Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:55:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: MTGO - New Client 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MTGO - New Client  (Read 42195 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 10:42:17 PM

Yes. Magic Online is 'real' magic - buy boosters with real money at the same price as paper, all the cards are functional, deckbuilding is complete, the normal slate of tournaments are there, no AI, etc. It's what the PVP half of Hex will be essentially.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 05:25:05 AM

Is MODO different than Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers?

Different games.

MODO/MTGO: Full clone of the paper game. PC only. PVP only. Buy boxes/boosters with exact price and makeup of paper retail. Play the same formats. This is the terrible interface people are talking about. Biggest problem I see is that if you're not heavily invested and experienced, you're complete chum.

Duels of the Planeswalkers: Limited newbie game. PC/Xbox360/PS3/IOS. PVE against an AI opponent or multiplayer. The game has pre-made decks and each deck has 40 cards you can unlock either by winning 40 games with the deck or by paying a few bucks. The AI is terrible, even I can beat it until you turn it up to the top level, when it cheats--then it seems to mostly be choosing the right deck to counter. At least on the PC version the multiplayer is dead. There were three people on last night in prime time. Yeah.Three. Planeswalkers 14 should be coming out in about a month.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 12:05:51 PM

Decided to throw $10 at MODO/MTGO last night to see what that was like (Schild warned me away but I had already pushed the BUY NOW button).  Wow, this is some impressively horrible user interface.

Any suggestions for somebody just wanting to dabble a bit and not dump much money into this (since I'm bought into HEX anyway and hoping it will not be nearly so clunky).  And good getting started on the cheap guides or whatnot?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 12:42:35 PM

If you didn't get the beta version, despite not being very good, it's loads better than the "release" one.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 12:46:13 PM

I grabbed the beta because it was recommended for new players and I figured why not!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 01:14:25 PM

If you didn't get the beta version, despite not being very good, it's loads better than the "release" one.

I do not agree (at least as of the last time I looked at the beta a couple months ago.) It's less ugly than the older regular client, but I found it less usable.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 01:21:09 PM

Is there a way to try out the UI vs a bot or something?  I'm a little uncertain about wanting to flail around trying to play against some unfortunate real person while I try to figure out how this mess operates.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 11, 2013, 01:36:57 PM

There's a 'new player' room I think.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 11, 2013, 01:45:37 PM

Yeah and apparently these special Planeswalker cards in the new account pack are for preconstructed decks only usable in the "Just Starting Out" class.
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: June 11, 2013, 02:07:49 PM

Not only that but you can never delete them out of your account and they'll clog it forever.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 02:38:14 PM

Okay, maybe I won't try that out then.  Sounds awful.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 11, 2013, 03:21:09 PM

Okay, maybe I won't try that out then.  Sounds awful.

In the beta client, they only appear if you have "planeswalker" selected in the filter (and all of your other cards then disappear), so I don't think it's that big a deal that you can't drop them. Then I don't have ten thousand cards either.

I played a game with the planeswalker deck with a deck I know from Duels and got obliterated by someone with lots of cards that I just didn't have or recognize. It seems that while it's intended to be a newbie format, most of the people playing it are anything but. They've got multiple copies of the different versions and expansions and it ends up as a kind of high end cheap rares format.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 03:22:50 PM

I think they release a new $5 set with all the cards each time a new copy of Duels comes out. Most of the fancier cards have restrictions on how many you can put in a deck to stop you from buying 4 planeswalker packs to do that, but maybe that's changed? Been years since I looked at that format.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 12, 2013, 05:30:03 AM

I think they release a new $5 set with all the cards each time a new copy of Duels comes out. Most of the fancier cards have restrictions on how many you can put in a deck to stop you from buying 4 planeswalker packs to do that, but maybe that's changed? Been years since I looked at that format.

The restricted list really isn't that big. It's mostly instant win cards. What I'm thinking of is most of the pre-mades in planes decks have like 5 clunkers and 10 "meh" cards. You buy a couple of more packs and you can fill out the lousy commons and uncommons and the decks gets really powerful. It creates a cheap format that you can easily play for 20 or 30 dollars, but it's not an even playing field where for newbies to get in the game and have a reasonable chance against other newbies.

It seems like every game that has a beginner room it's either empty or its wolves looking for sheep.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 17, 2013, 03:25:40 AM

You can do that with any magic precon.

They really are maybe a dozen common swaps from a strong casual room deck. (Nowhere near competitive of course)

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 17, 2014, 03:51:10 AM

Finally got around to playing a few games, and yeah, it's pretty clunky, but it's Magic and still enjoyable.  Did a 4 person M14 sealed queue event (phantom/newplayer) and came in second (possibly could have won but I ran out of time in the middle of the last game).  Definitely a fun format.  Looking forward to HEX supporting sealed and draft, but may keep playing some MTGO too.  Experimenting a bit with Pauper Constructed as a possibly-not-hideously-expensive format to play some constructed in.

Also writing some code to convert Match_*.dat to human readable form -- sadly they appear to be just the console log, not full replay context.

Is it possible to get replay data for matches you've played in the queue once they scroll out of the window?  Individual games show up under account info and I can replay them, but once the match vanished from the completed part of the queue list I was not able to find it again.  Which is a bummer.
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 08:44:21 AM

The Pauper market on MODO is so warped around like 3-4 decks. Cards that shouldn't have any value do. Its' a weird format.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 26, 2014, 01:55:26 PM

It's not the new client, but their new website design also sucks.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #53 on: June 26, 2014, 02:07:08 PM

But hey, at least they're finally allowing you to actually build a deck in the next DOTP game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: June 26, 2014, 02:31:32 PM

Well, they have to, or Hex is nothing like Duels.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: MTGO - New Client  
Jump to: