Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: State of the Economy 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of the Economy  (Read 25391 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #70 on: September 25, 2012, 09:06:47 AM

I've got 43 silver!

Cry
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #71 on: September 25, 2012, 11:08:44 AM

Except you can buy gems with gold.  I'm probably never going to need to spend money on this game again.

The gold gem exchange is crazy. And this is from someone who has bought like 30 gold worth of gems.  I'm wondering how few gems you will get for a gold in two months.

Really? I was thinking gems are tremendously underpriced. I cannot imagine buying gems for gold and then selling them, with so little return in gold.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: September 25, 2012, 01:22:46 PM

You don't sell the gems. The exchange cut is terrible! I've been doing the mystic forge with exotics.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: September 25, 2012, 01:35:37 PM

Someone has to be selling the gems for them to be there, though. I don't understand why anyone would do so with such a paltry exchange rate.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: September 25, 2012, 01:44:11 PM

I think Anet is "seeding" the gems there as well... seem to remember that there were gems available for gold a few minutes after launch or something.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #75 on: September 25, 2012, 01:50:57 PM

I'd feel much better about gem exchange if it worked like the rest of the Trading Post except with the larger cut.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:57:36 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: September 25, 2012, 01:55:08 PM

Yea I'd have a lot better feeling if they had buy/sell orders on the gem exchange too.

Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: September 25, 2012, 05:30:43 PM

I bought when it was 400gems for 1g. Now it's something like 250::1.

Here's the whole story: http://www.gw2spidy.com/gem
(click the "all" button)

I just bought my first 400 gems last night, for 1g 41s, I figure they'll never be cheaper, even if I didn't have a lot of coin spare.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #78 on: September 26, 2012, 01:05:37 AM

You sell gems cause that's how you buy your Exotic set. Meaning (if it wasn't clear enough), that's how people with money have been uberequipping themselves right away. At about 2-3gold for an exotic piece, and considering that theres about 14 pieces you have to fill on your char, if you wanted to buy everything without the hassle of dungeons, crafting or pvp, you had to scrounge up something like 40 gold maybe. At a roughly and vague estimation, on good days, you could have bought it through purchasing gems and exchanging it for gold at about 210$.

Anyway I get your point, selling gems is a bad idea. Unless you bought gems with Dollars/Euros/x for the only purpose of changing them into gold bypassing illicit goldsellers. Which is, interestingly enough, much more common than I thought. All the people I know who injected some gold into the economy through gem-purchasing justified it by saying that they don't pay a sub so it feels right to spend a little bit to get in-game cash.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 26, 2012, 07:50:16 AM

You sell gems cause that's how you buy your Exotic set. Meaning (if it wasn't clear enough), that's how people with money have been uberequipping themselves right away. At about 2-3gold for an exotic piece, and considering that theres about 14 pieces you have to fill on your char, if you wanted to buy everything without the hassle of dungeons, crafting or pvp, you had to scrounge up something like 40 gold maybe. At a roughly and vague estimation, on good days, you could have bought it through purchasing gems and exchanging it for gold at about 210$.

Anyway I get your point, selling gems is a bad idea. Unless you bought gems with Dollars/Euros/x for the only purpose of changing them into gold bypassing illicit goldsellers. Which is, interestingly enough, much more common than I thought. All the people I know who injected some gold into the economy through gem-purchasing justified it by saying that they don't pay a sub so it feels right to spend a little bit to get in-game cash.

I am willing to spend a little money each month that would normally go to a sub. The hard part is not overspending. So far I have bought a couple of extra bank slots and I still have gems left over and am trying not to convince myself to turn them into in-game gold as I am dirt poor at the moment.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 26, 2012, 08:10:16 AM

I bought 3 extra char slots, i wanted one of each class and it is much cheaper than extra bank slots.

I am the .00000001428%
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: September 26, 2012, 08:11:46 AM

I bought 3 extra char slots, i wanted one of each class and it is much cheaper than extra bank slots.

Started seriously cooking: bank slots have gone to shit.  Second bank upgrade purchase imminent.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: September 26, 2012, 09:03:48 AM

How is the exchange set? When I looked at it, all you could do was type in amounts of gems to sell and it gave you a price. No buy or sell orders, no listings. Seemed pretty shady to me.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: September 26, 2012, 09:09:15 AM

I had around 10 gold when hitting 80 [catass, so a bit less than 1 week after headstart] and promptly burned quite a bit of it on gems to get 3 chara slots and 3 bank slots. And yea, cooking uses up a bank slot *by itself* (if you're going the discovery route, that is)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:11:35 AM by Zetor »

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #84 on: September 26, 2012, 09:16:10 AM

It is shady.  I have been meaning to look into reselling min-pets.  I hear its pretty good if you are patient.

"Me am play gods"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: September 26, 2012, 12:00:29 PM

I would totally consider buying gems just to flip into gold; it's just that the exchange rate combined with the current price of in-game items makes that kind of a crazy proposition. The 'real world' value of items is ridiculous if you convert gold prices to gems to money, you know?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: September 26, 2012, 01:33:16 PM

It's getting better from a rl money standpoint. And it's only going to get better.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #87 on: September 26, 2012, 06:53:06 PM

I'm just going to stop leveling my lvl 70 tomorrow and start working on the other 5 alts on all lowbie zone just running around clearing copper ores to sell till I unlock everything I want.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: September 26, 2012, 07:50:14 PM

Level your 70 through the last couple zones. The exotics you get will be worth more.

Note... You can combine level 70 exotics to get a level 80....

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #89 on: September 26, 2012, 08:57:24 PM

I'm kinda torn between exploring and just quest/events completion but srsly, I don't see what's so attractive about buying gems with real cash when exchange rate with gold sellers is MUCH MUCH better.

$210 for a whole set?  ACK! That's not a fair deal at all.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: September 27, 2012, 12:08:45 AM

I may be mistaken, but didn't Arenanet say that they will ban people who buy gold as well as people selling it?

As its a non-sub game they have a lot less to lose, and gold sellers directly harm their profit margins on the gem store so it would make sense.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #91 on: September 27, 2012, 03:14:17 AM

$210 for a whole set?  ACK! That's not a fair deal at all.

But that's not a deal that you have to take. I've been playing a lot, but very inefficiently (map completion 35%) for a month now and I have pretty much full exotic armour and weapon level 78-80. In this game the option to purchase gold is only for those who play very little and don't want to fall behind, or have money to waste.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: State of the Economy  
Jump to: