Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:15:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662338 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: November 05, 2012, 05:03:52 PM

Yes, this is what it sounds like, a new Elite game by one of the original developers as a Kickstarter project.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 05:08:25 PM

I guess the other guy is too busy doing naked UV body art photography to get back in on this with him.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:15:11 AM

I dunno, doesn't feel like he knows what he wants to do with this.

Elite, but with a single player campaign, already exists in X.

Elite, but an mmo with player economy, also exists as Eve.

Not sure if the world needs vanilla Elite. Basically this needs an idea to make me notice him.

Frontier was Elite, only with a more neckbeardy flight model. Don't need that.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:11:41 AM

Elite, but an mmo with player economy, also exists as Eve.

If he ships an MMO/multiplayer Elite with something like the original twitch based controls, that's all the difference to Eve that will get me to play.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:55:01 AM

So there's a video interview with David Braben on the BBC (which also includes a hint of footage from the game in the background plus one of the game artists winking at the camera  awesome, for real ) where he explains that using Kickstarter to fund this is a way of gauging market demand and potentially bypassing a publisher. Video here.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 02:12:28 AM

I dunno, doesn't feel like he knows what he wants to do with this.

Elite, but with a single player campaign, already exists in X.

Well, see, if he could make that game, but fun, I'd be pretty pleased.

Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 05:02:15 AM

Elite never really had a campaign though, the original only had something like 6 missions (think I only got to the second one) once you hit the higher ranks.

Frontier and First Encounters both had optional plots that you sort of stumbled into by accident (and could just as easily stumble out of and had finite time windows) and both were horribly bug ridden (think the Publisher was to thank for that).

I'd like to see this but I think Chris Roberts is going to beat him to the punch with pretty much the same game.

All we need now is for X Rebirth to have a persistant online element (which I don't think is in the design anyway) or X Online to be [re]announced
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 06:03:38 AM

I'd probably pledge some money if it weren't David Braben asking for it. I won't support a guy though, that has screwed up and/or severly delayed every project that he was involved in after the original Elite. I also won't support a guy that has screwed over his business partner and kept him from receiving any financial comp for co-creating and co-developing Elite.

Every Braben game after Elite was a disaster, Raspberry Pi is a disaster (one where people have even been defrauded out of money by his distributor). A guy with that kind of track record doesn't deserve my money.

That's as if Uwe Boll was asking for donations to make another movie.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 06:07:44 AM

Brabben has been trying to get Elite IV made for over a decade. This is just yet another step in that process and not one that inspires any confidence in me.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 06:10:45 AM

Personally I liked Zarch (yes my father had an Archimedes at work).

But I think Chris Roberts has that genre covered.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 07:05:42 AM

Maybe he can get together with Mr and Mrs Romero.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 07:14:29 AM

I'd probably pledge some money if it weren't David Braben asking for it. I won't support a guy though, that has screwed up and/or severly delayed every project that he was involved in after the original Elite. I also won't support a guy that has screwed over his business partner and kept him from receiving any financial comp for co-creating and co-developing Elite.

Every Braben game after Elite was a disaster, Raspberry Pi is a disaster (one where people have even been defrauded out of money by his distributor). A guy with that kind of track record doesn't deserve my money.

That's as if Uwe Boll was asking for donations to make another movie.

Just because you say it, doesn't make it true. The Braben/Bell dispute was not solely on the side of Braben. Bell sold his rights to the Elite sequels because he didn't want to work on them. He claimed royalties on the first sequel but waived royalties on any expansions or subsequent sequels. That was a poor decision on his part and he cried foul when Braben released First Encounters because it meant few copies of Frontier being sold. But Braben, while arguably being a bit of a dick by not developing any expansions for Frontier, didn't do anything wrong and didn't deprive Bell of any royalties that he was owed from either Elite or Frontier. Braben sued Bell for libel in 1995 because of things Braben wrote/said in interviews.  (Braben's 99 FAQ - hosted on Ian Bell's site - 1995 interview with Bell)

Later on it appeared that Bell had sold his rights to Elite to a third party and there were certain copyright issues regarding the distribution of the Elite binaries. Some point the finger at Braben for a C&D letter to the developer of "Elite: The New Kind" as clamping down on 3rd party redevelopment. This is, again, only half the truth - there was a very restrictive 3rd party EULA attached to TNK which Braben couldn't ignore. After all, OOlite is still very visibly up and running and available because it's distributed under a GPL.

Braben's subsequent games (Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Thrillville, LostWinds 1 & 2, Kinectimals), while hardly being the type of games to cater for people on this site, have, for the most part, all been critically well received. I don't really like using metacritic as a judgment of this but look em up - the consensus seems generally favourable so why you're saying "every game was a disaster" I don't know. Were they delayed or late? Well, The Outsider was all but cancelled and Elite IV has never happened but everything else? Looks like they've delivered most of them.

As for Raspberry Pi, I'm intrigued by your claims about people being defrauded (out of, what? $35?) so maybe you could back that up with sources.

Facts are good.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 07:37:53 AM

X, EVE, Star Citizen...

It's not that Elite is too similar to other space sims, it's that Elite inspired most other space sims.

I think this game would have to reinvent the genre from the ground up to not be accused of doing the same thing others are.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 08:06:12 AM

I guess the other guy is too busy doing naked UV body art photography to get back in on this with him.
Wait, you're making an Elite game?

I've got the X series and RSI to look forward to.  If it's good, I'll get this, but I don't seem much reason to kickstart this one.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 12:02:49 PM

Why does this Kickstarter exist?  Elite is the polar opposite of expensive.  So cheap to produce that even X3 made a tidy profit.  I find it a bit sketchy that they couldn't afford to make it themselves.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 12:07:17 PM

Elite was cool. However, I'm not sure how you go from Elite - > Modern game. When so many games have already come and gone that do it better in between. There isn't even an art style to carry over..

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 12:23:04 PM

If he ships an MMO/multiplayer Elite with something like the original twitch based controls, that's all the difference to Eve that will get me to play.

If this were to happen, I'd quit my job and move back into my mother's basement. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 12:34:04 PM

Elite was cool. However, I'm not sure how you go from Elite - > Modern game. When so many games have already come and gone that do it better in between. There isn't even an art style to carry over..

I think I'd just accept an updated version of First Encounters at this point (without the crippling physics model and game breaking bugs)

I'm struggling to think of any addition there's been to the X games after X-Tension added the ability to fly different/multiple ships beyond graphics updates and new/different plot/missions
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 12:37:49 PM

Wait, you're making an Elite game?

Yeah I did kind of groan inwardly when I saw this project, luckily it is the other dude.  tongue

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 05:19:44 PM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 02:11:06 AM

Any minute now EA will buy the rights and remake Elite as a cover based shooter.

'Reintroducing this classic franchise to the console generation'

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 01:32:09 PM

Oolite looks pretty decent.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 02:30:56 PM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 03:06:30 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 03:28:11 PM

But my delicates!

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 03:38:44 PM

Graphically that looks like Archimedes Elite, considered the best version, which I picked as my avatar a few days ago (must have felt an Elite revival coming on).

There are all sorts of things mentioned in the original manual and novella The Dark Wheel that could be included in a modern elite, such as Generation Ships (huge things I kept hoping to encounter on my C64 but never did... because they're a myth) and space hermits living on asteroids.

P.S. Ian Bell's insane website has a record of a legal dispute between him and Braben.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 03:46:10 PM

Graphically that looks like Archimedes Elite, considered the best version, which I picked as my avatar a few days ago (must have felt an Elite revival coming on).

You have to look at the "expansion packs".   Seems like they keep the default graphics spartan on purpose.

Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 05:20:29 AM

Looks like they managed to hit the funding target with just over 48 hours left.

While I am happy for the project I feel it hit target in spite of itself, and is a good example of how not to launch a kickstarter.

Now all they need to do is deliver it!
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 02:23:01 AM

Braben is talking billions of star systems.

"I know it sounds absurd, and were it from another man, you'd cry out "Oh, what pitiful stuff!" and dismiss it as mere enthusiasm." But with Braben... 

I pledged.

Big.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 02:27:27 AM

I didn't pledge but that's because of this coming at the wrong time for my wallet. Also, while I really like how the updates have gone and what they've shown and what they're talking about, I kind of what them to deliver on their promises first before parting with money.

But I loved the fact that there were several interviews with both him and Chris Roberts during the updates.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 04:20:26 AM

Braben is talking billions of star systems.

"I know it sounds absurd, and were it from another man, you'd cry out "Oh, what pitiful stuff!" and dismiss it as mere enthusiasm." But with Braben... 

I pledged.

Big.

But those are going to be randomly generated, so where's the appeal of that? Or are we talking about real names and data from real stars in our galaxy? Also, in human (and player) terms, what's the difference between billions of systems and a hundred thousand systems? Or even a simple thousand systems?

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 04:42:00 AM

Agreed, sheer quantity without any differentiating substance doesn't hold much appeal to me. I would rather have a smaller-yet-structured space sandbox environment.

Still, it is nice to see the space sim coming back. If Valve's Stars of Barathrum project turns out to be a space sim that will be another thing I shall have to look forward to as well.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 05:07:16 AM

The best thing is randomly generated billions of star systems, in which you nest the hand made content in clever ways. Kind of like the real thing.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 08:08:27 AM

I really like the idea of a basically boundless random universe.  Gives off that whole "I wonder what I'll find".  The problem I have in most games attempting that is there's only a few "finds" which are worth anything and a whole shitpot full of crap no one wants. 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 08:22:54 AM

Didn't pledge because I was unsure and nothing in the rewards was tempting.  No bonus stuff or backer rewards other than saving a name and a decal to put on a ship.  I figure if the game does end up being really good I can just pick it up on sale cheaper than the Kickstarter tier was shortly after release anyways.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: