Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:33:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662362 times)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1225 on: December 27, 2016, 02:03:15 PM

Finally giving this a look and my first attempt at combat training was a hilarious epic failure...
I bought a fancy Saitec X52 HOTAS controller setup because this seemed like the thing to do...
After locking on to the training target I push the throttle ahead to full...
Knocking over the glass of water on my desk in front of it...
Dousing the desk, some papers, a handful of biodegradable packing peanuts that start dissolving immediately...
And generally making a godawful mess.

Speaking of "physics or whatnot" is there a sane way of matching rotation with a rotating station?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1226 on: December 27, 2016, 02:06:00 PM

Not really, other than manually rolling with it. There is an autodocker that you can buy

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1227 on: December 27, 2016, 03:03:28 PM

How do I find places to shoot up assholes ?

I'm currently in Dahan, for reasons I won't go into, and I'm trying to find resource areas or places to shoot shit.

How does one find them ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1228 on: December 27, 2016, 03:09:00 PM

If you go near a planet with rings, they will show up on the contact list.

There is also contacts that appear as you are travelling in space (the name of which I cant remember, sorry) that are either low or high intensity. Low might have one or 2 pirates, high will have a convoy. Avoid those for now. You can find them by moving slowly between planets.

Hic sunt dracones.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1229 on: December 27, 2016, 05:34:06 PM

Okay, what the hell am I doing that's pissing off traffic control as I exit rotating stations?
I picked up a 400CR fine and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1230 on: December 27, 2016, 05:36:16 PM

Okay, what the hell am I doing that's pissing off traffic control as I exit rotating stations?
I picked up a 400CR fine and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Speeding and bumping a ship, or possibly loitering in the zone of another pad.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1231 on: December 27, 2016, 05:48:32 PM

Ah maybe I'm speeding.

The first time I tried to land traffic control started shouting at me for blocking the docking window, so I've been trying to get clear of it ASAP...
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1232 on: December 27, 2016, 06:05:08 PM

Check if you have illegal goods on board, or something that is illegal in the station. And yes, picking up stuff in the darkness of space makes it stolen goods.

Hic sunt dracones.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1233 on: December 27, 2016, 06:06:23 PM

- SHOOTING ASSHOLES: assholes gather most notoriously in"Resource Extraction Sites" or RES's. These are always in planetary rings. The assholes warp in, inspect people's cargo holds, and get into fights with space cops.

Since you are hunting low-grade space assholes, you need to warp around and find ringed planets with "Low Intensity" RES's, and in systems with actual space cops. NEVER HAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR CARGO HOLD. Once you find a low-intensity RES, scoot around and watch the space assholes pick fights with space miners and trigger fights with space cops. Once space cops are murdering the space assholes, lurk around behind them and shoot the space assholes a few times as the space assholes are dying. As long as you get some shots in at the end, you are considered the glorious golden hero who 100% was responsible for the end of that space asshole, and are rewarded appropriately.

Scoot around until you have a decent chunk of change in your bounty claim list that is large enough that you would be really sad to lose it, then go take it to a station to refuel, repair, re-arm, and cash in your bounties.

If you want to be earning empire/federation rank while doing this, shoot space assholes in the appropriate territory. You get rank credit for handing in bounties on space assholes.

- NOT GETTING FINES: speed always under 100m/s when docking. Above is considered being reckless and you are responsible for ensuing damage to non-speeding ships.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1234 on: December 27, 2016, 06:12:24 PM

if it helps, I did most of my space asshole hunting in the system HIP 16607. One of the gas giants has what used to be the holy grail of space asshole hunting and space rock farming alike: a metallic ring with pristine resources. Before RES's were differentiated into Low Intensity, normal, High Intensity, and Hazardous, you would go there for the highest chance to roll pirate anaconda farms.

Additionally, THOME GATEWAY is a high tech station with pretty much everything the young adventurer needs, so you don't have to leave to keep upgrading.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1235 on: December 27, 2016, 06:14:40 PM

Check if you have illegal goods on board, or something that is illegal in the station. And yes, picking up stuff in the darkness of space makes it stolen goods.

I expect I was speeding.  I'm still getting used to extracting information from the relatively tiny HUD display.

Definitely wasn't ferrying illegal goods (just doing some data fedex starter missions and once carting 4 tons of liquor (legal!) to another station as well).

Working on getting used to systems and procedures.

Is there any way to figure out what remote systems/stations have for trade besides using a third party website or traveling there and checking the market in person?

My understanding is if my starter sidewinder blows up I'll receive my replacement back at the middle of nowhere station where I started, so it's not in my interest to move too far until I'm able to afford to upgrade a bit and insure the upgrade?

Ah... apparently my crime is trespassing... if I don't get the hell out of dodge the minute I clear the window traffic control flips out...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 08:21:17 PM by Quinton »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1236 on: December 28, 2016, 07:33:06 AM

Yay, I have a lovely Viper now, the bigger one.

Which I almost crashed into the sun and then DID crash into a space station.  Thank fuck for shields.

Loving this.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1237 on: December 28, 2016, 07:54:16 AM

One tip - if you approach a station from the direction of the thing its orbiting, then in general the entrance will be facing you.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1238 on: December 28, 2016, 08:17:49 AM

As everyone who has ever played Elite back in the day should know.   why so serious?

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1239 on: December 28, 2016, 09:24:30 AM

- NOT GETTING FINES: speed always under 100m/s when docking. Above is considered being reckless and you are responsible for ensuing damage to non-speeding ships.

I just hope the tailgating asshole NPCs who "help" me get to dock by pushing me from behind while I'm carefully navigating the rotating dock window get a flipping ticket too.

Either that or let me drop mines while entering...

DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1240 on: December 28, 2016, 05:09:56 PM

I finally got the grade 5 dirty drive tuning. It is the most intense yet rewarding grind I've ever gone through.

I put them on my Cutter and now it maneuvers better than a stock Python.

I put them on my Clipper, which now performs like a small fighter despite being like 700 tons or something.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1241 on: December 28, 2016, 05:15:49 PM

I will retry a version of this video tonight with more asteroids, but thisis what I can do now

https://youtu.be/BXiByjx2lf8
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1242 on: December 30, 2016, 04:00:53 PM

Damn, but getting fucking killed by the cops over a mishap to the tune of 100k is just not fun.  You can't outrun that shit either.  Or, at least, I can't.  Twice.

On a related note, the discovery scanner is a powered thing I need to press.  Who knew.  As to what the fuck, who also knows.

I mean, I know this is like a broken record in this thread, but this game badly, badly needs a fucking help button.

Still enjoying the shit out of it though.   How does one meet people in it tho ?  I've seen a couple of players around, but it seems to be just intrusively messaging them to say hi ?  Doesn't seem right somehow...

I require more Vespene Gas Cold Hard Cash.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1243 on: December 30, 2016, 09:05:47 PM

MOAR PYLONS!

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1244 on: December 30, 2016, 10:07:17 PM

That happened to me last night. I threw out chaff and boosted out of there and got clear.

If you want a really boring grindy way to do nothing but make cash, this guide is pretty good. https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/5e0v3n/masarks_guide_to_trade_sidewinder_to_anaconda_v20/

Hic sunt dracones.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1245 on: December 31, 2016, 02:44:20 AM

diaguandri is kind of a social hub atm. open play is an interesting, halfbaked experiment marred by the lack of any real crime and punishment system.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1246 on: December 31, 2016, 02:56:19 AM

Tonight was a very strange leap forward in my quest to engineer everything to the hilt. I had been doing these very ... interesting base runs, where I have to scan three towers in a planetary facility in my buggy in under a minute or whatever. I had been doing this to get a Grade 3 type of data which had proven very elusive and which I needed for my Grade 5 Dirty Drive Tuning.

It turns out while I was doing that, I acquired many, many pieces of an apparently excruciatingly elusive very rare data commodity called "Modified Embedded Firmware" that most people lament being unable to get, but which is needed for the highest grade Overcharged weapons mod. Today I realized I had all the components I needed, and spontaneously gave my cutter a grand total of five maximum level overcharged incendiary/corrosive autocannons (including my huge), and even maxed out two large multicannons to put on my clipper.

i swear, leapfrogging over all the remaining credit hurdles in this game spontaneously allowed me to do so much more varied shit
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1247 on: December 31, 2016, 10:57:38 AM

That happened to me last night. I threw out chaff and boosted out of there and got clear.

If you want a really boring grindy way to do nothing but make cash, this guide is pretty good. https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/5e0v3n/masarks_guide_to_trade_sidewinder_to_anaconda_v20/

This guide is all type of awesome.  Thanks Much.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1248 on: December 31, 2016, 03:51:04 PM

Getting maximum engineered weapons & a charge enhanced distro makes even the heavy ships melt like they used to back in the day, before engineering tacitly buffed them. I just did a weird coastline change in the game's difficulty with all this engineering wankery.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #1249 on: December 31, 2016, 10:02:30 PM

If you want to be earning empire/federation rank while doing this, shoot space assholes in the appropriate territory. You get rank credit for handing in bounties on space assholes.

Can you elaborate on this?  I hunted bounties in a HighRES in an Empire controlled system (HIP 10716) for several hours, and my Empire rank didn't increase at all (even after 4 million credits in bounties).  My reputation DID increase, just not the rank.

Or do you mean taking the pirate hunting missions from Empire-backed factions?

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
WayAbvPar

Reply #1250 on: December 31, 2016, 10:08:51 PM

Have taken a couple of months off from this, but itching to jump back in. I am still a noob, but I have fun wandering around and delivering shit and killing idiot NPCs who interdict me in much shittier ships  awesome, for real Gimme a shout on Steam if anyone wants to team up if you see me on.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1251 on: December 31, 2016, 10:51:33 PM

I recently reinstalled this to poke around, so I'm playing this a bit on Steam too.

I totally forgot you can land on planets now. Why would I want to do that anyway?

Did some mining (planetary rings are a pretty awesome sight) for the first time a couple of nights ago, was pretty easy and fairly engaging since I have to catch all the rocks that break off. Sure could use some limpets though .. it's lame they are used up like ammo. Got me some cash due to a "quest" for some minerals, which really helped out my wallet!

- Viin
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1252 on: January 01, 2017, 10:32:33 AM

You might be using them the wrong way. Don't target the bits that fly off. just launch the limpet drones and let them bring in the ore themselves. If you target ore and launch it they will bring that ore in and self destruct.

I quite like mining myself.

Hic sunt dracones.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1253 on: January 01, 2017, 11:23:00 AM

yeah the only one-off use limpets should be prospectors. everything else is supposed to just follow you for the duration of its lifespan and scoop up anything that comes off the space rock (if it doesn't suicide on the space rock, that is)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1254 on: January 01, 2017, 11:34:08 AM

You use prospector limpets by firing them at the asteroid you want to check out and then you should get a readout to see whats in it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1255 on: January 01, 2017, 04:30:22 PM

Will try again, didn't look like I could launch them without something targeted.

- Viin
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1256 on: January 01, 2017, 04:50:30 PM

you need a collector limpet controller and a prospector limpet controller.

prospector limpets are essentially necessary because using one on a space rock doesn't just tell you what's in the rock, an a-grade limpet makes the rock produce five times as many fragments before being exhausted

collector limpet drones you just launch and they follow you and auto-collect fragments for a time period determined by the class and grade of the controller.

two small mining lasers produce fragments a bit faster than three limpets can collect.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1257 on: January 01, 2017, 05:33:00 PM

oooo good to know!

- Viin
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1258 on: January 01, 2017, 06:37:44 PM

also fyi if you are farming, definitely farm in pristine metallic rings!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1259 on: January 02, 2017, 05:45:07 AM

I think I'm going to cave and buy this. Do I need Horizons too?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: