Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:48:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Argo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Argo  (Read 14343 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: October 12, 2012, 12:44:47 PM

Just saw this. It is really well done. If you like historical or spy type of stories it is a very good one.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:18:47 PM

I am very much interested in seeing this.

But really, was it even close to being as good as Cloak and Daggerwhy so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 03:27:06 PM

But really, was it even close to being as good as Cloak and Daggerwhy so serious?

My 11 year old self loved that movie!  Thanks for the reminder.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Horik
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 08:40:02 PM

Affleck has gone 3 for 3. Absolutely worth seeing.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 08:46:22 PM

Affleck has gone 3 for 3.
Is that the code for a dead hooker in his trailer?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 05:45:17 AM

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this one.

Affleck directed and has Bryan Cranston in it? Yes, please.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 02:25:30 PM

That's a 10-82

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 07:44:14 AM

Actually, he's Mr. 94.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 08:22:54 AM

That's a 10-82

Thumbs up!

He was the bomb in Phantoms, yo!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 10:51:12 AM

Went to see this on Friday with the husband and my mom.  It was excellently done.  I was only in 7th grade in 1980 so I don't remember much about the whole hostage situation except for the yellow ribbons and that they were held for over a year.  No recollection of the 6 that escaped or anything; mom says she doesn't really remember anything about them either, so it was a good history lesson as well.  I do remember thinking "did people really smoke that much then?"

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 11:52:42 AM

Saw this a few weeks ago with a friend of mine when I was back in the US - very well done. Showing the process of document (and back then, visa stamp plate) destruction was a nice touch.

The portions in the consular section towards the beginning made me chuckle a bit, especially the applicants not knowing how to complete the applications - I guess some things never change.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 12:22:59 PM

I also hear it's good.  I also hear from folks who know about it that there wasn't enough about the Canadians.  

edit: editing
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:30:23 PM by Soln »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 10:52:06 AM

Saw this a few days ago just before it disappeared round here. Really enjoyed it, would be a great DVD pick up if you missed it. Stands comparison with Charlie Wilson's War, its not quite on the same level, but worth seeing for all the same reasons.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 07:50:52 AM

I considered the blu ray, but was demoralized by the complaints about historical inaccuracy (all foreign heroes changed to Americans) and a horrible portrayal of Iran (every Iranian is either angry and shouting or a victim getting beaten by the former).

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 09:45:33 AM

I considered the blu ray, but was demoralized by the complaints about historical inaccuracy (all foreign heroes changed to Americans) and a horrible portrayal of Iran (every Iranian is either angry and shouting or a victim getting beaten by the former).

The first complaint does not make sense to me because the film clearly identified several non-US heroes and included a scene in which the Canadians are openly thanked. Which hero was converted to an American?  There aren't that many characters.

6 State department employees > all Americans
CIA characters > Americans
Canadian Ambassador and his wife > Canadians
Iranian housekeeper > Iranian

What other non-US, non-Iranian people were involved in the incident that were ignored or converted to American?

As far as the angry Iranians go, that matches my memory of the events as portrayed by the US news media at the time. (Yes, I am old enough to remember.) I also don't think their anger was misplaced or unjustified.  They had been ruled by a butcher much like Saddam Hussein for 30 years and he was scooped from the jaws of justice by the foreign power who put him in place!

I have never played WoW.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 10:28:04 AM

The film was about America, Americans, American attitudes (good and bad, personal, institutional, and public) and a little bit about conflating Hollywood with real life, for good or ill. The Iranians aren't really filled out because the film isn't about them. If you want you can bitch that nobody makes films about Iranians, but that isn't the fault of people making a film about America.

Anyway, best picture? Why not I guess. Nothing stands out as head and shoulders above it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:32:50 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 10:33:38 AM

Good speech by Affleck, half expecting him to say 'so we can all forget about Gigli now right?'

Who knew cameraman from True Lies is a producer and classy by Clooney to not even speak. That dude is just too fucking cool.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 10:40:59 AM

Hopefully this will mean he no longer feels the need to cast himself in his movies from here out.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 12:33:16 PM

I saw Argo on a plane last week.  It is a good movie.  The fact that is won Best Picture says a lot (not good) about film as art these days.  The movie does not belong in the same zip code as films like Shine, The English Patient, et al.  None of the nominees were of that quality (according to what I heard since I only saw Argo).

I have never played WoW.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 12:56:22 PM

The English Patient was awful.  Fargo or Shine should have won that year.

This winning best picture isn't some grand statement on the current state of film as art.  It's just the way the Oscars work sometimes.  Hell, Shakespeare in Love won in '98 against American Beauty, Thin Red Line, Saving Private Ryan and Elizabeth; all of which were superior films, artistically.  That was just two years after The English Patient won in '96.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 01:32:18 PM

American Beauty is overrated there I said itwhy so serious?

(This does not mean Shakespeare in Love should've won, of course, that was certainly odd as well.)

God Save the Horn Players
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 01:38:11 PM

I liked American Beauty. A bit pretentious, but still well done.

The English Patient was fucking romance novel dreck masquerading as art and I hated every second of it that didn't involve Sayeed from Lost.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 01:45:08 PM

To say American Beauty is dire would be massively understating things.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 01:51:07 PM

I just don't get why people hate Afflec so much, I mean he's done some stinkers but what actor hasn't? In my mind he's proved he has some chops as an actor with his latest movies.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 01:58:01 PM

AFFLECK WAS THE BOMB IN PHANTOMS, Y0!

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 02:09:27 PM

The English Patient was awful.  Fargo or Shine should have won that year.

This winning best picture isn't some grand statement on the current state of film as art.  It's just the way the Oscars work sometimes.  Hell, Shakespeare in Love won in '98 against American Beauty, Thin Red Line, Saving Private Ryan and Elizabeth; all of which were superior films, artistically.  That was just two years after The English Patient won in '96.

I understand and agree.  All of those films were much more Oscar worthy than Argo. Argo was a solid drama.  It got lucky to be released in a year of weak competition.

I have never played WoW.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 03:09:02 PM

I just don't get why people hate Afflec so much, I mean he's done some stinkers but what actor hasn't? In my mind he's proved he has some chops as an actor with his latest movies.

Daredevil.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 03:10:40 PM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 03:11:48 PM

He has been in or made plenty of good movies.

But he hasn't been a good actor in any of them.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 03:27:03 PM

It got lucky to be released in a year of weak competition.

This statement is not factual.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 03:34:31 PM

Daredevil.

I've heard that Daredevil is actually not a terrible movie if you see the director's cut, as they apparently cut out a lot of important stuff.  I'm not willing to find out personally, though. 

Over and out.
Aza
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 04:22:41 PM

I've heard good things.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 04:52:03 PM

I'm not saying he's done stinkers but we forgave Clooney for batman and robin didn't we?

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 06:57:31 PM

Daredevil.

I've heard that Daredevil is actually not a terrible movie if you see the director's cut, as they apparently cut out a lot of important stuff.  I'm not willing to find out personally, though. 

It doesn't make it a great movie but it does make it better.  It's a hell of a lot better than fucking Elecktra that's for sure. 
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 07:38:05 PM

Well, there's a reason I said 'not terrible' as opposed to 'good'.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Over and out.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Argo  
Jump to: