Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:51:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662330 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #2135 on: January 08, 2019, 06:07:39 PM

I keep it installed, even keep my joystick plugged in, but always seem to find something else to play. A large part of the problem is that I don't want to spend a chunk of time re-learning how to play, what my goals were when I quit, etc. If we had some sort of group play night I would probably make an effort to jump in and bombard Gulp and IW with noob questions.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2136 on: January 08, 2019, 06:23:55 PM

I think I only have a krait and a cutter in my stables. But mining i always liked, now you people are telling me I can make credits doing it? please stop.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2137 on: January 08, 2019, 10:53:49 PM

Every time I read people here talking about it, I restart it on Steam. I then spend thirty minutes crashing on landing in the tutorial.

Hello from 1341 hours played (Steam says).

I am annoyed that I have to relearn exploration at the moment. All I wanted to do was log in and get the Guardian FSD booster and go on the Distant Worlds II expedition. But I had to remap eleventy seven keys and figure out how to honk and mode switch and I still don't know how to detailed surface scan and map. But I made it to the Guardian structures, fought a few Guardian sentinels and had to log off because I was falling asleep.

I have four days until DWII departs, between work, gardening, the needs of a pregnant wife, and a weekend away. This is totally not going to happen, but I need it to happen so that my account can be stuck out in the black to make sure that I don't have to relearn mining.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2138 on: January 09, 2019, 02:26:28 AM

I think I only have a krait and a cutter in my stables. But mining i always liked, now you people are telling me I can make credits doing it? please stop.

Just to reinforce, I just hit Elite Trader solely due to selling Void Opals.  It's crazy broken at the moment, when you can find them.  I now have 'fuck you, I'm flying this cutter into the sun' money.  Mining is worth a shitload and even tho I have issues with the implementation, the core mining is actually fun..... once you find a core.

I keep it installed, even keep my joystick plugged in, but always seem to find something else to play. A large part of the problem is that I don't want to spend a chunk of time re-learning how to play, what my goals were when I quit, etc. If we had some sort of group play night I would probably make an effort to jump in and bombard Gulp and IW with noob questions.

Feel free.  I'm more than happy to kick up a session or answer any questions.  I STILL haven't done multi-crew ('cause I have no friends, boo hoo, poor me) so I'm always open to a good pester.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2139 on: January 09, 2019, 04:16:14 AM

This is one of those games that is initially daunting, but really becomes second hand simple once you've played it for a bit.  You can do the legit joystick/throttle setup, but I just use a 360 gamepad.

And don't sweat fucking up in the beginning.  Sidewinders are free, so crash away.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2140 on: January 09, 2019, 04:27:09 AM

I cannot fathom playing this game on a 360 controller.  How on earth can you simplify things down to that level?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2141 on: January 09, 2019, 04:34:28 AM

I tried it after I got my 360  controller for Dark Souls.  Couldn't manage it.  Keyboard and Mouse works fine for me....

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2142 on: January 09, 2019, 04:51:42 AM

I cannot fathom playing this game on a 360 controller.  How on earth can you simplify things down to that level?

The face buttons all work in coordination with the d-pad.  So the a button controls your galaxy/system map along with supercruise, and system jumps, x handles weapons/utility mounts and scanners, y is targeting, and b handles stuff like landing gear and miscellaneous.  The shoulder buttons handle the throttle, and the triggers handle primary/secondary fire.

Again, it looks daunting, but it's pretty elegant once you use it.  I run mine under "classic context" in the control menu.  The only time I use the mouse is if I need to sort through stars in the galaxy map.

ETA: just hold down the face button and a context menu pops up telling you everything you can do.  Easy.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:59:11 AM by Big Gulp »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2143 on: January 09, 2019, 05:11:38 AM

Interesting.  As I go on about endlessly sometimes, I have only ever played this game in VR, and one of the main challenges there is having a hotas on the one hand managing all the heavy use stuff, but then having to blindly (literally) use a keyboard with the other hand for less used but still really important functions.  I really want the hotas for the immersion of it, but I am suddenly wondering if a controller wouldn't end up being the superior choice on the whole....

So if you are targeting, for example....do you hold down Y for a context menu every time, or does that just change the current function of what Y does (so that you can just tap Y every time you need to cycle targets, etc.).  Does that make sense?  Like, tapping X makes you fire your weapon, but holding it down changes it from firing function to scanning function?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

Reply #2144 on: January 09, 2019, 06:19:56 AM

I have the HOTAS for Ps4 which works really well for me when I was playing. Guess I gotta hunt that down and get my liver diseased, coal dust covered pilot back in the mining Cutter.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2145 on: January 09, 2019, 06:32:02 AM

So if you are targeting, for example....do you hold down Y for a context menu every time, or does that just change the current function of what Y does (so that you can just tap Y every time you need to cycle targets, etc.).  Does that make sense?  Like, tapping X makes you fire your weapon, but holding it down changes it from firing function to scanning function?

Holding y down will show you what y plus a whole lot of other button combinations will do.  Once you learn what every combo does you can just do them, but the context menu exists if you get forgetful.  A quick tap changes targets.  You can remap those functions in the controls menu.

ETA:  I play the game with my Oculus sometimes, and it totally works well.  Can only really use the VR for an hour or so, though before the headaches kick in.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:46:10 AM by Big Gulp »
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2146 on: January 10, 2019, 06:44:38 PM

I then spend thirty minutes crashing on landing in the tutorial.

NSFW (language).

I'm an explorer.  Currently in the eye of Barnard's Loop, which I had to fly around to get to, because the devs locked whole swaths of space.

EDIT:  BTW, there's a huge expedition about to take off across the galaxy, some 8000 pilots flying in Open, 4 weeks out there.  Game allows "Multicrew", you just pick one of them and teleport your viewpoint to their copilot seat, see what they see without leaving your base.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:26:53 PM by ajax34i »
Terracotta Army

Reply #2147 on: January 11, 2019, 03:11:11 AM

Fuck all of you. Just watched a few mining youtube vids and had to dig out my god damn hotas. There goes my weekend...luckily it is shitty cold out and supposed to snow all day Saturday.

edit: oh yeah..... This is what I wanted out of mining. Now, about the limpet AI. It actually is better than it was, but still... fuckers are still dumb.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:30:47 PM by 01101010 »

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2148 on: January 16, 2019, 12:20:55 AM

Commander Deluxe Edition (best current Elite package) is 76% off at Humble.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2149 on: January 16, 2019, 01:35:14 AM

I'm starting to realise that the only way in hell I'm going to get my Combat badges is by gratuitous winging up of friends that I don't have.

If you're on at any point and see me on, let me know if you're up for shooting some assholes.  Currently doing the community mission that is 'Shoot Fuckers' and it's … not going well.'

WayAbvPar

Reply #2150 on: January 16, 2019, 01:57:34 AM

Does this require being actually effective at shooting said assholes?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2151 on: January 16, 2019, 02:24:37 AM

Effectiveness Increases With Numbers.  Would You like to Know More ?

(In seriousness, I wouldn't want anyone to die on my account, but I'm finding more and more with these events if you're not in a wing then it's going to go one of two ways ;  you're either going to own and run out of enemies real quick or you're going to start to lose and before you know it everyone is shooting at you.  It's kinda worse when you're playing in Open because they seem to have changed tagging a bit in that I was getting no kills despite helping some other bloke though I wasn't winged with him.  Then two real guys turned up on the enemy side and I got gutted.  So, buyer beware.)

WayAbvPar

Reply #2152 on: January 16, 2019, 12:35:15 PM

Is this something you can do in a friends only session or is it only Open? I am deeply out of practice (and was never super effective to begin with), but I don't mind taking a few hits if I can depend on not getting ganked by some stranger at the exact wrong moment.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2153 on: January 16, 2019, 03:41:02 PM

Yup.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2154 on: January 16, 2019, 10:42:43 PM

Late last night I unlocked the Guardian FSD Booster which took my Asp Explorer's jump range to 68.38 ly. Updated the engineering on my Power Plant for more juice. Tweaked the final build I'm taking with me into the black.

And launched into Distant Worlds II. Still 4000 ly behind the fleet, but I'll catch up, at least for a while.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2155 on: January 17, 2019, 01:44:09 AM

I mentioned the FSD Booster a couple of pages back ;  it's trivially easy to acquire and is awesome in every way.  Given that probably some of you had scanners in a 2/3 bay, now you can increase your range for nothing.

It's well worth your time.  Even my little Ferdie can now jump reasonably.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2156 on: January 17, 2019, 03:20:00 AM

I mentioned the FSD Booster a couple of pages back ;  it's trivially easy to acquire and is awesome in every way.  Given that probably some of you had scanners in a 2/3 bay, now you can increase your range for nothing.

It's well worth your time.  Even my little Ferdie can now jump reasonably.

Here's my exploration ship now, called Scarpa (named after the walking boot brand I have used in a lot of real-life exploration).

The greyed-out items are switched off until needed, to reduce power usage on the engineered 2A power plant. One thing that might need explanation is the chaff launcher - that's purely for DWII group photos because it looks like fireworks.

Some of the engineering is not grade 5, or not up-to-date. I could get it over 70 ly jump range if I revisited engineering and adequately gathered materials first.... but what's a couple of light years for all that.

When doing the Guardian FSD booster unlock, I followed this guide. And the components list in the first spoilered image in this post. I was in a real hurry, so it was confusing at first. Being in an SRV in a low gravity environment is not ideal for moving around structures, but once I got the hang of the layout, it was fine.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2157 on: January 17, 2019, 04:18:43 AM

That's the walkthrough I used as well.  Even for someone who's as shit at driving an SRV as me, it's a piece of cake.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2158 on: January 17, 2019, 02:44:46 PM

Whoa whoa whoa, there's spreadsheets? And here I stopped playing because I couldn't get my VR setup working the way I liked ..

- Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2159 on: January 17, 2019, 05:38:01 PM

PS4 update hit today. Fixed the dual ablation creating 2 rocks - no more double yields. Good while it lasted... Still making bank on cracking eggs, just not as quickly.

Was using my Krait MKII which worked great, but I never loved the ship. Too manta ray like or something... So I drydocked it and grabbed the python again. Nice that all my cores transferred over since they are all engineered out the ass.

Come to think of it, I actually started mining with my cutter but was too much ship. Never even filled one of the 256 holds on a trip because there is only so much I can take. Medium ships all the way.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2160 on: January 19, 2019, 06:40:19 AM

I used to Mine with the Type 6, and it was great fun. Lots of Cargo and it was maneuverable as hell.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2161 on: January 20, 2019, 04:59:48 AM

Made the 5421 ly trek out to Omega Nebula where the Distant Worlds 2 people are. Swapped out some gear for mining equipment (there's an asteroid base to equip at) and got myself onto the lowest rung of the community goal, in the hope of getting a decal reward.

Took a look at the system's news reports and 5032 ships have passed through in the last 24 hours. System chat is so spammy. The crime report shows mass murder, including by Harry Potter and SDC, so if you're heading out that way don't travel in Open or you'll go 5k ly for nothing.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2162 on: January 20, 2019, 03:03:11 PM

Its easy splatting for the Dipshits as the explorers will be stripped light, which means no armour and little if any shields. Which is the best way to look for gud fites, and encourage people to PVP.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:30:45 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

Reply #2163 on: January 20, 2019, 05:18:32 PM

Fuck everything about playing Open during any event.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2164 on: January 21, 2019, 02:06:13 AM

Yeah.  It's pretty retarded that even now there are people who will look at the UO system of policing and think 'It just needed MORE hope to work !'

Idiots.

Terracotta Army

Reply #2165 on: January 21, 2019, 05:37:23 PM

In other news... traded in the Cutter for a corvette. Now using that as my mining vessel. Already cracked 700m even after buying the modules and running around engineering them.
Now with sauce:

Life is so much better when you have credits.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:38:12 PM by 01101010 »

WayAbvPar

Reply #2166 on: January 22, 2019, 12:03:41 AM

I have about 5M, with a decently kitted Vulture and and an Asp Explorer kitted out for exploration. Trying to level up all the engineers but having to go tooling around looking for mats makes me stabby. Is there a good up-to-date guide for engineers? Like which ones to get first, which can be ignored, which tweaks to buy, etc?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2167 on: January 22, 2019, 01:26:46 AM

From my experience, you want Thrusters and FSD first.  After that, it's really, really up to you - If you're a fighter, you'll want shields and pew-pew and then other 'combat' stuff upgraded.  The trick to getting the mats is to get yourself to some of the spots that drop the big ones (Dav's Hope, Crashed Anaconda, other oddities) and then once you have a bank of large mats you can disassemble them for the mats you actually need at a material vendor.

I do find it funny that we still talk about 5 million like it means anything and is not just 3 tons of Void Opals.   why so serious?

Money means nothing in this game.  You can start in a sidey and get millions scanning to get your miner ship and then you're voiding like a maniac.

WayAbvPar

Reply #2168 on: January 22, 2019, 06:21:15 PM

5m is what I have because I don't want to re-learn how to mine or the new exploration stuff. I get anxious enough fighting the UI just bouncing around the galaxy; actually accomplishing new things sounds a lot like work.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2169 on: January 22, 2019, 07:12:15 PM

Honestly that's why I don't log in. Every time I want to I think of all the changes I'd have to relearn and I just get scared and don't.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: