Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2019, 04:15:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 218205 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2170 on: January 22, 2019, 09:19:01 PM

From my experience, you want Thrusters and FSD first.  After that, it's really, really up to you - If you're a fighter, you'll want shields and pew-pew and then other 'combat' stuff upgraded.  The trick to getting the mats is to get yourself to some of the spots that drop the big ones (Dav's Hope, Crashed Anaconda, other oddities) and then once you have a bank of large mats you can disassemble them for the mats you actually need at a material vendor.

I do find it funny that we still talk about 5 million like it means anything and is not just 3 tons of Void Opals.   why so serious?

Money means nothing in this game.  You can start in a sidey and get millions scanning to get your miner ship and then you're voiding like a maniac.

Like a maniac you say?

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2171 on: January 22, 2019, 09:41:32 PM

5m is what I have because I don't want to re-learn how to mine or the new exploration stuff. I get anxious enough fighting the UI just bouncing around the galaxy; actually accomplishing new things sounds a lot like work.
Honestly that's why I don't log in. Every time I want to I think of all the changes I'd have to relearn and I just get scared and don't.

I was that way, too. I haven't learned how to do the new mining (you can still mine the old way, which is what I did for the community goal above), but it looks exciting and explodey. And I made it 80% of the way to the Distant Worlds expedition waypoint before I figured out the new exploration deal.

Basically there are now two HUD modes: fighting stuff (red), and peaceful stuff like mining and exploration (blue). You switch between them with one hotkey.

You still do an old-fashioned "honk" first for exploration. If that reveals planets you're interested in, you press a hotkey to open a new mode called the FSS (Full Spectrum System) scanner. This works like tuning an old-fashioned radio and telescopically zooming in on a signal (but the signals are each type of planet, and then each planet within its type). The hotkeys you bind for this are for moving around, tuning, and zooming in. When you have tuned enough that you can zoom in fully on a planet, you have discovered it (information about its composition comes up, and if you're the first you will get your name on it if you sell the data).

There's no longer any need to fly up to the planet for that. You just need to be in the system. You don't need any special equipment (Advanced Discovery Scanner no longer exists, freeing up a slot for things like a Guardian FSD Booster).

However, if you have a Detailed Surface Scanner (DSS) and fly close enough to a planet that you have discovered, you can now map it for extra $$, and get your name on an additional line. This too is a new mode brought up with a hotkey. You then point and shoot around the planet with drones that map its surface bit by bit. It's like firing guided missiles. You have infinite drones, but you are scored on your efficiency with them (engineering on your DSS has been converted to aid the effectiveness of your drones). And that's that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:00:14 AM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2172 on: January 23, 2019, 03:24:53 AM

What's interesting about that is if you're discovering for cash, doing the detailed scans actually loses you money because of the time it takes.   why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2173 on: January 23, 2019, 03:26:29 AM

Like a maniac you say?

Yeah, that's a haul and a half.  About 365.5 million in there ?

Terracotta Army

Reply #2174 on: January 23, 2019, 05:12:11 AM

220m - I didn't feel like flying all over god's creation looking for a station buying for 1.6m. I settled for the next tier down - 760k per. plus got a good price on the alex. At this point, I'm not even in it for the coin anymore though that is a huge perk. I really am enamored with the exploding roids. I love the animation and sound...all of it.

If I was a betting man, I'd say the market will crash soon and everything will be reduced. I can't see it continuing. One of the main gates has always been credits and now that has evaporated. Looking like engineering has taken up the mantle along with the guardian stuff.

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2175 on: January 23, 2019, 05:26:50 AM

When I filled my Conda, I used the DB to find the top dollar station ;  I wasn't going to do that shit again.   why so serious?

Don't get me wrong, I like the new Core Mining and it's fun, but it's also a lot more nerve wracking than the previous pew pew mining.

Terracotta Army

Reply #2176 on: January 23, 2019, 05:33:13 AM

I'm sure I'll get tired of it at some point, but I am definitely addicted to the mining slot machine right now. I hope they adjust the prices a bit and make subsurface mining a bit more lucrative. Right now it is the forgotten child in all this. That said, I think the subsurface mining with the drilling missiles is the most engaging.  Maybe I'll start looking at mining missions a little more closely - I still have to farm alliance rep and get elite in trading as well.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2177 on: January 23, 2019, 05:39:26 AM

What's interesting about that is if you're discovering for cash, doing the detailed scans actually loses you money because of the time it takes.   why so serious?

Thousands of light years from Sol, on a nine-month discovery expedition in the black, what is this cash you speak of.
Terracotta Army

Reply #2178 on: January 23, 2019, 05:44:31 AM

Thousands of light years from Sol, on a nine-month discovery expedition in the black, what is this cash you speak of.

It's only for the working people. You fucking hippies on some journey of self discovery are paid in the experience and wonder of your expedition.  why so serious?

So this DW thing is a bunch of coordinated mapping to the distant center of the galaxy that a huge amount of people are partaking in...right? That's a lot of coin in exploration going by what I get just for honking around in the bubble looking for cash crops in ice rings. Be a shame if they came back to the bubble in open. I'd hate to get all the way back and have SDC blow me up before I hit a station to sell my info. That would make me quit the game completely.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2179 on: January 23, 2019, 05:45:41 AM

I wish I understood half of what is being written here, as it sounds fun.  Only thing I have discovered since my last post in the thread is that "yes, it does seem you can use and xbox controller for this".

Never, ever assume someone that short and fat has their shit together. - Schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2180 on: January 23, 2019, 06:07:09 AM

So this DW thing is a bunch of coordinated mapping to the distant center of the galaxy that a huge amount of people are partaking in...right? That's a lot of coin in exploration going by what I get just for honking around in the bubble looking for cash crops in ice rings. Be a shame if they came back to the bubble in open. I'd hate to get all the way back and have SDC blow me up before I hit a station to sell my info. That would make me quit the game completely.

There are now remote asteroid bases and the like, in far-flung regions. At the moment the DW2 expedition is based in a nebula 5000 ly from Sol, where there is a mining company base that has Universal Cartographics to sell exploration data at. The Colonia region also has dozens of inhabited systems with many starports and planetary bases, so it's similar to the bubble for selling data.

One of the main points of the expedition is to build a starport in a system near Sagittarius A, at the centre of the galaxy, which will also become a place to sell data and possibly the centre of a new inhabited region. The massive Community Goal that's just about to complete is DW2 participants mining materials for the starport. It's supported by Frontier and is a lot more than a mapping expedition: https://www.distantworlds2.space

FWIW I'm apparently worth 577 million credits, most of which came from exploration data (partly trips into the black, partly Road To Riches). The rest came from trading and passenger missions. I'm sure you're worth billions. It's impossible to achieve everything you want in this game, so I've decided to focus on what catches my interest and forget about kicking goals (unless a goal catches my interest). I like the way they've set up long-distance exploration to be an accidental source of a reasonable income.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:21:16 AM by Tale »
Terracotta Army

Reply #2181 on: January 23, 2019, 06:39:07 AM

I have to admit, I like the way Frontier organize the addition of new bases in the game. Having the community have to hit goals in order for a new base to be added is a very cool touch in this game.

I'm a bubble boy and will rarely if ever venture out (probably poisoned that well when I did the Road to Riches when PS4 version released to grind to the Conda and then Elite in Exploration). That said, mining has been my thing since it was an option and not a very good option at that. I did my rep grinding and what not, but when I wanted to decompress, I'd be looking up pristine metallic rings online and venturing off to shoot rocks.

I have noticed recently when I have been mining in more popular spots, I get mission updates about something going on near me that I should look into. I normally just toss those into the bin, but I might start paying attention to those now that I have a ship that doesn't take shit from anything. Yesterday I logged in at the mining ring I was previously stripping down and had a 3/3 wing group of NPC pirates come after me. An eagle, a viper, and an adder all started scanning me. The 2 class 4 efficient beams with thermal vent basically liquefied the eagle and the viper without either of them turning to fire on me. The adder also died really quickly once I brought the ship around. Barely felt any dmg in the first ring of shields from the adder.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2182 on: January 23, 2019, 07:05:46 AM

I wish I understood half of what is being written here, as it sounds fun.  Only thing I have discovered since my last post in the thread is that "yes, it does seem you can use and xbox controller for this".

Dude, just ask.

Also, it's mostly less fun than it sounds.

why so serious?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2183 on: January 23, 2019, 07:13:09 AM

Well the amusing thing is that, according to steam, I have 50 hours logged in this game  awesome, for real

Some of that is wasted time, but most of it is just getting to grips with the various controls, running a bunch of missions, upgrading things and buying new ships, etc.  Never really getting under the surface of anything, but enjoying it at least on a superficial.  And all in VR.  Then I step away from the game for whatever reason, pick it up again and feel like I have to start all over.

Never, ever assume someone that short and fat has their shit together. - Schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2184 on: February 09, 2019, 07:51:16 PM

Well, so far Distant Worlds 2 for me is mostly a jump-honk-scoop rush from point A to point B in the minimal time I've had available to play, then logging off for a week until the next waypoint is announced. But I did manage to capture these screenshots (Conflux Delta Site and Rusty Net Nebula) and map half a dozen unexplored systems.

Edit: Still travelling... ringed star at Collection of Wonders, and taking off from Sacaqawea Space Port, in a nebula about halfway to Colonia.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:07:12 PM by Tale »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: