Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:28:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Steam Sale $25 for the next 24hrs [ended] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam Sale $25 for the next 24hrs [ended]  (Read 18310 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

on: October 03, 2012, 04:46:29 PM

Deserves it's own thread.  Anyways, worth it.  Even if it is kinda lonely in here.   Heartbreak

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:32:09 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:52:02 PM

I'm so tempted, but crap got GW2 and TL2 eating up all of my time...
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:34:35 PM

Deserves it's own thread.  Anyways, worth it.  Even if it is kinda lonely in here.   Heartbreak

Buying it for a friend and just came back from Holidays but forgot to jump on the f13 channel.

Hope to see more people soon!  awesome, for real
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 11:19:41 PM

Pretty good deal.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 12:25:47 AM

I really wish this was free to play. I hear so many good things about it but another sub on top of WoW and EvE is too much.

Strangely, I spend more cash on LoL and GW2 microtransactions - if TSW was the same I'd probably justify lashing out on the game.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 06:15:14 AM

Sorely, sorely tempted.  Don't know if I really have the time to be playing a MMOG these days.  We'll see if I crack by the end of the day.

Is the consensus that this game is actually good?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:26:50 AM by Special J »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 07:28:31 AM

Yeah, it's good.  It's also made by Funcom, so, there's that.

Not everyone here has liked it, but for me, it was a very fun (mostly solo) experience. It can be difficult and a bit frustrating in parts, but the overall experience is worth doing. And while not terribly interactive, the story being told and tread upon is unlike anything sharing the MMO space.  They arguably did the story driven MMO a lot better than SWTOR.

I'm no longer playing, mostly because after the last story bit, I felt like I had "beat the game".  I don't, as a rule, dick around long in a game I've aced.  The dungeons weren't sticky enough to try to do nightmare modes and the mechanics and presence of so much CC made PVP unappealing.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:30:38 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 07:34:12 AM

It's worth the box price, if you don't play after the first month you will still have got your value as if you had bought a single player game.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 09:21:11 AM

It's worth the box price, if you don't play after the first month you will still have got your value as if you had bought a single player game.

This. I never made is past Egypt, and finally canned my sub the other day, knowing I'd have no time to play with X-Com coming out next week. But it was a worthwhile purchase and I subbed for 2 months.

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 12:07:31 PM

Dammit.  I'm such a sucker.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 05:42:34 PM

It's a great game at a great price, the suckers are the ones not getting this :)

I am the .00000001428%
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 08:24:09 PM

It's a great game at a great price, the suckers are the ones not getting this :)

Don't buy it because it's a MMO... Buy it for the story you get which you can share if you choose to. It's an awesome game. It would have been a better game if it wasn't an mmo actually. And it's not a horrid MMO. I got my money''s worth.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 11:39:37 PM

My problem now is finding people to play.  Even well known cabals are consolidating, including mine.   Ohhhhh, I see.    I'm stuck in trans on hard missions that require some grouping and no one's around.  I mean literally... no one.  It ramps up the creepy, lonely yet awesome factor but it'd be nice having some help.  I may just plow through the story mission and continue on with NM's, lairs, etc.

Oh and the sale is over obviously. heh.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 09:23:50 AM

Well I've had two nights to play around and my first impressions are really good.  I've been pumping points into pistols/sword, because well, it looked cool.  Quests are actually more fun than 'club 10 weasels and come back and see me'.

Even though I made myself a basic sword with it, I am completely  swamp poop about the crafting. Don't care much for crafting anyways.

Some stupid questions:
Is there a bank?
Where should I be looking to find a group?
Are there abilities I need to work on or risk gimping myself?

So at the very least I'll get my 25 bucks worth for sure.  And I couldn't even get through a free weekend of SWTOR.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 09:35:58 AM

There is a bank, in london.  It also double as auction house and post office.  Also it is impossible to gimp yourself as AP and SP are unlimited, whatever mistakes you make you can simply correct as you go.

I am the .00000001428%
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 05:45:42 PM

You only really need a group for the instances (Polaris, Hell Motel [Hell raised?], The Darkness War) until you get to Egypt/Romania for some of the quests.

Buildwise, you can't gimp yourself but you can definitely slow yourself down if you dabble into too many different weapons/trees. It just means you'll be more versatile earlier but missing some random trump cards until later.

I went (Heavy) Blades/Pistols (Light) to start off and recommend the following for a penetration blades setup:

Stunning Swirl, Twist the Knife, Incision, Flight of Daggers, Surging Blades

Also pick up Dark Potency in Blood magic if you're going more Pistols than Blades (Dark Potency = Fatal Flourish for less points)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 10:01:15 PM

Remember you can use the standard LFG tool for general questing as well as dungeon runs.

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 06:54:42 AM

Almost done in Kingsmouth.  Going to try and find a group for the instance before I move on.  Are there quests I should go find first?

Are decks really just suggested loadouts with an outfit unlock?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 06:57:51 AM

You get dungeon quests automatically when you zone in.  Yes to your decks question, most of them are barely "ok" but the outfits are cool!

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 09:12:07 AM

I worked toward a build I like with the intent of putting excess AP towards the closest and coolest outfits.  (Note: I didn't get any except for a few of the first-tier unlocks.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 12:31:19 PM

If you want to go pick up the Polaris quest first to see the pre-instance cut scene and back story, it's at the orochi camp on the north bridge out of town on the east side of the map.  This assumes I remember my way around the map though.  It's a purple quest though and only shares a slot with other dungeon quests, and since it automatically picks up the quest for whatever dungeon you just entered, it doesn't get in the way if you just move on.  The dungeon entrance is the helicopter next to the bridge, the quest giver is standing a bit back from it on the bridge.
Genev
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 02:46:08 PM

it's at the orochi camp on the north bridge out of town on the east side of the map.  This assumes I remember my way around the map though
West, not east :)
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 04:15:14 PM

Northern part in the center, just north of the eastern part of town :)
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 05:24:21 PM

Almost done in Kingsmouth.  Going to try and find a group for the instance before I move on.  Are there quests I should go find first?

Are decks really just suggested loadouts with an outfit unlock?

Some decks provide a useful basis but generally I'd ask in the forum and pick skills that you fit and are on the way to cool outfits.

I have the Paladin deck and it's sweet but I don't like the focus (hehe punny) on skills
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Steam Sale $25 for the next 24hrs [ended]  
Jump to: