Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 12:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Obsidian's "Pillars of Eternity" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Obsidian's "Pillars of Eternity"  (Read 209691 times)
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: September 18, 2012, 01:11:36 AM

Personally I've enjoyed every single Obsidian RPG until the point where the rush job to finish it showed. So of course they got my 20 Dollars. 2/3rds of an Obsidian RPG is worth more than the finished products of most competitors.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: September 18, 2012, 07:34:57 AM

Dead Money is the crappy one.

I don't know what magical thing they did to make the FO3 engine work, but FO3 crashed for me literally dozens of times. I had lockups maybe 2 or 3 times in New Vegas. Beyond that though, I think pretty much every system in the game is improved in New Vegas compared to FO3, the story is better, the characters are better, the game feels far more "Fallout" probably because the people who were making it, you know, made Fallout.

And none of that is to say that FO3 was a bad game, it was pretty good when it wasn't locking up or going all video-crazy, but New Vegas is several notches above IMO.
While I'll agree with you on story and gameplay stuff, FO3 ran MUCH better for me than NV. I had very few technical problems with 3, while NV gave me a lot of crashes/lockups, and several glitchy quests including one that was broken entirely for me due to dialogue selection.

I had the exact opposite experience. FO3 was a great game but not very stable while NV I had very few problems until I added tons of mods to it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: September 18, 2012, 07:37:03 AM

I found F:NV to be rock-solid* (especially compared to other games with Bethesda engines), and overall a heck of a lot better than F3 in pretty much every way. IMO it's the best 'western' RPG made since 2001, so I'm happy to toss my $20 on this particular piece of vaporware!

* note that I played it only 6-7 months after it launched -- I'm pretty sure it was a lot worse at launch. LolobsidianQA, etc.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #73 on: September 18, 2012, 07:46:16 AM

There is a new article on Eurogamer: it combines new info from Tim Cain and what Sawyer said in yesterday's update:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-18-project-eternity-interview-new-information-tentative-spring-2014-release-date

Project Eternity won't be built on Dungeons & Dragons rules. "We are making our own RPG mechanics," Cain revealed, even though D&D has been "a huge influence" on them.
At the core of the rules will be souls. In the Kickstarter video, Josh Sawyer said a character's soul was tied to the magic system. Cain expanded: "No, you don't have to be evil to access any abilities. They aren't categorised like that. Instead, in this world, your soul is connected to your power. Simply put, people who have whole, unbroken souls are more powerful than those people who just have fragments of souls. The nature of these souls, and how they might break, is something we will explore in the game.
"While there are social concepts of good and evil," he added, "the game does not track an alignment for the player. Instead we will use a reputation system to keep track of what different groups in the world think of you. Consequences of your actions will matter in Project Eternity."

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: September 18, 2012, 07:57:46 AM

There is a new article on Eurogamer: it combines new info from Tim Cain and what Sawyer said in yesterday's update:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-18-project-eternity-interview-new-information-tentative-spring-2014-release-date

Project Eternity won't be built on Dungeons & Dragons rules. "We are making our own RPG mechanics," Cain revealed, even though D&D has been "a huge influence" on them.
At the core of the rules will be souls. In the Kickstarter video, Josh Sawyer said a character's soul was tied to the magic system. Cain expanded: "No, you don't have to be evil to access any abilities. They aren't categorised like that. Instead, in this world, your soul is connected to your power. Simply put, people who have whole, unbroken souls are more powerful than those people who just have fragments of souls. The nature of these souls, and how they might break, is something we will explore in the game.
"While there are social concepts of good and evil," he added, "the game does not track an alignment for the player. Instead we will use a reputation system to keep track of what different groups in the world think of you. Consequences of your actions will matter in Project Eternity."

Cool. It sounds like they are essentially using the FO:NV system of tracking how different factions feel about you. I like that. Let's be honest, in New Vegas it was pretty clear the Legion was evil but the other groups were mostly "not as bad" rather than good and it worked pretty well.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: September 18, 2012, 08:05:52 AM

Guns are briefly mentioned at the end of the Eurogamer article, but here's a quote from Josh Sawyer straight from the Obsidian forums:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60265-please-no-guns/page__st__20#entry1192544

We will be doing an update on the technology of P:E, but in brief, the firearms of this world are relatively recent inventions and equivalent to the single-shot wheellock weapons found in 16th century Europe.  Their use is uncommon and for specific purposes.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: September 19, 2012, 09:03:16 AM

Update #4:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts

- New tiers ($50 and $80)
- DRM free with GOG (you will have the opportunity to choose between GOG and Steam)
- Add-ons to your existing pledge
- Beta access for those who pledged $140

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #77 on: September 19, 2012, 10:04:44 AM

So that's how they do the QA. They pay to be hired to hire Beta Testers.
All the best to Obsidian, I don't see the need to invest in this venture. Not so desperate for a game in 2 years time, thanks.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #78 on: September 19, 2012, 02:03:35 PM

It's so sad how badly I want this to hit 2 million so I can have my isometric hangout.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 19, 2012, 02:41:17 PM

- Beta access for those who pledged $140

They need to improve the higher tiers even more.  If I'm not getting the box till release it better be equal to a normal box. 
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 19, 2012, 02:59:59 PM

I wish I had faith they would actually be able to complete this on time and budget.  Anyone want to bet on when they come back asking for more money?

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: September 19, 2012, 03:30:43 PM

I wish I had faith they would actually be able to complete this on time and budget.  Anyone want to bet on when they come back asking for more money?

Right after South Park flops.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #82 on: September 20, 2012, 12:30:10 PM

The comment about donations was merely because it would've been neat to have an f13 sponsored thing in it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #83 on: September 20, 2012, 12:47:44 PM

my eyes

are full of scam

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #84 on: September 20, 2012, 02:03:44 PM

my eyes

are full of scam

But.....you get a beta key!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: September 20, 2012, 02:28:07 PM

Can anyone suggest why this particular offering is better to get into now rather than waiting to see if it actually gets made?

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: September 20, 2012, 02:47:59 PM

Too bad they don't do any profit sharing through Kickstarter - I don't see how anyone would donate $5k for a tshirt and a book, oh and a virtual NPC shaped like your favorite dwarf. Woo.

- Viin
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: September 20, 2012, 02:48:50 PM

Can anyone suggest why this particular offering is better to get into now rather than waiting to see if it actually gets made?

At this point, I'd say not worth it. It's funded, so it's being made. The main reason to hop on the kickstarter is to get the project going. Now that it's going ... I'd wait.

- Viin
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: September 20, 2012, 02:54:50 PM

At this point, I'd say not worth it. It's funded, so it's being made. The main reason to hop on the kickstarter is to get the project going. Now that it's going ... I'd wait.

Being funded does not necessarily mean it will get made. At this point, it just means that you won't get your money back.

But if it does get made, then you can reserve a copy now for $25, instead of whatever they'll charge for it once it goes retail.
If you're into the perks, you can decide for yourself if they're worth the money.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: September 20, 2012, 02:57:31 PM

Being funded does not necessarily mean it will get made. At this point, it just means that you won't get your money back.

Of course, but more money (above the original asked for amount) doesn't mean it will necessarily get made either.

- Viin
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: September 20, 2012, 03:13:18 PM

It's not really funded though.  That's just an arbitrary number they set at which they think they can put together something bare bones. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: September 20, 2012, 04:35:52 PM

But if it does get made, then you can reserve a copy now for $25, instead of whatever they'll charge for it once it goes retail.
If you're into the perks, you can decide for yourself if they're worth the money.

If it's on steam you can just get it for 5 bucks six months later, you are gonna wait several years already as it is.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #92 on: September 20, 2012, 05:02:38 PM

It's really gambling.  The 20 bucks is certainly less than you'll pay at launch, but it's probably more than you'll pay on Steam in 6 months.  Hell, maybe even in 3 months.  But then again it might be good.  I figure there's a 5% chance it will be Fallout NV good. 
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: September 20, 2012, 09:32:46 PM

Without a publisher to push them are they going to be able to make a game on budget? My magic 8-ball says... "No."

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: September 21, 2012, 12:44:16 AM

See, i'm kinda baffled like that. Why are they aiming it soooo low? 1.1 mil for a 2 year development cycle? the fuck?
They hit that within a week and made themselves look greedy by adding more and more stretch goals.

In the end, I  fear they might .... overstretch themselves .  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Not optimistic on this project at all.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: September 21, 2012, 01:38:07 AM

It's starting to sound like some of you need to show the court where on the doll Feargus Urquhart touched you.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: September 21, 2012, 02:11:23 AM

can't blame us for being cynics, but alright, let's go:

KOTOR 2- awesome script - unusual take on Star Wars universe - bogged with a shitload of bugs errors and rushed ending. We thought it's just Obsidian having a first time's nervousness....maybe they'll get better...
NWN 2 - Shit camera, terrible frame rate at launch, gameplay was mostly attempting to get used to the camera while being accompanied by a dwarf who likes to fight, a tiefling who likes to thief, and a elf who loves forests. /golfclap a true D&D experience.
NWN 2 Expansions - MOTB was a step in the right direction, but gameplay remains shit. Epic badgers HP and Epic D&D isn't enjoyable. Storms of Zehir - no, the game has outstayed its welcome.
Alpha Protocol - Oh man, I waited a LONG time before giving this a go from the bargain bin. It was so buggy at release and the gameplay is a mish-mash of mini game. I really thought Obsidian is going to give their best shot in this project, AP being their own IP and all...but nope. Aside from nice characters - the timed dialogue sequence just made it very frustrating since it's quite unclear at some point on how the protag would respons when you pick certain lines.
Dungeon Siege 3 - OH OOOOH IT'S D3 !!! OMFG OBSIDIAN IS MAKING D3!!! No wai- It's D-Ass 3.  Head scratch Are they that desperate? I bought the DS pack 123 for $10. That's how fast it dropped - what a turd. I fought with the camera before being told that a gamepad would make my action RPG experience better. I uninstalled and played Torchlight instead.

Then talks about Wheel of Time RPG...but nothing came of it. All is quiet...then all of the sudden, MCA or was it someone else from Obsidian said they have an offer to create RPG based on an IP they cannot refuse.

I was excited. Are they doing something Middle Earth? It's gotta be a fantasy game but what could it be? -

Eric fucking Cartman wearing a wizard hat.

Tantrum

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #97 on: September 21, 2012, 02:56:21 AM

Man, keep your bombacut mouth shut.  why so serious?

Kotor 2's ending was Lucas Arts fault.
NWN 2 was great, NWN MOTB even better. And bugs...pff!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: September 21, 2012, 06:54:32 AM

Alpha Protocol also rules, the timed dialogue along with the multiple paths the game can take are fucking rad, and it's almost always totally obvious what the protagonist will say, especially if you think of the options as "James Bond", "Jason Bourne", and "Jack Bauer". 
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: September 21, 2012, 08:35:17 AM

The game will use the Unity engine, same one used for Inxile's "Wasteland" sequel:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/313192

Linux support has been removed from the stretch goals, because they decided they will include it no matter what. But, apparently, they have a new, big stretch goal that they will unveil in a forthcoming update.
------

Oh, and if you missed it, yesterday Josh Sawyer talked a little more about the nature of "Souls" in Project Eternity and the technology level of the world (there is also a video: I actually understood a little better all that stuff about the souls only after watching the video :P)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/312639

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #100 on: September 21, 2012, 11:32:08 AM

Alpha Protocol also rules, the timed dialogue along with the multiple paths the game can take are fucking rad, and it's almost always totally obvious what the protagonist will say, especially if you think of the options as "James Bond", "Jason Bourne", and "Jack Bauer". 

I think that works for 2 of them, but the "Bond" one was pretty fail at being Bond-like.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: September 21, 2012, 11:39:48 AM

I agree completely.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #102 on: September 21, 2012, 11:40:38 AM

For the donation level swag.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: September 21, 2012, 12:25:59 PM

I thought the idea of a Bat Country band of bandits was humorous. We could demand two NPCs named Mr Bloodworth.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #104 on: September 21, 2012, 12:46:35 PM

And Sky, the bearded ax-carrying lumberjack bandit. He's after your wood.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Obsidian's "Pillars of Eternity"  
Jump to: