Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:35:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 665715 times)
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1470 on: February 01, 2017, 02:32:34 PM

Crashed at Martuuk's place with a hold full of Soontil Relics. AGAIN. The gravity on that planet is really fucking powerful, and I am really fucking stupid.

What ship and what grade thrusters?
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1471 on: February 01, 2017, 03:03:13 PM

Crashed at Martuuk's place with a hold full of Soontil Relics. AGAIN. The gravity on that planet is really fucking powerful, and I am really fucking stupid.

What ship and what grade thrusters?
He needs to turn assist off and point the ass end of his ship towards the surface of the planet while using the other thrusters for lateral movements, paying attention to altitude the whole time. Pop out his landing gear, feather right at the end and go horizontal instead of vertical in the last second. Also he should have really good shields.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1472 on: February 01, 2017, 03:23:16 PM

He needs to turn assist off and point the ass end of his ship towards the surface of the planet while using the other thrusters for lateral movements, paying attention to altitude the whole time. Pop out his landing gear, feather right at the end and go horizontal instead of vertical in the last second. Also he should have really good shields.

ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1473 on: February 02, 2017, 06:45:11 AM

GET A FUCKING DOCKING COMPUTER.

why so serious? why so serious? why so serious? why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1474 on: February 02, 2017, 09:54:47 AM

Just got an 8800 LY mission to go scan a nebula for 42 million. I figured with the exploration data money I would pretty much have enough for a Python... so yeah I'm off to deep space. There;s a 3 week time limit so I recon I'll be there and back by then, assuming I survive.

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1475 on: February 02, 2017, 10:01:16 AM

Just got an 8800 LY mission to go scan a nebula for 42 million. I figured with the exploration data money I would pretty much have enough for a Python... so yeah I'm off to deep space. There;s a 3 week time limit so I recon I'll be there and back by then, assuming I survive.

Poopsock it and you'll be done by Saturday.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1476 on: February 02, 2017, 10:35:03 AM

Damn you gamer genes *props open eyes with matchsticks*

Hic sunt dracones.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1477 on: February 02, 2017, 10:37:10 AM

Remember to install an AFM before you go since you are bound to get some damage just from the sheer boredom of jumping hundreds of times (especially if your attention slacks jumping into a dual neutron star...  swamp poop )
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1478 on: February 02, 2017, 11:17:32 AM

This will not end well.   why so serious?

Terracotta Army

Reply #1479 on: February 02, 2017, 11:42:04 AM

This will not end well.   why so serious?

And I am looking forward to reading about it.    awesome, for real

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1480 on: February 02, 2017, 06:17:50 PM

The fact that I don't have an AFM is a good start.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1481 on: February 03, 2017, 01:27:42 AM

I'm going to have to hit combat in a big way shortly.  Any guides or tips from people ?

I don't mean just pew pewing the occasional pirate, I mean monstering into it in order to rank up.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1482 on: February 03, 2017, 04:15:59 AM

What do you mean, like fighting tips or where to find pew pew? Conflict zones will give you all the pew you can handle, and you can get away with drifting with the police in high RES sites, as long as you hit the bad guy you will get credit for the kill. As for combat itself, master transferring power. Engines to make you more agile, dropping speed to 50% will make you turn faster, power to shields reduces the actual damage your shields take so they can last longer under fire, and weapons make weapons go.

Sooo... my drift into deep space. After hours of jumping this morning I got to around 2.5k LY of the target... and then I found I was running out of stars I could reach. Turns out the nebula or black hole or whatever it is, is in a huge area of empty space. I would guess you would need some seriously modified jump engines to get to it, or there is some other trick that I don't know. So I've turned around and am heading back to base and I'm going to boot the client out the airlock. Still, I'll make some coin off the exploration data and my ranking will shoot up, assuming I make it back in one piece. My most damaged system is my docking computer at 82%  why so serious?  Only 4.7k LY to go!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:44:40 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1483 on: February 03, 2017, 04:39:25 AM

There's also quite a few areas of space dubbed 'badlands' which are large stretches of stars that cannot be scooped.  Another thing you need to worry about on long trips.  The Galaxy map will help you there if you filter it all.

As to my post, no, I know where to find a fight and how to actually fight - what I'm more interested in are builds and places where people have found great success in fighting lots of baddies for periods of time to increase ranks.

This may be an empty plea, of course.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1484 on: February 03, 2017, 04:55:34 AM

There's also quite a few areas of space dubbed 'badlands' which are large stretches of stars that cannot be scooped.  Another thing you need to worry about on long trips.  The Galaxy map will help you there if you filter it all.

As to my post, no, I know where to find a fight and how to actually fight - what I'm more interested in are builds and places where people have found great success in fighting lots of baddies for periods of time to increase ranks.

This may be an empty plea, of course.

Since you guys got me thinking about this game, I've been scoping out youtube vids about all the aspects of the game. As to fighting, Vulture in a High Intensity resource area seems to be the sweet spot. Better yet if you can find a medium sec system with one - this way you can poach kills off of police vehicles. Seems dual large pulse lasers, gimballed is the flavor of the month. Anything bigger than yourself, target the subsystem power plant to cut the TTK ~50%. Loadouts I have seen have all been similar, A rated shields, A rated thruster, A rated power plant, and the best large pulse lasers -D rated rest of the stuff to save weight. Sticking to higher sec systems they also go with kill warrant scanner and chaff just in case. Soloing lower sec, people run with shield cells and heat sinks along with military hulls and such.

And from everything I read, boosting pips to system only impacts the shield regen time, not overall toughness. Hence the need for shield cell banks.

Oh and for long range stuff, I saw a few videos on how you can boost using neutron star exhaust to jump 200+ LY. Might help?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1485 on: February 03, 2017, 06:36:02 AM

Which reminds me; if you have reagents, you can also inject them into your drive from the console to get a LY Boost.

I did that a couple of times.  It's mental.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1486 on: February 03, 2017, 08:42:25 AM

What? I don't even know what a reagent is!

- Viin
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1487 on: February 03, 2017, 10:23:20 AM

Go to your Cargo screen on the right hand side.  Now scroll down to 'Synthesis.'

You'll see some options there you probably didn't know about.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1488 on: February 03, 2017, 12:23:46 PM

Vulture + High RES= cash and faction bumps. Just don't start any fights with ships that can kick your ass (or be ready to get the fuck out of Dodge if the cops are slow to help). I made $900k in about 15 minutes last night.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1489 on: February 03, 2017, 12:34:56 PM

What's yer vulture build ?

Terracotta Army

Reply #1490 on: February 03, 2017, 02:03:11 PM

A grade power plant, A grade thrusters, biggest pulse lasers you can find, and a scarf and goggles.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1491 on: February 03, 2017, 02:22:45 PM

If you are low on power, remember you can set certain things to priority 3 on the module screen. that means they will be the first things to be turned off when the power spikes i.e. when you deploy weapons. Stuff like the Frame shift drive, cargo hatch etc can be set like that with no real combat penalty. Also a class B shied plus a shield booster will result in more shield overall for less power.

Anyway, got back safely. I even docked using my fried Docking computer with no troubles. Made about 4 and a half mill with the exploration data, "discovered" about 25 systems, and Explorer rank went from pathfinder 30% to 90%. I might go round scanning planets after this to get that flipped up to the next rank.

Hic sunt dracones.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1492 on: February 03, 2017, 06:24:01 PM

A grade power plant, A grade thrusters, biggest pulse lasers you can find, and a scarf and goggles.

This, except I have a multicannon and a pulse laser atm as an experiment. Seems to work ok.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #1493 on: February 04, 2017, 07:25:40 PM

Every once in a while HIP 10716/Wu Guinagi enter in a civil war.  For those that catassed for Empire rank doing the courier missions, means you are pretty much allied with all the factions.

I did the whole switching between open->private and picked up 10, 6-8mil+ massacre missions from an Empire faction, which means:

1) You grind pilot rank
2) You earn a ton of cash - each kill also nets a combat bond
3) The kills overlap among all the missions - so each kill applies to all 10 missions
4) When you finish you get empire rank + influence

Went up a total of 86 million after about 2 hours.  Not too bad.

The thing with conflict zones is that they can switch in a hurry:  if the faction you are going against gains the upper hand, you'd better be ready to get the fuck outta dodge or you will get gang raped by 6+ ships at the same time.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
WayAbvPar

Reply #1494 on: February 05, 2017, 09:16:42 PM

I usually take a ton of missions to kill dozens of bad guys and the war ends 10 minutes later.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1495 on: February 06, 2017, 05:44:09 AM

I did that.  Pissed me off fucking royally.

What's worse is even if you find ships that are wanted and belonging to the faction in question, it doesn't up the mission counter.  You seem to need to get them in the warzones.

Which blows.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1496 on: February 06, 2017, 07:12:24 AM

Regarding combat Reddit started buzzing about 17 Draconis entering war on Friday (apparently wars tend to last 3 days) and how you can make a mint stacking massacre missions there

I didn't go myself because it transpired that the factions are both Federal so you need to have a decent Fed rank to get offered the [high paying] missions and that it was a very long way to go to not get offered the right missions (plus there was the small matter of my Asp not being up to the combat apparently and I dont have, and cant yet afford, a dedicated combat ship to move out thee once I arrived)

There is war in Wu/HIP quite regularly since I've been there (~3 weeks now) but it always seems to be between the non-empire factions - no idea if that makes a difference?
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #1497 on: February 06, 2017, 08:32:50 AM

There is war in Wu/HIP quite regularly since I've been there (~3 weeks now) but it always seems to be between the non-empire factions - no idea if that makes a difference?

I may be wrong, but the payouts seemed tied to a) faction influence, and b) combat rank.  In other words, if you are allied with the faction, you will get access to the high paying missions.  I think you can still make great cash, but turning in the missions won't increase Empire rank (obviously).

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1498 on: February 06, 2017, 10:08:57 AM

It says there's a war right now and will give you missions, but no conflict zones.

It's lame.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1499 on: February 06, 2017, 10:31:18 AM

War never changes.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #1500 on: February 07, 2017, 07:36:50 AM

It says there's a war right now and will give you missions, but no conflict zones.

It's lame.

This seems to have changed recently.  Systems for me show up as 'unexplored' even if I've been there many times - even between logging in and out.  And conflict zones only seem to show up if you are within something like 500Ls to 1000Ls of them, which means you need to go from planet to planet in the system until they pop up.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1501 on: February 07, 2017, 08:02:46 AM

Yeah, and that'd be valid if I didn't go to the nav beacon, scanned it and it specifically said 'sorry, dude, no bad hombres, you need to get it old school'.

I may be paraphrasing.

If you're saying that despite that message I still have to go flying around the system, then I'm in seven degrees of Fuck That, especially as I warped to another Civil War 20 ly out and it was advertisting the fuckery for me to dive into.

Wu Gu is fucked is what I'm saying.

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #1502 on: February 07, 2017, 08:29:50 AM

Which faction do you need to fight?

HIP 10716 has a ton of conflict zones around the outermost planet (3000Ls from where the nav beacon is).

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1503 on: February 07, 2017, 10:29:22 AM

If you want it to stay Imperial, then fight the Federation SCUM. If you want to to go Fed then think of all the innocent slaves you will be betraying into the horrors of decedent freedom.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1504 on: February 08, 2017, 05:06:01 AM

Regarding shields, here where I read that putting pips into shields strenghtens them

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Shield

Increasing System pips will increase the strength of the ship's shields. It is thus advisable to switch to 4 pips just before taking damage to maximize the shield's durability. Currently pips do not appear to increase the recharge or reactivation rate of shields, given that your System still has available energy for the recharge process to consume.[1]

The [1] leads to http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2r813l/shield_classrating_testing_results/

So, make of that what you will.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: