the man I am today if I didn't get caught in the drug cartel cross fire that killed my parents, wife and newborn son.  Despite the pain I can't imagine life any differently and wouldn't change that."

Because otherwise we'd boggle at the amount of wasted time and lost opportunities.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #381 on: January 28, 2013, 03:18:36 PM

And yet, we can all agree on some things being completely shitty. Such as leveling any character in the absolute shitpile that was DOAC's pve.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: January 28, 2013, 03:19:50 PM

And yet, we can all agree on some things being completely shitty. Such as leveling any character in the absolute shitpile that was DOAC's pve.

We all knew that was shitty even when we were doing it though.

Rasix

Reply #383 on: January 28, 2013, 03:23:12 PM

I couldn't get past the mid 30s.   I only got that far because I was playing with friends including my current roommate.   They continued to play until post ToA.   I consider myself lucky for getting out when I did.  

Mythic's PVE is fucking terrible.  Some of Turbine's attempts are just as bad, but at least you could exploit that shit at launch.

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #384 on: January 28, 2013, 03:24:43 PM

You'll find someone who remembers it fondly, or backtracks and says, "Well it really wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.  They were just upset by the justified XP nerf and made it out to be worse than it was."  Guarantee it.

Nobody thought there would ever be people who remembered EQ planar corpse runs fondly, after all.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: It's not you, it's me.  
Jump to: