Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:55:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 938296 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4130 on: November 13, 2021, 01:30:30 PM

It really is hilarious seeing the same lessons learned over and over again. Except for the "don't give sketchy devs thousands of dollars for imaginary space ships", that lesson never gets learned by the people inclined to do it, apparently.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #4131 on: November 17, 2021, 06:54:53 AM

I hop into the Star Citizen Twitch category every once in a while (1700 people watching other people play Star Citizen right now  ACK! ).

If you manage to catch someone streaming their new player experience, it is actually hilarious.

I have watched some guy working to complete a simple delivery mission of the course of 2 hours, mainly because he could not figure out the UI and because his cargo got stuck in his ship when he dropped the boxes he was delivering into his tiny cargo hold.

I watched the same guy trying to pick up said boxes for 10 minutes straight, every time he would enter the ship on the left side and trying to interact with the package would trigger an animation to leave the ship on the right side.

Over and over again.

I was laughing so hard I cried and I almost passed out.

11/10, would recommend.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4132 on: November 18, 2021, 10:22:25 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4133 on: November 21, 2021, 10:36:03 AM

Oh, god, you are killing me! DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4134 on: November 21, 2021, 07:11:04 PM

What I love is that you might think "ok, headlessness, that's just a glitch, I really have a head somewhere and it's just not displaying" only it kinda seems like the game engine is like "nope, you are actually headless, sorry, you die."
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4135 on: November 30, 2021, 02:23:47 PM

It’s the, “Oh…oh” that gets me.  awesome, for real

Also, Roberts is probably pissed that Meta is hijacking his grift by selling a virtual yacht for 300k.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4136 on: January 01, 2022, 08:22:08 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4137 on: January 01, 2022, 09:44:18 AM

Dynamic door alignment? Head textures update? What the fuck are they even working on?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4138 on: January 02, 2022, 06:16:58 AM

Fixing samprimary’s head issues?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4139 on: January 02, 2022, 06:44:14 AM

They are working on the review of "Cuck."

Hic sunt dracones.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #4140 on: January 02, 2022, 11:03:24 AM

Dynamic door alignment? Head textures update? What the fuck are they even working on?

Grifting.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4141 on: January 02, 2022, 11:55:39 AM

They could have swapped nouns around and it would have made the same amount of sense.  Dynamic head alignment.  Door texture updates.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #4142 on: January 04, 2022, 10:54:59 AM

Good news for Chris. Looks like there's a lot more dumb money ready to pile into this kind of nonsense. With his experience, his services should be in high demand.

The lessons of second life and star citizen are quickly forgotten. People lining up to pay big bucks for a "limited" supply of nothing in what are just essentially 3rd rate video games/VR chat rooms.
https://www.wsj.com/video/series/current-features/investors-buy-up-metaverse-real-estate-in-virtual-land-boom/9620D8C3-3B38-48F7-9019-5C20F52D68CB
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4143 on: January 05, 2022, 09:14:17 AM

Look, the fact that Chris Roberts hasn't started selling NFT's of the spaceships, screenshots, videos and whatever else he can gin up tells me he might not be the smartest grifter in the room.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #4144 on: January 05, 2022, 11:34:45 AM

Look, the fact that Chris Roberts hasn't started selling NFT's of the spaceships, screenshots, videos and whatever else he can gin up tells me he might not be the smartest grifter in the room.

I can see him drinking his own Kewl-Aide

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4145 on: January 06, 2022, 07:25:41 AM

Ya, everything I've read about Roberts is that he honestly believes his own kool aid. But like a lot of Narcissists he is deeply ashamed inside and is afraid that if he lets other people shine with their talent it will make him look bad, so he is continuously ripping up his staffs work and telling them to start again.

What he needs is to hire an asshole. A guy that will override him, ride the staff like a cowbow, but who WILL get projects done on time and on budget. The "Coffee is for Closers" type of dude. But he wont, becasue that would mean losing control of the project, and will make the Mighty Chris's management look bad by comparison.

Besides, why should he? He has already made his money on this thing. The rest is hard work, so might as will kick back and do hookers and blow, and quietly shut down when people stop caring.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4146 on: January 06, 2022, 01:53:17 PM

I just don't believe he believes that all is well and Star Citizen is the best. I'm not even sure Serek Dmart could manage that level of "no, really, I'm a genius" at this point. Except of course he is a genius in the sense that he understood just how badly some people want to play a game that is as complex as life, only in space and you can't die or get STDs or get stuck spending your life at a space desk filing space reports.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4147 on: January 06, 2022, 03:29:32 PM

I just don't believe he believes that all is well and Star Citizen is the best. I'm not even sure Serek Dmart could manage that level of "no, really, I'm a genius" at this point. Except of course he is a genius in the sense that he understood just how badly some people want to play a game that is as complex as life, only in space and you can't die or get STDs or get stuck spending your life at a space desk filing space reports.

That's not anything new, really. There have been horrible MMOs that have sucked in people for stuff like this before. The difference is Roberts is good enough at making it look shiny and unscrupulous enough to take the money up front to get a real feedback loop going.

Not sure if it's genius as much as right guy at the right time, but hard to deny they've bottled something.. even if it's not really good for anyone.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4148 on: January 06, 2022, 04:35:04 PM

It mostly works by not releasing, and requiring such a high investment to get access to whatever does exist that the sunk cost fallacy kicks in hard. Once it actually releases it will either crash and burn, or just be played by the same 500 people who keep lighting money on fire every time they conjure up a new spaceship jpg.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4149 on: January 06, 2022, 06:23:49 PM

There were, after all, people waiting to pay money for fetuspults long after Glitchless spent the entire $500 he'd earned at a year's worth of lunches at Five Guys.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4150 on: January 06, 2022, 10:15:19 PM

That's not anything new, really. There have been horrible MMOs that have sucked in people for stuff like this before. The difference is Roberts is good enough at making it look shiny and unscrupulous enough to take the money up front to get a real feedback loop going.

Not sure if it's genius as much as right guy at the right time, but hard to deny they've bottled something.. even if it's not really good for anyone.

I wouldn’t say it’s genius. Including money kicked in by their actual investors, they’re at around $500 million over 9 years past their kickstarter which seems like a great little scam having never completed development on anything. If they had hired some small teams to make cell phone cash in games or some other small scale, actually releasable stuff though they could have made a lot more than that. For the number of employees their company has, they’re making comparatively fuck all for revenue compared to similar sized publishers/developers I’m guessing.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4151 on: January 07, 2022, 02:57:36 AM

There were, after all, people waiting to pay money for fetuspults long after Glitchless spent the entire $500 he'd earned at a year's worth of lunches at Five Guys.

if i had a nickel for every time my mother said that to me verbatim
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4152 on: January 07, 2022, 03:05:19 AM

anyway so this game is really fucking fun now. it's sporting some really atmospheric graphics, some really extremely tight gameplay loops strongly utilizing 6 degree freedom flying, and an almost diabloesque looter-shooter concept for upgrades. kind of an engaging story too. i highly recommend it for a quick early access playthrough, really seems like its going places and that the crew building it really knew what they were doing and focused on consistent progress in a very well managed scope
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4153 on: January 07, 2022, 03:09:06 AM

this is pretty cool actually like i'm having a blast just shootin shit up in my spaceship and there's no real bugs and the graphical performance is really well optimized already so everything plays smooth even at 4k. like this is totally great. i'm really proud of what they accomplished with this ten years and four fucking the fuck hundred shitting fuckdollars. really comin together
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4154 on: January 07, 2022, 03:12:41 AM

oh shit my bad guys it turns out this isn't star citizen at all? i'm actually playing the "Everspace 2" early access release. sorry about that i just got them confused a bit
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4155 on: January 07, 2022, 07:13:48 AM

why so serious?

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #4156 on: January 07, 2022, 11:18:48 AM

"Everspace 2" early access release.

Forty entire real world earth dollars?!

This is an outrage.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4157 on: January 07, 2022, 04:35:07 PM

Can't you pay for ships they haven't made yet? I demand this as a feature!
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #4158 on: January 07, 2022, 04:39:28 PM

"Everspace 2" early access release.

Forty entire real world earth dollars?!

This is an outrage.

and you don't even get a limited edition starship and super elite membership credits with that?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4159 on: January 08, 2022, 08:00:39 AM

I played the demo. Looks fun.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4160 on: January 12, 2022, 04:36:45 PM

In similar news, the grift is real and is expanding...

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/12/investors-are-paying-millions-for-virtual-land-in-the-metaverse.html

It’s no secret the real estate market is skyrocketing, but the Covid pandemic is creating another little-known land rush. Indeed, some investors are paying millions for plots of land — not in New York or Beverly Hills. In fact, the plots do not physically exist here on Earth.

Rather, the land is located online, in a set of virtual worlds that tech insiders have dubbed the metaverse. Prices for plots have soared as much as 500% in the last few months ever since Facebook announced it was going all-in on virtual reality, even changing its corporate name to Meta Platforms.
Another hot metaverse world is the Sandbox, where Janine Yorio’s virtual real estate development company, Republic Realm, spent a record $4.3 million on a parcel of virtual land.
Yorio tells CNBC her company sold 100 virtual private islands last year for $15,000 each. “Today, they’re selling for about $300,000 each, which is coincidentally the same as the average home price in America,” she said.

Virtual spaceships, virtual 'land plots' ... where is all this liquid money coming from these days?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4161 on: January 12, 2022, 05:00:39 PM

It's everywhere because the people who have money pouring into them don't have anywhere else to spend it. The real world is already owned and leveraged up the wazoo.

If you were in Star Wars: Galaxies back from launch, you saw a few people who knew the zero-day exploits make insane money by having crafting vendors up with high-end gear by Day 4 or so while everyone else was laboriously making low-end pistols by the thousands and deleting them. Those people made such insane money and then there was absolutely nothing to really buy with it--but it was a permanent gap that no one else could ever approach and so they could do all sorts of dumb shit with their permanent edge just for shits and giggles. (And then when people started the Jedi grind, they could make even more crazy money supplyng it.)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4162 on: January 12, 2022, 11:54:24 PM

Can confirm. I got gouged like a motherfucker as a pre-9 jedi.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4163 on: January 13, 2022, 04:33:45 PM

I don't get mocking the metaverse stuff, the ground floor guys tend to make out with piles of ROI on stupidass shit like this if they cash out. They certainly did in SL and Star Citizen and Crypto and NFT's

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4164 on: January 13, 2022, 05:39:05 PM

If you were in Star Wars: Galaxies back from launch, you saw a few people who knew the zero-day exploits make insane money by having crafting vendors up with high-end gear by Day 4 or so while everyone else was laboriously making low-end pistols by the thousands and deleting them. Those people made such insane money and then there was absolutely nothing to really buy with it--but it was a permanent gap that no one else could ever approach...

That's exactly what happened with New World. And the only way to fix it would be a rollback to before the exploits were notices, and that would piss off their players, and a lot of them would quit. So they are stuck with it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: