Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662305 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1610 on: April 21, 2017, 03:04:33 AM

Yeah, fuck that shit.  It's like no-one understands what Raph was talking about at all. 

There's no downside to being an utter fucking retard in Open and huge downside to, you know, attempting to play the game.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1611 on: April 21, 2017, 03:49:29 AM

Yeah, fuck that shit.  It's like no-one understands what Raph was talking about at all. 

Reading the ED subreddit or the official forums is 'interesting'. Gankers, PKs and antisocial assholes are not only openly bragging about what they do, they seem to have convinced most of the people and the dev team that what they are doing is a legitimate playstyle.

Combat logging is a bannable offense while griefing players in the starting area is not. One of the loudest and most obnoxious guilds - SCP - has members with YouTube and Twitch channels including videos titled 'ganking noobs', who doxx and harass other players and who have even hijacked charity streams 'for the lulz'. They are not only still able to play, they can openly use the official forums to brag about what they do and to intimidate players who beg Frontier to take a much more active stance on griefers and arseholes. The 'victims' who still play open act like people in abused relationships, defending the griefers, putting blame on themselves and rationalizing the behavior of those people.

Meanwhile the biggest chunk of players is playing in private groups or in single. The biggest private group has 20,000 members and s strict PVE policy and almost all guilds and streamers exclusively play private groups.

If you enable antisocial behaviour only arseholes remain and the normal players leave. It's exactly as if no one understands anything Raph is telling us for two decades now.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1612 on: April 21, 2017, 03:50:54 AM

THEN WE ARE IN VIOLENT AGREEMENT !

Terracotta Army

Reply #1613 on: April 21, 2017, 05:06:21 AM

Reading the ED subreddit or the official forums is 'interesting'. Gankers, PKs and antisocial assholes are not only openly bragging about what they do, they seem to have convinced most of the people and the dev team that what they are doing is a legitimate playstyle.

Combat logging is a bannable offense while griefing players in the starting area is not. One of the loudest and most obnoxious guilds - SCP - has members with YouTube and Twitch channels including videos titled 'ganking noobs', who doxx and harass other players and who have even hijacked charity streams 'for the lulz'. They are not only still able to play, they can openly use the official forums to brag about what they do and to intimidate players who beg Frontier to take a much more active stance on griefers and arseholes. The 'victims' who still play open act like people in abused relationships, defending the griefers, putting blame on themselves and rationalizing the behavior of those people.

Meanwhile the biggest chunk of players is playing in private groups or in single. The biggest private group has 20,000 members and s strict PVE policy and almost all guilds and streamers exclusively play private groups.

If you enable antisocial behaviour only arseholes remain and the normal players leave. It's exactly as if no one understands anything Raph is telling us for two decades now.

And they [may be] going to run a plot event on the 29th in open!

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/66khta/event_on_the_29th_of_april_feedback_sought/
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1614 on: April 21, 2017, 06:30:57 AM

"We are not convinced we can rely on the entire open community to 'honour the rules of fair conduct'".  rolleyes why so serious?
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1615 on: April 21, 2017, 11:45:57 AM

There is no downside that I know of in going Solo, or Friends Only. This is one of the things I think ED got right. If you don't want to play with the assholes, then don't.

I don't, and in fact I wouldn't even know they exist if it weren't for posts like the Jeff's.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1616 on: April 21, 2017, 11:50:34 AM

If I am doing something in my lesser traveled parts of the bubble, I would like seeing the occasional pilot flying past. Makes me feel less lontly out there

If I am going somewhere where there will be a lot of people, then I engage my solo cloak. Hell I did it when I reached Jacques Station, 20000 LY away. No effing way am I trusting a crowd on the internet.

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1617 on: April 21, 2017, 01:30:56 PM

The griefers haven't "won". They simply created a hostile content that doesn't sound popular but is always in demand, even moreso these days with the very popular Ultima Online clones from DayZ to Rust.
So, since there are solo play AND group play (Trammel) which are 100% safe, the griefers made sure there is an OPTIONAL Felucca. Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:33:03 PM by Falconeer »

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1618 on: April 21, 2017, 02:59:26 PM

You can do community goals in single? Counterintuitive but welcome.

There is no single-player mode in Elite Dangerous. Effectively it's all instanced on the same servers. Solo is an instance by yourself. Group is an instance with your friends. Open is an instance with the other randoms. Switch between them as you see fit; they're all connected.

Half the stuff on the boards is people who think it's a choice between single player, being in a gaming club, or playing an MMO. It's all of those at once depending on who you want to be able to encounter.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1619 on: April 21, 2017, 05:29:29 PM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1620 on: April 21, 2017, 05:57:47 PM

That was Hi-larious.  awesome, for real

Especially as i am probably going to get my hands on a type 9 soon.

Another thing i'f seem people do is launch and then sit there for 10 minutes till the station blows them up. Why? Because if people are using autodocking, that will leave them sitting outside the station as "they are in the queue." Its passive griefing but hey.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1621 on: April 22, 2017, 03:50:21 AM

I think that makes the 3rd time you've landed that on us and it makes me laugh like a hyena every time.   why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1622 on: April 22, 2017, 08:36:51 AM

I'm feeling like I need to give this another try.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1623 on: April 22, 2017, 03:28:22 PM

Someone was asking me if I'd recommend it and I found myself wondering. Clearly I love it, but I could use more... things.

What are you missing the most and would love to see in the game? Or, if you were in charge of the next expansion, what would you put into it?

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1624 on: April 22, 2017, 09:27:04 PM

Someone was asking me if I'd recommend it and I found myself wondering. Clearly I love it, but I could use more... things.

What are you missing the most and would love to see in the game? Or, if you were in charge of the next expansion, what would you put into it?

I would love some way to keep growing once you get the ship you want (cutter in my case). Something like how the X games did it with player owned stations and npc ships.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1625 on: April 23, 2017, 02:14:22 AM

IMHO it's the same as the 1980s Elite, but better. Nothing is on rails for you to follow. It's the year 3303 as your sandbox. It has a vast number of "things". The people who are bored of it have many hundreds of hours of gameplay, but they haven't done everything. They've just done the things they want more of.

I'd recommend the 1980s Elite, so I recommend Elite: Dangerous more. Steam claims I have 296 hours now, some of which is probably just being logged in and AFK, but I feel I'm only getting started.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1626 on: April 23, 2017, 02:36:31 AM

I have done the Commander thing now (I look great, but old) and I've named some of my ships and even chucked a couple of quid at Braben so I have nameplates showing the names.  I've also joined a big PVE guild just so it's not always so lonesome.

I also made a couple of mill before getting blown away by the cops for Smuggling Obi-Wan and Luke.  Dammit.

I agree that this games does need 'MORE' to be honest, but they're working on it and, much like Tale, it works for me for the moment.  I truly DO want something 'offline' and 'X-ey' whether that's stations of NPC tradeships. That said, I enjoy it for what it is and it doesn't have a sub, so why should I care ?

If there was one real complaint is that it seriously needs more ingame handholding to be available.  The amount of 3rd party websites and stuff I need to lookup is STUPID.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1627 on: April 23, 2017, 04:20:04 AM

Do you know how much military grade composite costs on a type 9. I do. 63 fucking mill. *Triggered*

400 shield though.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? 5A shield + 4 boosters. Pity the ship is a fucking whale as I really could not afford the top end thrusters. Oh well. Time to earn some creds.

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1628 on: April 23, 2017, 05:05:09 AM

and I am still waiting on the god damn PS4 release... 4 months, still not a peep.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1629 on: April 23, 2017, 06:34:29 AM

Join the PC master race, scrub.  awesome, for real

Hic sunt dracones.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1630 on: April 23, 2017, 07:33:26 AM

Join the PC master race, scrub.  awesome, for real

PS4 might be a good idea if they decide to (properly) support Playstation VR for ED.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1631 on: April 23, 2017, 07:39:25 AM

Do you know how much military grade composite costs on a type 9. I do. 63 fucking mill. *Triggered*

400 shield though.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? 5A shield + 4 boosters. Pity the ship is a fucking whale as I really could not afford the top end thrusters. Oh well. Time to earn some creds.

Why Huh

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1632 on: April 23, 2017, 12:09:21 PM

Just so you're all aware, there's a money making passenger exploit in Quince.  I'm too moral for it, but it works a friend says it works.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1633 on: April 23, 2017, 04:27:54 PM

I'm finding passenger missions in general are my best money-making option now (I have about ~30 million total). I downgraded to a Dolphin for a while to do the luxury cabin ones, but I'm back in an Asp Explorer because there's not enough of a difference income-wise.

Boom states seem to be full of wealthy people who want to go 1-2 places in space within 100ly for ~1.6 million. If there's none of those, I get the best available one-way passenger mission to another system and retry there.

Some passengers demand 3 units of consumer technology or whatever along the way, but all they offer is an extra 50k, so I don't bother meeting their demands unless the item is available on the starting system's market.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1634 on: April 23, 2017, 07:14:05 PM

Why Huh

Becasue if I didn't buy a type 9 it would be bugging me that I had not bought it and I would be wondering what its like. I know intulectually that what its like is "Utter shit" but I just need to experience the horror. I know myself at this point.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1635 on: April 24, 2017, 12:10:51 AM

It was my worst experience.  Its an awful ship. Luke, truly bad.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1636 on: April 24, 2017, 03:05:44 AM

There's a pretty large price gap between the Asp Explorer and the next non-faction multipurpose ship, the Python. The ASP costs 6.6 million credits, the Python 56.9 million. The same goes for the gap between the Python and the Anaconda at 146.9 million credits. I wish there was a better progression in terms of ships. The only non-faction ships between the Asp and the Python are the Fer-De-Lance, the Orca and the Type 7 and they're all not that great.

It's even worse going from the Python to the Anaconda, because the only alternatives are the Beluga and the Type 9.

Also why are the imperial vessels all pretty good multipurpose ships and the federation just pretty bland combat vessels?
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1637 on: April 24, 2017, 03:49:27 AM

I like the changes to exploration payouts.

Re-did my trip to Maia (in private play) while using 'economical' routing. Made about 4.5 million credits just from 'pinging' systems with my discovery scanner and scanning a few water worlds. Made more on exploration than with the missions to and from Maia.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1638 on: April 24, 2017, 03:56:05 AM

Yeah, I have a Python, Anaconda, Asp, Mining Type-7 and a wee Sidey.

Or, as they're now known ; Sumerian Dream, Galadriel, Cleopatra, Mr Smashy and Wee Nippy.

I do love that you can now name your ships.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1639 on: April 24, 2017, 03:56:29 AM

I like the changes to exploration payouts.

Re-did my trip to Maia (in private play) while using 'economical' routing. Made about 4.5 million credits just from 'pinging' systems with my discovery scanner and scanning a few water worlds. Made more on exploration than with the missions to and from Maia.

What were the changes ? 

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1640 on: April 24, 2017, 04:27:02 AM

They increased payouts across the board, especially for water and terraformable worlds.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1641 on: April 24, 2017, 04:51:28 AM

Nice.  I usually just Honk the system and then bug out, since it's never really worth the time to scan the individuals.  I may make time from now on !

That said, after my last success, I'm going to head back to the Coalsack at some point and piss on some planets to mark them as mine.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1642 on: April 24, 2017, 04:05:47 PM

I just have to say that flying an Anaconda in VR is amazing.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1643 on: April 25, 2017, 05:05:53 AM

Just so you're all aware, there's a money making passenger exploit in Quince.  I'm too moral for it, but it works a friend says it works.

Exploit is a strong word - technically I'd say it's poor coding.

What makes Quince special is that it's far enough away from other inhabited systems that nearly all of the missions you get in Qunice have the target system of Quince.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:19:48 AM by 5150 »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1644 on: April 25, 2017, 07:07:43 AM

Yeah.  I've made about 50 million on it so far.  It's pretty insane.  I have a Python with nowt but cabins and a docking computer.  Hell, I may remove the DC because 90% of the time you have to fly manually in silent mode because you're carrying 'Captain Fuckstick, Intergalactic Fucko'.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: