Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:29:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2013 NBA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013 NBA  (Read 78200 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #385 on: June 19, 2013, 06:26:53 AM

EDIT: Refs or not, you wonder if Duncan gets that rebound at the end of the 4th quarter if he isn't on the bench.

I heard an interview with Sam Mitchell, the Coach of the Year when he was at the Raptors, and he believed that Pop overcoached that moment. He said that often he felt pressure in his games to make moves from a strategic standpoint when the best decision was to leave your best players on the floor.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #386 on: June 19, 2013, 06:40:29 AM

Well, that is Popovich's style.  Most of the time it works for him.  Sometimes it doesn't.  The Spurs are at a deficit in regards to athletic ability in many instances, both due to old age and personnel decisions which are made to ensure that they have players who fit the mold they are looking for, i.e. team players, not the glory hounds.  Guys like Stephen Jackson don't stick around long with the Spurs.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:48:09 AM by ghost »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #387 on: June 19, 2013, 06:44:07 AM

That's not to say that they can't win this. A while back this was the matchup I wanted, specifically because I didn't see anybody else out of the West that I thought could defensively frustrate Miami. They've done that twice now in Miami, and there's no reason why they can't do it again on Thursday.

I'm still undecided on my pick.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #388 on: June 19, 2013, 06:48:42 AM

I'm going with the Heat by 10-15. 
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #389 on: June 19, 2013, 09:53:41 AM

Congrats Spurs. 

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #390 on: June 19, 2013, 10:02:24 AM

Hey, I was right last night.  For once.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #391 on: June 19, 2013, 10:05:21 AM

Heat wins if James plays without his headband awesome, for real
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #392 on: June 19, 2013, 10:12:25 AM

He looks better without it. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: June 19, 2013, 10:51:19 AM

It's funny, after watching the Ginobli and Green no-calls about a million times in slow-motion, it's pretty apparent that they actually weren't fouls.  The refs got it right there.  Ginobli should get no respect from the refs anyways trying to "run" (if you can call that running) into the teeth of the Miami defense set in the lane, covering the ball up, traveling, etc.  Allen deserves more credit for that defensive play imo.
And Green?  awesome, for real   Yah, raising up at the 3-point line against a 7-footer who's in your hip pocket deserves a foul call every time.

Spurs fans need to shuttup and take the loss with some class.  And Bayless should diaf.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #394 on: June 19, 2013, 11:07:40 AM

I did learn something watching the finals:  James is no Jordan.  NOT EVEN CLOSE.  For his size, strength, and skill level the guy didn't take the game over when he had the chance.  Too many missed shots and turnovers.  He also whines... a lot. 

To be totally fair, he's a better defender than MJ, and a better get-other-guys-involved type player as well. To me he's more like Magic than MJ.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #395 on: June 19, 2013, 11:21:00 AM

And Bayless should diaf.

If you are talking about Skip Bayless, this is true in all situations.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: June 19, 2013, 11:43:57 AM

To be totally fair, he's a better defender than MJ, and a better get-other-guys-involved type player as well. To me he's more like Magic than MJ.

Not a fair comparison at all.  They are a very different style of player. 

Example: MJ had 2.3 steals and 0.8 blocks over his career at the 2 position.  As a shooting guard, MJ was the best defensive player of all time.  LeBron is a 4 (PF).  LeBron has 1.7 steals and 0.8 blocks as a small forward.  Probably top 5 for his position, but not the best.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #397 on: June 19, 2013, 11:46:49 AM

That's been the most frustrating thing to me when people compare great players in the NBA. They compare totally different positions. It's like comparing stats of an inside linebacker with a defensive end because they are both on the field at the same time.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: June 19, 2013, 11:48:25 AM

Not a fair comparison at all.  They are a very different style of player. 

Example: MJ had 2.3 steals and 0.8 blocks over his career at the 2 position.  As a shooting guard, MJ was the best defensive player of all time.  LeBron is a 4 (PF).  LeBron has 1.7 steals and 0.8 blocks as a small forward.  Probably top 5 for his position, but not the best.

But LeBron can effectively defend every single position, you can put him on just about anyone and he'll be effective. You couldn't put Jordan on a center, reasonably. Also, my recollection is that Scottie Pippen was the go-to guy for defending the best player on the teams the Bulls played, not MJ.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: June 19, 2013, 11:53:32 AM

But LeBron can effectively defend every single position, you can put him on just about anyone and he'll be effective. You couldn't put Jordan on a center, reasonably. Also, my recollection is that Scottie Pippen was the go-to guy for defending the best player on the teams the Bulls played, not MJ.

1) A good center would destroy LeBron.  You don't see LeBron defending Duncan well and Duncan isn't a great offensive center.

2) Magic could defend everyone... he just suffered against centers and quick pg's.  Being able to defend every position is not the same as being good at defending every position.   

2) About Pippen... ask yourself why?  Phil Jackson wanted MJ to save his energy for offense and the 4th quarter.  Good call imo.

The best defensive players in the NBA all time are almost entirely centers.  Big men have far more influence in the paint than a little guy.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #400 on: June 19, 2013, 12:17:00 PM

1) A good center would destroy LeBron.  You don't see LeBron defending Duncan well and Duncan isn't a great offensive center.

2) Magic could defend everyone... he just suffered against centers and quick pg's.  Being able to defend every position is not the same as being good at defending every position.   

2) About Pippen... ask yourself why?  Phil Jackson wanted MJ to save his energy for offense and the 4th quarter.  Good call imo.

The best defensive players in the NBA all time are almost entirely centers.  Big men have far more influence in the paint than a little guy.

Rasix

Reply #401 on: June 19, 2013, 01:08:22 PM

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: June 19, 2013, 01:16:35 PM

You lost me.

Again.

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #403 on: June 19, 2013, 02:29:59 PM

Why is there a video of a foul?
Rasix

Reply #404 on: June 19, 2013, 04:18:28 PM

This could have been messy.

tl;dr: Timmy shouldn't have been on the court for the final play in regulation.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #405 on: June 20, 2013, 08:48:19 AM

God I wish he would have won the game for them and this became a huge controversy...shit all over LeBron AND the NBA all at once? Yes please.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #406 on: June 20, 2013, 08:50:13 AM

It wouldn't have been any messier than the Tim Donaghy situation, which has been all but swept under the rug.  
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #407 on: June 20, 2013, 02:55:58 PM

I'm taking the Heat. Picked them in the beginning of the season, and I'm sticking with that.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: June 20, 2013, 02:56:51 PM

I don't really want it to be the Heat, but Tim Duncan played an awful lot of minutes recently for an old guy and I think he might be dragging too much today.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #409 on: June 20, 2013, 03:45:37 PM

Heat win. James is more marketable than either Parker or Duncan.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #410 on: June 20, 2013, 08:52:50 PM

First time I've picked a preseason winner! Wheee!

I went out on a limb with this one.  awesome, for real

Rasix

Reply #411 on: June 20, 2013, 08:56:18 PM

I don't think you're alone.  Facebook this year had very little Lebron taunting, even with this series being no lock.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: June 20, 2013, 09:00:24 PM

Better team won.

Duncan and the Spurs just missed their last opportunity for a championship.  If they make it to the finals again, it will be with a new (younger) cast.

I was impressed by Kawhi Leonard.  The guy is very athletic and has a lot of potential.  This experience should help him grow as a player.

-  Mark Twain
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: June 20, 2013, 10:50:33 PM

As much as people compare LBJ to MJ, tonite D-Wade had a pretty classic MJ (in his later years) type game.  Little banged up, tired, they're collapsing the lane, so start draining those 18ft jumpers fading.  He got it done the best way he could, considering.

Also, kudos to Spo for having the sense to leave in his best bench rotation longer and giving Battier more minutes.  The Heat played possessed with those lineups, and to me Battier was the most important piece of tonite's puzzle regardless of his 3's.  His presence on the floor really threw the Spurs off, and he's just a wickedly smart player (especially defensively).

I still have yet to figure out why he stuck with Chalmers so much through this series though, making Cole ride the bench.  Chalmers as expected almost cost them the Finals.  He is NOT a "star" point guard.  If I had to guess, I'd say they're planning to trade Chalmers and wanted to let him go out in style and with some value.  Cole is the future.

Spurs?  They were gassed.  As I've said before; Heat have too many talented bodies to throw at them.  Wore them down to the point their best player (Parker) sat out the final minute of the 4th quarter.  I'm sure the talking heads will wonder about that tomorrow, but the man was just done; having been guarded by Bron all night.

Surprised the game was that close tbh, but the Heat turnovers and missed FT's made it closer than it needed to be.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #414 on: June 21, 2013, 04:32:55 AM

The Spurs really missed a productive Manu Ginobili for most of the post season.  He had a decent (likely) last game.  But really, the guys that killed them in this game were Boris Diaw and Gary Neal, who just didn't hold their own on defense. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: June 21, 2013, 05:39:29 AM

Honestly, I think the credit goes to the Heat for just making the jump shots they had to.  Any 2 or 3 of those shots don't go down (and most of the series they weren't) and the game goes the other way.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: June 21, 2013, 07:12:34 AM

Honestly, I think the credit goes to the Heat for just making the jump shots they had to.  Any 2 or 3 of those shots don't go down (and most of the series they weren't) and the game goes the other way.

I think the credit goes to Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili.  None of them made a key shot when the team needed it.  Duncan missing both a layup and a putback in the final minutes followed by Ginobili throwing the ball away was the exclamation point on their season.

-  Mark Twain
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: June 21, 2013, 07:59:35 AM

If those shots weren't clicking then they had other ways to beat you.  It wasn't the be-all-end-all.  They can do whatever they've got to do to win aside from pound you inside.

Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: June 21, 2013, 08:17:10 AM

You know in stealth video games when you get caught and decide to go down in flames because you'll just restart anyway? Did Manu do that on his last possession?
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: June 28, 2013, 11:38:10 AM

So glad that UNLV forward Anthony Bennett got picked first in the draft. That is one crazy ass trade between the Celtics and the Nets though!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2013 NBA  
Jump to: