Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:30:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Arrow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arrow  (Read 95614 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: October 10, 2012, 08:46:42 PM

Not the shitshow I thought it would be. Super-cliched and predictable as fuck, but I actually kind of enjoyed it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:12:40 AM

Tivoed it but haven't watched it yet. I was hoping it wasn't terrible.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 09:44:33 AM

It was better than I expected, enough to at least leave the series recording intact for now. Darker than I'd thought it would be. Admittedly I never read Green Arrow really, but if this series is to be believed, he's Batman with a bow, and possibly less moral qualms.

Personally I always pictured Oliver Queen as British, not a playboy American from notVancouver.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:20:43 PM

Green Arrow is Batman if Batman was a raging liberal and a huge womanizer.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 02:13:11 PM

Green Arrow is Batman if Batman was a raging liberal and a huge womanizer.

And willing to actually kill people. I do like the fact that a guy who uses a bow and arrow actually is willing to shoot bad guys with it.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:37:46 AM

It was entertaining but had some big plot holes. I think the series needs to establish A) how he learned languages, martial arts and archery on that island and B) where he got his specialized arrows. He has one arrow that is critical to the plot but it is never explained where he got it from.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:58:18 PM

Arrow picked up for a full season (nine more episodes ordered)

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 06:20:31 PM

I like the show so far and glad they picked it up for a full season. 
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 10:04:15 PM

It is continuing to hold my interest. I find it odd that they have a beef cake shot in every episode yet other than that the show seems setup to appeal more to male viewers. I don't know if they just are hoping to bring in their usual female audience as well or what. Also, the actress who is playing his ex-girlfriend got some acting lessons since I saw her last on Supernatural.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 07:24:25 AM

Okay, so I watched two episodes of this and all I can remember are the parts where he worked out.  I just can't seem to get past it.  I even watched the first one over to catch more of the story but no luck.  Just the working out.  So now I just skip to the working out parts.  Just makes sense.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 06:24:25 AM

The other night we gave this a shot and ended up watching three episodes in a row. For what it is, it's not bad. Certainly better than most of the other sad offerings the networks gave us this year like Revolution. The fact that I'm shipping he and his sister rather than what I believe is intended to be the love interest is a little creepy, but what can you do.

As to the beefcake, neither of us was complaining, but I will say that the main reason I checked the show out was every guy on my Facebook feed watches it. And surprise, they're all gay.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 04:47:45 PM

The part I'm actually finding I like quite a bit is they aren't completely pretending this show happens in some non-DC bubble, with the costumed villians starting to show up.  Still pretending that there isn't a world full of super heroes already though.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 06:08:07 PM

My wife can't get into this because the green arrow from the smallville series is jammed in her head and she can't re-imagine the green arrow.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 02:32:13 AM

Tell her to do what I do (although I've never even seen the Green Arrow from that other show).  Just watch the bits where he works out, tune out the rest... your own story will develop in your mind.  Works for me.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 10:14:19 AM

This show makes me wish Dresden Files was true to the books.

<3 Blackthorne.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 11:03:14 AM

Dresden was a product of having a really tiny budget, sadly.  The producer was pretty up front about this somewhere, think it was on Butcher's website.  They did do some interesting things though at least, and it wasn't a complete travesty.  It does make me sad that shows like this seem to get a larger budget than that did though.  I am glad that Blackthorne is starting to pop up in a lot of places though, he's actually a decent actor.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 08:26:49 PM

So this is back and its better than the Shield  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Felicity is hot nerd chick done right  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS Second season is looking mighty strong...and its basically apology letter to everything that happened a season before, normally I'd hate it but THIS show sets up the drama and the consequences just right that I can actually enjoy reading this apology letter. Laurie is still the most boring bland whitebread character in the series...but meh can't be all awesome. I honestly hope her "on heels" kungfu only happens once a season.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 05:45:44 AM

So this is back and its better than the Shield  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Felicity is hot nerd chick done right  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS Second season is looking mighty strong...and its basically apology letter to everything that happened a season before, normally I'd hate it but THIS show sets up the drama and the consequences just right that I can actually enjoy reading this apology letter. Laurie is still the most boring bland whitebread character in the series...but meh can't be all awesome. I honestly hope her "on heels" kungfu only happens once a season.

Her character is what bothers me the most, as well. Mainly because I just don't buy the acting from the actress. Its not that she's bad.. its more that she's just notably so much worse than the rest of the cast at delivering their characters. Still, I'm not overly thrilled with the whole 'refrain from killing thing', but that's always was a pet peeve of mine with comics and shows.

Also agree with Felicity; I really like her 'hot nerd chick' character, especially compared to the one in Shield. Primarily because the actress gets a number of mannerisms down that 'feel' right to me compared to the utter lack of such from Sky in Shield.

Arrow has done really well at delivering the corny in a respectable manner.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 12:15:29 PM

Felicity was Smoak'n!

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 12:57:54 PM

So this is back and its better than the Shield  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
I keep forgetting there's an Agents of Shield show, and thought you meant The Shield.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 12:35:26 PM

This is probably my favorite show so far this season.  Felicity is awesome.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 01:17:57 PM

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 01:24:17 PM

I love her slip ups on the show.  I laughed in the first episode this season when she puts Oliver's workout area right in front of her computer desk.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:34:16 PM by Evildrider »
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 01:26:50 PM

A chick gotta perv  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 10:16:38 AM

They are doing this at least once per episode.  Best part of a great show, that girl is freaking perfect.  Also, am i crazy or did the change the blonde triad chick for one less asian looking? and who the hell is black wolverine?

I am the .00000001428%
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 11:41:44 AM

China White is the same actress and Michael Jai White is Bronze Tiger.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 12:40:53 PM

I liked Arrow so far but I think that the whole no killing -thing might turn into something that will "sanitize" the show (which would be a shame in my opinion especially if the change in theme will affect the island flashbacks)
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 12:57:20 PM

I think the island will remain brutal.... I don't know Ollie killing everyone he meets means no rouge's gallery.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 12:59:08 PM

I liked Arrow so far but I think that the whole no killing -thing might turn into something that will "sanitize" the show (which would be a shame in my opinion especially if the change in theme will affect the island flashbacks)

We just saw him smash someone's face to bits with a rock on the island.

I am the .00000001428%
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 01:45:42 PM

And I fear that will be the reason they'll have him changing his behaviour on the island just like his friend dying is the reason he isn't killing the bad guys anymore.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 05:07:05 PM

Just started watching this on Netflix. Wow it really is pretty good. Only 1/2 way through the second episode, but I'm already impressed.

Not reading anymore here until I catch up.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 05:10:15 PM

And I fear that will be the reason they'll have him changing his behaviour on the island just like his friend dying is the reason he isn't killing the bad guys anymore.

I think island Ollie and starlet city Ollie mirror each other. Remember first season when Ollie couldn't kill a chicken on the island but mascaraed kidnappers sent by his mom? Remember when how each episode racked up a kill count, but on the island Ollie couldn't hurt a fly and learned to fight reluctantly? Now the reverse is true, Ollie is going out of his way to disable criminals while the island Ollie just curb-stomped someone face with a rock for looking at his girl wrong.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 12:58:44 PM

This is shit.

For more insightful and verbose commentary, please visit my website.  www.thingsareshit.com

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 09:22:41 AM

Better than buffy.  They do seem to be in a big damn hurry to use all the tropes.  I guess that is to be expected.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 09:46:22 AM

Not sure I'll call it better than buffy. I mean that show hit a few cords right that I'm not sure this show can. For example it gave us a persistent threat level for everything not just for big bads. Few times I feel that Ollie is struggling to do anything besides the season finale. While Buffy, she made it look easy but you kinda got the sense that one mistake leads to horrible death (and she is already a fallible person to begin with), which makes her taking out generic vampires far more interesting and visceral than Ollie mowing down arm gunmen. Olie is very much a force of nature in his own show which made much of the first season feel rather cheesy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Arrow  
Jump to: