Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:40:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662343 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2065 on: April 24, 2018, 08:48:11 AM

Thank You for tips.
Did You ever died to heat? I've read that there is small chance that You will jump into a system between two suns.
Also why people recommend fitting SRV?

I recommend fitting heatsink launchers. That small chance increases with the number of systems you visit. I've had this happen a few times during my last two exploration runs. Usually because you end up too close to a massive star, exit from hyperspace between a binary star pair or get to close to a white dwarf or neutron star's jet. Or simply because you screw up fuel scooping.

It's also a matter of routine, an expedition means you'll probably do hundreds of jumps and you'll do the same basic steps every time you enter a new system. (orient yourself, "honk", refuel, check system map etc.). This will get repetitve and you'll likely lose concentration and eventually screw up. Happened to all of us as well.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2066 on: April 24, 2018, 05:25:28 PM

You can open the map and color stars by Star Class, then check the boxes only for KGB FOAM stars, and also (bottom checkbox) "Apply Filter To Route" et voila: you can now fuel at every jump and never run into neutron stars.  Of course, there's still a chance to jump into a pair of regular stars and get heated up.   So it's still recommended that you take along a heat sink launcher.

When I had my Diamondback Explorer (DBX), I put a cabin in the top slot and took a mission for a tourist for 10,000 LY, paying 20 million.  Used spansh's RoadToRiches for the first 100 jumps, because you can just copy-paste the "next destination" from his website right into the map, and bumped that 20 million to 100 million, scanning just the Earth-like worlds indicated.  Put my name on a couple systems far from the bubble.  Took a couple days to do the round trip, and was scary at the end because my dear passenger didn't want to get scanned, and I almost crashed into the station trying to land before a scan could finish.

EDIT:  I sold the cartographics data in Ethgreze to gain Alliance reputation and unlock Bill Turner.  Put me right at 100% allied, unlocked Alioth system permit.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:30:18 PM by ajax34i »
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #2067 on: April 25, 2018, 01:37:39 AM

Is there a tool dedicated to road2riches that will avoid already visited systems during route plotting?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2068 on: April 25, 2018, 01:47:10 AM

Yes.  It's called Notepad.txt.

awesome, for real

(In all seriousness, the thing I linked earlier will show you where you've been, but I'm not familiar with a tool that will take that and make a customised RtR for you.)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2069 on: April 25, 2018, 04:13:44 AM

It's also a matter of routine, an expedition means you'll probably do hundreds of jumps and you'll do the same basic steps every time you enter a new system. (orient yourself, "honk", refuel, check system map etc.). This will get repetitve and you'll likely lose concentration and eventually screw up. Happened to all of us as well.

Exacgtly how I damaged myself in my trip.

With regards to my double Repair and no shield policy, I was on a trip to Colonia, and I had no plans to landing, so it made sense to me. Colonia is a long trip, even with the planetary outposts along the way as rest stops. But yeah, first time trip, bring a shield.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2070 on: April 25, 2018, 04:54:27 AM

Is there a tool dedicated to road2riches that will avoid already visited systems during route plotting?

I used this: https://www.alpha-orbital.com/pathfinder

It's great and if you're using the same PC, it remembers where you were up to (via a cookie I think). It has some glitches in the data where it groups two systems together as one, but you can always work it out and it continues being useful.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2071 on: April 25, 2018, 05:02:44 AM

or, worse, into 3 stars clustered together with no way out but through !
exit from hyperspace between a binary star pair

I don't think this can happen anymore. A few patches ago, they made it so that if the spawn point is a binary/trinary star, you spawn further away than normal (i.e. it's easy mode now). I now explore with only one heatsink launcher and I keep it switched off unless I need it, because otherwise I tend to accidentally fire it off. You can also restock heatsink launcher ammo via synthesis, so unless you're firing off 3 or more heatsink charges in an emergency, one heatsink may be okay now.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:05:39 AM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2072 on: April 25, 2018, 07:40:54 AM

It happened to me last week.  I suppose, yeah, I could have turned or moved, but my next waypoint was THROUGH DAMMIT !!!

awesome, for real

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2073 on: May 22, 2018, 10:51:44 PM

"BONUS WEEKEND" this weekend: May 24 to May 30

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/428502-Bonus-Weekend-Trade-amp-Engineering-(24-05-to-30-05)

All profits from trading activities will be increased. The amount of profit will vary depending on what you are shipping and where you’re shipping it to. (Rare commodities are excluded from this bonus.)

The materials requested for engineering recipes will be at one rank below the existing ones. (G5 mods will require only the materials used for G4 mods, G4 will use G3 materials, etc.)

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2074 on: May 23, 2018, 01:42:52 AM

That may break my current Shadow of War dependency.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #2075 on: May 25, 2018, 02:06:36 AM

You mean Uruk-hai Fighting Manager 2017?  why so serious?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2076 on: May 25, 2018, 02:13:20 AM

Every fucking game needs The Nemesis System.

EVERY SINGLE GAME.

It's just a shame they didn't elevate some of the rest of it, like, you know, the base game and the story.

But The Nemesis System is the best invention since the AI from the original Half Life.

I'm currently in a battle of wills with Az-Bolg The Noble and he's a total, total cunt.  It's glorious.  I would tell you all about it, but it'll get very long.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #2077 on: May 25, 2018, 02:39:42 AM

Every fucking game needs The Nemesis System.

EVERY SINGLE GAME.

I agree. It's also one of the bigger oddities in gaming why no one else is doing a similar thing. But we're getting off topic here.
Well maybe not: ED could massively profit from a well implemented Nemesis system to spice up the mission system and the gameplay/Story Background.

Imagine an NPC that is so hellbent on revenge that he'll follow you to Beagle Point or through the formadine rift just to get back at you or a competing Trader that wants to topple your trading empire etc.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2078 on: May 25, 2018, 04:23:31 AM

Yes.  That's kinda the thinking.  There are so many existing games where that kind of interaction would spice things up and Elite is one of them.

Hell, the Fer-De-Lance that hates you and KEEPS COMING BACK for you is pretty much what Elite is all about.

The problem with Elite is while I love it hugely, there's little to no interactions that draw you in as yet.  The closest you could come is playing in Open and meeting a total fucking tard.   why so serious?  Hell, I've met Orcs in Shadow that have more personality than other players.

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #2079 on: May 25, 2018, 06:15:14 AM

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2080 on: May 25, 2018, 07:13:08 AM

The materials requested for engineering recipes will be at one rank below the existing ones. (G5 mods will require only the materials used for G4 mods, G4 will use G3 materials, etc.)

I pasted that from a forum, but it turns out to be incorrect. What Frontier means by "one rank below the existing ones" is the item that the materials trader would consider to be one rank below the material required. And that's not necessarily the G4 material for the G5 upgrade. It could be something else entirely. Confusing.

e.g. G5 FSD mod currently requires 1 rhenium, 1 chemical distillery, 1 eccentric hyperspace trajectory
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:14:55 AM by Tale »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2081 on: June 09, 2018, 03:12:30 AM

I'm due to go to the shops with my wife. She's still getting ready.

I'm running a quick 784t of Power Generators to Lave in my Type 9 for the current Community Goal.

Interdicted right next to Lave Station... and oh shit, it's a player. I've mistakenly logged into Open. He disables my ship. He wants to chat, but I ignore him. Just destroy me or something. I'm busy.

"Drop some cargo," he says. I drop him 1t of Power Generators.

"Drop more," he says. I drop another 10. He moves off to scoop them up.

I reboot/repair and low wake out. But he interdicts and disables me again.

"Power Generators are worthless. Drop all your cargo."

Wife is ready to go. She has an appointment in 20 minutes.

I drop all the cargo for this guy. He moves off to scoop them up. I reboot/repair again and attempt to low wake out, but he mass locks me.

"Did I say you could leave?"

Screw this. I've gotta go. I log out. There's nothing stopping me. Am I one of those hated combat loggers, interrupting his space-asshole roleplay?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2082 on: June 09, 2018, 03:32:02 AM

How dare you make his erection smaller.

Hic sunt dracones.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2083 on: June 13, 2018, 04:51:52 PM

Okay, damned if I can figure this out...

I've been trying to obtain the humble rank of recruit with the Federation just so I can go to Sol.  I'm 100% allied, and I apparently have enough juice to rank up, but I can't find any appropriate missions that will give it to me.  I've tried hitting up all of the "official" federation corps at Lembava, Pikum, and Sothis, but the only missions that will give me rank I can't take because I'm not trade ranked high enough.  Aren't there any passenger missions that will give me rank since I've primarily been exploring?  Is there anything I can do?

ETA:  I know I need Petty Officer to get to Sol.  I just want to finally get on the Federation rank treadmill!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:15:29 PM by Big Gulp »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2084 on: June 13, 2018, 07:21:24 PM

Umm you don't need trade rank, you need faction rep with whatever the FED faction is you are looking at. My humble advice, head to Gang Yun and grab every data mission you find for Zhara (YOU WILL NEED A MEDIUM PAD SHIP)- flip the board if you have to. Then fly over to Zhana and deliver all of those and pick up everything for Gang Yun. Rinse and repeat like 3 times and you should be close to allied with all the factions at each station. Then it should pop and you'll have plenty of rep to pick it up. Do a bunch more and you'll be rear admiral in a few nights.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2085 on: June 13, 2018, 07:34:10 PM

Umm you don't need trade rank, you need faction rep with whatever the FED faction is you are looking at. My humble advice, head to Gang Yun and grab every data mission you find for Zhara (YOU WILL NEED A MEDIUM PAD SHIP)- flip the board if you have to. Then fly over to Zhana and deliver all of those and pick up everything for Gang Yun. Rinse and repeat like 3 times and you should be close to allied with all the factions at each station. Then it should pop and you'll have plenty of rep to pick it up. Do a bunch more and you'll be rear admiral in a few nights.

I guess I’m just not understanding how rank works...  I’ve done a ton of trade and passenger missions pretty much all out of Lembava.  I’ve already 100%ed my federation rep to ally.  I’ve got a type 7 hauler, a vulture, an orca, and an asp x, which is basically my daily driver.  Plus. 127mil in the bank.  If I haven’t already ranked with the federation then how the hell do you?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2086 on: June 13, 2018, 09:04:45 PM

I guess I’m just not understanding how rank works...  I’ve done a ton of trade and passenger missions pretty much all out of Lembava.  I’ve already 100%ed my federation rep to ally.  I’ve got a type 7 hauler, a vulture, an orca, and an asp x, which is basically my daily driver.  Plus. 127mil in the bank.  If I haven’t already ranked with the federation then how the hell do you?

Reputation is an independent value from Rank (although the rank missions refer to "Rep").

Your rank is with the Navy of the relevant superpower. To raise Federal Navy rank, you run missions that give REP+++ from any Federal aligned minor faction. Ignore similar missions from minor factions that are not Federal aligned. Generally they are data delivery type missions, or passenger missions. It's best to find a pair of systems where you can run the missions back and forth between the two systems, accepting as many missions as you can hold on each run (they stack). Each time you hand in a mission, choose the REP+++ reward where possible, or REP++ if that's not available.

For a long time, Sothis and Ceos were the two favoured systems to shuttle between for Federal rank, though I'm not sure how well they are working now. They are an isolated pair of systems so the missions are only to/from each other, nowhere else.

As you complete these missions, your Rank bar on the right-hand HUD will start to fill up.  Once you fill the Rank bar, you have to find and complete a mission whose name begins with "Federal Navy...", e.g. "Federal Navy Aquisition Contract...". It will be listed among the other usual missions. Completing one of those will cause your rank to tick over to the next level up.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2087 on: June 14, 2018, 12:05:46 AM

As I look at that shot, I see the issue ;  he has the rank ready to pop, he just needs to find a federation rank mission. 

Sometimes the rng fucks you and one doesn't pop for a while, but just keep scanning the boards and you'll see one.  It'll be labelled as a special fed navy mission.  Be aware, however, you're better at a station who likes you, 'cause it can generate and you're not 'friendly' enough to the home station to take it.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2088 on: June 14, 2018, 12:40:40 AM

Ironwood is right. You need that mission where the name begins with "Federal Navy..." something.

You might actually have enough rep/rank stored up for multiple ranks, but you need to do another "Federal Navy..." mission to get each one, until the Rank bar is not full.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2089 on: June 14, 2018, 04:37:16 AM

Yeah, at that level you'll almost certainly get Fed missions in a row if you're lucky.  Get your ass to a Fed station that loves you.  If it doesn't love you, hand in exploration data until it loves you.  That's how you get the women.   Bitches love exploration data.

On a related note, Sol is really pretty.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2090 on: June 14, 2018, 04:49:02 AM

Thanks so much, guys!  I'll just head to Lembava and flip the board till the appropriate mission pops.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2091 on: June 14, 2018, 04:50:34 AM

Earth doesn't look like Earth though. It looks like some random Earthlike planet. I cannot see my house. Or even my continent.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2092 on: June 14, 2018, 04:53:05 AM

Yeah, at that level you'll almost certainly get Fed missions in a row if you're lucky.  Get your ass to a Fed station that loves you.  If it doesn't love you, hand in exploration data until it loves you.  That's how you get the women.   Bitches love exploration data.

Actually, I just came back yesterday from a month long sightseeing mission near Sag A.  Detail scanned everything that was convenient/interesting along the way.  Made 85mil, and it took around 40 minutes just to turn everything in with the servers thinking and all.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2093 on: November 08, 2018, 06:21:00 AM

A little late to the party, but some of the changes coming down the pipe are interesting, especially the changes to mining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWEVJLaSaEY

I've been playing this a little lately as I found a guide on how to get the Guardian Booster and sorted it out fairly swiftly.  It was a lot of fun and really, really pumped up the range on my Python (phrasing).  That said, the boost to the DBX was negligible, so you should research if it's worth it to you first...

WayAbvPar

Reply #2094 on: November 10, 2018, 11:10:50 AM

That video makes me want to go grind up cash for a full mining setup ship (instead of swapping parts in and out like a dirty poor).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2095 on: November 10, 2018, 11:30:55 AM

I have two Pythons, Sumerian Dream is my shooty and Boreworm is my dedicated miner.  He drills. 

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2096 on: November 11, 2018, 04:40:26 PM

I was playing a lot until August. Intending to get back into it. I unlocked lots of engineers before I went away, including the Painite one, so the last thing I want to do at the moment is mining :) But I was continuing to refine my Asp Explorer, my exploration ship. I haven't even had time to make a combat ship or think about Thargoids.

What I want to happen, and what I'm guessing they have 100 people working on the game for, is an expansion that adds the Andromeda galaxy (reached via Raxxla, obviously).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2097 on: November 12, 2018, 03:46:39 AM

What's weird about it all is the Guardian Booster may change your mind about what's your exploration ship.  It used to be my ASP and then it was the DBX and now I'm not sure because I fitted that booster, as mentioned, to the Python and now he's fast as fuck and also a lot more substantial than either of the other two.

It's confusing times.

With all these module changes, I really just wish they'd release 'Module Splitters' so that you can turn Big Bays into smaller bays.  It could work like the vehicle bays right now where you put one into a 2 Section and suddenly you've got 2 1 sections.  I'm sure there would be balancing issues, but the one thing that's bothered me about this game since page One is not having a docking computer on ALL my ships.  I have things to do man !

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2098 on: November 12, 2018, 04:28:16 AM

What's weird about it all is the Guardian Booster may change your mind about what's your exploration ship.  It used to be my ASP and then it was the DBX and now I'm not sure because I fitted that booster, as mentioned, to the Python and now he's fast as fuck and also a lot more substantial than either of the other two.

It's confusing times.

With all these module changes, I really just wish they'd release 'Module Splitters' so that you can turn Big Bays into smaller bays.  It could work like the vehicle bays right now where you put one into a 2 Section and suddenly you've got 2 1 sections.  I'm sure there would be balancing issues, but the one thing that's bothered me about this game since page One is not having a docking computer on ALL my ships.  I have things to do man !

*gasp...

Don't let those pro-manual docking acolytes let you hear that... there will be outrage, outrage i say!

I still fire this up from time to time but I can't be fussed with all the new shit, get overwhelmed, then stuck, then fly the Cutter around to a few places and log out. If they start doing the splitter thing... I might want to shift my attention back.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2099 on: November 17, 2018, 08:35:05 AM

I haven't seen any mention of bay splitters, but they've made the exploration scanner module an integrated part of the ship, and it no longer requires a slot.  And I've seen repeated requests to combine limpet controllers into a single module, and also for the docking computer to become integrated, since technically it's just software.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: