Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:08:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662323 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1750 on: May 12, 2017, 12:53:53 AM

I'm fine with it too. If someone wants to multibox to be crew on their own ship to get an extra pip, fair play to them.  I literally have zero fucks to give about this shit anymore.

That said, I think I got the Deluxe pack back in the day and, frankly, I felt a little ripped off.  The Commanders Pack is a huge waste of money unless they've changed the contents since.  Paintjobs for ships you'll never use....

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1751 on: May 12, 2017, 01:05:53 AM

But you're not paying for it. Elite Dangerous is reduced to $20 at Humble. Horizons is reduced to $20. Deluxe, which is both of those plus the paint jobs that would otherwise be a rip-off,  is reduced to $40.

I agree with you about the multi boxing. I don't care. And if you run a game with no subscription fee, why would you stop people buying second accounts anyway.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1752 on: May 12, 2017, 02:15:28 AM

Fair enough if it's a freebie, but I stand by the point that you won't use it.  I bought a Viper specifically to give it a paintjob and then thought 'what the fuck am I doing ?'

Speaking of Multicrew, does anyone here actually wanna try it out ?  I really want to but don't wanna chance the 'retard' factor.

If you see me online and need a Gunner or anything, pop me a message.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #1753 on: May 12, 2017, 08:18:26 AM

I bought a Viper specifically to give it a paintjob and then thought 'what the fuck am I doing ?'

Wow are you trying to take the food from out of Croberts' mouth?

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1754 on: May 14, 2017, 07:38:11 AM

Got a level 4 FSD range upgrade on my Diamondback Explorer (Grasshopper). Fully A-rated it now has a 45.6 ly range. I think you could push this past 60 if you went all out gutting and engineering it. For me it's high enough though to explore comfortably. By comparison my AspX only gets 42 ly and that is with a level 5 FSD upgrade with a decent roll and d-rated components.

In the bubble I have a fully upgraded Python. So the Asp is sidelined for now.

Recent community goal was insane. Frontier extended it by two tiers and it still finished with 4 days left.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1755 on: May 17, 2017, 10:00:57 AM

Interesting Eurogamer article about the state of ED. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-11-the-state-of-elite-dangerous.

Interesting tidbit (no I'm not holding a grudge) "Harry Potter, aka British college student Josh Chamberlain, believes players are losing interest in Elite Dangerous simply because Frontier takes too long to make significant changes to the game, and when it does, many of the features it adds fall flat" Ohhhhh, I see.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1756 on: May 17, 2017, 11:25:27 AM

PS4 release was reported in Q2. Release date is on the deck for June 27th.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1757 on: May 17, 2017, 07:24:57 PM

As Frontier has made an official decal for Canonn Research (player group that was subject of recent community goal), Harry Potter asked Frontier tech support if they could do one for Smiling Dog Crew.

They sent him this:

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1758 on: May 22, 2017, 04:28:24 AM

I farmed the materials I needed to try for a few Level 5 FSD range rolls. With a very decent roll my DBX now has a jump range of 49.05 light years. Fully A-rated (well, except sensors and life support). This cuts the average number of jumps needed for a 1000 ly from 65 to 22.

It makes exploring suddenly feel very different. A 3000 ly stint to visit a few nebulae and return now feels like a short trip and it makes the prospect of travelling 10,000+ ly to visit Colonia or Sagittarius A* much less daunting.

I'm now confident that you could push the jump range of the DBX to 58 or even 60 light years if you d-rate it, strip it down and engineer every component, making it the second best in max jump range after the Anaconda (which you culd theoretically push to 62+ ly). I won't do that 49ly with a-rated components is more than enough for what I Need and it means that I can comfortably travel in this ship without making any compromises.

It also runs exceptionally cool and feels more nimble than te Asp (which handles like a bucket with d-rated thrusters). With unneccessary modules turned off the DBX runs at 18% heat and you can almost park it in the corona of a sun, scoop and charge FSD at the same time without overheating.

I'm currently half way to Sag A* and don't miss my Asp Explorer at all.

Additionally I recently got an invite to Möbius and I'm still getting used to encountering other Players after playing Solo for so Long.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1759 on: May 23, 2017, 01:29:02 PM

Interesting Eurogamer article about the state of ED. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-11-the-state-of-elite-dangerous.

Interesting tidbit (no I'm not holding a grudge) "Harry Potter, aka British college student Josh Chamberlain, believes players are losing interest in Elite Dangerous simply because Frontier takes too long to make significant changes to the game, and when it does, many of the features it adds fall flat" Ohhhhh, I see.

true on both counts. they spend a lot of time and effort designing a new mechanic and then it arrives and ... there's no hook, no cohesive mechanical implementation. it disappoints.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1760 on: May 24, 2017, 02:28:23 AM

Very true.  They need to work on things being 'sticky' in a way that they're not at the moment.

There are quite a few games like that right now, I think it's the way a lot of them are being developed.

Jeff, I love your 50ly DBX.  I want one.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1761 on: May 24, 2017, 02:37:07 AM

I don't necessarily disagree. It's mostly "an inch deep and a mile wide".

I don't think that Frontier has set aside a large team for Elite though. If I had to guess and from previous knowledge I'd say that FDev makes money from their other titles (Planet Coaster, their Edutainment products etc.) and that the playerbase and revenue stream from Elite only justifies a small team to keep things going. I guess if it weren't a "pet project" for FDev and especially Braben and they'd simply look at the numbers then E:D development would have been cancelled by now. They make significantly more from their other games.

There's one aspect where there is a fundamental disconnect between the vocal fan base and FDev though. I don't think that FDev sees Elite as an MMO game. The whole underlying design of systems and infrastructure - including the networking setup with small instances and peer-to-peer communication - points to this game being small scale multiplayer. I think they never expected the interactions in the game developing in the directions they did.

That's not intended as an apology. They should have expected that people backing their Kickstarter would have been fans of the previous games given that E:D doesn't even include all of the features of for example the Frontier games or that people would want to explore the massive galaxy. I don't think they have an idea or the resources necessary to cater to the demands of their fan base because it was never intended to be an MMO in the "classical" sense.

Thirdly their revenue model completely fell through. The seasons concept is dead, a significant number of players never purchased "Horizons" even though they still play the base game and I don't think that their ship kits and paint Jobs sell enough to Support further development of the game.

It's basically that their most rabid fans want a space MMO with a laundry list of features that includes everything and the kitchen sink while they actively oppose any attempt by FDev to open up revenue streams necessary for doing that. For a game the developer apparently never planned as a massive space MMO. So FDev neither has the systems in place, nor any ideas and concepts necessary and they also don't have a steady revenue stream or an idea how their business model should and can work going forward and therefore no means and probably also no interest to expand the Team in a way that would make this a possibility.

The Elite fan base is basically the opposite to Star citizen's fan base. They're still salty about a single ship (Cobra MK IV) being only available to pre order customers - even though it's shit. So Fdev wouldn't even be able to sell limited edition ships to people.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1762 on: May 24, 2017, 02:47:42 AM

Jeff, I love your 50ly DBX.  I want one.

With the 10% discount in Li Yong-Rui controlled systems it cost about 14 million credits on a 600k rebuy (including purchase price of the ship). All modules are a-rated, except sensors and life support and I have fitted a 4A fuel Scoop and a 4A AFMU and a SRV hangar. Means that I have no cargo space. If you stick to d-rated modules it's probably half of that.

The only engineered component is a level 5 FSD range upgrade which was the most annoying part because I first had to unlock Felicity Farseer and farm the materials necessary. Without the engineer upgrade the range would be 45 ly.

I'm now half way to Sag A*. Scooping takes a few seconds longer than with the ASP because the DBX can only fit a level 4 scoop while the ASP could potentially fit a level 6 scoop. The DBX runs much, much cooler though than my Asp.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1763 on: May 24, 2017, 05:11:17 AM

I've got the FSD stuff all unlocked as I used it on my other ships, notably the Asp.  That sounds quite cheap and I'm still swimming in money, so I'll probably grab myself one.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1764 on: May 24, 2017, 06:38:21 AM

It's definitely cheap enough to try it out and either Keep it or scrap it depending on whether you like it or not.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1765 on: May 24, 2017, 08:39:19 AM

There's a very vocal faction of E:D fans now that claim mission stacking in Quince is not simply a bug or a design flaw in FDevs mission system and that it should be considered an exploit instead including account bans for people doing it and taking away the credits earned.

Which means that playing the game and running missions is now considered to be an exploit since Quince is exposing one of the many design flaws of Elite's mission system.

- If the system is too far from populated space all mission triggers are generated in system (all missions start in Quince and end in Quince)
- if you accept multiple missions of the same type - with the exception of transport missions - only one mission is generated and all missions are triggered as complete if you complate that one mission.
- usually only one planet is designated as mission target for a certain type of mission

For example: If you stack surface scan missions that all go to the same system then only one mission target is generated and only one mission target is required to complete all missions.

This works anwhere not just in Quince. I did something similar in Wu Guinagi (stack 10 - 12 surface scan missions until mission limits are reached complete all by doing just one Mission)

If this is an exploit then just playing the game is.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1766 on: May 24, 2017, 08:45:58 AM

What's the beef ?  Why are these chaps feeling directly impacted ?

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1767 on: May 24, 2017, 12:53:24 PM

Something, something background simulation.

It's probably a "it took me a year to get to a Cutter and they get to do this in a week" situation.

Got bored and couldn't be arsed to engage with this silly argument
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1768 on: May 24, 2017, 06:25:36 PM

Its exactly the same as in every game. They don't want the rest of the world intruding on their elite status. In reality it doesn't matter a fuck if everyone in the world can fly a cutter if they want, but to these fuckers it means that THEY are not special anymore.

WHat they are doing is using exploits themselves, then closing those exploits so no-one else can get to their level.

I havent played this in a few weeks. not sure why I stopped .

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1769 on: May 25, 2017, 01:19:41 AM

My view is this :  This game has a solo mode.  They can get to FUCK with complaints about how 'our' game impacts on 'their' game.

RIGHT TO FUCK.

I bought my wee DBX (called 'Dervish') and it's nippy as fuck.  I don't really like flying it much, since it feels 'light', but you can't deny it can zip around the LY like fuck.  I have a 4 bay I need to fill with SOMETHING and given that I need Arsenic now, I'm guessing it's time to learn how to pilot an SRV.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1770 on: May 25, 2017, 02:14:30 AM

I called mine Grasshopper.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1771 on: May 25, 2017, 08:32:41 AM

Got to rank 5 FSD with Felicity, got bad rolls on the mats I'd gathered and ended up with a 41ly Asp. In frustration I rolled the rank 4 mats I'd accidentally gathered and got an amazing roll: now a 45ly Asp with only a rank 4 upgrade.

That's pretty pleasant, but I may put the FSD into a DBX and get out there too.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1772 on: May 28, 2017, 05:10:03 AM

Whinging seems to have worked. Quince is in lockdown yet again and tourist missions seem to be gone.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1773 on: May 30, 2017, 01:47:04 AM

The galactic core is really really beautiful. They way space lights up and is full of stars - also how the skybox gradually changes as you get closer - is really masterfully done. I don't know how realistic it is but I liked it a lot.

I'm now on the return trip from the core. When I return I will have travelled about 60 to 65,000 light years. Sag A* via Colonia and back with a few detours. I hope it will be enough to get me the rest of the way to Elite in exploration (I'm now at 41%). Probably not though because with the changes to exploration payouts FDev also changed the amount of exploration data you need to sell to get to max rank. (It's about double the amount: 300 million compared to 150 million before 2.3)

On my way to Colonia I scanned every star. I realized how pointless this is when I turned in the data. 2,000 - 3,000 credits per star (so about 4,500 max with first explorer's bonus) doesn't even remotely compare to the additional downtime nedded for the scan to complete. Finding just one black hole or neutron star or any sort of terraformable world is worth about twenty scans of main series stars.

Route finding is really, really annoying though. I get why they only allow 1,000 ly stints (route calculation is an NP complete type of problem so effort scales exponentially with the number of stops) but the galaxy map and route plotter lack some serious convenience features.

You have to be highly resistant to boredom though. The trip will have taken me about two weeks when I return and probably something about 40+ hours of actual play time. With basically nothing to do than watch glorfied loading screens and the occasional planet scan.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1774 on: May 30, 2017, 04:20:32 AM

Sounds fun.

awesome, for real

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1775 on: May 30, 2017, 04:57:57 AM

It sort of is, actually. It could be more fun if FDev actually thought out Features to the end.

Navigation and route plotting could be greatly improved. Ability to plot out routes of more than 1000 ly. better filtering. Route plotting that takes your fuel range into account (Drops you at a scoopable star at your last or second to last junp before empty)

Decrease downtimes. reduce scan times, increase scan ranges. Make it so I can select the entry point in multi star Systems. (no one bothers to scan planets 100,000 ls away). Make it so scanning systems is actually worthwile Right now scanning anything other than WW and ELW is pointless. Give the galaxy more variety, more to see. (There are no accretion discs, no stellar dynamics like a black hole "eating" a star, no real pulsars etc.)

Make it so exploration doesn't take literal weeks, at least give me an easy "this is boring I want to get back to the bubble" mode. There should be a way to greatly increase jump ranges without resulting to bugs (using the jet of a Neutron star was a bug FDev left in because it is so popular.

There's be lots of opportunities and with less than 1% of the galaxy discovered still enough Options for everyone who wants to explore the galaxy.

Right now the biggest drawback is actually the time Investment (7 to 10 hours of Play time to get to Colonia) and that each jump to a new system adds a lot of downtime.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1776 on: May 30, 2017, 06:05:23 AM

Wait, the neutron star thing is a bug ?   surely not.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1777 on: May 30, 2017, 06:38:23 AM

The 300% range boost given by neutron stars was. It should have been 25% for both white dwarves and neutron stars. They kept the 300% because of popular demand.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1778 on: May 30, 2017, 07:07:31 AM

Ah, that makes sense.   I thought you meant the whole thing, which would be an awesome example of emergent behaviour.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1779 on: May 31, 2017, 12:36:01 AM

I found a trinary system yesterday that had 2 Earth like worlds and 4 terraformable water worlds. Plus a few terraformable high metal content worlds. All unexplored.

I christened it Jackpot system.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1780 on: May 31, 2017, 08:19:26 PM

man i want some screenshots of that shit
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1781 on: June 02, 2017, 01:04:56 AM

Players were mining a barnacle. A Thargoid ship flew in and appeared to refuel from the barnacle.

There are some Reddit threads and a video.

Pleiades Sector OI-T C3-7
Planet A6
- 42.7793 -21.7215

Edit: You Know Who had first contact during a live stream.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:25:52 AM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1782 on: June 02, 2017, 01:27:02 AM

ACK!

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1783 on: June 02, 2017, 05:13:28 AM

Harry Potter = Gaius Baltar confirmed
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1784 on: June 02, 2017, 06:02:43 AM

So they are actually centering the game around a single player/player group? That seems odd.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: