Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:07:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: MTGO - New Client 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MTGO - New Client  (Read 42197 times)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

on: October 29, 2012, 02:52:56 PM

Has anyone used the beta client much?  I just downloaded and tried it and at a short first glance it seems arguably worse than the original client, and that's a pretty impressive feat.

Is this a disaster they are working on or have I just not "gotten used to it"?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Xilren's Twin

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 05:48:31 AM

I'll just repost what i put in the below thread

A few months back i was beta testing it and not only did it not add a single improvement that I could find, it was also buggy as hell.  I think in 10+ trys and just regular games, drafts, sealed etc i was never able to complete a full 3 game match due to crashes and bugs.  You name it, it didnt work right - deck construction, collection filters, chat channels, games themselves.  And these were issues known for weeks/months.  My first post on the beta boards was basically how shocked i was at the state it was in consifering how long it had been in development.  I think most testers got so frustrated they gave up (i know i did).  They were even giving booster packs to the real game away to testers who participated in certain events and they still couldnt get enough people on.  Think about that - people refusing to play free magic b/c the client was that bad.

Who knows, maybe they "Miracle Patched TM" it.  awesome, for real

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:03:31 AM

God it's bad.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 11:35:38 PM

I'm tryint remember when a new client wasn't bad.

It makes me cry

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:20:23 PM

Wow.  This is terrible.

I couldn't even get the engine to turn over, let alone take the game for a spin.  Fuck me.  I did get a game (my first) working, but holy shit this is an awful UI and workflow.  I guess you guys can see through the myriad of shitty software design decisions to see a real game here.  I'm baffled.  The crotchpheasants have me!

7:26 PM [sSET PRM R] Welcome to Magic Online!  If you need assistance please find a member of the ORC team (Online Response Crew).  If there's not one in this room, please click Menu > Help > Chat with Support or check out the '[a:url=http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnline.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/howdoi]How Do I[/a]' page.  Have fun!
7:26 PM New Player Tickets can be used to help join the New Player Phantom Sealed queue and the New Player Phantom Draft queue. You can find both of those queues in the Limited Queues room.
7:31 PM Soln: I just joined and I've been unable to start a newbie game.  Doesnt the starter pack come with pre-build decks?
7:31 PM ORC_Booker: [@P]It Does Soln yes![/@]
7:31 PM ORC_Booker: [@P]To access the planeswalker decks, hit the load button in the deck editor or the browse button on the New Game Menu. This will pull up the Load Deck Menu. Change the Look In: Drop down tab to Theme Decks. Open the Planeswalker 2013 folder - Those are where your Planeswalker 2013 decks are located. [/@]7:31 PM ORC_Booker is away - If you need immediate assistance, seek out another ORC in Chat with Support! (Menu->Help->Chat with Support)
7:45 PM Soln: Folks, the problem I'm having is that the starter pack doesn't seem to be included.  I'm trying to start a new game (my first) and after choosing Planeswalker 2013 I get the dialog on a new game that I don't own any of them.  So, how I can know what starter decks I have?
7:46 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]Soln, have you opened your New Account package?[/@]
7:46 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]To get started on Magic Online click the "Collection" tab at the bottom of the screen and find the [a:url=card://2000070][@xFF006600][@b]Magic Online New Account Starter Kit[@n][/@][/a], then right click on it and choose "Open."  It comes with 2 Event Tickets, 1 Magic 2013 booster, 1 Planeswalker 2013 Deck Pack, [a:url=http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/07242012d]four New Player Tickets[/a], 5 Avatars, and a group of Magic 2013 cards that will give you access to numerous pre-built decks so you can get started right away. [/@]
7:46 PM Soln: yes I did awhile ago -- how can I check?
7:47 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]Soln, open your collection, you should be able to see how many objects are in your collection.[/@]
7:48 PM Soln: I see 988 cards
7:49 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]That most likely means you have oepend the New Account package, Soln.[/@]
7:50 PM Soln: yes in Magic Online\Decks\Planeswalker 2013
7:51 PM Soln: I just select any of them and several of the cards appear in red in the Deck Editor, and I'm unable to create any new game because they are apparently missing.  Im very confused :(
7:52 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]Soln, you want to ensure you are not using the 2013 expansion decks, as they are not in the starter pack.[/@]
7:52 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]You can find a breakdown of the Planeswalker Deck packs [a:url=http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2184/kw/2184?id=5]here[/a]. [/@]7:52 PM Soln: ok how do I do that?  I jsut want to select a .dek file to play a starter game
7:54 PM Soln: let me try a more basic question: does the Planeswalker 2013 deck include all the cards so I can do a game or do I need to purchase the missing cards in red?  Im confused because I thought I got a basic set to just get started.  Thanks
7:54 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]Soln, your starter pack should include all the cards necessary to play some of the decks.[/@]
7:54 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]You should be able to use the following 2013 Planeswalker format decks : Ajani, Chandra, Garruk, Jace, Krenko, Liliana, Odric, Nefarox, Yeva, and Talrand.[/@]
7:56 PM Soln: those are not listed.  I have things like AncientWilds.dek and Aura Servants.dek and others
7:58 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]Soln, will you try one of the decks from the Planeswalker 2012 folder for me please?[/@]
7:59 PM Soln: it list things Ancient Depths.dek Apex Predators.dek and others
7:59 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]Right.  Will you try a few of those out for me?[/@]
8:00 PM Soln: those seem to load
8:00 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]You seem to have the Planeswalker 2012 Deck Pack, not the Planeswalker 2013 pack, Soln.[/@]
8:01 PM Soln: then why is the folder there? thats where I was told to look
8:01 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]Soln, new users receive the 2013 pack as part of their New Account package.[/@
8:01 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]Your account was most likely registered before we switched from 2012 to 2013.[/@]
8:02 PM Soln: ok so do I need to buy 2013 to play?
8:02 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]You do not need to, no.[/@]
8:02 PM ORC_Booker is back
8:04 PM Soln: thanks, so should I buy 2013?  has everyone moved on?
8:04 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]Soln, all of the Planeswalker deck packs are playable in the Planeswalker format at any given time.[/@]
8:05 PM Soln: ok thanks
8:05 PM ORC_Dova: [@P]You're welcome. [/@]

schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 08:59:29 PM

I cant stress this enough. No one except competitive players testing or grinding should play modo. Fucking EVER.
Aza
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 08:22:43 PM

It's true, MTGO is such an impressive waste of potential, especially with the advent of the Beta client.

-The UI tries to defeat you - and I actually prefer the beta client to the alpha, since it is my first client, at least it is moderately more intuitive than the alpha
-Good luck figuring out the game (you sure as heck won't get any help from the program)
-Due to level of inaccessibility, only the good players stay, demoralizing new players who lose money/tickets
-etcetc

MTG is such a good game, if only Wizards looked at Wizard101 or LoL, copied some things, and made some card product more accessible for noobs, they would do the brand right. The Hex MMO will try to beat them to it in the online space.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 05:45:08 AM

I'm torn about it.  Its bad for all the reasons everyone knows, so I won't say them again.  On the other hand, it is also Magic that I can play anytime.  I haven't invest all that much into it, but I have a couple reasonable standard decks and the Pauper format is affordable to anyone.  Obviously it isn't a good way to learn the game; for a newbie I imagine it is terrible.  But as someone who was just looking for a way to get in a few games of magic now and again with full deck building it more or less gives me that. 
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:27:56 AM

I'm torn about it.  Its bad for all the reasons everyone knows, so I won't say them again.  On the other hand, it is also Magic that I can play anytime.  I haven't invest all that much into it, but I have a couple reasonable standard decks and the Pauper format is affordable to anyone.  Obviously it isn't a good way to learn the game; for a newbie I imagine it is terrible.  But as someone who was just looking for a way to get in a few games of magic now and again with full deck building it more or less gives me that. 

You are spot on, but that doesn't change the problems that exist with both the current client and the new one.  As someone who played a ton of competitive magic before hopping online I had to spend a lot of time learning the esoteric ins and outs (trading, finding the 'classifieds' section, looking at old sealed pools, etc) but nothing about the beta makes that more elegant or easier.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 06:09:37 PM

So I recovered my PW today. Good lord this client is shit.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 08:15:51 AM

This is all shit.  Everything about this from the reset front end to the website, to the client, is utter, utter dogshit.

Hex (and I am loathe to say this) is going to render this shit obsolete.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:30:46 AM

Hex (and I am loathe to say this) is going to render this shit obsolete.

You misspelled "love." I don't even know where the "ath" came from. You even fucked up the grammar.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:32:16 AM

Aye, your views are on record mate.   awesome, for real

(But seriously, I've been out of MtGO for YEARS.  How come I peek my nose in and it's worse than it was ?  How's that even possible ?)

schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 08:34:23 AM

I don't know what to tell you. The MTGO client's UI is maybe the worst thing on the planet. The fact it accounts for something like 18% of Wizards Magic revenue BLOWS MY FUCKING MIND.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:51:03 AM

All that tells me is that there's a market waiting to explode.

Enter Hex.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 09:54:34 AM

I agree with the Scot. I'd seen you guys bitching for a while, but hadn't experienced it until I decided to reactivate and dump my cards. 

It's just 90 kinds of terrible.  And the one thing you really want out of a card game - seeing the cards up-close - is fucking terrible to figure out AND the formatting on all of them is fucked up.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 11:38:30 AM

JESUS CHRIST, WHAT THE FUCK BASIC WEBSITE NO WORK.

THIS IS UTTER, UTTER FUCKING CLOWNSHOES.

schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 11:41:00 AM

So, you and the wife gonna play Hex?
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 12:19:19 PM

Their ORC's are also execrable.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 12:26:01 PM

So, you and the wife gonna play Hex?

All signs point to Yes.

schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 12:48:02 PM

BRAVO
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 03:03:10 PM

MTGO is bad now, but holy shit the Beta.  It's like a doctor saying 'So we've cured your diabetes but in the process you became epileptic'
WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 11:51:29 AM

Dammit. Downloaded this last night to take a look at my collection tonight..and now you tell me that not only didn't they fix the UI, they made it worse? That is a pretty impressive feat.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 01:41:05 PM

It's so bad.   I had, however, forgotten how many bloody nice cards I had.

Also, zombies.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 02:20:13 PM

For some reason when I try to download the new client it fails every time at the end for some non-descriptive reason.  Looks like the old client for me.
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 07:05:08 PM

It's so bad.   I had, however, forgotten how many bloody nice cards I had.

Also, zombies.
Donate the collection to f13 =D
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 01:49:51 AM

I'm going to donate the collection to Ebay.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 06:37:58 AM

Weak.

Also, MODO collections sell like shit on Ebay.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 06:44:42 AM

In seriousness, the wife and I will probably get a few games in to prepare for the Onslaught that is Hex, beyond that I have no plans.  I suspect, much like the 14 boxes of cards in the garage, my digital collection will stay with me until I die.

why so serious?

schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 06:55:12 AM

Sad :(
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 03:37:33 PM

Wait...is this another new client and not just the old new client? And it's even worse than that?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 05:56:46 PM

They redid the old new client. I'm not kidding.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 08:52:47 AM

Feeling a bit flush after going through my old paper cards and adding up their values (anyone want an unplayed mint Bazaar of Baghdad or Library of Alexandria?), I decided $10 wasn't too expensive to give this a whirl.

I don't see what everyone's complaining about. We have a beta client for Windows 95 and the old client for 3.1. Seems like everything's covered. ACK!

It was worth coughing up ten bucks, for screwing around with the non-tradeable newbie decks and seeing how the whole thing works, but I'm predicing the guys at Crypto are going to be getting very wealthy.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 09:50:12 AM

Fun fact, I have 5 Bazaar of Baghdad. No one wants any of them. So I'm just sort of hording Bazaars.

I'd be happy to sell your cards for you for whatever I can get at the next big event though.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 10:40:45 PM

Is MODO different than Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: MTGO - New Client  
Jump to: