Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:42:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662290 times)
Terracotta Army

Reply #1645 on: April 25, 2017, 09:23:22 AM

Yeah.  I've made about 50 million on it so far.  It's pretty insane.  I have a Python with nowt but cabins and a docking computer.  Hell, I may remove the DC because 90% of the time you have to fly manually in silent mode because you're carrying 'Captain Fuckstick, Intergalactic Fucko'.

How are you finding manual approach followed by docking comp?

Mine seems to actively try and crash me in the bay in protest for not being allowed to bring the ship in
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1646 on: April 25, 2017, 09:45:09 AM

Once I'm through the slot, hitting the DC brings me in nicely every time. 

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1647 on: April 25, 2017, 11:06:38 AM

I've tried a few missions last night and god is this shit half assed even for FDev Standards.

I really dislike FDev's notion of how to gauge effort and difficulty and therefore mission payouts. Missions with decent payouts are walled off by arbitrary preconditions ("you need to be friendly with this two factions and have an explorer rank of godlike) or include a ridiculous list of caveats, like: "please transport this crime boss who is wanted in 20 systems across half the bubble to visit 7 sights and return. You have 2 hours and he's hunted by half the police in this sector.

The system itself is very broken. There is no hint and no feedback how to complete mission objectives. In my first mission I stayed at the beacon for nearly ten minutes with no clue or way to check if my objective was met. The message came 20 minutes later after I was already half way back to the station.

Sometimes you can't complete a mission because an optional objective is still open. I once couldn't complete a mission because the person was wanted and the event that spawns his pursuers was already triggered, even though I completed everything else. Had to leave the station again and trigger the interdiction.

Missions also rely entirely too much on smuggler tactics for difficulty. Most VIP missions have at least a "doesn't want to be scanned' or 'may be wanted' attribute. I'd wish they had more variety without relying on cheap difficulty and flagging everything with the need to do silent runs and heatsink launchers.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1648 on: April 25, 2017, 03:00:27 PM

I've tried a few missions last night and god is this shit half assed even for FDev Standards.

I've only ever previously bothered with A to B passenger missions and avoided anything multi-hop and/or long distance (I know they pay well but :effort:)

I've seen enough questions about passenger missions on the Reddit to appreciate the difficulties you describe though.

The Quince ones are simple in that you are just scanning (targeting) a visitor beacon in the same system and landing again - granted you do have to be careful about not being scanned if you aren't picky about who you transport but I've found silent running to be enough any not needed and heat sink malarky.

Faction rep is a barrier to entry for all missions everywhere and, at Quince, you may need to do some scan missions/trade goods/sell cartographic data/do donate missions to unlock the better paying ones (I've found selling the cartographic gathered on the way and scan missions to be enough to get started).

Your explorer rank simply provides the baseline for the payments offered (you seem to be able to be offered missions up to 2 ranks higher than your current one)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1649 on: April 25, 2017, 03:23:17 PM

I went over to Sothis a month or so ago, and it has missions to the beacon in the system as well. But it wasn't giving any payout for the missions, so I didn't bother, and left.

Maybe they have a minimum payout? vOv
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:25:31 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1650 on: April 25, 2017, 03:44:15 PM

How are you finding manual approach followed by docking comp?

Mine seems to actively try and crash me in the bay in protest for not being allowed to bring the ship in

I always use a docking computer. I find they behave much the same as in the 1984 game. I can land manually, but I don't see the point in spending more of my own time at the controls, especially when doing a trading loop.

When I drop from supercruise, I boost to within 7.5km of the station, request docking and drop speed so the docking computer kicks in. Then I relax.

It has only failed me once ever, when I gave it an awkward starting angle quite close to a Coriolis station. It missed the whole entrance structure and smacked into the side of the station, regathered itself, flew out and turned around and docked. I was up for a couple of thousand credits in repair. This is about the same error rate as in the 1980s. Occasionally it is a little slow at lining up, but if I give it a good starting angle, it has no problem.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:45:59 PM by Tale »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1651 on: April 25, 2017, 04:04:27 PM

Missions with decent payouts are walled off by arbitrary preconditions ("you need to be friendly with this two factions and have an explorer rank of godlike)

Faction rank yes, but I don't think you actually need the explorer rank specified. It just warns you that technically it's above your pay grade.

or include a ridiculous list of caveats, like: "please transport this crime boss who is wanted in 20 systems across half the bubble to visit 7 sights and return. You have 2 hours and he's hunted by half the police in this sector.

It's a trap. I avoid those. There's almost always a mission with a better set of parameters. If not, take a crap mission to another system and check a mission board there.

The system itself is very broken. There is no hint and no feedback how to complete mission objectives. In my first mission I stayed at the beacon for nearly ten minutes with no clue or way to check if my objective was met. The message came 20 minutes later after I was already half way back to the station.

Weird. That isn't happening to me. If it's a beacon, you target and scan it (wait while it scans) and you get a message from it (and/or from the passenger to say "Thanks, now I've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. Bring me 3 units of Beer.").

The lack of instructions for everything in the game is really annoying though. I learn how to do things almost entirely from forum posts, wiki articles and YouTube videos. They build everything undocumented and effectively rely on a crowdsourced user manual.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1652 on: April 25, 2017, 04:30:05 PM

A player made an awesome trailer using the new camera system.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1653 on: April 25, 2017, 04:36:33 PM

Today's patch seemed to have fixed most of my issues. Had no issues running travel missions tonight
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1654 on: April 26, 2017, 03:41:17 PM

Well, I went out in my type 9 tonight. Yeah, its a whale. I had to upgrade the thrusters to B (17 mill!) to make it somewhat flyable. But now it basically feels like the type 7, except slower. If I eventually get he 7A thrusters there is a faint chance it might get enjoyable to fly, but now its ok to fly as a truck while podcasts play.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1655 on: April 26, 2017, 07:12:38 PM

In about 45 minutes with a couple of "oops I ran into the sun" emergency braking moments, my Asp ran a rich tourist 90ly one way, then 120ly the other way, for 2.8 million. As the first step, we dropped off some one-way tourists nearby for 650k, so I got about 3.5 million all up.

I am at the point where I thought I would buy and outfit a Type 7 (I liked my A-rated Type 6), but the trade loops don't look like they would pay as reliably as the above.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1656 on: April 26, 2017, 07:24:34 PM

Lets put it this way. I was earning 1.9 mill per loop tonight with a 488 ton cargo hold, on a 8 jump round trip. Its not bad when you have a ship worth 100 mill I guess (though as noted the ship was sluggish as hell, so docking took a couple of minutes), but with a type 7 you will be getting around a 212 cargo hold, which means you would be earning less than half that on the same loop.

There is no comparison, really. Keep ferrying those passengers.

*edit* Yeah, I agree with you, the type 6 was tremendous fun to fly, as it was agile as all hell. The later types are bricks though.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:54:04 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1657 on: April 26, 2017, 08:53:19 PM

but with a type 7 you will be getting around a 212 cargo hold, which means you would be earning less than half that on the same loop.

But an unengineered Type 7 with an A-rated FSD can jump about 17ly laden, so I wouldn't be doing the same loop. Set up like this I calculate 1,046,064 profit on the best current loop with a 17ly range (min supply/demand 1500, price age 2 days, my location Yembo).

Maybe that would make more money than ferrying passengers, at the expense of some sanity.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:27:31 PM by Tale »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1658 on: April 26, 2017, 09:02:13 PM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1659 on: April 26, 2017, 09:03:34 PM

5D Thrusters on a Type 7?

Um, yes, looks fine. Go ahead, tell us how it works out. The experience will be good for you. this guy looks legit

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1660 on: April 26, 2017, 09:04:15 PM

5D Thrusters on a Type 7?

Um, yes, looks fine. Go ahead, tell us how it works out. The experience will be good for you. this guy looks legit

Haha okay that was someone else's setup. I'll install 5A for you.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1661 on: April 27, 2017, 07:25:20 AM

Wanted to buy a Python next. Unfortunately it collides with my pet peeve and inability. Seating position is not center of cockpit.

I can't deal with that. Tried it with the Cobra and it irritated me the whole time. I always flew into things or got confused because I always reset to 'well I obviously sit in the middle' mode. The field of view in the cockpit makes it so that it always seems like you're dead center even when you sit on the left.

It's a silly problem, I know.

Well I guess I have to wait until I have enough money for an Anaconda then
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1662 on: April 27, 2017, 07:49:33 AM

The two ships aren't really comparable though.  I have a trading Anaconda (It's a goddamn MONSTER) and a Passenger Python and the Python is a lovely nippy wee bugger that can do loads - transport, trading, fighting, the lot.  The Anaconda scares the hell out of me.  It's huge and expensive and the rebuy alone is scary as shit and because it's a whale, it's something I tend not to touch rather than the Python.  You think you're bothered by not being in the middle ?  Wait till you're not in the middle because you're HIGH AS HELL and you scrape your goddamn hull on the docking every time because you pretty much have to try to scrape your head !

Also, just to chime in on the other argument, my Anaconda trades a shitload of tons and even with slaves it in NO WAY compares to the sheer amount of cash I can generate with passenger missions.

There's literally no bigger earner than passenger missions except MAYBE combat.  And I'm a massive pussy at combat, so I tend not to.  It's just too frustrating when some shit gets in lucky and you die and lose all your bounties.  

Edit;  Whale, not while.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:54:24 PM by Ironwood »

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1663 on: April 27, 2017, 08:05:30 AM

Old news (about a week IIRC) I'm afraid, since then 2 generation ships (with audio logs) have been found (as well as a few other megaships without any logs).

However the generation ships are unrelated to the Zurara which is part of the Formadine Rift 'mystery' for which an in-game 'event' is happening on the 29th.....

In other news 3rd party tool sites strike in protest at FDev communication https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/67v44q/support3rdparty_why_we_temporarily_shut_down_our/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:07:35 AM by 5150 »
Terracotta Army

Reply #1664 on: April 27, 2017, 08:09:58 AM

Wanted to buy a Python next. Unfortunately it collides with my pet peeve and inability. Seating position is not center of cockpit.

I can't deal with that. Tried it with the Cobra and it irritated me the whole time. I always flew into things or got confused because I always reset to 'well I obviously sit in the middle' mode. The field of view in the cockpit makes it so that it always seems like you're dead center even when you sit on the left.

It's a silly problem, I know.

Well I guess I have to wait until I have enough money for an Anaconda then

Personally I've found that where the Python is larger it's less noticible than on the Cobra (unless you are mouse looking around the cockit)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1665 on: April 27, 2017, 08:46:08 AM

The python has a line down the right sode of your view that you can try to pretend is the other side of the view, so its bearable on the Python - ish. But yeah I find offset cockpits to be unbearable too. That's one of the reasons I decided not to bother with the Imperial grind, as the top ship has a 2 seat cockpit too.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:57:35 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1666 on: April 27, 2017, 11:37:52 AM

The two ships aren't really comparable though.  I have a trading Anaconda (It's a goddamn MONSTER) and a Passenger Python and the Python is a lovely nippy wee bugger that can do loads - transport, trading, fighting, the lot.  The Anaconda scares the hell out of me.  It's huge and expensive and the rebuy alone is scary as shit and because it's a while, it's something I tend not to touch rather than the Python.  You think you're bothered by not being in the middle ?  Wait till you're not in the middle because you're HIGH AS HELL and you scrape your goddamn hull on the docking every time because you pretty much have to try to scrape your head !

Also, just to chime in on the other argument, my Anaconda trades a shitload of tons and even with slaves it in NO WAY compares to the sheer amount of cash I can generate with passenger missions.

There's literally no bigger earner than passenger missions except MAYBE combat.  And I'm a massive pussy at combat, so I tend not to.  It's just too frustrating when some shit gets in lucky and you die and lose all your bounties. 

The anaconda's bridge sits completely differently than most any other ship (corvette's cockpit sit roughly the same?). Most ships cockpits sit up in front unlike the conda which sits towards the rear - that leads to completely different ways of controlling the ship especially in tight spots. Given the 'progression' in ships, moving to the conda is a huge leap not only in price, but style of flying - which is risky given it's cost (upgrading and insurance).

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1667 on: April 28, 2017, 01:11:36 PM

Why's there always a Beluga blocking the slot when you try to enter or exit a station these days. I swear these things just materialize right there.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1668 on: April 28, 2017, 01:48:24 PM

the saud krueger ships should be ships you can only purchase for hundreds of dollars in the game's cash store.

it would make perfect sense.

they're all whales
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1669 on: April 28, 2017, 02:28:27 PM

Pro moment yesterday; Trying to Exit a station in a type 9 when a Cutter was trying to enter. We met in the middle. Hilarity ensues.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1670 on: April 28, 2017, 02:57:14 PM

Heads up: massive in-game events happening this weekend.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1671 on: April 28, 2017, 05:09:45 PM

Pro moment yesterday; Trying to Exit a station in a type 9 when a Cutter was trying to enter. We met in the middle. Hilarity ensues.

200 Credit Fine: Reckless Flying
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1672 on: April 28, 2017, 05:10:31 PM

Heads up: massive in-game events happening this weekend.

I'll stay away from open. Also the servers will probably be shit.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1673 on: April 28, 2017, 10:36:21 PM

The thought of jumping a combat ready ship out there is making be say fuck that.

Hic sunt dracones.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1674 on: April 29, 2017, 09:45:22 AM

Going by things on Reddit and the official forums the event is already a veritable shitshow.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1675 on: April 29, 2017, 03:22:23 PM

I gather from Reddit that the players defending Salome (the event's key NPC) allowed griefer guild Smiling Dog Crew (SDC) into the defence effort and their most hated member CMDR Harry Potter killed Salome. Given that there are articles like this about their organised griefing it seems incredible that this level of fail was achieved.

The author who writes the official Elite Dangerous novels in which Salome is the main character had promised to write the outcome into the books, so it's now quite funny that she was killed by Harry Potter.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1676 on: April 29, 2017, 04:43:19 PM

Love when a game gets to the point where only a select subset of the player base are actually able to control everything. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...

Now to get over this dumb shit event, can Frontier please get a target on the PS4 release?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #1677 on: April 29, 2017, 06:18:01 PM

so, the events and even the abandoned ships and stuff are only accessible in open play where a few assholes can spoil the fun for everyone else? How incredibly stupid, yet not at all surprising.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Terracotta Army

Reply #1678 on: April 29, 2017, 08:13:45 PM

so, the events and even the abandoned ships and stuff are only accessible in open play where a few assholes can spoil the fun for everyone else? How incredibly stupid, yet not at all surprising.

Eerily similar to GTA with the CEO and biker shit. Can only do those types of missions in open.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1679 on: April 29, 2017, 09:04:29 PM

I gather from Reddit that the players defending Salome (the event's key NPC) allowed griefer guild Smiling Dog Crew (SDC) into the defence effort and their most hated member CMDR Harry Potter killed Salome. Given that there are articles like this about their organised griefing it seems incredible that this level of fail was achieved.

The author who writes the official Elite Dangerous novels in which Salome is the main character had promised to write the outcome into the books, so it's now quite funny that she was killed by Harry Potter.

The very brigand who struck down Jeff Kelly! Truly his villainy grows...

And honestly, except for having the change the name, I would imagine fictionalizing how a pirate group infiltrated the defense forces and treacherously struck down their leader wouldn't be that bad a story at all.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: