Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 667602 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1260 on: January 02, 2017, 08:27:48 AM

No.  I've barely touched Horizons, though I would buy it anyway !

Sam, what's your recommendation for a nice entry mining setup ?  I now have a lot of credits and an Asp Explorer....

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1261 on: January 02, 2017, 09:31:01 AM

I have to say that I'm enjoying the game more than I thought I would (and even considering getting Saitek X52 pro though I'll have to play a bit more before seriously considering it).  awesome, for real
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1262 on: January 02, 2017, 10:54:39 AM

This is the game most in need of a decent tutorial of the year.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1263 on: January 02, 2017, 11:12:57 AM

I know, right ?

I've learned a lot though, quite a lot of it on this thread.  There's also a lot of 3rd party sites out there that do the heavy lifting for finding shit in the galaxy, so that's good too.  I truly wish the tech had a 'Tech Level' button on a System like the original had.  Too hard to find that bit of your ship you're looking for without one of those sites.

Also, got interdicted for the first time today and had the Iron Ass to fight back.  Totally fucking nuked him.  That'll teach that asshole to covet my 112 tons of Slaves.  Er.  I mean Textiles.  Yeah.  Textiles.  Or something.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1264 on: January 02, 2017, 11:48:05 AM

This is the game most in need of a decent tutorial of the year.

i remember when i played MWO and the interface was so bad that the game was painfully unfun unless you included 'the internet' as an intergral metalayer. you had to have community resources to guide you and let you know what sucked and what didn't, or you would have a cruel set of months playing with builds you didn't even realize were hypershitty. and the interface for building mechs was so painful that you had to construct them in external tools before cobbling them together in game.

this game takes that to the absolute extreme. the internet is part of the game. you cannot play without exterior resources.

oh hey speaking of exterior resources:

http://inara.cz/  <- very helpful, vital with engineers and other stuff

https://eddb.io/ <- very helpful for trading, finding stuff, building

http://www.edshipyard.com/ <- build-a-ship
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1265 on: January 02, 2017, 12:36:15 PM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1266 on: January 02, 2017, 03:16:51 PM

my mining sretup was similar to this one. I actually riped out my Asps mining equipment last night to go trading, otherwise I;d directly tell you

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/25D5D5A4D4A5D5C2m2m12121212030002030504C0C0C01lP4.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

The thing about dual medium mining lasers is they will overheat really fast. For a more consistent blast of mining 1 med and 1small will be much better and will actually mine it out faster. 2 Limpet controllers will be more than enough with that setup. I actually had an 8 rack refinery running in one of the class 3 slots, and a cargo in the class 2 slot where the class 6 refinery is in that link (you can stick a limpet controller in there if you want). The extra refinery slots are very handy. Keep flushing out the ore you don't want before it gets to 100% as that way it wont generate a can that your limpets will helpfully insist on bringing back to you. The guns aren't especially necessary but hey.

To avoid the suicide limpet problem try and find a spot to mine there the asteroid will not be rotating as much, the "pole" of the rock. Limpets will dive in close to the rock to get ore and if the rock is spinning it will smash the limpet. Try and mine at an angle as well so the ore sprays out away from the rock.

Also, small tip that will avoid close encounters; turn on your lights (L by default I think). That way you can see them shining off the rock as you get close, which might be a clue to hit the breaks.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Also check the board for mining missions when you leave, and when you dock. You can make some serious coin off whose.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:18:27 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1267 on: January 02, 2017, 03:43:17 PM

Thanks, I just had an absolute 'mare with it, much to the amusement of the wife ;  dropped the cash on a nice wee Cobra and fitted it out and then found my mining spot and then found out you should stock the collectors and prospectors BEFORE leaving the fucking station.   why so serious?

Tried to pick that shit up manually for a while, which she could not stop laughing about and then I gave up.  Flew back to the nearest port to find I didn't have a docking computer now and had to do it manually and when I did it turned out nearest port didn't have resupply facilities.

Over here it's currently midnight so FUCK THIS SHIT, I'll pick it up again in the morning.

awesome, for real

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1268 on: January 02, 2017, 09:46:24 PM

Let's see. Ok, in response to a question earlier i worked out the best early-buy-in Quality Mining Platform. It works great for something you can access at just one and a half million in assets! Yay!

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=9080,JrO0JrO0,,9p30A7g0ANI0Acw0Aq_0B3_0BKE0Bb60,07200720072007205Sc07QE00Yi05uk0

you will note it will use the much less spritely Cobra type and has no weapons and the Barest Minimum Shield for happy little accidents and fleeing to hyperspace, so stay out of trouble in it.

If this lasts you long enough and you get to the next tier of mining, your next quality mining platforms are the AspX and then the Python.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1269 on: January 02, 2017, 11:19:33 PM

The type 6 makes a decent miner too.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1270 on: January 02, 2017, 11:57:25 PM

But you can't get the Cobra four unless you're special, right ?  It's a backers thing ??

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1271 on: January 03, 2017, 01:40:23 AM

I think it was a special edition of Horisons or something. I never got it anyway.

I think my first experiments in Mining were in an Adder. I did the chasing fragments thing and said never fucking again. That was also when I found that firing limpets at fragments made them self destruct...

Hic sunt dracones.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1272 on: January 03, 2017, 10:45:19 AM

Thanks, I just had an absolute 'mare with it, much to the amusement of the wife ;  dropped the cash on a nice wee Cobra and fitted it out and then found my mining spot and then found out you should stock the collectors and prospectors BEFORE leaving the fucking station.   why so serious?

Mining with just lasers and cargo scoop in Elite makes mining in EVE seem glorious by comparison.

I managed to mine and refine three units of liquid oxygen (including manually flushing the impurities), got my 55K reward, and swore to never, ever do that again.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1273 on: January 03, 2017, 12:04:59 PM

Do they still have camera shake when you accelerate / decelerate to aim your ship at the station docking slot?  (It was esp. noticeable in the bigger ships type 6 etc. - gave me a headache and I quit playing, because there was no option to disable it.)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1274 on: January 03, 2017, 12:24:10 PM

I've never noticed any camera shake.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1275 on: January 03, 2017, 01:28:51 PM

Sometimes the Docking Computer goes mental, trying to be a perfectionist, but that's about it.  Usually I take the docking slot at about 200* so I've never noticed anything else.....

* That's What She Said.

hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #1276 on: January 03, 2017, 06:34:25 PM

I have to say reading this thread I have no idea weather I should buy this or not. If you can figure it out it might be fun. But if you can not figure it out it is gonna suck
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1277 on: January 03, 2017, 06:40:50 PM

Honestly, I think its best as a game you dip in and out of. There is no overarching story, and it has the "million miles wide and inch deep" problem. The space flight part is very good, but if you like concrete goals given to you there are not any. But if you just want to kick back, crack on a podcast, and watch the scenery go by in space there is no game out there like it right now. The combat is pretty decent as well, though I don't think its the games strongest point.

Space can feel pretty empty though, as there is not much interaction out there. You kinda have to find the things to do and the in game explanations are pretty crap.

Hic sunt dracones.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1278 on: January 04, 2017, 12:09:26 AM

i appreciate that i can play it and post at the same time
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1279 on: January 04, 2017, 02:07:57 AM

If you have 2 mill, and give a crap about my opinion, this is a decent enough starting miner. Its the Type 6 Hull, has 3 collector limpets and a 7 slot refinery, and 64 cargo which is great for a starting mining vessel. If you were to upgrade anything its the thrusters. The Type 6 is a nice manoeuvrable ship, but its totally defenceless so running like hell is your best option if you see trouble. Upgrade shields and add chaff/other defences to taste and cashflow. I actually had a lot of fun learning how to mine in this thing a year ago.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/type_6_transporter?code=0p7tdFdl8das8f42l2l---0404C82143P1C3.Iw1%2FkA%3D%3D.Aw1%2FkA%3D%3D.&bn=Beginning%20Miner

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1280 on: January 04, 2017, 02:20:40 AM

Here's the thing, from someone who's now tried the whole mining thing ;  How in the name of almighty fuck can I make consistent money mining ?  

If you get fucked by RNG for the missions, I don't see how you get a proper return and I've tried to find 'good' rings, but not really sure what I'm looking for or where I'm supposed to be looking.

Honestly, having seen the sheer amount of cash you can be rolling in trading rares or slaves, I don't really get the mining thing, though it's fun as hell to watch your wee collector dash about collecting what turns out to be worthless Ruprite or whatever.

Feel free to post to prove me wrong !

Edit.  This guide tells me I'm doing it wrong.  Ok.  I might try doing it right tonight.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:50:35 AM by Ironwood »

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1281 on: January 04, 2017, 03:00:29 AM

You find the metallic rings by scanning the planet then clicking on it in the system view. It will show you the composition of the rings. 'A' rings are the closest to the planet. Otherwise, follow that guide. Its pretty good. Remember, you are going to be ditching most of the ore you mine in any case and keeping the cream.

At a risk of causing a stampede to the place, I usually mined in a system called Jura, that had a Giant with a pristine metallic ring.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:04:40 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1282 on: January 05, 2017, 04:34:51 AM

Do they still have camera shake when you accelerate / decelerate to aim your ship at the station docking slot?  (It was esp. noticeable in the bigger ships type 6 etc. - gave me a headache and I quit playing, because there was no option to disable it.)

Just replying to this as I am in a Type 7 now, and I started noticing the Camera shake you were talking about. I found it highly annoying too, so I checked the options and they do have a "Reduce camera Shake" option which gets rid of it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1283 on: January 05, 2017, 06:37:53 AM

I stopped playing prior to Horizons due to the grind but I'm finding myself wanting to play it again.

Any 'easy' ways to make cash fast? I'm currently mining in a Cobra 3 with ~2 mil in the bank (was looking at upgrading to mining in a Cobra 4).

I've read about Robigo missions being hugely profitable but it sounds like I'd need a large cargo bay and a decent jump range so I'm reluctant to make the ~400LY trip just to find out my Cobra can't cut it.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1284 on: January 05, 2017, 06:47:37 AM

Well, if you have 2 mill in the bank you can stash your cobra and buy and rig up up type 6 transporter so you will have a large enough cargo bay to try bulk trading, such as at Robigo. Or you can mine in the type 6, using the setup I posted a few posts back

Trading guide I posted up thread for making money in boring grindy way. I'm doing it myself at the moment and it works. https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/5e0v3n/masarks_guide_to_trade_sidewinder_to_anaconda_v20/

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1285 on: January 05, 2017, 07:02:39 AM

That's the guide I used and it works really, really well.

I'll echo what Sir T said ;  with that cash, you can be on the Type-6 bit of the guide which should be netting you about a quarter of a mill per rare run, minimum, or possibly more if you just want to trade slaves on a superconductor route.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1286 on: January 05, 2017, 07:40:13 AM

And I'm on a type 7 now, trading Imp Slaves and Silver, and making 890k per back and forth run...

Hic sunt dracones.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1287 on: January 05, 2017, 12:38:36 PM

I checked the options and they do have a "Reduce camera Shake" option which gets rid of it.

Thanks!  I can give the game a try again.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1288 on: January 05, 2017, 06:06:16 PM

It's happening, we've encountered thargoids. They can interdict us in interSYSTEM warp.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1289 on: January 05, 2017, 06:23:48 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1290 on: January 05, 2017, 09:18:05 PM

Scary biscuits.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1291 on: January 05, 2017, 09:35:58 PM

Can I give more daps to the sound team? They bring their a-game to everything they do. The sound from that encounter was super cool, especially with bass.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1292 on: January 06, 2017, 08:28:07 PM

Dumb question, chaps: is this just Eve?  Is there any walking around?  All the gameplay vids seem to show cockpit footage, so I wanted to check...
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1293 on: January 06, 2017, 08:47:56 PM

No, there is no walking around in a room by yourself.  why so serious?

The most you get is driving around on a planets surface in a buggy. Otherwise is Cockpits away, baby!

I still dont know what you actually DO on a planet. I tried the tutorial and I was stymied because there wasn't any default controls for the buggy, and I wasn't sure what to set them up as.

Hic sunt dracones.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1294 on: January 06, 2017, 09:51:44 PM

I have spent quite some time in a buggy hunting a bevy of materials for Engineers, including data raids on settlements. Now that THERGOLS are here, I will go check out the first known 'barnacles' to see if anything changed.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: