Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:47:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 938068 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #560 on: October 24, 2013, 01:39:20 PM

A (just published) FAQ about the recent Hornet sale (you might find it useful, Miasma):

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13340-Hornet-FAQ

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: October 24, 2013, 03:50:34 PM

Also, the "Lore Builder" program was started.

Hello and welcome to the first installment of LORE BUILDER, where we pick an unexplored aspect of the Star Citizen lore and develop it with the community’s help.

The SC community contributed by writing and making up profiles of past Murray Cup notable personalities (winners but not only them):

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/13339-Lore-Builder-Racing-Issue-Two (posted today)

Again, this was just a sampling of some of the great work you all contributed. We are compiling many of the entries into a master document and will hopefully be able to incorporate them into the vaults of the MCR Museum located in the city of Aydo on Green (Ellis III). There are potentially four hundred and fifty years of Murray Cup winners, so keep them coming.

Next week we’ll share some of the interesting events that occurred in the Murray Cup and start discussing the sport of the future: SataBall.

This is quite a cool collaboration between the developers and the community. From what I understand, Racing will be implemented as a proper (mini)game system;  apparently, same goes with the mysterious "SataBall".

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #562 on: October 24, 2013, 08:37:34 PM

I guess the super hornet upgrade is limited and ends on monday but the other variants are permanent.
Terracotta Army

Reply #563 on: October 25, 2013, 04:52:09 AM

I guess the super hornet upgrade is limited and ends on monday but the other variants are permanent.

The Super Hornet sale got extended 1 week (Nov 4th) due to US Government employees having only just got back to work
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #564 on: October 25, 2013, 06:10:19 AM

Tea party republicans have made many powerful space nerd enemies this day.  I mean they don't have any money to contribute to actual political campaigns since it's all tied up in virtual space ships but I can foresee several vicious reddit threads and tweets in their future!  Woe unto them.

Edit: Also the super hornet upgrade looks pretty good.  Bigger power plant, an extra seat to haul a buddy/prisoner/bounty, limited number of them and it's an actual hull change (a couple meters longer to fit the larger cockpit) so it's unlikely any other hornet could be upgraded to it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:13:46 AM by Miasma »
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #565 on: October 25, 2013, 11:12:06 AM

Tea party republicans have made many powerful space nerd enemies this day.  I mean they don't have any money to contribute to actual political campaigns since it's all tied up in virtual space ships but I can foresee several vicious reddit threads and tweets in their future!  Woe unto them.

Could you elaborate?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: October 25, 2013, 11:32:02 AM

I'm soooo confused... I'm supposed to pay more than a hundred dollars for a virtual ship to a game that doesn't exist yet?

Their price points seem very high. What am I getting exactly for a $150 ship?

WayAbvPar

Reply #567 on: October 25, 2013, 12:14:09 PM

Hope, and fairy dust, and unicorns!

Also a sinking feeling that you are being fleeced.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:47:37 PM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #568 on: October 25, 2013, 12:46:55 PM

There are cheaper ships, the hornet looks like it will be the most powerful dogfighting type ship available so I guess it costs more.  There are also way more expensive ships...

For the money you get the ship (which if it is the limited edition might be very desirable), the single player game, the multiplayer game, all the unlocked rewards, alpha/beta access, the hanger mod you can download now and so on.  Most of us buying a ship now have life time insurance as well so the ship itself will be replaced at no cost once it inevitably gets blown up (the hull only not any gear you put on it).

As a side note I guess there is a way to extend lifetime insurance to others if you already have it on your account.  Something about them sending you the cost in credits and then if you (the person with LTI) buys the ship and then gifts it to them the LTI is still enabled.  You should read a proper description before trying it though.  You can also sign up to get discontinued ships if the people who have already signed up change their minds.
schild
Administrator

Reply #569 on: October 25, 2013, 12:57:03 PM

This is either the most brilliant scam in the history of gaming or the most brilliant scam in the history of gaming.

It can only be one of those.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: October 25, 2013, 01:17:58 PM

I'm soooo confused... I'm supposed to pay more than a hundred dollars for a virtual ship to a game that doesn't exist yet?

Their price points seem very high. What am I getting exactly for a $150 ship?

Or, you can pay 60$ when it comes out. Cheapest pledge is about 15-30 I think. None of the ship pledges pertain to any personally hosted worlds, only the persistent.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 01:19:34 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #571 on: October 25, 2013, 02:14:35 PM

Too bad there is no auction house otherwise we could track dreams getting crushed in near real-time.

"Me am play gods"
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #572 on: October 25, 2013, 03:45:05 PM

Too bad there is no auction house otherwise we could track dreams getting crushed in near real-time.
They have so many people on waiting lists for some ships, including the most expensive one, that the company is willing to refund your money if you change your mind since they can immediately resell it to the next person in line.

How much does that linked ship cost you ask?  Five thousand dollars.  Of course, since it's a mini carrier that can fit three other ships inside it you'd be crazy to buy it without also buying those additional ships!
WayAbvPar

Reply #573 on: October 25, 2013, 03:49:19 PM

Are there any in game mechanics where a group of people could permanently destroy something like that? Because I will laugh myself sick doing it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: October 25, 2013, 04:02:46 PM

I think anyone who has purchased this stuff with real money has the life time insurance, so they'll get a replacement.  You can destroy all the guns/mods whatever stuff they've equipped on it forever though.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #575 on: October 25, 2013, 04:53:26 PM

Anyone who builds one without lifetime insurance can lose it forever yes, that's why some people are crazy enough to buy these now.  I'm sure most of them are EvE pilots who got blown up in a Titan when they were still new.  You can put a dollar amount on losses in EvE since you can buy in game currency for real life money from players and the cost of getting a Titan blown up back then was around ten thousand dollars (that amount would have been spread out over the entire alliance in terms of man hours though).  I don't know what the cost is nowadays but I assume they are cheaper and more plentiful.

I bet there are a lot of titan pilots who would be willing to pay that much for security.  The problem is that Cloud Imperium hasn't really finalized how insurance will work.  They have said you will get your ship hull back, but they have also said it might take a while for the insurance to go through.  Possibly the more expensive the ship the longer it will take to be replaced.  It's all theorycrafting and guessing right now.

So long as I spend less money on this than I have on HEX I'll feel okay about it.  I only have one ship right now, a hornet upgraded to super hornet.  I will probably buy a freelancer plus an upgrade when it comes out and then I'm done.  I'll have a fighty ship and a businessy/hauly ship with both those hulls insured forever and that's all I'll ever need.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:55:33 PM by Miasma »
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #576 on: October 25, 2013, 05:29:29 PM

Do they realize that "lifetime insurance" moves the PVP game away from being like EVE (everything can be destroyed) and closer to being like WoW (your tiered gear is soulbound)?  I mean that has game repercussions beyond just what happens to the ships.  For example, can other players activate this "lifetime insurance" thing on their fallen buddies during battle, like a rez ability?  Is there a stretch goal for that?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: October 25, 2013, 05:55:55 PM

You can insure anything in game with in game currency, just like eve. So. no.

For example, can other players activate this "lifetime insurance" thing on their fallen buddies during battle, like a rez ability?  Is there a stretch goal for that?

No, its tied to the account/ship. In fact I recall reading a while ago. This may not still be true. But if your ship is stolen, the LTI is gone. ( Ship boarding is to be rare and an undertaking in itself )
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:00:42 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: October 25, 2013, 06:22:40 PM

You can insure anything in game with in game currency, just like eve. So. no.

For example, can other players activate this "lifetime insurance" thing on their fallen buddies during battle, like a rez ability?  Is there a stretch goal for that?

No, its tied to the account/ship. In fact I recall reading a while ago. This may not still be true. But if your ship is stolen, the LTI is gone. ( Ship boarding is to be rare and an undertaking in itself )

I can't wait until someone's $5000 ship is boarded and stolen.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: October 25, 2013, 07:14:44 PM

There is going to be guilds dedicated entirely to doing that.

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: October 25, 2013, 07:35:40 PM

wasn't there a spreadsheet showing the goons had like, 4 of them?

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #581 on: October 25, 2013, 09:46:28 PM

Four what, Idris carriers?

I checked the spreadsheet and while you can only get an Idris now with the $5000 pledge package there must have been a sale or something previous where the base model was going for a mere $1000.

The goon roster currently has 29 of them.  The total goon fleet dollar value is over $200,000 right now.  That's probably peanuts compared to the EvE fleet value but then the game isn't released yet.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: October 25, 2013, 10:11:21 PM

Well then.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #583 on: October 26, 2013, 02:27:40 AM

So, yeah. Turns out a black market already exists for available-to-early-backer-only digital goods.  awesome, for real
Originally launched a year ago, Cloud Imperium Games’ Star Citizen went on to break crowdfunding records and continues to pull in huge amounts of money from an avid fanbase. It remains to be see whether Chris Roberts and his team can make everyone happy, but right now the operation is a wonder to behold.

However, behind the developers' ongoing crowdfunding campaign to support development, a player operated market emerged that sells in-game goods for real money. This market has aimed at circumventing certain limits while enriching the dealers both in real world and virtual currency. These dealers are capitalizing on demand for items and features removed from the regular store and are thus unavailable to new backers who arrived late to the community.
http://themittani.com/features/star-citizens-grey-market

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #584 on: October 26, 2013, 04:26:51 AM

EDITED: Nevermind.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: October 26, 2013, 07:55:07 AM

This whole thing is the bitcoin of MMOs.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #586 on: October 26, 2013, 11:17:21 AM

I still totally just want to purchase the game as a doodads edition. Where I get all the physical shit they send the people who spent thousands of dollars on their fantasy future potential digital pretend spaceship.

Like, the card, the little models, the fold-out felt map of the game world, the game manual I have to have for when the dockmaster on terra asks me "What be the third word on the sixteenth page of thy instruction booklet?"
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #587 on: October 26, 2013, 11:20:58 AM

But I start with literally zero in-game advantage or leather seating or anything. Just the doodads.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #588 on: October 26, 2013, 11:47:40 AM

So, yeah. Turns out a black market already exists for available-to-early-backer-only digital goods.  awesome, for real
Originally launched a year ago, Cloud Imperium Games’ Star Citizen went on to break crowdfunding records and continues to pull in huge amounts of money from an avid fanbase. It remains to be see whether Chris Roberts and his team can make everyone happy, but right now the operation is a wonder to behold.

However, behind the developers' ongoing crowdfunding campaign to support development, a player operated market emerged that sells in-game goods for real money. This market has aimed at circumventing certain limits while enriching the dealers both in real world and virtual currency. These dealers are capitalizing on demand for items and features removed from the regular store and are thus unavailable to new backers who arrived late to the community.
http://themittani.com/features/star-citizens-grey-market

Next step space prostitution?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
schild
Administrator

Reply #589 on: October 26, 2013, 12:07:51 PM

Can we just move this whole thread to the Eve subforum which is what that will become in 18 years when this "game" actually comes out and leaves everyone heartbroken?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: October 27, 2013, 02:22:40 PM

It's that time again: $25M funding reached, new letter from Uncle Roberts:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13345-Letter-From-The-Chairman-25-Million

So, "Enhanced Alpha" goal reached (along with 50K new alpha slots), FTL: Star Citizen edition on the horizon and the following new objective at $27M:

Banu Merchantman Unlocked – Banu traders are renowed for their merchant prowess, traveling the spacelanes and trading with everyone from humans to the Vanduul! Their sturdy, dedicated trading ships are prized beyond all other transports, sometimes passing from generation to generation of Banu. At $23 million we dedicated additional resources to making Xi’An spacecraft a unique experience. At $27 million, we will expand that same thinking to the Banu! Starting with the merchant ship, the design team will expand Banu technology to offer players a completely different way of experiencing their universe.

Then, the closure mentions (again) the so called "feature creep" issue:

Even though we’ve fully funded the base game, every extra dollar helps to make the experience better. The content we talk about in these stretch goals isn’t “feature creep”; it’s elements we’ve been building and planning that will be all that more impressive with additional resources. In essence, you’re putting things we’ve already discussed for the future into development now. The extra funding means we’re secure in assigning resources to go ahead and begin developing that richer content we had initially planned to fund through the game’s success upon release.

Thank you for your continued support of and trust in project. You have empowered the team to make Star Citizen something truly special… the Best Damn Space Sim Ever!

— Chris Roberts

For those wondering, here's a list of the known species of the Star Citizen/S42 universe:

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Races

Yeah, they still have to unveil the Kr'Thak (sounds kinda familiar, uh? ;) and the Tevarin, although the latter were almost totally wiped out by the Humans.
----

The lore and backstory of SC/S42 has been told, for the most part, through a "time capsule" series which served as a "lead up" to the announcement of the project back in 2012. Here's it, if you are interested:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link?channel=&series=time-capsule&type=&text=&sort=publish_old

Read the first entry (2075) and proceed downward.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: October 27, 2013, 02:42:16 PM

Sooooo how many hundreds does it cost to get in on this Banu Merchantman business?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: October 28, 2013, 05:49:58 AM

$60, if you wait for launch.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #593 on: November 04, 2013, 08:10:48 PM

Based on an email from the SA thread it sounds as though every limited ship other than the IdrisM and Scythe will be getting a one day sale before the 26th lifetime insurance date passes, they will be releasing a schedule of when and what.

They have also been more forceful in stating that this sperging over LTI isn't worth it and that the only reason to buy ships now is to support the game and avoid grinding out some space money for a few dozen hours to buy the ships later.  LTI is not going to be that significant a cost savings and buying ships now just saves you some ingame time.

I have my Super Hornet fighter and my Freelancer serious business ship so I am mostly done, I will buy a variant upgrade for my freelancer once they come out and that's it.

Edit: Typo.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:26:02 PM by Miasma »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: November 05, 2013, 07:10:09 AM

They have also been more forceful in stating that this sperging over LTI isn't worth it and that the only reason to buy ships now is to support the game and avoid grinding out some space money for a few dozen hours to buy the ships later.  LTI is not going to be that significant a cost savings and buying ships now just saves you some ingame time.

That's how its always been really.

The best deal is the 30$ package, which saves you some real money come launch.

Also, $26 Million hit.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: