Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warplanes beta key giveaway 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warplanes beta key giveaway  (Read 17703 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

on: September 30, 2012, 07:51:20 PM

Closed beta keys available from MMORPG.com for those interested.
http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/376/World-of-Warplanes-Beta-Key-Giveaway.html
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 11:24:56 PM

Very cool...thanks for the link!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:21 AM

Yay!

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:29:55 AM

I keep reading that as Word of Warpants.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:03:40 AM

There was a similar giveaway on IGN.  I've been in the beta a while but havent had time to try it out.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:59:53 AM

I've been in since alpha.  I don't play much because my plane flying skills are nonexistent.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:15:37 PM

I've been in since alpha.  I don't play much because my plane flying skills are nonexistent.

Use a joystick with a throttle. Mouse and keyboard is shitpants for flying. I'm assuming you aren't using a joystick.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:18:37 PM

Use a joystick with a throttle. Mouse and keyboard is shitpants for flying. I'm assuming you aren't using a joystick.

It is.  I'm buying a joystick this weekend.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 05:43:50 AM

It is.  I'm buying a joystick this weekend.

Buy a stick with twist rudder control if you plan to play this seriously. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 06:36:38 AM

Your assumption is wrong, I just suck at flying.  I've known this since F16 Fighting Falcon came out for the Amiga, but I still nurture a secret hope that I might someday actually figure out the whole flying and fighting thing.   
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 08:32:51 AM

Wanna learn how to fly?  Join a wing in WW2O and let the officers show you the ropes.  I believe it's f2p now partially anyways, so yah. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 03:39:44 PM

WoWP isn't a flight sim. The control you get out of a joystick is only marginally better than KB/M.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 05:26:06 PM

The biggest difference the joystick made for me was that I didn't need to mash quite so many buttons since I could control the rudder by twisting and use the programmable buttons on the stick to replace key presses.  I still sucked at the actual air combat side of things but it was moderately less frustrating to use the joy stick.  Then I fired up my first MWO game with the stick plugged into my pc and found out that daring to have a joystick plugged in at game start made your mech uncontrollable.  I got that figured out after a bit but between the two betas I decided I'd stick to internet tanks and GW2 for the foreseeable future.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 09:34:11 AM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 09:36:24 AM

I forgot this was still going on.

I think that's all I need to say.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 10:12:45 AM

I may have a few comments on the 4th.  I just need a reminder.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 09:12:13 AM

Ripped apart by Jingles:
http://youtu.be/k8yev6MQp8I

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 09:29:40 AM

Ripped apart by Jingles:
http://youtu.be/k8yev6MQp8I

About halfway through his critique, he hit the nail on the head.  WoWP is like WoT in that it has a low barrier to entry but a steep learning curve.  Players will become disillusioned with WoWP quickly if they don't understand flight physics well and know the strengths and weaknesses of their planes.  You also need to carefully personalize the stick controls to fit your play.  I have no problem shooting down 3-4 planes a match in WoWP, but it took me quite a few matches to really understand how flight combat mechanics worked.  As someone that enjoys flight sims, I much prefer WoWP to WT but realize that I'm in the minority.  WoWP is definitely a niche game.

-  Mark Twain
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 10:03:56 AM

Can you elaborate why you like it more, Nebu? Because from what I saw there, it seems unchanged from earlier beta and I just couldn't get into it. Nevermind that the controls are poorly mapped (roll and pitch on arrow keys,wtf) and the damage model kinda hinky, but just the physics and graphics of WT seem to blow WoWP out of the water.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 10:07:23 AM

Coming from my non-flight sim background my overall impression is that War Thunder is more fun.  I find that I prefer playing in the virtual cockpit view or even cockpit view better than 3rd party only view that WoP has.  Being able to choose the level of flight realism is a big plus, sometimes I like just whipping around with a simplified model and sometimes I want to be all hard core and stuff.  The maps in WT are huge compared to WoP and the varied battle objectives are more engaging than same aerial death match over and over.  Finally WT has bombers which are surprisingly fun to play.  I will say that I think the battles in WoP tend to have better balance but otherwise I just prefer WT for my occasional need for an airplane fix.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 10:13:25 AM

I think you hit on another thing that just bugs me about WoWP; the maps in general don't feel 'real'. I feel like I'm playing with model air planes in a scaled environment rather than real planes in the real world.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 11:30:17 AM

Can you elaborate why you like it more, Nebu? Because from what I saw there, it seems unchanged from earlier beta and I just couldn't get into it. Nevermind that the controls are poorly mapped (roll and pitch on arrow keys,wtf) and the damage model kinda hinky, but just the physics and graphics of WT seem to blow WoWP out of the water.

When I played WT, the planes just felt too responsive to me.  There wasn't a feeling of drag, gravity, and kinetic energy bleed.  When I dogfight in WoWP I would often get a sore hand from trying to muscle my plane into maneuvers to get free.  Also, WoWP has a pretty extensive ability to alter your stick control sensitivity, which I also liked once the guys on the forums pointed it out. 

I will agree 100% that WT is the better game.  I like the runway repair mechanism, the varied objectives, and the ease of entry, but the game never appealed to my sense of actually flying a plane.   I think that I liked the steep learning curve of WoWP and the more "sim-ish" feel. 

Perhaps I need to give WT another go.  I didn't spend more than a few battles with it my first try.

-  Mark Twain
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 03:04:40 PM

Did you try Historical or Full Real Battles in WT, which take off a lot of the safety/training wheels? Like, for example, in Arcade mode, you cannot really stall out, while you certainly can in Historical and FRB battles.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 03:09:26 PM

Did you try Historical or Full Real Battles in WT, which take off a lot of the safety/training wheels? Like, for example, in Arcade mode, you cannot really stall out, while you certainly can in Historical and FRB battles.

I didn't.  Do they also introduce some control lag?  My biggest issue with the game was that the responsiveness was artificially good.  Planes react immediately as if there is no gravity or wind drag.  It just felt way too arcade-like for my tastes.

-  Mark Twain
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 04:01:55 PM

I can't speak to these items specifically, since these things on a computer can vary from rig to rig, but I can tell you that take off and landing are a far more tricky than in arcade mode. You cannot land a 109 at 280 kph and expect your wheels to not fall the heck off, for example.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 09:33:42 PM

Play Rise of Flight for a week and then log onto WT.  While I realize that they are meant to be very different games for a very different target audience, I think you'll see what I mean when I say that the planes in WT just don't "feel" right.  They're WAY too responsive, feel weightless in flight, and experience almost no drag or wind shear. I know this is by design, but when you expect it and it's gone, it messes with your mind.

-  Mark Twain
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 12:19:18 AM

Play Rise of Flight for a week and then log onto WT.  While I realize that they are meant to be very different games for a very different target audience, I think you'll see what I mean when I say that the planes in WT just don't "feel" right.  They're WAY too responsive, feel weightless in flight, and experience almost no drag or wind shear. I know this is by design, but when you expect it and it's gone, it messes with your mind.

I told you in the WT thread and I'll tell you again: if you expect realism in a game that offers a mode that says "arcade" and a mode called "full real" and you only play the arcade one and complain the game was too arcade I'd blame that mostly on your choice of the game mode.

I do think that even in full real you'll find the planes a tad too responsive, but all other physics like drag etc are very much in place.
also, the joystick settings are fully customizable in WT, too.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 05:29:26 AM

I do think that even in full real you'll find the planes a tad too responsive, but all other physics like drag etc are very much in place.
also, the joystick settings are fully customizable in WT, too.

WoWP allows you to alter controller scripts for joysticks.  Is this allowed in WT and is there a thread in the tech forums showing optimized settings for various joysticks?  (I'll look for the latter myself)

-  Mark Twain
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 07:12:42 AM

I'm on my cell so I can't link it but yes there is such a sub forum in the "technical difficulties " section concerned with control devices and people also put their profiles up there.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 09:05:34 AM

Nebu, also remember that Rise of Flight are WWI era bi planes and light air craft. You aren't going to feel half the drag and wind impositions on a WW2 era air craft simply because they were not at the mercy of it was much.

Now, if you were comparing WT to IL-2 Sturmovik, then I'd see your point, and yes, sure, a single player game who's entire engine is dedicated to the physics of a single plane in an AI environment is OF COURSE going to manage to simulate a more realistic feel than a multiplayer dog fight sim. Even the hard core Aces High (http://www.hitechcreations.com/) which has a very faithful flight model for ever plane, not 'dumbing it down' for the sake of multiplayer (no way in HELL a yak 9 can follow a 109 up to the ceiling, for instance) doesn't have that perfect pitch feel that a single player game will have.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 10:32:47 AM

I think I just made a poor choice of comparisons.  All I can say is that when I log onto WT and play, something is quite viscerally not right with the flight model.  It's the same way that I can't play an MMO with a character race that runs funny.  The 'feel' of it just ruins my play experience. 

I'll put more time into full real and see what I think.  Perhaps I just don't enjoy arcade flight games. 

-  Mark Twain
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 04:35:18 PM

Not really worth a new topic but this goes live on 9/26 in North America and Europe.  It's open beta right now, not really a ton of fun.  The WoT model of 15 on 15 on static maps doesn't really translate well to Airplanes.  WoT will be linked to it in the sense that gold and premium status will be shared between games so if you have Premium in WoT your WoWP account will have it as well.  At some point the tokens you earn in Open Beta will convert to gold usable by either game which is the only reason I still bother logging in to play a few games every couple days.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 07:40:35 AM

how does this compare to War Thunder?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 07:52:08 AM

how does this compare to War Thunder?

In my opinion: WT is a better 'game' and WoWP is a better flight model.  I think that WoWP will have a much steeper learning curve and this will alienate many gamers.  WT is more accessible, has more variety, and has a better list of iconic aircraft. 

I like the offerings that WT gives, but prefer to fly the planes and dogfight in WoWP.  I know most here will disagree with me.

-  Mark Twain
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #34 on: August 26, 2013, 08:52:45 AM

Also, WoWP looks like ass and WT looks pretty good.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warplanes beta key giveaway  
Jump to: