Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:06:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clash of Clans  (Read 172556 times)
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: July 14, 2015, 01:05:23 AM

Build all the things! Personally I just took it as builder time being the main concern, I had finished all upgrades so tried to time the TH8 one to finish with my final few buildings. It did mean the first few weeks at 8 were a bit crazy trying to keep up with the gold and elixir needed though. If you've got all your defences and troops maxed though there's not much reason not to upgrade, though getting the walls and some gold stocked up would make the first few weeks of 8 a bit easier.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #351 on: July 22, 2015, 02:38:54 PM

I'm wondering if we should move to a "fast troop" / "slow troop" war donation scheme?

I see in most replays that it's trivial to get a bunch of wizards and archers to bunch up in a nice knot and drop poison / AOE troops and finish them off quickly.  On the other extreme, minions + balloons in the clan castle are almost impossible to bunch due to the massive speed difference:  but fairly useless since balloons just end up chasing everything else around while getting picked apart.

I wonder if we split between minions and archers if our war defenses might be more effective?  Minions are fast which means after a few seconds catching all the CC troops in a single poison spell might be more difficult.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #352 on: July 22, 2015, 02:49:31 PM

It's generally not too hard to bunch troops regardless IMO; just drop cannon fodder one by one at the corner of the map to keep all the CC guys coming that way, then drop your spells when they're all together.  Poison makes it even easier since it's a wider AoE and guaranteed death for everything inside.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: July 22, 2015, 05:13:36 PM

Level one poison won't one-shot max level balloons. Two balloons can be a real pain to deal with, even if it's just a matter of wasting the attacker's time. If they don't kill them though they will absolutely wreck things like Giants or the King. I'm not sure how good minions are as CC troops. I think ideally a mix of balloons, dragons, valks and wizards is ideal, but that's also pricey I realise.

I admire the donating enthusiasm, but there is quite a lot of junk getting donated for wars. There''s been a couple where I've tried to build dragons for war CCs but they're all blocked by level 4 barbs or some such. Hey ho, I can't complain too much about people donating though.

Also;

Dudebro
dudebro

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #354 on: July 22, 2015, 05:28:03 PM

Yeah, should we boot Dudebro?  He's sort of active I guess, but he seems pretty useless and I don't think we know him.  Do we?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: July 22, 2015, 05:30:08 PM

I don't know much about him other than the fact that he once told me to shut up, and he likes to spam his name in chat. Also when someone told him off for telling me to shut up he donated four level 3 barbs as a sort of apology, I think?  awesome, for real

Are we sure he's not somebody's 6 year old son?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #356 on: July 22, 2015, 06:21:45 PM

I'm not positive, that's why I ask... but I don't think anyone has claimed him so far.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #357 on: July 22, 2015, 11:06:51 PM

Not my kid.  Although my son does like to donate useless troops. He's helping!  awesome, for real

-Rasix
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: July 22, 2015, 11:52:08 PM

With the OP poison spell now I feel like CC troops only serve as a fear factor for people to consider in wars. Either we'd need to move to high HP/cost troops like Dragons and Valks or just cheap stuff to tie up some enemy troops emptying the CC like Barbs/Archers.

I really need to donate more for war CCs too, on the other hand I'm finding since the update my elixir farming has been crap. Like on good days I'll be making 1/3 or so as much as I am gold and on bad days when I'm getting raided almost every time my shield drops because my gold is so high I'm winding up with less elixir. On the upside I've got one last Tesla upgrade to start and have all my ADs and Mortars upgraded so I guess I can try and get enough elixir for every other upgrade while wall grinding. Getting Pekka lvl 3 is going to be a nightmare though, I need maxxed elixir for that one ACK!

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #359 on: July 23, 2015, 12:40:19 AM

I'm working on maxed elixir for the new level of dragon now.  It always gets to be really slow going as you near capacity, because you become a very fat target and successful hits take more off you than you can expect to make back in your next hit.

ynotgolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: July 23, 2015, 09:19:05 PM

As a new clan member, any rules regarding war donations?  I'm more than happy to donate, just don't want to step on any toes if that's already handled.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: July 24, 2015, 05:43:55 AM

Nope but we should probably come up with something. I don't donate war troops that often but being in the middle ranking I should probably try filling some of the lower level CCs with stuff. Maybe a list of suggested troops and level differences for war donations? Obviously there's not a lot of point donating lower level troops.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #362 on: July 24, 2015, 07:16:48 AM

Remember we've got that clan perk now that upgrades troops by 1 level when donated.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #363 on: July 24, 2015, 05:14:49 PM

I typically try to donate 2 wizards and 4 archers to everyone during war prep.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Rasix

Reply #364 on: July 24, 2015, 07:35:34 PM

I donated some balloons.  Usually I donate archers or wizards, but typically not until people need to restock.

I mainly just donated the balloons to mess with attacks.  I didn't give any to higher level folks (I don't think), because even boosted to 5, I figure they may not be sturdy enough to get the desired effect.

edit:

For like the last 2 weeks, I've been almost exclusively raided.  No one is just hitting my town hall and leaving.  Was there a change to match making or do they just not give you a shield for a hit and run anymore?  It's getting annoying.  I was trying to stockpile resources for post TH8 and eventually just had to use gems on a 2 day shield.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:46:21 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: July 25, 2015, 01:32:29 AM

The matchmaking change a few weeks ago was restricting it to THs 2 levels above or below you and increasing the chances of someone your own level. I think they may also have been a bit more aggressive at weeding out abandoned bases as I find full collectors a lot less frequently. There's still a shield for hit and runs on exposed THs but like I said earlier it seems people are getting pushed more towards doing storage raids and base wipes as bases with full collectors are becoming less common. That's anecdotal though, I'm not sure if they have or not.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #366 on: July 25, 2015, 08:40:09 AM

Abandoned bases with full collectors get less common as you move up through the ranks because those bases naturally fall down due to not being defended and not doing raids to regain trophies.  I almost NEVER see ghost towns any more.  You might just be moving up in the world.

ynotgolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: July 27, 2015, 04:03:32 PM

Yikes, so obviously i need to make some adjustments in my war attacks.  Vs TH7 & early TH8 opponents, it was quite simply full dragons = win.  Having just dinged TH8, I'd been quite successful in my previous Clan using GoWiPe, but I was the #1 member, and I was facing little in the way of CC war defenses/troops.

Any suggestions on dealing with CC troops? I think I need to work on kiting and nuking them down?

Help!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #368 on: July 27, 2015, 06:09:54 PM

Any suggestions on dealing with CC troops? I think I need to work on kiting and nuking them down?

You think correctly.  Fighting CC troops one by one in the middle of their base with defense towers DPSing you at the same time will mess you up unless you're really quick with lightning and/or poison (assuming they're killable that way).  CC troops you've lured to the edge of the map can be dealt with at your leisure.

Luckily, unlike heroes, once you've pulled CC troops out of the castle they'll go wherever the action is, and then stand there like dummies if there's nothing to attack.  All you need to do is get one of your troops in close enough to pull the defenders out of the castle; then drop cheap troops one by one in whatever spot you want to lure them to.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:11:41 PM by Samwise »

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: July 27, 2015, 07:14:27 PM

This Poison spell video has a pretty good coverage of ways to deal with CC troops, assuming it's not like 1 Valk and a dragon or something.

Rasix

Reply #370 on: July 27, 2015, 08:41:55 PM

I hope I didn't prevent anyone from getting the last attack in on that 14.  Figured I'd try to use my son's account to desperation star it.  He didn't have all of his troops trained and no spells.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I really didn't think we'd even be that competitive in this one.

-Rasix
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: August 19, 2015, 12:34:29 PM

edit: my phone has been repaired, happy days
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:09:47 PM by K9 »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #372 on: August 21, 2015, 03:11:34 PM

As I'm sure has been noticed, I've pretty much stopped playing this game a month ago.  I might jump back into it again someday, but for now interests have shifted off elsewhere.  So don't expect me to contribute anything during wars and what not.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #373 on: August 21, 2015, 03:59:35 PM

The reason I don't put people in wars who don't have league ranks is that there's no way I can actually remember who's playing and who isn't on a day to day basis.   awesome, for real

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: August 21, 2015, 06:20:54 PM

As an aside, walls are pretty important.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #375 on: August 21, 2015, 11:36:31 PM

I've almost got a solid layer of level 10 wall now.  Shit's getting real.  Real expensive.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #376 on: September 17, 2015, 10:24:21 AM

Oh shiiiiit new lightning upgrade and 25 new wall pieces.

Those 25 new wall pieces are a gift and a curse.  Now I need to come up with whole new layouts that make good use of them.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: September 22, 2015, 07:30:24 AM

I realised that I had run a joke base layout by accident in the previous two wars; what's most impressive is that it sort-of worked against one attacker.

Is lightning ever going to be good though? Heal and Rage just seem so much more powerful and versatile than a few thousand damage in one spot. Poison is still better for dealing with CC troops I think.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #378 on: September 22, 2015, 08:07:32 AM

Yeah, I haven't used lightning since poison became a thing.  The only advantage of lightning is that it can zap buildings, but using multiple lightnings to take out one or two buildings isn't generally nearly as good of an investment as throwing a rage on all your troops.

The update notes did say they changed how lightning works, so maybe it's more useful now?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #379 on: October 27, 2015, 11:16:58 AM

hey guys

If you play occasionally but not daily, the next time you're on, please do this:

1) Tap the little blue "i" by your name in the upper left
2) Tap the green "Clan Wars" button
3) Tap the red "I'm Out" button

If you don't play at all, don't worry about it.  I can already see it because there's a grey spot next to your name where a league rank would go, and I'm already skipping you for wars.  You're good.  No need to post here to tell me you're not playing.  Even if that were helpful information I wouldn't remember it.

What's messing us up now is people who play just often enough to keep a league rank, but not often enough to make attacks in wars.  It's a pain in the ass to keep track of you people in my head (the UI unhelpfully doesn't let me see the stats for the previous war while I'm picking people for a new war or I'd just do it based on that), so please use the thing that the game helpfully provides to indicate you don't do wars, kthx.  Don't post here to tell me "well I'll be in wars sometimes but this last time I was busy blah blah blah."  That's also not helpful.  Just uncheck the thing in the game if you're too busy for the thing.  It's cool.  Turn it back on when you go back to having ten minutes on the shitter every day.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:18:47 AM by Samwise »

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #380 on: October 27, 2015, 03:03:04 PM

also, do we know Elliott or is he a rando?

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: November 02, 2015, 06:49:12 AM

What happened to bein in it for the chieves, and not caring bout the win?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #382 on: November 02, 2015, 08:40:27 AM

Such bitterness in you!   awesome, for real

Trying to strike the balance of achieving the very low-effort win when possible.  Also trying to help people who don't seem to realize that "opt out" button is there and instead keep trying to tell me their schedule in chat.

Also I'm pretty sure Elliott is a troll -- he specifically asked me to put him in wars and hasn't made an attack since.  He also asked for a promotion, which is always a bad sign.  Ohhhhh, I see.  Wanted to make sure he's not someone's kid before I boot him.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:48:03 PM by Samwise »

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #383 on: November 02, 2015, 08:03:37 PM

Drop the hammer.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: November 17, 2015, 05:06:21 AM

Why don't you try our other games?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans  
Jump to: