Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:37:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662354 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1540 on: March 05, 2017, 10:58:43 PM

A great screenshot collection 1
A great screenshot collection 2

In other news, I finally found some time to sink into Elite: Dangerous's learning curve and properly play it.

Followed a suggestion to sell the noob cargo hold, install a fuel scoop, and use it to immediately get out of Dodge and go to a high-tech system. Found the nearest high-tech system, Yembo, 13 jumps away. Was basically familiar with fuel scooping from the 1984 game, and once I got my head around flying properly, I was underway.

Scooping after the 12th jump, my ship started heating up crazy fast. I couldn't figure out why. I couldn't seem to stop heating up, no matter how hard I tried to fly away from the sun. My only way out was to perform the 13th jump. Frame shift drive charging... charging... charging... I finally jump with a heat level over 300%.

Appear in the 13th system, fly away from the sun, cool down, cool down... too late, too hot, my ship explodes! And I am all the way back at the starting system. Ah yes, I remember this from the 1980s... dock to save. Welcome back to Elite!

Made it back to system #12 and landed before bed. A booming mining and industrial system, Yu Di Yi. The spaceport, Aksyonov Orbital, was like nothing I'd seen so far... boom time, dozens of ships everywhere, big cargo vessels going in and out. The landing control guy spoke. He sounded all sarcastic and Russian. Hooked. If I had the time.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1541 on: March 06, 2017, 01:18:08 AM

What type of sun was it ?  Bear in mind some of them, especially the new Neutron ones and shit, are just large flamey balls of death that you really, really need to stay away from.

Also, the Frame Shift Drive throws the heat up by huge amounts, so it's not an optimal escape plan.   By the sounds of it, you found the shortcut key to silent running though.  Which is kinda funny.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1542 on: March 06, 2017, 03:46:00 AM

You can only scoop fuel from certain types of stars (http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Fuel_Scoop). The longer you scoop the more your ship will heat up (as designated on the bar graph on the left side of your radar). Heat levels will also show up on your HUD if the fuel scoop is active. You should probably stop scooping when heat levels reach about 80% so that you have still time to get some distance between your ship and the star in order for your ship to cool off. Basically if you're reasonably close to a star and you don't get the "Fule Scoop activated" announcement you probably can't get fuel from that particular type of star.

Non-scoopable stars usually generate ridiculous amounts of heat and the best recommendation is to get the hell out of dodge as soon as possible.

Also don't drop from "Supercruise" mode. Fuel scooping only works in Supercruise (the mode activated by pressing 'J' while you're in a System.)

Your "Frame Shift Drive" also generates lots of heat when you jump to another system so make sure you've cooled off before. I'd also recommend heat sink launchers as an upgrade for those "Oh Shit it's getting hot quickly" moments.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1543 on: March 06, 2017, 04:17:32 AM

If you hit the FSD while a star is red in your radar you will suck up massive amounts of heat. you can hit the jump key again to cancel it and cool down if you screw up.

Bigger stars have bigger safe ranges.

Hic sunt dracones.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1544 on: March 06, 2017, 05:16:36 AM

KGB FOAM is the memory shortcut I like for scoopable stars.  why so serious?
Terracotta Army

Reply #1545 on: March 06, 2017, 05:22:57 AM

So I've _almost_ finished the grind to Cutter (30-odd% Marquis) and have started to think about how I'm going to bankroll the Cutter hull purchase and fitting (I've got 150mil liquid and my hardly-fitted Python currently). I don't have any aspirations with the Cutter out of the gate other than being able to bulk trade for cash while being able to escape anything that can kill me.

Given how the ED Reddit goes on about stacking massacre missions when Draconis goes to war I figured I'd try it with the war Wu/HIP sees quite frequently (with the added bonus of getting the combat bonds for that Ishmaal(sp?) engineer guy) but I've not got a clue what ship to use or how tanky it needs to be for either the low or high combat zones.

I've got a couple of ideas but wondered if people had any input?

Option 1: Stick with the Python - I have 5A Prismatic, 3x class 1 beams (no mods) and 2x class 2 multi cannons (got The Blaster to G5 but don't have the materials to get corrosive on either yet) but otherwise it's stock - hope not to lose it often

Option 2: [Near] Max out something cheap like a Cobra/Viper and don't worry about losing it

Option 3 - Get somethng in between 1 & 2 cost wise (Clipper/Vulture?)

Or just builk trade in the stock Cutter......
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #1546 on: March 06, 2017, 07:51:03 AM

I've had good luck with my decked out Vulture in Wu/HIP combat zones.  I switched to the 5C prismatic shields because 5A takes too long to charge.  You can swoop in, kill 1 or 2, then get out to the edge of the conflict and rinse and repeat.

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes large capital ships still jump in to low intensity zones.  I was trying to escape last night and an elite python jumped in and took out the last of my shields, then destroyed my thrusters in 2 hits.  I was fortunate to be able to go on momentum and float out of the zone after about 5 minutes.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1547 on: March 06, 2017, 08:59:11 AM

I found my Python could pretty much handle anything when decked out for combat.

I hated the Vulture. 

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1548 on: March 06, 2017, 09:24:22 AM

Noticed that I had forgotten to claim credits for abandoned settlement location package (as I was checking to see if I had killed enough enemies for powerplay). Luckily didn't manage to die before claiming it.  awesome, for real

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1549 on: March 06, 2017, 05:00:51 PM

I don't know what it is about the Vulture but I don't like it. I feel more comfortable flying my ASP even in dogfghts in hires zones. Even though the Vulture should be more cmbat capable.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1550 on: March 06, 2017, 05:35:52 PM

My first advice to someone who doesn't like the flight profile of the vulture is to get a fuckin' Courier and boost-strafe people at high speed.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1551 on: March 06, 2017, 06:43:57 PM

I liked the Vulture, except every time my shields dropped my windshield disappeared. Sometimes even before the shields dropped. It was like driving a Ford Ranger in space.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1552 on: March 06, 2017, 07:42:12 PM

I liked the Vulture, except every time my shields dropped my windshield disappeared. Sometimes even before the shields dropped. It was like driving a Ford Ranger in space.
It needs a beefy AFMU, at the very least.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1553 on: March 06, 2017, 08:36:04 PM

I will need to figure out what turrets are best for multicrew gunnery. I'm assuming potentially that it would be beam turrets with Efficient, but I do not know.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1554 on: March 07, 2017, 03:53:43 AM

My experience with a Vulture summed up: Go to a resource extraction site (low). Engage a 'mostly harmless' Eagle pilot in a wing. Constantly battle against overheating and the ridiculous low power budget of the Type 4 power plant. Lose the canopy halfway through. Manage to lose shields and a significant portion of the hull in the process.

Granted I'm not a very good pilot and there are people that absolutely love the Vulture and they seem like thzey can handle it. It's not for me though. I actually manage better in my Asp Explorer kitted out for exploration and mission running than I do in a Vulture.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1555 on: March 07, 2017, 07:01:57 AM

So glad I'm not the only one then.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1556 on: March 07, 2017, 07:10:59 AM

I'm also well into the not very good pilot camp and instead I cheese it with a turret-cutter which I more or less park into the CZ and let the turrets (and npc fighter) to do most of the fighting.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1557 on: March 07, 2017, 08:00:43 AM

Only drawback I have found with the Vulture is the limited power it has. Even turning off non-essentials limits your weapons.. and while they are nice large hardpoints, you only get two and still are fighting to figure out how to put anything more than mini-cannons or the old reliable pulse lasers. Slotting a class A shield is pretty much required given they made the cockpit canopy out of plate glass instead of transparent aluminum. Once you hit that last ring, you best start dumping power to engines to boost away or be close enough to finishing off your prey item or else. Once that last ring is gone, your only chance is show them your ass and hope they don't blow your drives on the way out.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1558 on: March 07, 2017, 09:20:21 AM

You actually get more shield/power by using a B shield and a shield booster or 2. Used to anyway.

I have to admit I'm not sold on the Vulture. I had more fun with an Imp Courier.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:02:32 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1559 on: March 07, 2017, 09:39:33 AM

You actually get more shield/power by using a B shield and a shield booster or 2. Used to anyway.

I have top admit I'm not sold on the Vulture. I had more fun with an Imp Courier.

You do, but at the cost of less heat efficiency and greater weight. Doesn't take that much off the thrusters, but it is noticeable.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1560 on: March 07, 2017, 12:52:44 PM

I went ahead and engineered up a Vulture for old time's sake (I used one all the way up to being able to afford a Clipper) and found that some straightforward upgrades do a lot to bypass the normal limitations of the frame.

For an unengineered Vulture, I would give it twin large pulse lasers or twin large autocannons, or 1 autocannon / 1 beam, and a biweave shield. I would also still of course have an AFMU on it. The absolute first priority for engineering is overcharging the powerplant so you can juice up the engines.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1561 on: March 08, 2017, 01:35:02 AM

I always forget that engineers now exist in the game...
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #1562 on: March 08, 2017, 08:32:50 AM

I've never seen any of the engineers information in-game.  Apparently, Horizons isn't available for Mac clients?  Or am I just missing something obvious?

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1563 on: March 08, 2017, 08:57:50 AM

Engineers are a pain in the dick.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1564 on: March 08, 2017, 03:49:25 PM

I still don't have a clue what engineers are about. Every-time I look for info about them I just run into a whole mess of BS, and just leave with a big feeling of not bothering.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1565 on: March 10, 2017, 05:31:02 PM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Terracotta Army

Reply #1566 on: March 10, 2017, 06:11:37 PM

Fuck off... Come on PS4 release.... my body is ready.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1567 on: March 10, 2017, 06:33:12 PM

I still don't have a clue what engineers are about. Every-time I look for info about them I just run into a whole mess of BS, and just leave with a big feeling of not bothering.

http://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit

Follow this guide, and if you get to the point where you want to do base runs in an SRV for data, let me know.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1568 on: March 11, 2017, 01:58:49 AM

Soo, what's all your commander names in-game so that I can add you to the friends list?  awesome, for real

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1569 on: March 11, 2017, 03:48:21 AM

Pennilenko

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1570 on: March 11, 2017, 03:56:33 AM

Satael
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1571 on: March 11, 2017, 04:58:11 AM

Interview with David Braben - PAX East 2017 - Elite Dangerous

Braben makes the "future story" of ED sound really interesting (but mentions no new game mechanics which somewhat dampens my expectations).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1572 on: March 11, 2017, 07:15:58 AM

Soo, what's all your commander names in-game so that I can add you to the friends list?  awesome, for real

Sugo.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1573 on: March 11, 2017, 11:57:07 AM

Suranis.

Finally arrived at Colonia. All told I have made about 30 million during the flight, making exploration the worst way to make money by far. Granted I was actually scanning high value planets in the last 4000 LY or so, having finally known what to lonk for, but it took aaaages. I'm now at 5% Pioneer and frankly I'm probably going to sell my Asp, buy a sidewinder and self destruct back to the bubble. nI have my name on a fair amount of planets and stars though.

Hic sunt dracones.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1574 on: March 11, 2017, 07:35:12 PM

Rattran.

I'll hopefully have better intarwebs soon and be back pewpewing at Hip and Wu.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: